PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Camp Commander 2011 / Planning Thread

LWM
08-25-2010, 02:17 PM
I know this is real early for some, but I want to get a headstart on WC Camp XK 2011.

For starters we need to select the date for this event. I assume from the discussion at Camp XK 2010 that most people want to return to Silverton and I have no problem with that.

The International Full Size Jeep Club has their event set for July 20 - 22

There is no official date for the FJ-Summit 2011 as of todays date but I will keep an eye on their forum for that information.

Rocky Mountain Canary
08-26-2010, 10:20 AM
I will plan to be there again

WanderingTs
08-26-2010, 10:48 PM
I am not completely against going back to Silverton, but this is West Coast Camp Commander. With all of the Rockies, Sierra Nevadas, Casades, and desert areas to pick from, maybe seeing some new country wouldn't be such a bad thing? Once conquered, trails can be pretty, but they just don't hold the same mystic quailty of going someplace new that some or all of us havent seen before.

LWM
08-27-2010, 10:58 AM
This event can be anywhere and at anytime, the key thing for me is early planning so that the masses can arrange for th etime off and make plans.

El Cid
08-27-2010, 06:26 PM
It seems like Colorado is a good "central" location for the attendees so far -- a number of folks are coming from the east to attend -- and it also works well for the time of year. I might well be hitting Moab and/or the deep canyon country this year, but that'll have to happen in May, before it's too bloody hot on the rocks.

There are other places in Colorado, though, besides Silverton. Staying in the San Juans, of course, we could mix things up by basing out of Ouray. But there's great Jeeping in other parts of the state, too. Out of Fairplay, for instance, there's several Ophir-like passes, pucker-inducing Red Cone, and really difficult runs like Boulder Alley.

WanderingTs
08-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I have no objections to Colorado, or the San Juans. I agree it is fairly central for those who attended last year. I would second the motion to maybe base out of Ouray perhaps. Staying in Silverton is even fine though if we are close enough to the other trails in the area we haven't seen yet.

07JeepXK
08-28-2010, 07:51 AM
I wanted to make a trip out west but unfortunately ill be in Iraq all of next year.

LWM
08-28-2010, 09:37 AM
The people ate Red Mountain are really good to us too and we have a relationship that keeps the prices lower than everywhere else and they throw in some extras like the grill, next year Jim said he would give us a meeting tent if we want one.

WanderingTs
09-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I liked Red Mountain, but while I haven't priced RV sites in the Colorado area, I wasn't that impressd that we got a good deal. We stopped in Moab for two nights on the way to Colorado and had just as good or better for half the price.

LWM
09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I liked Red Mountain, but while I haven't priced RV sites in the Colorado area, I wasn't that impressd that we got a good deal. We stopped in Moab for two nights on the way to Colorado and had just as good or better for half the price.

I shopped the area and Red Mountain is the best price there, the only cheaper option is dry camping.

brendon
09-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't mind trying another part of the state. If we went to the Fairlplay area, we could even do Mosquito Pass - the highest 4x4 pass in North America. I know there is also a bunch of stuff up near Central City/Empire as I drove past the trail heads last year.

LWM
09-05-2010, 12:00 AM
We are certainly not locked into the Silverton area. I do know that several of our fellow campers go to Silverton every year so we may or may not get them to take off and join us elsewhere but Colorado is such a beautiful state I know I would like to see more.

WanderingTs
09-05-2010, 12:16 AM
I agree there is much to see in Colorado. I have been several times elk hunting to areas only 30 miles or so as the crow flies from where we did runs out of Silverton and saw different and beautiful country.

El Cid
09-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I suppose my recommendation would be to repeat the San Juans once more for West Coast Camp, but running from a different base to mix things up: Ouray or Ridgway, probably.

