PDA

View Full Version : Lost Over Drive

Holiday Jones
03-22-2015, 10:13 AM
So my check engine light has been coming on and off randomly since I bought it two months ago. When I had it read, it said it read throwing some sort of transmission code, but then it turned off. But yesterday, I drive to Webster FL for one of my friends weddings, which is about 2 1/2 hours away from saint Augustine where I'm at. On my way back, I had a hard stop at a red light I didn't see. About 5 minutes later, after another brake, turn, accelerate, there a LOUD bang in the Drivetrain, the CEL came on immediately, and now I have no OD. At 60mph, I'm at 2,000rpm. Any ideas?

Holiday Jones
03-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Also, I've noticed on threads talking about the MDS system, that all you have to do is move the stick to the left once, which everyone describes as "5th"....when I push it once, the indicator says "4". Idk what that means, plus I'm pretty sure the MDS still comes on when it's in "4"...

Sal-XK
03-22-2015, 07:37 PM
What type of bang? Was it like a metal banging noise? What codes are you throwing now?

Holiday Jones
03-23-2015, 04:14 AM
Well, now the CEL went off, and it seems to be working again...it has a slipping problem tho that's also random. It was used to pull something at one time, add they did install a trailer break system. The sound was almost like a metal that was bound up, then let go. It was loud, and in the either the trans, or xfr case. I'm not sure what it's issue is. When the light comes on again, I'll read the codes. Every time I've taken it to read codes, it's that trip that the light goes off...

Holiday Jones
03-23-2015, 04:17 AM
But the "drive" to "4th" gear issue has always been the same

Sal-XK
03-23-2015, 01:34 PM
That's weird for sure your describing two separate problems kinda. The loud metal clank is it's own problem. While the gear selector is another but kinda related LOL. If your having trans slipping the computer might have you in limp mode but that should throw codes. I wonder if the PO did anything to the programming. Either way when was the last time you did a trans drop on the trans and changed the filters? Also when was the TC done?

Holiday Jones
03-23-2015, 05:01 PM
I don't know when any of it was done. I'm having all of it changed asap. I've only had it since January, and I just have had time or $$$ yet. I'm going to do that first, and go from there. Worst case is the trans is worn out I guess.

Sal-XK
03-23-2015, 10:34 PM
I don't know when any of it was done. I'm having all of it changed asap. I've only had it since January, and I just have had time or $$$ yet. I'm going to do that first, and go from there. Worst case is the trans is worn out I guess.

The trans on these things are pretty solid. I would suspect the TC though before the trans for any mechanical damage. That being said both of them depend on clean fresh fluid to stay dependable.

06JeepXKHEMI
03-24-2015, 06:08 AM
Sounds like a clogged filter to me. Get a 2 stage flush done. A 2 stage flush basically keeps the filter in replaces old fluid with new and flushes new fluid thru old filter. Then it drops the pan again, changes fluid and filter and replaces all with new fluid and filter. Should be $150-200 but well worth it if you dont know when or if it was ever done

Holiday Jones
03-24-2015, 07:08 AM
How is that an advantage over just replacing the filter/fluid? Jw

06JeepXKHEMI
03-24-2015, 07:58 AM
Cause when you do just a standard pan drop and filter change you dont get all the fluid out, some stays in the torque converter. Its normal for fluid to get very minimal amounts of metal shavings in it. Most sensors are essentially magnets in the transmission, so when you get to much shavings, itll stick to the sensors and make them faulty. Its normal. You may have a bad OD sensor too. But the 2 stage flush drops the pan, you add new fluid, then you cycle it thru the old filter instead of clogging up a new one, then drop and run new fluids in it. Make sense, kind of jumped around there a bit!

Holiday Jones
03-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Yah, that sounds right. Thx

Holiday Jones
04-04-2015, 08:42 AM
So, the light came on again, no transmission codes, so I'm assuming it's just dirty fluid. Waiting on taxes to get it all done. BUT there are two engine codes:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2015/04/bd6ac5c6680baed9003439e1d427e927-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2015/04/d6ed22794ec19c97229f0701ffa74d27-1.jpg

They look the same, the reader just said there were 2/2. Any one know what those mean?

Holiday Jones
04-04-2015, 08:43 AM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2015/04/d43593a8a7b5d5300d53d7d833d41b44-1.jpg