PDA

View Full Version : National Camp Commander

Sal-XK
08-30-2010, 10:38 AM
We now have west coast, east coast and Midwest camp commander events going on. So when we going to talk about a National Camp Commander event. Seems to me we can every 5 years or what ever have a national Camp Commander maybe. I think it would be pretty cool if we had one were the whole group got together. If there was no OHV parks suitable smack in the middle of the country maybe we can do the Rubicon or something. Think of it 50 XK's crawling up the Rubicon oh what joy. :)

cico7
08-30-2010, 10:47 AM
West Coast Camp started out as a National Event. Then the westies claimed it and all blazes broke out.

07JeepXK
08-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Im in. Just make sure it happens after I get back from Iraq!

LWM
08-30-2010, 10:57 AM
West Coast Camp started out as a National Event. Then the westies claimed it and all blazes broke out.

Well not quite the way it happened... we added "WC" after EC started their event and it only made sense due too distance.

I would me more that interested in a National Event but the last time it was talked about Kansas was suggested and that lead to the two events, Is there really anyplace in the middle that everyone would come too?

I do know it would take a lot of planning and commitment but I am willing to step up in any way needed if there is the interest.

LWM
08-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Im in. Just make sure it happens after I get back from Iraq!

When are you scheduled to return?

07JeepXK
08-30-2010, 11:04 AM
March 2012????

Unless you guys can plan something prior to this March before I leave.

LWM
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
March 2012????

Unless you guys can plan something prior to this March before I leave.

Actually that can work out for you. It looks like the 2011 events are already in the planning stage so we could look for interest in a 2012 National event.

07JeepXK
08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Awsome! I'll definately be looking forward to a National Event.

LWM
08-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Is there anything in Arkasas or Missouri? I do not know of any Off-road parks since I am in AZ but maybe someone further east has some experience without getting too far east and therefore eliminating the west cost members.

Here is a place in Arkansas that might be good: http://www.orvpark.com/

Here is another in Arkansas: http://www.byrdsadventurecenter.com/

cico7
08-30-2010, 01:45 PM
I think Indianapolis is "The Crossroads of America"

LWM
08-30-2010, 01:50 PM
I think Indianapolis is "The Crossroads of America"

Here is a park in Indianapolis:

http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/

and another... http://www.haspinacres.com/

Sal-XK
08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
The badlands is where Midwest Commander took place It looks ok but not big enough or hard enough to entertain us all I think. There are parks in the middle I've read about them and seen some on tv now we just have to find them. Ideally because of the distance being traveled by some, amenities should be on the list as well as enough room for campers and RV's. If the middle will bring more out I'm down but I'm willing to consider any location if it's worth the drive. I also agree that 2012 would be the earliest to pull this off not sure but might have to be 2013. Maybe we can find a place most of us have never been to we would need at least one member thats been there its easier that way.

cico7
08-30-2010, 05:54 PM
I really don't like EC/WC/MW group names. But I am down with National event that is easily
accessible to everyone and will accomodate everyone's needs.

Look at locations of past Jamborees or Camp's Jeep.

Tymac
08-30-2010, 06:51 PM
So in 2012, if we ditched the WC and called the event in Colorado a National Event that would be ok?
To be honest I don't think a private venue would satisfy, because you'd need more than a couple of thousand acres to entertain even a single Commander for the week let alone 40-50 Commanders.

Plus members need to realize you don't need every after market part thats is available. Just stock metal skid plates. If you plan to run stock suspension, then I would highly recommend some belly protection like the one offered by 4xguard. Other than that stock tires and lift is fine. Just ask consolidation. I watched him wheel out there the last 2 years with a full crew in his ride to boot and he hasn't had a problem yet.

cico7
08-31-2010, 04:46 AM
Move Colorado East toward Illinois, and I'm in....

Sal-XK
08-31-2010, 05:00 AM
I would love to go to Colorado it would be awesome but as Don pointed out probably to far for most people. Were probably going to have to do some research here and post up some centrally located place and have a bunch polls put out to cover the where and the when. I hope that the West and East coast guys don't all vote on separate places because thats what we got now. There is a 4 state box that centers the country, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoman and Arkansas seem to be about the center of the country. So to keep the group from splitting up and not agreeing maybe we should limit are choices to these states. I have no idea if there is anything worth while in those states we need to check it out. Then there is the time line we need to give enough notice that people can reasonably make plans.

