PDA

View Full Version : Which winch? Help me answer a stupid question.

Holiday Jones
03-10-2015, 09:46 AM
So China Inc (aka. Harbor Freight) had a sale on their badlands 12000lbs winch. $292, but their replacement plan is not as cheap as I guess they used to be. One year cost me $80, and with tax it was about $400. I just came across a Rough Country 12,000lbs and a Smittybilt 12,000 winch both at $400, but the Smittybilt was free shipping, lifetime mechanical warranty, and 3 year electrical warranty. So what I'm thinking is returning the Badlands , and ordering the Smittybilt. I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but which winch do you guys think is best quality?
Any experience with any of these winches?

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep-Winch-Accessories/XRC-12K-GEN2-Winch.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100700&t_pn=S/B97412&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrPqnBRD56dGe1o_WlZsBEiQAb5ugt-5Mv2erXUa_xQ_Qea1mqEu4wPXcDalSg8pNd7HaOrwaAjg38P8H AQ

http://www.roughcountry.com/electric-winch-rs12000.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwrPqnBRD56dGe1o_WlZsBEiQ Ab5ugtycmKdiC7MAlK9yNP2w5Tfzn4DyeLVhiIs5vCI-YzJcaAhA48P8HAQ

Matt
03-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Id go with smitty..... I recall the reviews being pretty good, and I wouldn't trust a no-name rebranded rough country winch.

Sal-XK
03-10-2015, 04:57 PM
I'd go with the Smitty just for the warranty. All these winches are made in china so at least take a gamble with the best warranty.

Knappster
03-11-2015, 06:40 AM
I agree with the others, Get the Smittybilt.

I checked my price and I would have to add shipping so the deal you posted is better than anything I can offer too.

thance
03-11-2015, 08:25 AM
I have the smittybuilt 9k for a couple of years now. Very light use, spends most of the time inside. I have a front reciever that it hooks to with a curt mounting plate. Mine is like new and have never had any problems with it, but I would recommend keeping it portable as constant exposure to the elements will wear anything out. Also, it can be used front or rear.

Holiday Jones
03-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I have the 4xguard reciever mount, and I wanted for those reasons.^ especially being able to use front or back, as usually I get into stuff that I should never get into.lol I just have to run cables to the back in some way. Has anyone done that? If so, would it be better to run cables under the body along the "frame" or through the jeep under the carpet? Under the carpet concern would be heat build up probably

Sal-XK
03-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Hueypilot has done that setup. Not sure if its in his garage thread or not.

Holiday Jones
03-11-2015, 06:12 PM
I can't find his garage...it's he still a member?

Sal-XK
03-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Here you go Transferable Winch (http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?104-Transferable-Winch) He didn't route his cables but lists all the parts he used to make his cables at least.

Holiday Jones
03-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Huh, I guess it was a good idea he never got around to. I'm going to look into routing inner the jeep securely. Might be a good addition to my garage

Sal-XK
03-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Huh, I guess it was a good idea he never got around to. I'm going to look into routing inner the jeep securely. Might be a good addition to my garage

Definitely take pics and do a write up so others can benefit from it. Just from thinking of the layout an under jeep route should be a lot easier.

thance
03-12-2015, 08:02 PM
I started with a 20' long pair of jumper cables (2 gauge stranded wire if I recall). Cut off a bout 3 feet and wired to the battery and down to the front mount where I attached a quick disconnect. Warn makes them but they are expensive, you can save a lot of money with a generic pair (MileMaker?). I have both and quality is the same. Then I attached the matching quick disconnect to the wires that came with the winch.

I have always intended on routing the rest of the wire along the frame rail and attaching a quick disconnect at either end for the rear but haven't got that far yet. I must have been planning on the write-up once that was complete, but this will havae to suffice for now.

Holiday Jones
03-13-2015, 04:10 PM
That's a start. I actually returned the badlands winch last week, but then somehow bills got in the way.(they have a habit of doing that) I'm going to order the Smittybilt soon, then start collecting all the other accessories. I also have to put my RC lift Bruijr sold me, but that probably won't be til next month. Sigh*; money and time, I seem to run out of both freaquently.lol

andjon2
04-27-2017, 12:51 AM
I bought a Smittybilt winch (http://4wheelonline.com/jeep/Smittybilt_Winches.134507) last January. It is slightly slower than a Warn, but it gets my rig out just fine. I have no major issues with my Smittybilt. For the money, I can say that it is a good choice.