PDA

View Full Version : The XK-Forum

GPintheMitten
06-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm happy to see a new forum for Jeep Commanders. I like that it is owned by Jeep Commander Owners and not a big corporation of forum owners. I'm looking forward to its growth. Congratulations to the founders....GP

LWM
06-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Thank you for your support, Word of mouth and many more Commander owners will make this the "Ultimate" Jeep Commander Forum. The open channels of communication should help make this and enjoyable site for all parties, Welcome and happy posting.

07JeepXK
06-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Welcome everyone! This will be the Ultimate Commander Forum.

Tymac
06-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I was glad to hear about this a couple of nights ago. This even seems to be a little more friendly with my webos on my Palm PrePlus. I just hope everyone uses the same username so It doesn't take me another year to figure it out!

Adondo
06-14-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm here... under my usual username. :)

Yes, it will be nice to have an XK forum just for XK owners. (As in not buried and/or lumped in with Cherokee's on jeep.com) They annoy me on a couple of counts:

A) Commanders are barely acknowledged as Jeeps, and

B) what acknowledgment they do get is only as a sub-cousin to a barely acknowledged Jeep Cherokee.

For crying out loud, XK's have been around since 2006, and it's half way thru 2010!! How long does the Commander line need to exist before they're recognized as Jeeps on Jeep sites?!?

jcoulter
06-14-2010, 06:38 PM
I still get people that come up and ask what it is. C'mon it's been out almost 5 years!

LWM
06-14-2010, 06:40 PM
How about the members who come on and call the Commander a JC?

jcoulter
06-14-2010, 06:44 PM
That confused the heck out of me at first.

07JeepXK
06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
But JC means Jeep Commander. I'd personally rather have someone call it that then a hummer!

CUPRA
06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm still amazed at people looking at the Jeep Commander and actually trying to figure out what it is! I've had several looks like that. And if you consider it, it doesn't 'say' Commander on the tailgate like most vehicles, the only place you see it is down the sides.

I think all the Chrome Trim makes them look a little more expensive (not that $48k or so new is cheap) so I am sure people wonder if it's the new Mercedes G Wagon or something. (I guess having my 'Vodafone McLaren Mercedes' decals on there aren't helping any - that's the Formula One team I follow).

One thing I do like is that they never 'redesigned' the XK, so it won't look like an 'old' model, simply because it is the 'only' model of XK, unlike the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which you can look at and tell how old they are.

My XK is a 2006, yet it's in such good condition, someone came to lunch with me the other day and asked if it was a 2010 model! :)

Adondo
06-15-2010, 01:04 PM
But JC means Jeep Commander. I'd personally rather have someone call it that then a hummer!

JC is also the initials of ''Jeep Cherokee.'' So, now it's clear as mud. :)

wmjacobsjr
06-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks to 2 of my friends for telling me about this site. I didn't want to change usernames so people would know it was me. I still get people who think I am crazy for taking my XK off-roading.

cico7
06-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Uh, mike, Did I tell you about this new forum? XK-forum.com you should check it out....

WanderingTs
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
I have had very similar experience to others here. Mostly for me I have people ask me what model of Cherokee it is. They figure since the styling is similar it must be a super-sized Cherokee of some sorts. On this point, I feel a little guilty myself since when I tell people I have a Commander, and they say, "A what?", I tell them it looks similar to a Cherokee only larger.

Phunkeydude
06-18-2010, 09:22 AM
So many times I heard people say my heavily modified Commander looks like a Hummer and could not believe its a Jeep. However, I feel I did my share of impacting the Jeep world out there when I would plow over obstacles on trails that "only a Wrangler could do with lockers". LOL, I loved to see jaws drop when the XK would prove it was more than worthy to be called a trail rated Jeep.

Tymac
06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
While mine wasn't as built as your's I still never shy'd away from a challenge. I'm sure cico and Mike would atest to that. The numbers are extremely low when you consider the Commanders that do get offroaded compared to those that do not. I guess most view the Commander as an alternative to an Escalade.

And for those that may view this thread, going through deep snow on top of a paved road is not offroading. Sorry to disappoint you.