LWM
08-31-2010, 09:42 AM
I would agree that real trails and roads in the real world would be better than a park setting. I do not know ANYTHING about that part of the country so it would take some scouting from someone in the area. Colorado is amazing and the folks from the east would love it but I am sure they can say the same thing about their part of the country.

UberCommander
08-31-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.ksrockspark.com/

Sal-XK
08-31-2010, 04:41 PM
That site was pretty cool and seemed to have tons of trails. This is one we will have to check out I think.

jcoulter
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
The badlands is where Midwest Commander took place It looks ok but not big enough or hard enough to entertain us all I think. There are parks in the middle I've read about them and seen some on tv now we just have to find them. Ideally because of the distance being traveled by some, amenities should be on the list as well as enough room for campers and RV's. If the middle will bring more out I'm down but I'm willing to consider any location if it's worth the drive. I also agree that 2012 would be the earliest to pull this off not sure but might have to be 2013. Maybe we can find a place most of us have never been to we would need at least one member thats been there its easier that way.

Actually the badlands has plenty of tough stuff. But at only 800 acres it is probably to small. I've only been there on Saturday but with all the other rigs and atv's out there it gets a little tight. Add in 20 or more rigs all in one group = not fun.

I don't know of anything in Nebraska or Kansas. I'm guessing Colorado, Wyoming, Arkansas or Missouri to be the best bets.

El Comandante
09-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Since we're planning so far ahead why not go big? Can this be a XK-Forum sponsored event featuring guest representatives from sponsored businesses like 4xGuard, etc.? Can we pick a place that will allow us to reserve a private space just for us and maybe go even bigger and rent a stage and put some entertainment on there like a band or DJ? Can we maybe talk to Jeep and have them come out and showcase some promotional material? Seems like we would have enough time to plan something of this scale. I could vouch for finding the entertainment since I'm in the industry as my hobby.

07JeepXK
09-01-2010, 08:15 AM
I think that would be awsome! Wherever it might be im definately game. But it needs to be somewhere with some nice trails.

Sal-XK
09-01-2010, 08:45 AM
I think the first thing we to do is find a place that the majority of us can agree to. Then once we no where we are going we can work on when. Then we can start lining up more stuff for the event. We would also need a point of contact for us some one to take charge and spear head the operation I cast my vote for anybody but myself LOL. Maybe the three organizers for our chapter events can pool there resources.

cico7
09-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I think the first thing we to do is find a place that the majority of us can agree to. Then once we no where we are going we can work on when. Then we can start lining up more stuff for the event. We would also need a point of contact for us some one to take charge and spear head the operation I cast my vote for anybody but myself LOL. Maybe the three organizers for our chapter events can pool there resources.

Not me, I don't play well with others...

cico7
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
About Black Mountain Recreational Park Ky
Black Mountain is managed by the Harlan County Outdoor Recreation Board Authority and has over 6,000 acres of mountainous terrain (elevations up to 3,300 feet) with over 200 miles of marked and rated trails. They have beginner, intermediate and extreme rated trails available for the riding enthusiast. Trail maps are available and there is primitive camping. Best of all, there are no fees or permits required to ride. The riding area is open all day year-round.

Black Mountain Rec Park (http://www.atvrideronline.com/ridingspots/100_0608_black_mountain_recreational_park/) Link

About Red Creek Off Road Tennessee
Red Creek is a privately-owned tract of approximately 500+ acres in southern central Tennessee. They have a map on-line for your use at their web site. Camping is available, both primitive and full hook-ups. They are open from 2-6:00 pm on Fridays, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Saturdays, and and 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Sundays. Primitive camping fees are $5.00 per person per night (children 12 and under camp for free). RV full hook-up sites are $25.00 per night for 2 adults and $3.00 for each additional person over the age of 12. Cabins are also available to rent. It is stringly suggested to make reservations prior to arrival for RV hook-ups and cabins. Reportedly the best looking femal 4x4 enthusiasts ride at t his park!

