PDA

View Full Version : Headlight access door

strokeZ
08-25-2010, 06:44 AM
So stupid me left the little door that you access the foglight / headlight bulb open the last time I changed it and it got ripped off by the tire. Anyone have a good idea on how to cover the hole? I am guessing a new one calls for a fully new fender liner since its attached at the top.

LWM
08-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Get some black duct tape.

cico7
08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
I tore my door off too because I didnt fold it back in. I drilled a hole in the top of the door and also in the fender well. reattached it with
an aluminum rivet on a hinge.

07JeepXK
08-25-2010, 10:08 AM
I would just use the duct tape idea. All that door does is allow access to the lights like you stated so as long as you block dirt and debris from getting in there it will be fine.

cico7
08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
My concern with duct tape is that it would get wet and fall off. Duct tape isnt expensive, but the door keep water from getting in.
If you go thru a large puddle of water, would it get in the filter? Could it?
Do you want to patch a hole in a 30-40,000 vehicle with duct tape?

strokeZ
08-25-2010, 11:33 AM
problem is I was on the freeway when I heard it rubbing and before I could exit it tore off. Duct tape might be my only way out.

Adondo
08-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Mine broke when I upgraded the fogs to HID. I used thin aluminum and pop rivets. I used small hinges at the top, and hold the new covers shut with screws. I can remove the screws and hinge the door open for access.

El Comandante
09-02-2010, 11:05 AM
I lost mine while mudding at the Badlands but I didn't think they were hinged, it seemed as if they snapped in at the top and bottom so they might be replaceable. I have a 2008 XK so could they have redesigned these access panels to be replaceable? I have yet to look for them at the dealer or online.

strokeZ
10-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Yes the 08 must be different than the 07 design. I ended up cutting some plastic and riveting it into the space. Seems to be working.......

El Comandante
10-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Just as an update I did go to the dealer to look for the access door and they said it is part of the entire fender liner so to replace just the door you would have to purchase a whole new liner. The liner itself was about $35 at the dealer, I actually found the same liner online for $10 per side. Once I received the replacement liner I quickly learned why it was so much cheaper than OEM. This $10 liner was made of really thin plastic, it reminded me of a highschool plastic folder. I didn't replace it but it served for extra plastic to cut out my own access door. I ended up cutting it to the size I needed and attached it with two plastic rivets at the top and cut a notch in the bottom for the door to stay shut by snapping in place. I can't see it being a problem but if it does end up falling then I'll simply spend the $70 to replace both sides.

wmjacobsjr
10-16-2010, 07:07 PM
I lost the passenger side door at the Mounds and the driverside at Jeepskool I have yet to put anything over the holes yet. Both were closed when I lost them.

mrnavy2
06-16-2012, 07:08 AM
I noticed that when i purchased my 08 XK a few months ago, that it was missing the top Light Covers (Under the Hood) on both sides. Does anyone know where i can get a used set? But I think i read someplace that the 08's did not come with those Headlight Covers. Is this possible or true.. Thanks Steve..

07JeepXK
06-17-2012, 03:53 PM
My Commander didn't come with them. I ended up have to replace the drives side head light after a wheeling incident where my brother hooked up a tow strap with hooks on it and the strap broke and hook went through my head light. I ordered a new one online and it came with the cover. So I have one with and one without. Jeep my have been pinching penny's when they built mine