PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a "full Size" spare tire?

El Cid
08-25-2010, 07:23 AM
This topic was moved here from the 4xGuard thread on new products to help keep THAT thread on topic!

The question was; what products would you like to see for the Commander?

The first answer as seen in post #2 was a swing away tire carrier which lead to the discussion of why do you need full size spare?

Please go to the original thread in the 4xGurad section to suggest future product ideas.

WanderingTs
08-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Rear swing away tire carrier, not blocking the hitch, or with DOT rated hitch.

El Cid
08-27-2010, 07:15 AM

Can I ask why you want one? There's no real need for a full-size spare tire on these systems, so is it to convert the spare space into a secondary fuel tank or storage area or something?

NeilSmith
08-27-2010, 07:56 AM
when you have oversized tires that wont fit in the tire well, it would be nice to have a spare the same size tire and same wheel . the computer systems wont like you driving with a stock size spare and 3 oversized tires.

07JeepXK
08-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Im assuming he wants one because his spare tire wont fit underneith the vehicle due to it being larger then the oem tire size.

Is there any chance 4xguard can make a skid plate for the front suspension similar to the Mopar skid? The Mopar skid's are really thin and mine hasn't held up to well over the past few off road trips.

El Cid
08-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Regarding the tire issue: We've talked at length with one of the lead Jeep engineers behind these 4wd systems about just this. He has told us that the tire-size difference issue is essentially a myth. It may have been true in the old days, but a full-size spare isn't necessary with these. Unlike a simple mechanical system, the computer can adjust on the fly to account for the diameter difference.

Would you want to drive 100 miles at high speed without a match? No. Definitely not (for many reasons). But for limping out to get a repair done? No problem. We don't carry a full-size match on any of our rigs.

As for the front Mopar skid: it is an interesting notion. We've generally tried to fill on market gaps before worrying about a product for which another option actually exists. But if that other product is deficient, that could be a different story. I've not looked at the Mopar skid in a long time, honestly. I have the Superlift one on now.

Good feedback, though, folks! Keep 'em coming!

NeilSmith
08-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Im sure driving out of the woods to get a tire fixed is ok. But the last time I had a flat , I put the spare on and drove home 180 miles. That was with stock size tires all around. If you rip a sidewall apart on the trail then there is no fixing the tire. there might not be a tire shop nearby or one that is open. You may have to travel back home on a spare that is not the same size as the others, and that can very easily be of some distance.

bruijr
08-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Im sure driving out of the woods to get a tire fixed is ok. But the last time I had a flat , I put the spare on and drove home 180 miles. That was with stock size tires all around. If you rip a sidewall apart on the trail then there is no fixing the tire. there might not be a tire shop nearby or one that is open. You may have to travel back home on a spare that is not the same size as the others, and that can very easily be of some distance.

I have to agree with Neil on this one. Like I mentioned in the "air down or not" thread I once had two flat tires in Big Bend state park. Luckily they were jsut punctured tires and I was able to plug a hole with a large screw to get of the trail. But in case of a ripped side wall, the next decent town close enough to carry a larger variaty of tires is Fort Stockton. That's far over a hunderd miles not taking into account an other possible two hours to get of the trail. I do see the need for something the carry a full size spare.

Sal-XK
08-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Having a full size spare is just smart planning. If your tire goes down on the trail you still have to navigate your way off the trail crawling over rocks and such. I could limp it off with my stock spare but it would be easier and safer I think to have a matching spare with me. Also the ability to carry a full size spare means I can leave my stock one in place and have two spares now for the trails. The stock one of course being the emergency spare to the spare.

NeilSmith
08-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Having a full size spare is just smart planning. If your tire goes down on the trail you still have to navigate your way off the trail crawling over rocks and such. I could limp it off with my stock spare but it would be easier and safer I think to have a matching spare with me. Also the ability to carry a full size spare means I can leave my stock one in place and have two spares now for the trails. The stock one of course being the emergency spare to the spare.

X2

El Cid
08-27-2010, 06:01 PM
But what if your spare for the spare goes bad?

Wait... I already know the answer. That's why you put another one on the roof rack!

And in case that one goes bad, you really ought to have another on the hood.

And if that goes bad, common sense dictates that you toss another one outboard on the passenger side (doubles as a rock bumper in tight spots, too).

And if that goes bad ...

;)

I'm giving you a hard time, but I understand that kind of thinking 100%. It's just not for me personally. I guess I'm an optimist who hasn't been burned yet. To me it's like carrying an extra driveshaft. Would I be glad I had it in some terrible worst-case scenario? Sure. Am I going to carry one? Don't think so. Must have room for beer.

Of course, am I going to be seriously grateful that someone else is carrying one when I "win the lottery" and splinter the driveshaft? You better believe it! :)

This thread is quickly getting hijacked on the issue, but I'll also point out that you can already carry a bigger tire than stock in the OEM hold. If I remember rightly, I'm pretty sure you can fit at least a 265/70R17 deflated, strapped, and raised carefully. That doesn't account for an "emergency spare to the spare," obviously, and you need to carry an air compressor (which is a good idea anyway), but it'll get the job done without the need to add a swing-away carrier with its weight and possible reduced clearance.