Directions to Park (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=%5b362%2d499%5d%20Vestry%20Rd&city=Perkinston&state=MS&zipcode=39573&country=US&geodiff=1) Link

Missouri
http://www.bricks4x4farm.com/
http://www.mostateparks.com/fingerlakes/trails.htm
http://www.stjoestpark.com/
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.offrdranch.com/

Mississippi
SMORR (http://www.smorr.net/)

El Comandante
09-01-2010, 09:08 AM
About Black Mountain Recreational Park
Black Mountain is managed by the Harlan County Outdoor Recreation Board Authority and has over 6,000 acres of mountainous terrain (elevations up to 3,300 feet) with over 200 miles of marked and rated trails. They have beginner, intermediate and extreme rated trails available for the riding enthusiast. Trail maps are available and there is primitive camping. Best of all, there are no fees or permits required to ride. The riding area is open all day year-round.

Black Mountain Rec Park (http://www.atvrideronline.com/ridingspots/100_0608_black_mountain_recreational_park/) Link

That seems cool but at reading the description in the site it sounds more of an ATV park.

And I agree about finding a place first, seeing if everyone else agrees and if we have enough attendees then we can plan this at a grand scale, I can volunteer to help on a couple of items.

LWM
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Actually the badlands has plenty of tough stuff. But at only 800 acres it is probably to small. I've only been there on Saturday but with all the other rigs and atv's out there it gets a little tight. Add in 20 or more rigs all in one group = not fun.

I don't know of anything in Nebraska or Kansas. I'm guessing Colorado, Wyoming, Arkansas or Missouri to be the best bets.

My fear with a "park" is just that, I think there would be so many rigs that we would not have as much FUN as if we had our own space.

For those who have not been to Colorado, I can tell you that is the place to go. I know it is a long drive but if it was a National Event and all the extras of a big event it really would be worth the drive and because some of us run it every year we know most of the trails and can make a much more spectacular event. JMHO!

LWM
09-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Since we're planning so far ahead why not go big? Can this be a XK-Forum sponsored event featuring guest representatives from sponsored businesses like 4xGuard, etc.? Can we pick a place that will allow us to reserve a private space just for us and maybe go even bigger and rent a stage and put some entertainment on there like a band or DJ? Can we maybe talk to Jeep and have them come out and showcase some promotional material? Seems like we would have enough time to plan something of this scale. I could vouch for finding the entertainment since I'm in the industry as my hobby.

Yes, XK-Forum can sponsor the event and would be glad to regardless of location. I really think that is we look at Colorado we have more space and better trails. I also think it woul dbe easier to get corporate sponsors for an event like that over a park setting but do not know that as a fact.

El Comandante
09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes, XK-Forum can sponsor the event and would be glad to regardless of location. I really think that is we look at Colorado we have more space and better trails. I also think it woul dbe easier to get corporate sponsors for an event like that over a park setting but do not know that as a fact.

Hmm, I wonder how far of a drive would it be from Chicago to Colorado.

Actually I just looked and it's about an 18 hour drive from Chicago to dead smack middle of Colorado. What city is this park in?

LWM
09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Hmm, I wonder how far of a drive would it be from Chicago to Colorado.

Actually I just looked and it's about an 18 hour drive from Chicago to dead smack middle of Colorado. What city is this park in?

The place we go is in Silverton. They have over 200 spots so we would all fit, there are hundreds of trails, likes rivers. It is close to MANY tourist spots, white water rafting, narrow gauge train, museums, historic towns, Telluride gondola ride...

The Camp manager told me he would set up a big tent for group events.

El Comandante
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
The place we go is in Silverton. They have over 200 spots so we would all fit, there are hundreds of trails, likes rivers. It is close to MANY tourist spots, white water rafting, narrow gauge train, museums, historic towns, Telluride gondola ride...

The Camp manager told me he would set up a big tent for group events.

Holy crap! Of course it had to be on the opposite side of Colorado, that makes it a 22 hour drive from Chicago! lol. Hmmm, might have to make a stop along the way for sleep. I was hoping for more like 16 hours then we can make it in a day and was already thinking of going sometime in October of this year to check it out.

Sal-XK
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I think if we visit one of the existing events it loses its allure of a National event IMO. It's like were attending the west coast event which will be cool and I hope to attend one soon. But the drive from the east coast is pretty rough and would take me almost two days to get there taking breaks for the family. That means I need four days of vacation time just in travel time to and from the event. So IMO we need to try and make this a central event for all to enjoy equally. We have memebers all the way in Florida thats one heck of a drive for them as well.