One could then adequately plan for somewhere else in Colorado for the National Camp event. Gunnison, Fairplay, and Buena Vista come quickly to mind. Perhaps best, though, would be Georgetown, which is easy to access just out of Denver on the interstate, but is also close to a wide range of terrific trails. I do think most folks would enjoy something like that more than a private park.

consolidation
09-06-2010, 07:41 AM
We typically go to Silverton every year anyway, so I really enjoy being able to combine our many interests into one trip. There are many trails in the area that we have yet to attempt, particularly south of Silverton. I don't think it makes much sense to stay in Ouray, when we can camp cheaper in Silverton.

I have stayed all over Colorado and think that the Silverton area is the prettiest and has the most to offer. However, my second favorite CO spot is around Leadville. There are a lot of trails around there as well.

Tymac
09-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Like I have said in years past when asked where in Colorado would I like to wheel....my answer has always been a simple yes. Just tell me when and where to meet everyone and we'll be there. Plus we plan on spending at least 4 days in camp next year. My business meetings in Indy have always had me leaving camp early. We'll we have changed those dates to July 8 & 9, 2011 so I don't have to rush back.

LWM
09-06-2010, 06:13 PM
We'll we have changed those dates to July 8 & 9, 2011 so I don't have to rush back.

Unless we have camp Commander on July 4-10! :)

WanderingTs
09-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Any holiday weekend is very hard for me to get time off. While I have ten years of senority, in my current assignment I am (thanks to 100 layoffs) one of the junior guys. This means getting vacation on or around a holiday is next to impossible. Same thing for my wife.

Also holidays tend to be higher rates and less flexibility on reservations due to demand. I would also expect more traffic on the trails.

Mid to late July or early August would take my vote.

Northern Colorado, Georgetown as El Cid put forward, would be some closer and offer different opportunities for side trips. Both plusses in my book.

LWM
09-07-2010, 01:21 PM
It looks like the Full Size Jeep Club & FJ Summit are both looking at July 20th - July 22nd so if we go to Silverton we need to go during any other time frame.

redrockv8
09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
It looks like the Full Size Jeep Club & FJ Summit are both looking at July 20th - July 22nd so if we go to Silverton we need to go during any other time frame.

Or we could mount twin 60's on the roof of our Commanders and challenge the FJ's to a duel in the mountains.
HT

LWM
11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Something to consider when selecting dates for WC Camp Commander 2011:

2011 Ouray FSJ Invasion - July 20-22, 2011

Not really a big deal, they have not announced FJ Summit dates as of yet.

consolidation
11-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I doubt we will be able to attend next year. My breaks are May 29-June 5 and August 14-28. Both times mean cold weather in the higher elevations. It is tough to take time off between breaks. I'll check back often as you guys hash out the details and I'll just have to see if it is doable.

Tymac
11-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I doubt we will be able to attend next year. My breaks are May 29-June 5 and August 14-28. Both times mean cold weather in the higher elevations. It is tough to take time off between breaks. I'll check back often as you guys hash out the details and I'll just have to see if it is doable.

Don't worry TJ, Christy and I will grab a 4x4 rental and go wheeling with you in February and April when we're back in Vegas.

ped4599
12-29-2010, 01:42 AM
It always seems like I can not commit. And I dont know that we will make it this year since we have another vacation planned with another couple to Vegas. but there is always a chance....so i will keep checking in on this thread.

I love Silverton, but seeing new places is always much of the reason we take vacations. If there are good trails in other parts of colorado it could be good to see new stuff. My only reason for Going to silverton is to someday finish Poukeepsie.......but thats a long drive for half of a trail.....other wise, I would want to get some new trail stickers for my side window, i have all the silverton ones. :)

I know that Georgetown is a cool place, as El Cid mentioned, if there are plenty of trails around there, it could be an option.

LWM
12-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I too look forward to new trails, Black Bear was the draw for me last summer so we will have to come up with a new trail or two this year as well.

