PDA

View Full Version : fog light moisture

redrockv8
09-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Now that I'm out of warranty I have moisture in my fog lights. I see several others have had this problem and had them replaced....Is there a fix for this without replacing the entire unit?
HT

Doc in AZ
09-19-2010, 10:40 PM
generally speaking most lights will have a removeable lens, removeable bulb housing or sometimes both.

if it has a removeable lens they sometimes have an o-ring. if not then they just have a ridge they seal against. you can use a light coat of grease around the ridge to seal it, or a VERY light coat of silicone adhesive. the silicone seals the best but is a PITA when you have to change a bulb.

if it has the removeable bulb they usually have a rubber boot or o-ring - make sure it's in good condition and replace as necessary.

if it has both then use a lot of silicone and seal the lens tight.

Blindman31B
11-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Some light bulbs dont exactly mate up with the foglights... that was my problem.

LibertyorDeath
11-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Does the condensation go away after a few minutes of fog light operation? Keep in mind in winter you are gonna see a LOT more condensation, especially if this winter is as cold as experts predict.

AKFossil
11-19-2010, 06:40 AM
I had to pull the light housings out and pull the bulbs as mine had quite a bit of water in them.

So if you can take them out on a sunny dry day or place them in a warm dry spot with bulbs removed. Let them dry completely and then insert the bulb before you re-install them on the XK this will allow you to examine the fit of the bulb.

Once I did this I didn't have another issue.