Simplewon
09-01-2010, 03:55 PM
http://rocklogicoffroad.com/Wishbone.htm

Bowling Green, Ky
Home of the Corvette

redrockv8
09-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Once you've wheeled in Colorado you will forever be spoiled and never want to go anywhere else. Well, Utah is just about as cool... For some because of distance it may be a once in a lifetime trip, but well worth the experiences you will have there...
HT

redrockv8
09-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Bowling Green, Ky
Home of the Corvette

I always thought St.Louis, MO was home of the Corvette...Back in the 60's they had the only assembly plant in the USA..(or so I thought)
HT

Sal-XK
09-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I agree I've been out to Colorado a few times and it's beauty is unmatched. Just don't think it's feasible for this event being so far away.

NeilSmith
09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm with Sal, I think it needs to be in the middle somewhere to be a fair drive for everyone. To give 'yall some reference, if driving non-stop ( except for gas ) at 75 - 80 mph, it takes 12 hours at least for me just to get to the Mississippi River, be it St. Louis or Memphis. How long is the drive from say Arizona and California to Silverton Co. ? I'm thinking Kansas / Missouri border somewhere. It would be nice if we could all just have a days drive to the site. This would make it so much more affordable as far as gas and possible lodging along the way. I drive non-stop to Tampa all the time which takes around 12 1/2 hours. I dont mind that drive but when you start talking 18 to 20 hours of driving my ass starts to hurt.

LWM
09-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Colorado is 10 hours from my house, Kansas City, Kansas is 22 hours.

UberCommander
09-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Colorado is 21 hours from my house, Kansas City, Kansas is 14 hours. :P

NeilSmith
09-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Google maps says Kansa City Ks is 16 hrs from me, so come closer back to the west. it then says from Kansa City Ks to Silverton is another 15 hrs.

LWM
09-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I will drive 20 hours if needed, my thing is more of what is worth a 20 hours drive? Kansas or Colorado?

A National event in Colorado is worthless if nobody from the east will come, but I do not think the western folks would drive 25 to 30 hours from Washington and California to drive around in an 800 acre park.

NeilSmith
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
What if we all flew somewhere and raided the dealerships near by and took some XK s out for test drives ?:D

LWM
09-01-2010, 05:32 PM
What if we all flew somewhere and raided the dealerships near by and took some XK s out for test drives ?:D

Not too many XK's will be on the lots by summer 2012 :)

robby
09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't wheel but could be enticed.

Anyways, consider N/E Missouri.....you know, St. Louis, Gateway to the West......home of Bigfoot and all that......The state is supposed to have a strong ORV presence.

Just a thought,
Rob

Sal-XK
09-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm willing to go just about anywhere for the event I would even be willing to go to Cali but if again if nobody shows up from the east then its just a west coast event. I think we need a compromise on the situation. We will never make everyone happy thats impossible. I'm willing to have less trails or less scenery to look at if we can get the turn out. I think it should be more about getting together and meeting everyone in one place and having some trails to bang around on. I think the important part is the people because we all have our events we attend on hear and with other groups. This is obviously going to take some time and serious play nice time to hash out but in the end I think its worth it.

cico7
09-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Now everyone is arguing about the location. LOL Don't tell me your not arguing, because you are saying the same thing.

Start looking for places to go. The location will find itself. Throw the ideas into basket, shoot nothing down.

jcoulter
09-01-2010, 06:58 PM
It will be VERY hard to find somewhere that everyone can be happy with. Unfortunatley OK, KS and NE are not known for off roading. If they were this would be pretty easy. I'm thinking that if the east coast guys have a 12 hour drive BEFORE hitting Iowa and Nebraska, not many will come. Granted the trails in CO and UT are better suited for a group of us but I don't see many EC guys making it.

Unless there's a great place in the Great Plains someon's going to have a long drive.

Here's one near Kansas City http://www.ksrockspark.com (http://www.ksrockspark.com/)

Park list. Includes some ATV parks.

http://www.ih8pavement.com/off-road-park-list/

IamJEEP
09-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I would love to go to one of these events, aspecially a national event. Here's my issue.......I live in Florida, not north Fl, not the panhandle, not Orlando, but South Florida! That means I have a 10hr drive just to get out of this long ass state. LOL, not really ten but damn near close. I have driven to Colorado before and it's not fun driving that far, at least for me. Somewhere a little more centralized and I might be able to make it.