WanderingTs
12-31-2010, 04:03 AM
It is vacation bid time! I have to bid for my vacation time in the next couple weeks. If I don't put in now, it will have to be much closer to the date I am asking for off before I can bid for time off. It is then also subject to being unavailable due to other people's bids. Is it too early for others planning to attend to start finalizing a date? Do we need to finalize where before picking a date to ensure facilities are available at that time?

LWM
12-31-2010, 10:07 AM
I think I have the most flexibility so I can adjust to meet the needs of the majority.

WanderingTs
12-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Must be nice to be "The Man" in charge

LWM
01-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Must be nice to be "The Man" in charge

It does have it's perks!

brendon
01-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Here's another vote for the Georgetown area.

My wife just asked if we were going again this year, to which I replied that I feel I need to go as it's now an annual thing, but I'm burnt out on Silverton. Variety is the spice of life!

LWM
01-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Here's another vote for the Georgetown area.

My wife just asked if we were going again this year, to which I replied that I feel I need to go as it's now an annual thing, but I'm burnt out on Silverton. Variety is the spice of life!

I searched Georgetown and didn't see any mention of off road trails, anyone have experience in that area? Also need a camp site.

brendon
01-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Check out www.traildamage.com There's lots of trail reports for the area, ranging from mostly easy/moderate to very difficult. Other towns in the general vicinity would be Empire, Central City (follow hwy 119 north from Central City - there are lots of trails in this area as well), Keystone, Idaho Springs

I don't think the whole Jeep thing is as commercialized in this area as it is in the San Juans, but looks like there are potentially more trails here.

WanderingTs
01-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Since we didn't get a date down, I used my annual vacation bid for hunting season. That does not mean I won't get to go to camp, but it does mean getting time off will be more difficult and I won't know until shortly before the dates if I am going to get it. Since I now have to work around other peoples vacations, avoiding holiday weekends will help my chances of getting the time off to go.

LWM
01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Since we didn't get a date down, I used my annual vacation bid for hunting season. That does not mean I won't get to go to camp, but it does mean getting time off will be more difficult and I won't know until shortly before the dates if I am going to get it. Since I now have to work around other peoples vacations, avoiding holiday weekends will help my chances of getting the time off to go.

Glad you got your hunt dates, sorry about not having a date for Camp Commander. The response has been slow this year but we will get a date soon I hope so others including myself can begin to make plans.

El Cid
01-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Lots and lots of 4-wheeling in the area there. As mentioned, Traildamage.com is a great source. Also, the Mile-Hi Jeep Club met there in 2004 if you want some write-ups and such:

http://hobojeepers.tripod.com/AFF04main.htm

Not sure what sort of amenities folks will need for camping, but there are quite a few options in the area. Just a bit toward Denver is Idaho Springs, which has this one:

http://www.cottonwoodrvcolorado.com/

Idaho Springs also has Beau-Jo's, home of the Colorado Mountain Pie:

http://www.beaujos.com/

And there's whitewater rafting thereabouts, too.

I won't be into that neck of the woods until July, but after that should be good to go wherever.

LWM
01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I won't be into that neck of the woods until July, but after that should be good to go wherever.

So anytime in July works for you or is there a best time in July?

El Cid
01-15-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm stuck in South Carolina until at least 30 June, so I probably won't be into Colorado until around 6 July. World doesn't revolve around me, though. (Unfortunately.)

Sal-XK
01-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Something to consider when selecting dates for WC Camp Commander 2011:

2011 Ouray FSJ Invasion - July 20-22, 2011

Not really a big deal, they have not announced FJ Summit dates as of yet.

Don't we drive full size jeeps our selves. :p

I asked the wife if she wanted to go to Colorado in july and she said "MMMMM wait what type of off road crap is going on in Colorado in july" :D:D I'm going to work on her and see if we can make this. Not sure if I would drive that far on my own or not but we will see.

