PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacer Dilema

strokeZ
08-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Well I am getting the re-mod itch once again. I would really like to install some lights on my roof - but I am also thinking of going to a 4" superlift. Problem is that I cannot do both due to height restrictions at my work and home garage. Why taller? I am not happy with the track width I have on the current set up (RR 2.25" w stock rims). My thought was to lift the rig again w new rims for a wider track and keep my existing tires. My first option was wheel spacers BUT seems to me that most people have issues with inner fender wells and pinch welds in front. I am not a fan of bending welds and cutting on the plastic. I am running 265/70/17 BFG A/T KO's.

Now I was convinced that spacers would give me a headache from everything I have read until I saw HueyPilotVN on the other thread state that he has no issues whatsoever in front with same size tire and same lift. So now I am hopeful, but confused. Can anyone shed some light on this.....please? It would be great to just do spacers and the lights!

Doc in AZ
08-24-2010, 12:23 PM
if you get spidertrax or similar billet wheel spacers and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS for installation you won't have problems, i ran them on my jeep for quite some time until i could get some new rims. to be honest, if you are going to stay with the same width rim, you will rub the same stuff whether you use a wheel spacer or get a rim with less backspacing. my tires used to rub my sway bar at full lock on a turn, those were 7" rims with a 1.25" spacer. when i switched to 8" rims with 3.75" backspace i didn't rub anymore. this is because even though the distance between the bead seating surface and wheel mounting surface were the same, the extra inch of width allowed the tire to move out an inch, which was all i needed. but any time you change the backspacing of the rims you are changine the center line of the tire from an axis pivot to a radius arch.