Anywhere will be far for me, so you guys find the spot and I'll try and make it. But, don't plan around me 'cause I'm just one person. =D

El Comandante
09-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Hmm, this is getting a little hairy finding a place we can all agree on. I think once we find a spot we can plan an awesome event. I'm fine with driving at most about 16 hours.

LWM
09-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm fine with driving at most about 16 hours.

How far will 16 hours get you? I am okay with 20 if I have to but that adds another 10 for the folks from Washington and California. We need to love in a smaller country.

LWM
09-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Now everyone is arguing about the location. LOL Don't tell me your not arguing, because you are saying the same thing.

Start looking for places to go. The location will find itself. Throw the ideas into basket, shoot nothing down.

I would not say everyone is arguing, I think we all agree that a central location is best, the problem is we need to find a good central location. I am sure we will come up with one, I just hope people will com eif we plan it.

07JeepXK
09-02-2010, 04:27 AM
Lets just make it easy and go to MOAB! lol That would be a once in a lifetime trip for some of us guys from the east.

cico7
09-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Quit discussing who will and who wont and it's too long. FIND PLACES TO GO the answer will present itself.
Once we have places to consider, then weed them out.
Silverton-Colorado is a place
Flagpole Knob Dayton Va
Jeepskool - Northen Ohio
Badlands-Indiana Mid/East Indiana
Ok - now add to the list. Nothing other than Canada is a bad idea. (kidding)
Alaska-

07JeepXK
09-02-2010, 05:53 AM
We should just make a big list of places to go and then have a poll who would be willing to go to each place. Then which ever place has the most votes in the place we will go. Then we just need to come up with a date. It would be far enough out to where people would be able to make arrangement to attend.

jcoulter
09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Here's one near Kansas City http://www.ksrockspark.com

Simplewon
09-02-2010, 09:35 AM
I always thought St.Louis, MO was home of the Corvette...Back in the 60's they had the only assembly plant in the USA..(or so I thought)
HT

It used to be, until they moved to Bowling Green. In 1980 to 81 Corvette Assembly Plant moved from St. Louis to Bowling Green

LWM
09-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Quit discussing who will and who wont and it's too long. FIND PLACES TO GO the answer will present itself.
Silverton-Colorado is a place
Flagpole Knob Dayton Va
Jeepskool - Northen Ohio
Alaska-

We should just make a big list of places to go and then have a poll who would be willing to go to each place. Then which ever place has the most votes in the place we will go. Then we just need to come up with a date. It would be far enough out to where people would be able to make arrangement to attend.

Sounds like a great plan! Thanks for keeping us focused guys.

LWM
09-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Here is the list too date, Let's keep adding to it and then we will ask from the list where would people like to go:

Here is a place in Arkansas that might be good: http://www.orvpark.com/

Here is another in Arkansas: http://www.byrdsadventurecenter.com/

Here is a park in Indianapolis:

http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/

and another... http://www.haspinacres.com/

http://www.ksrockspark.com/

About Black Mountain Recreational Park Ky

About Red Creek Off Road Tennessee
Red Creek is a privately-owned tract of approximately 500+ acres in southern central Tennessee. They have a map on-line for your use at their web site. Camping is available, both primitive and full hook-ups. They are open from 2-6:00 pm on Fridays, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Saturdays, and and 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Sundays. Primitive camping fees are $5.00 per person per night (children 12 and under camp for free). RV full hook-up sites are $25.00 per night for 2 adults and $3.00 for each additional person over the age of 12. Cabins are also available to rent. It is stringly suggested to make reservations prior to arrival for RV hook-ups and cabins. Reportedly the best looking femal 4x4 enthusiasts ride at t his park!

Directions to Park (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=%5b362%2d499%5d%20Vestry%20Rd&city=Perkinston&state=MS&zipcode=39573&country=US&geodiff=1) Link

Missouri
http://www.bricks4x4farm.com/
http://www.mostateparks.com/fingerlakes/trails.htm
http://www.stjoestpark.com/
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.offrdranch.com/

Mississippi
SMORR (http://www.smorr.net/)

Bowling Green, Ky
Home of the Corvette

Here's one near Kansas City http://www.ksrockspark.com (http://www.ksrockspark.com/)

FIND PLACES TO GO the answer will present itself.