Although I do give props to the few guys on jeepcommander.com that turned their Commanders into "g" machines. They look sweet!

NeilSmith
06-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I am here !! I did change my username from Smitty1970. Smitty was my dad's nickname, not ever mine. I didnt like it too much and wish I could have changed it . There is only one person that ever calls me that anyway. So you guys will just have to call me Neil.:cool:

Little Evil
06-20-2010, 07:10 AM
First off, Happy Father's Day to all you dads. When I was at Jeep Skool in May, I was leading a Wrangler and S-10 Blazer through the backwoods. The trails are rutted badly and most of the obstacles are tree roots from near-by trees. I made it over one such tree root conglomerate, only to high-sided on the right side by another tree root about 100 yards up the trail. The Wrangler couldn't make it past the first tree root and had to be winched out. He comes up to me, apparently amazed that I made it so much farther up the trail than he did and says, "That Commander is a beast!" I could only grin back.

Thanks for the new forum!

wmjacobsjr
06-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Uh, mike, Did I tell you about this new forum? XK-forum.com you should check it out....

Hey thanks my friend. You are always a big help. I really do mean that.
I can atest for that Jason. We were going places we didn't go into in November. I even went into a place where I had to back out and man was it tight. That was when I made the wrong turn and you guys went another way.

Hey Mallory I remember you saying you still had mud from May on your XK. Well I still had mud under it from November. lol

Little Evil
06-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Ohio mud has a certain "stick" factor that the car washes can't seem to remove!

cico7
06-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey Mallory I remember you saying you still had mud from May on your XK. Well I still had mud under it from November. lol
The mud, oh the mud......I stuck my garden hose up behind the rear bumper cover this weekend and it was like i had never wash it. TYMAC, I followed you up the ski jump. a wild ride!!

Tymac
06-21-2010, 08:11 PM
You mean this hill climb? Wish someone could have videoed me rolling that large rock out of the way with my 4xguard skid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oudYd_Pq9sU

LWM
06-22-2010, 10:10 AM
The growth of this new forum has been encouraging to me, I now leave a tab for this forum and a tab for the other one open most of the time when I am on-line. If you get the window, invite some more friends to join us here and lets see what we can make of it.

I know this will be the primary forum that I post all my Camp Commander pictures and tales on so that others will stop in and see what was accomplished.

Again, thank you for all those who have joined so far.

powerslave1966
06-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I guess now would be a good time to get CICO7 to come up with some www.XK-Forum.com stickers. Maybe he and the forum can make a few bucks out of this?;)

LWM
06-25-2010, 10:13 AM
I have a couple of bids I am working on but he might get a better price (sticker will be included with paid membership so Ido not want to put up memberships until stickers are in my hand).

cico7
06-27-2010, 07:48 AM
I started to post a reply to the decal statement, but it disappeared. So if you see it in a different spot in the forum, you will know why, I lost it.

I offered to get a decal, and it is within the Knappster Planning Process. As soon as he tells me what he would like, I will start working on it. If he has another source...considering our relationship it may be a good idea....that's ok too!

cico7
06-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Crap! I posted this in the wrong area!! Ok, I am going to take some pills and get my dyslexia under control. And those that are dyslexic,
know how difficult this can be............

07JeepXK
06-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Crap! I posted this in the wrong area!! Ok, I am going to take some pills and get my dyslexia under control. And those that are dyslexic,
know how difficult this can be............

Moved to proper thread.

LWM
06-27-2010, 08:31 AM
There is another thread: http://xk-forum.com/showthread.php?37-XK-Forum-The-Ultimate-Commander-Logo-Contest

I know it is for a logo, but if practical I would like to use the logo or some form of it on the decal.

powerslave1966
07-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Holy Cheese! I love the new Header at the top! It is perfect! As far as the decals go, my opinion would be to just do www.xk-forum.com in the exact muddy font that you found and run with it. I don't know how much that will run you though as far as production.....

GPintheMitten
07-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Holy Cheese! I love the new Header at the top! It is perfect! As far as the decals go, my opinion would be to just do www.xk-forum.com in the exact muddy font that you found and run with it. I don't know how much that will run you though as far as production.....

Love that new header! Good job!