LWM
01-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Not sure what sort of amenities folks will need for camping, but there are quite a few options in the area. Just a bit toward Denver is Idaho Springs, which has this one:

http://www.cottonwoodrvcolorado.com/

These guys do not take groups in July and would not give me a price, I will keep looking around and if anyone in the areas knows of a place let us know.

LWM
01-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Don't we drive full size jeeps our selves. :p

I asked them once about that, they said the Commander is too new to qualify for their club.

LWM
01-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I did find a place called Mountain Meadow Campground in Empire Colorado that sounds good but I cannot find any info or a current phone number. They have 48 sites with full hook-ups and are 15 miles from Georgetown.

LWM
01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Looking like the last two weeks of July cover the most people, Any preference?

LWM
01-21-2011, 12:32 PM
There is a KOA in Buena Vista and it looks like many great trails, how does that sound?

Also do you want the event to be during weekdays so you can travel on the weekend or a weekend event?

LWM
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
I got off the phone with Gene from Buena Vista Colorado Snowy Peaks Campground http://www.snowypeaksrvpark.com/index.htm and he said he still has spots available if we are interested. We do need to pick dates soon as all the campgrounds are filling up fast.

Also Mile High Jeep Club has a big event in Salida July 30th to August 6th if anyone is interested. http://www.mhjc.org/2011all4funsite/index.html

Rocky Mountain Canary
01-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Buena Vista is a nice area could be great for site seeing and Wheeling
Leadville, Pikes Peak, Great Sand dunes, Arkansas river.

I would like to explore this area, take a break from Silverton for a year ar two.

LWM
01-21-2011, 05:23 PM
What do you all think of the last week of July?

Rocky Mountain Canary
01-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Good for us

LWM
01-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Okay, Can everyone chime in as to your preference between the last week of July or the first week of August. (The campground will have RVs to rent the last week of July if you need one, they are not available in August due to the other big event in the area).

LWM
01-23-2011, 09:00 AM
A poll has been added to this thread.

LWM
01-23-2011, 09:30 AM
I have found two campgrounds in Buena Vista that would make good base camps, please check these links and give me your thoughts:

Snowy Peaks RV Park (http://www.snowypeaksrvpark.com/index.htm) http://www.snowypeaksrvpark.com/index.htm

Buena Vista KOA (http://koa.com/campgrounds/buena-vista/)

LWM
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
After looking at the two web sites I think Snowy Peaks is the better of the two because it looks like it has shade trees and more amenities but that is just my opinion, and that assumes you all want to go to that area.

Snowy peaks has RVs to rent the last week of July but the KOA has those Kamp Kabins for those who do not have their own RV

brendon
01-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I voted for the week in July. We should make sure Mosquito Pass is in the plans. It is the highest 4x4 pass in North America.

brendon
01-24-2011, 08:25 PM
I voted for KOA due to the cabins, but there are also hotels in Buena Vista if need be; just wouldn't be with the rest of the group then.

BTW, the Snowy Peaks link does not work. I googled them no problem though.

LWM
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
BTW, the Snowy Peaks link does not work. I googled them no problem though.

Not sure what was up with the link but I added a new one, thanks!

Sal-XK
01-25-2011, 05:14 AM
I voted for the week in July. We should make sure Mosquito Pass is in the plans. It is the highest 4x4 pass in North America. Now that sounds interesting.

LWM
01-25-2011, 07:10 AM
We should make sure Mosquito Pass is in the plans. It is the highest 4x4 pass in North America.

I see no reason not to try it! :)

El Cid
01-25-2011, 09:01 AM
If folks are willing to drive a bit over an hour to get to trailheads, Buena Vista can be fabulous. There's the aforementioned Mosquito Pass (which is pretty easy but cool for the height factor), but there's also Red Cone. It'd be a long day to do that bad boy, but it's totally worth it.

El Cid
01-25-2011, 09:05 AM
I forgot to mention Grizzly Lake, which is another old favorite: a short but moderately challenging trail, with some great fishing at the end if there were kids interested in that.