Silverton-Colorado
Flagpole Knob Dayton Va
Jeepskool - Northen Ohio
Alaska-

cico7
09-02-2010, 01:15 PM
After the list is completed.....or large enough, we need to check each idea to see if it could handle the traffic. But worry about that later. Focus on the list.

WanderingTs
09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
I am in California (I might be the only one), and it was a 19 hour drive to Silverton from here. That included no stops for food other than drive through. Only other stops were gas, bathroom, etc. Kansas, obviously,would be much further. On the other side of that, Northern Colorado (Denverish) is about the same. While it is futher away, less north/south driving equals about the same drive time.

I have to agree with the thoughts of other who say that a private park is not going to be enough. I have an OHV park less than an hour from me that I have never been to because I can see the whole area from the perimeter road I can drive in my Hyundai. For the kind of travel time to get to a national event, I am going to want to spent several days there. I just can't imagine spending several days criss-crossing the same terrain.

As a related thought, how do I decide between WC Camp and National Camp that year? Funds and vacation time will not allow both.

Sal-XK
09-02-2010, 09:01 PM
well I'm suggesting the Rubicon Trail. I know it's way from the center of the country. but maybe if the event is so awesome people will just show up so that my suggestion.

LWM
09-02-2010, 10:00 PM
As a related thought, how do I decide between WC Camp and National Camp that year? Funds and vacation time will not allow both.

My guess is that there would not be a WC Camp if a National event was to take place, maybe a WC mini event or something similar but that is only one persons thoughts.

WanderingTs
09-02-2010, 11:43 PM
The Rubicon's west end starts a little over an hour from my house Sal. I'm, game with that :)

My old ride was not up to something as rugged as the Rubicon. Now that I have a Jeep I have been trying to find local people who know the trail to run with, but so far no luck. For what I have read, it is heavily patroled and very regulation heavy. Too many bypasses being made, etc.

If enough people were interested I am sure I could do some scounting/planning/whatever for such a run....but that is a looooooong haul for anyone from the EC. You would be only two hours from the Pacific Ocean.

cico7
09-03-2010, 08:18 AM
FOCUS FOCUS The list of locations.......

Sal-XK
09-03-2010, 08:40 AM
RUBICON BABY Go big or go home

cico7
09-03-2010, 01:28 PM
RUBICON BABY Go big or go home
We had that in a coffee cup!

Sal-XK
09-03-2010, 02:54 PM
We had that in a coffee cup!
That coffee diffidently put some hair on your butt

NeilSmith
09-03-2010, 05:29 PM
That coffee diffidently put some hair on your butt

That " coffee " could do the Rubicon all by itself.

cico7
09-03-2010, 08:16 PM
That " coffee " could do the Rubicon all by itself.
And it was GOOD!

Tymac
09-04-2010, 07:52 PM
The better idea might be to make a list of ORV Parks in each state. Plan a route that takes a day or 2 each each park and hits as many as possible in a week, because if you look east of I-25 you won't find much that is entertaining enough for a week long event. Another thing to consider is many private parks are not even open through mid week, just weekends.

WanderingTs
09-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Tymac that is a very interesting idea to hit multiple locations. Only downside I see to that is breakdown and setup time for camp at each locations could potentially eat a lot time.

With the darling wife and bouncing 2yr old (I guess he will be 3 by then) it takes at least 2 hours on each end of a move to break down, hook-up, and unhook, set-up.

cico7
09-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Petersons Off Road does something like this don't they? I think it would be a blast to take a
trail, travel offroad, camp pick up again the next day.

The better idea might be to make a list of ORV Parks in each state. Plan a route that takes a day or 2 each each park and hits as many as possible in a week, because if you look east of I-25 you won't find much that is entertaining enough for a week long event. Another thing to consider is many private parks are not even open through mid week, just weekends.

El Cid
09-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Elsewhere I suggested maybe the Georgetown area of Colorado. At any rate, though, folks might be interested in the trail listings at Traildamage.com. They don't have everything, but they have good write-ups of what's there:

http://www.traildamage.com/

Tymac
09-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Tymac that is a very interesting idea to hit multiple locations. Only downside I see to that is breakdown and setup time for camp at each locations could potentially eat a lot time.