All of which doesn't mean that we may not ultimately make one for you. The customer, as they say, is always right. Right?

So y'all want a spare tire carrier. What else?

07JeepXK
08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
I bought the MT/R's with Kevlar hoping that I would never need a spare. So far so good.

WanderingTs
08-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes to all the above for reasons to want one. Also, on my old pickup with a spare underneath, I found a sharp rock with the sidewall on the spare once. I found that out the hard way when I got a flat on the way home and my spare was unprepared. Luckily, I was out to the paved road and AAA to the rescue!

Also hear hear to replacing the mopar plates with something stronger. I have hit the mopar plates - instant dent. I have hit my 4XGuard plates....just a scrape.

NeilSmith
08-28-2010, 06:37 AM
I actually bent two rims and busted the bead on two tires at the same time going thru an open ford too fast. Two spares would have nbeen nice. Im not worried about having two spares, I just thought a carrier would be cool.

Sal-XK
08-28-2010, 07:49 AM
can't ignore the cool factor

El Cid
08-28-2010, 07:54 AM
can't ignore the cool factor

Now that is talking my language! ;)

07JeepXK
08-28-2010, 08:02 AM
What kind of tires/wheels are you guys running where you are bending wheels and blowing beads? Also what psi were you running at the time?

NeilSmith
08-28-2010, 09:31 AM
What kind of tires/wheels are you guys running where you are bending wheels and blowing beads? Also what pis where you running at the time?

stock wheels and tires at 35psi. 2 wheels , 2 tires and refinish bumper cover = $1400 insurance estimate

LWM
08-28-2010, 09:42 AM
At Camp Commander I brought 2 spares as I had a long way to travel and did not want to not have a spare tire:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/07/Day19-4.jpg

LWM
08-28-2010, 09:55 AM

This is what I have and mine was made by Stone Soup Metal Works, the only thing missing is the DOT approved stamp but I can tell you mine is every bit as good as the OEM hitch that is was based off.

HueyPilotVN
08-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I do have several comments about this subject. First, I think that except for our friend from down under, I am the only one with a second gas tank with a full skid plate. I had to relocate the spare for the extra 30 gallons of gas. I also run 265/70/17 tires so the old spare was a couple of inches smaller. I like the spare mounted on the back for several reasons. It does look cool, it gives me lots of comfort to know that I have 55 gallons of gas for long long trail rides, I have a portable gas station for my bud's on the trail, and I can easily check to be sure that my spare is not flat when I need it.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/284-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/274-1.jpg

In addition to carrying an air compressor, I would suggest that you get a plug kit. It has a tool that looks like a pointed scredriver with a hole in the end and you use it to insert a rubber and cord plug into the hole where you had a puncture along with sealant. It works and will get you off the trail without having to break the bead on a tire.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/08/01211-2.jpg

LWM
08-28-2010, 11:15 AM
In addition to carrying an air compressor, I would suggest that you get a plug kit. It has a tool that looks like a pointed scredriver with a hole in the end and you use it to insert a rubber and cord plug into the hole where you had a puncture along with sealant. It works and will get you off the trail without having to break the bead on a tire.

On one of the local Arizona runs I got a big hole in teh sidewall, another member of the group had one of these patch lits and thanks to his fast work I was able to save enough air to turn around and get to Discount Tire in town.

I used my kit on Consolidations leaking tire at Ophir pas and that allowed him to continue the trail ride and then get his tire fixed the next day. We were lucky enough to have stopped for a photo when I heard the air leaving his tire.

cico7
08-29-2010, 06:26 AM
What kind of tires/wheels are you guys running where you are bending wheels and blowing beads? Also what pis where you running at the time?
Personal question isn't it?

07JeepXK
08-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Sorry. That was supposed to read "what PSI were you running"

GPintheMitten
09-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I carry a full-size spare. 255/75/17. I mount it on the roof basket. I also do a 5 tire rotation.

With the spare up there, I have to choose my drive thru car wash carefully. It fits in some and not others.

07JeepXK
09-01-2010, 06:47 PM
My spare tire sits in my garage. Im sure it will end up in the back of the Jeep when I head to Rausch Creek though. Just incase!

pjmjr508
01-26-2011, 04:03 PM
I have also been running 265/70- 17's & tried even with out the air in the tire it will not fit in the spare tire area because it is rubbing against a bar on one end & the other end it was rubbing against the hitch, so I am forced to run the spare on top of the jeep in the roofrack

Little Evil
01-27-2011, 07:42 PM
I run a full sized spare. Yes, my carrier does use the factory hitch, but that will change soon.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/100_0019-1.jpg

superacerc
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM
I keep a full size spare up top and a get away vehicle on the back.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/IMG00270201101181654-1.jpg

jaimeson
02-27-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't carry a spare, I have a tire repair kit and a pos compressor that will fill on a tire in 3 hours. the product I would like to see more that anything is a long A arm kit for the front, give it about 2 more inchs on each side and some flairs to cover it up. Need to increase that travel, I plan to run Fox internal bypass.