LWM
01-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Are you saying the trailheads are not near Buena Vista? I was trying to find lodging accomidations and there seemed to be plenty there, I do not know the area at all so I am not the best to pick a basecamp location but I know WC people use RVs more than the EC group.

El Cid
01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
"Near" is quite a relative term. Things aren't quite as dense in that area as they are around Silverton/Ouray, but I think there's plenty to get to -- especially if folks don't mind an hour or so drive on a couple days to get to trailheads (a bit like driving to the base of Imogene Pass from Silverton).

I'm not sure what there is in terms of camping with hookups near Fairplay, but that would be closer to both Red Cone and Mosquito Pass, as well as Georgia Pass, Wheeler Lake, and a number of other trails.

Again, though, these things are all accessible with just a bit of driving. And barring an issue, I'm very much hoping to be trailering with y'all this year, which means I'm definitely hoping to have full hook-ups. :)

Really appreciate all you're doing to try and corral our unruly group, Knappster. It's thankless but welcome work.

LWM
01-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Well then if nobody has any issues I am fine with Buena Vista as it does have amenities for off trail time and I too like clean camping when it is an option.

LWM
01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
The combined votes over the two forums is 6 for July and 2 for August, I say we give it 24 hours and close the date window so we can start the reservation phase.

Any other thoughts?

strokeZ
01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Good idea. Don't want to leave it open too long

Rocky Mountain Canary
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I agree

LWM
01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Now we need to pick which camp site on the other thread!

El Cid
01-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Snowy Peaks is a touch closer to town, and certainly easier if a person was going to walk it. I don't think you could walk from the KOA to town since it's over the river. Don't know if that matters to folks or not.

Snowy Peaks might be a touch noisier, though, as the KOA is set back quite a bit north from the road to Fairplay, if I recall.

They're both great choices, though. I'm easy!

LWM
01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
The date is now set so please make your vacation plans, please go to the base camp thread and make your wishes known as we need to set the location within the next day or two as well.

WanderingTs
01-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Looking at the Snowy Peaks site rate area, it appears they have a very limited number of water and electric only sites. I am fairly certain this is what we had in Silverton last year? I see 6 sites listed at @ $30 per, then a few more if someone wanted "premium". I also saw that the rates are for one or two persons only and each additional child over age two is $4 a day.

According to KOA's site, a back-in 20 amp electric hookup at KAO is with $35 per night extra charge for kids starting at age 7. KOA had a much wider selection of options for those with other types of rigs (larger motorhomes, etc) and I can only assume the prices went up from there. The KOA is also very spread out which might make it harder for evening chatting.

Knappster, did you talk to Snowy Peaks? Being a smaller place maybe there would be more likely to either give us ammenities or give a discount? Photos of both places look nice, so if everything else is equal I think Snowy would get my vote based on price. Gas is supposed to be expensive this summer and anywhere we can cut costs is great news in my book.

LWM
01-27-2011, 07:51 AM
There is no clear winner in the selection process.

I thought Snowy Peaks looked nicer and has a lot of shade trees compared to the rustic look of the KOA

The price was similar depending on the hook-ups you want

The KOA can get us all closer to each other where as Snowy Peaks is half full already so we would be spread out throught the park

The KOA has Kabins for those who do not want to tent and do not have a trailer or other RV, Snowy Peaks rents RVs but I would guess thatthe cost woul dbe higher than the Kabins at KOA

Snowy Peaks in closer to town for those who want to go for a walk into town, but not a long drive from the KOA

El Cid
01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Both solid for me and my peeps. If all was equal, I'd favor the one that gets us closer together -- but then maybe y'all prefer being further away from me! :)

LWM
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
The scale is slightly tipped towards the KOA so let your thoughts be known as time is slipping away.

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

pjmjr508
01-28-2011, 07:13 PM
KOA is good for me.