With the darling wife and bouncing 2yr old (I guess he will be 3 by then) it takes at least 2 hours on each end of a move to break down, hook-up, and unhook, set-up.

I agree and you have added another valid point to the discussion. It's going to be tough finding a balance that is even remotely pleasing to the masses. I'm sure the FJ Cruiser guys have the same issues, yet they draw large groups on their yearly meeting.

brendon
09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Looking over Missouri, which seems fairly central, I found one not listed earlier - Sayers Brook Ranch. http://www.sayersbrook.com/index.html

Apparently a bison ranch covering about 6 square miles. Here's a cut and paste from their website regarding offroading there.

"For some real excitement, climb aboard one of SayersBrook's Hummers for an exhilerating off road adventure. SayersBrook Bison Ranch has been home to National Jeep Jamboree, Hummer rallies, Jeep Club events, and Missouri Rock Climbing Club events. With its abundance of pristine lakes, clear mountain streams, and mysterious cave, it's no wonder! SayersBrook is truly an off-roader's paradise! Over 50 miles of rugged off road trail – 21 trails in all – wind through the enormous ranch, offering a wide variety of terrain, trails and obstacles that will challenge and entertain, no matter the skill level.

A Novice Off Roader

Riding is just as much fun as driving. Hop in one of our Hummers and we will take you on a ride unlike any other.

A Professional Off Roader

Bring your club or group and after parking your vehicle, tour the ranch, eat a delicious meal at the Pavilion on the Lake, or participate in any of our other exciting activities.

Officially Rated

The National Jeep Jamboree has rated the SayersBrook Trails for difficulty from level 3 to level 9."

brendon
09-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I just emailed Sayers Brook for more info. They are also nearby the Mark Twain National Forest units. I am looking for more info on BLM and Forestry roads in the forest.

It also appears Bricks Offroad Park is in that general area as well. http://bricksoffroadpark.com/

LWM
09-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I agree and you have added another valid point to the discussion. It's going to be tough finding a balance that is even remotely pleasing to the masses. I'm sure the FJ Cruiser guys have the same issues, yet they draw large groups on their yearly meeting.

ANd FJ Summit is ALWAYS held at the same location in Colorado.

WanderingTs
09-06-2010, 10:44 PM
If you are going to look at sheer numbers of bodies attracted, you aren't really comparing apples to apples. How many FJ's are there out there compared to how many Commanders? And of those vehicles out there, what percentage of each is off-roaded?

Does anyone belong to the FJ forum to see if they truely attract a national crowd to Colorado or if they just a larger number of mid-west and westerners? Maybe Knappster could do some forum guru to forum guru stats comparisons with his counterpart there?

07JeepXK
09-07-2010, 03:58 AM
I belong to the FJ forum. I'll do a little research today and find out.

jcoulter
09-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Found another one. Only 300 acres though.
http://www.cityofbridgeport.net/index.aspx?nid=322

http://www.cityofbridgeport.net/DocumentView.aspx?DID=523

jcoulter
09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
How many vehicles would we actually end up with? Someone threw 50 out there but I kinda doubt we would get that many. I'm thinking no more that 20-25. How many "regulars" are on the two forums?

brendon
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
How many "regulars" are on the two forums?

There's another forum? :confused:

(just kidding - no need to bring up that *other* one)

LWM
09-07-2010, 09:54 PM
How many vehicles would we actually end up with? Someone threw 50 out there but I kinda doubt we would get that many. I'm thinking no more that 20-25.

We have a dozen for WC camp Commander, some of those would not travel much further east but some of them travel from the east. I would think 20 would be a great number but I would think it lucky if we had 15 (wish for more but I think that is reality).

07JeepXK
09-08-2010, 04:51 AM
I bet only about 15-20 would actually show up.

lekmedm
09-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Silverton, CO would be AWESOME!!!

The 34 hours and >2,000 miles to get there from NJ... not so much. :(

However, it is a dream of mine... aaaahh, someday... :cool:

jcoulter
10-07-2010, 06:41 PM
http://ksrockspark.com/ 18 hours from Flagstaff and Salt Lake City, 20 from the East coast.