PDA

View Full Version : Considering Selling my Commander...

LWM
09-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I am considering selling my Commander and buying a new 2010 Commander.

Looks like most 2006's are topping out at $25,000 to $26,000.

Highest on Auto Trader was $27,800.

What do you think I can get for mine? I have 18,000 miles, never had any issues with it and lots of extras added.

07JeepXK
09-27-2010, 07:03 PM
You can't sell your Commander. You have way to many mods on it. Plus you just got that new rear bumper!

brendon
09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Your Commander is in excellent shape with really low miles. The mods are great and in my opinion add value. That being said, you'll need to find the person who wants one with what you've done with it. I'd say start at $30k, less if you're really motivated to sell.

I had 97 VW GTI with LOTS of engine work - bored over, blueprinted, rebuilt with the good stuff, supercharged, etc; along with suspension and other mods. Between the car (bought new in 97) and the mods, I had about $50k tied up in it!! I sold it for $7k which was basically about blue book for that model at the time of sale. It was 'worth' a lot more, but even enthusiasts who knew what they were dealing with didn't want to pay for someone else's mods.

Hopefully for your sake, the Jeep community is not so cheap!!

ETA: You scared me when I first read the title and saw you started the thread.

07JeepXK
09-27-2010, 07:22 PM
He scared me too!

LWM
09-27-2010, 08:24 PM
You scared me when I first read the title and saw you started the thread.

He scared me too!

Sorry, I was kind of looking for that response but I will only sell if the right buyer shows up, the 2010 will run me $36,174

Doc in AZ
09-27-2010, 09:08 PM
i've got about $25k in my TJ and i've had it up for sale for $14k for a month or so and no hits yet....

i sold my drag car for $6500 and i had almost that much in the motor...

there is an ass that fits every seat... how much time have you got for them to find you?

El Cid
09-28-2010, 05:44 AM
It can be risky, but you might consider selling it on eBay. I sold my two previous Jeeps -- a CJ7 and an LJ, both well-modded -- on there and got good money. That's where Russ sold "Big Red," too (the previous 4xGuard WK). It allows you to access a bigger pool of folks interested in a highly specialized vehicle such as you have.

LWM
09-28-2010, 06:30 AM
It can be risky, but you might consider selling it on eBay. I sold my two previous Jeeps -- a CJ7 and an LJ, both well-modded -- on there and got good money. That's where Russ sold "Big Red," too (the previous 4xGuard WK). It allows you to access a bigger pool of folks interested in a highly specialized vehicle such as you have.

Thats a good idea since I can put a reserve on it too.

07JeepXK
09-28-2010, 06:42 AM
So if you sold it would Doc be building you new bumpers? What about your snorkel.....would you buy another?

LWM
09-28-2010, 07:35 AM
So if you sold it would Doc be building you new bumpers? What about your snorkel.....would you buy another?

Yes, I would have Doc build both new bumpers and a roof rack. I would only replace the snorkle if they come through with the antenia modification, I really do miss my CAI.

Sal-XK
09-28-2010, 07:55 AM
I've learned my lessons over the years trading in my trucks with nothing wrong with them for new ones. Something I don't plan on doing ever again. I think you would have to find a specialized buyer and they never pay for what you have put in it. Maybe converting back to stock would make it easier to sell.

LWM
09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Most likely I will not find the deal I want, I wish the Commander had a couple more production years but we lost that fight. Ten years from now I will still be here with my 2006! If someone would give me $30,000 for my 2006 then I would do it but anything less is just a waste of money on my end.

ped4599
10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I think you will hav a hard time finding a 2010 that has all that you hav, especially for the price.I doubt you will find a Commander with QD2 and a hemi with out gettn a limited.QD2 is not standard anymore withe the Hemi, so you might get stuck with qt2.sure that's an ok system but in your case it would be a step backwards and I know you will notice it with your offroading trips.

ped4599
10-02-2010, 02:12 PM
And YES when I saw this thread I thot WTF.I was think what are you doing---you lead us all out here into the wilderness and left us! I just made the leap to this place and was worried you were hang it up.
Maybe the thread title shld be "thinkn of upgrading my commander;current one for sale."

LWM
10-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Too funny... No I will not leave or depart from you. The Commander I found had EVERYTHING I wanted but I had to come up with $10,000 difference so I will NOT be selling or trading for the being.

wrenchin hobo
10-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Ok, I'll give you:
$50 for the super sliders
$10 for the front bumper...it'll be hard to find parts should that one fail and that makes it cheap
$2 for one axle set of the spidertrax spacers
$shipping for the snorkel....hey it doesn't even have an antenna hole.

so, what do you say? deal? lol

Look at it this way, pay it off set it up to be a good expedition vehicle and keep the miles down. You'll be enjoying her for years. Our 07 already has 67k on the odo and I plan to have to build an engine, transfer case, both axles, transmission and roll it more than 200k before I purchase something else. The depreciation of these vehicles is so great that it's hard to justify buying one in the first place...almost like taking 15 or 20k and burning it so you can drive a vehicle for 3 to 6 years...doesn't really add up. However if you keep it and beat on it until you're just sick of rebuilding the same bucket over and over...then you get your money's worth.

But I think that everyone is entitled to my opinion. :D

LWM
10-03-2010, 09:57 PM
so, what do you say? deal? lol

Look at it this way, pay it off set it up to be a good expedition vehicle and keep the miles down.

Sorry... No deal :)

It is paid off and low mileage so I guess I will have to live with it!

ped4599
10-04-2010, 12:49 AM
actually 10,000 doesnt sound all that bad, of a difference, for a NEW 2010. And i bet you could get them down to 8000. then you would be able to take off all your mods, other than the bumpers, which you will be able to re build anyway. Then you would have the newest possible year they made. I change my mind on the trade and say to do it....so long as you get the QDII on it-- I wouldnt want to have to winch you! ;)

07JeepXK
10-04-2010, 10:52 AM
So are you saying you can get yourself in a new 2010 and only owe $10,000 on it? If this is the case, then id jump on that. I owe more then that on my 2007 that I have owned for over 3 years now.

LWM
10-04-2010, 12:04 PM
So are you saying you can get yourself in a new 2010 and only owe $10,000 on it? If this is the case, then id jump on that. I owe more then that on my 2007 that I have owned for over 3 years now.

Yes, but do I want another car payment when my current one is paid off?

07JeepXK
10-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, but do I want another car payment when my current one is paid off?

For a brand new 2010 QD II.......YES!!!!!!!

wrenchin hobo
10-04-2010, 04:38 PM
10k would be a nice torque y 392 stroker for your 06...or upgraded dana 44 front diff with 1000 hp axles also with a built torque converter and exhaust and ported heads and a cam and a 180 degree thermostat and labor.

I guess you know how i'd spend the 10k

GPintheMitten
10-06-2010, 07:19 AM
It absolutely makes no financial sense to trade, and you have a great XK, but........

I think this is going to be one of things that bugs you until you make the move. I say if you can afford it, go for it. But it will be more than $10K because you'll have to put another $2-3K in upgrades. Just make sure whatever you get has every possible option on it.

Either that or buy a 2010 and keep the '06.........easy for me to say.