PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Commander bumpers

Arrie
10-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Hi All.
I am going to start to export these steel off road bumpers for the Commander to the USA. If you are looking for a set, drop me a mail. [email protected].
Cheers
Arrie
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Sal-XK
10-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Sweet bumpers

07JeepXK
10-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Yup no pics....but you can send some bumpers my way so I can test them out for fellow members if you'd like....lol

superacerc
10-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Those are pretty nice. I like the smudged out number plates but you can still see it in the middle picture. Cost?

Arrie
10-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Front bumper, Winch ready - $ 2280
Rear Bumper - $ 2280
Spare Tire Carier - $ 600

LWM
10-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Front bumper, Winch ready - $ 2280
Rear Bumper - $ 2280
Spare Tire Carier - $ 600

Do these prices INCLUDE shipping?

Arrie
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Nope it does not include shipping. But I am working on a deal to do the shipping for very low price.

07JeepXK
10-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Wow.....those prices are extremely high. I believe Getlost was selling his front bumper for around a grand.

LWM
10-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Wow.....those prices are extremely high. I believe Getlost was selling his front bumper for around a grand.

That is also twice the price of a Stone Soup Metal Works bumper but it does provide an option for those who want something different

07JeepXK
10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Id love to have those bumpers, but not at that price. By the time you figure in shipping you could have bought a 4 inch Superlift and new tires.

Arrie
10-06-2010, 04:32 AM
They are a bit pricy but the are the best looking bumbers out threre , I think and they are very strong. Cause in SA we have to make sure that they are air bag proof. I have once bumped the full wieght of the Commander on the front bumber while comming down a obstical and it did not eaven moove.

Doc in AZ
10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
They are a bit pricy but the are the best looking bumbers out threre , I think and they are very strong. Cause in SA we have to make sure that they are air bag proof. I have once bumped the full wieght of the Commander on the front bumber while comming down a obstical and it did not eaven moove.

wow, i'm almost insulted by this... you aren't even a sponsoring vendor & you are talking trash about about my work... but at least my work is affordable.

07JeepXK
10-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Exactly. That's kind of messed up to say that. I highly doubt that your going to sell those bumpers for that price regardless. Doc can build us front and rear bumpers for probablly the same price as the cost of one bumper to include shipping to the U.S.

Sal-XK
10-06-2010, 08:46 PM
I have to say I love the look of your XK those bumpers are really nice. I do have to agree that the price is a little unrealistic for someone like me as well. I can't see justifying twice the price over what we can get here especially since functionality is the most important part then price then looks bringing up the rear. I think to get some action on these the price needs to come way down especially considering the shipping costs and then the logistics if there is a problem with the bumpers. You also need to give some background on the bumpers who makes them how there made. I mean Doc's experience is an open book for anyone to read about and its pretty impressive as well. If he says it will hold up it will hold up and based on his reputation and experience I trust him to build a solid product. To drop in with a product and give no info on them at almost twice the price I am not surprised by the guys reaction.

El Cid
10-07-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm not about to make a public judgment about who's got the best in terms of looks; I'll just say that you certainly have a sharp-looking set-up there. And while it looks like you're swimming upstream to try and get these sold over here, that's your business (literally), not ours.

Selfishly, I hope folks like you and Doc both succeed. After all, the more folks provide build-up parts for the Commander, the more folks are going to want to build up their Commanders. And the more folks want to build up their Commanders, the more folks might want to buy 4xGuard products!

Arrie
10-07-2010, 11:34 PM
I am very sorry if anybody feels insulted, but I did not shoot down any othewr bumpers out there. I am just giving you the statements that customers gave us. They said that there are other guys out there in South Africa building bumpers but they can't stand up to the caulity and the looks od the maniac bumpers. That is who is builing the bumpers. Maniac4x4. I am handeling the exporting of the bumpers. We sent 3 sets out to the US all ready. I am hoping to see some pic's of those some time. And the price you will get from Maniac is the same as I am sending them out for. I will have a look to see if we can drop the price a bit and let you know. But you cant beleave how work is going in to build thees bumpers. They are lazer cut and then double wielded for strength and built to be able to bolt on to any commander with no hasles.

But I will have a look at the pricing and get back to you. 276277

Doc in AZ
10-08-2010, 07:07 AM
I am very sorry if anybody feels insulted, but I did not shoot down any othewr bumpers out there. I am just giving you the statements that customers gave us. They said that there are other guys out there in South Africa building bumpers but they can't stand up to the caulity and the looks od the maniac bumpers. That is who is builing the bumpers. Maniac4x4. I am handeling the exporting of the bumpers. We sent 3 sets out to the US all ready. I am hoping to see some pic's of those some time. And the price you will get from Maniac is the same as I am sending them out for. I will have a look to see if we can drop the price a bit and let you know. But you cant beleave how work is going in to build thees bumpers. They are lazer cut and then double wielded for strength and built to be able to bolt on to any commander with no hasles.

But I will have a look at the pricing and get back to you. 276277

not to start a pissing match, but mine are all waterjet cut (CNC) and are all formed steel (CNC) and double welded with internal gusseting and a stout sub-frame. you said yours were the best looking bumpers out there... that is to say all others are inferior... just my take on it. what justifies the price of 3 times the market value here? is that a bad conversion from you local currency to USD? what's the price of shipping? maybe there is a strong market for my bumpers there with my more reasonable pricing.

Arrie
10-08-2010, 10:36 PM
not to start a pissing match, but mine are all waterjet cut (CNC) and are all formed steel (CNC) and double welded with internal gusseting and a stout sub-frame. you said yours were the best looking bumpers out there... that is to say all others are inferior... just my take on it. what justifies the price of 3 times the market value here? is that a bad conversion from you local currency to USD? what's the price of shipping? maybe there is a strong market for my bumpers there with my more reasonable pricing.

Well post some pic's of your front and rear bumpers and we can have a look at them. And also some pic's off your rock slider, diff covers ext.

Arrie
10-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Sorry. Never mind found them on Facebook. They look ok. But not the look the SA boys would go for. All the orders we have recieved, the guys say they whant the bumpers to look like it would be a OEM part. But I will ask around and see if there are some guys that would like to have that look on there Commanders and let you know. Our bumpers price are on par with the bumpers you buy from ARB, in SA.

Now to Cpompare and show what I mean. The winch fitted to the top of the bumper is more of a Wrangler look and the people here whant it fitted inside the bumper. The Spare tire swing arm attach point they also whant inside the rear bumper.

07JeepXK
10-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Doc didn't make that front bumper. That was built by GetLost4x4.

Btw, it's a lot harder to maintain/service a "hidden winch" as opposed to a winch you have access to on top of the bumper.

kitkat
10-14-2010, 03:33 PM
I have seen the SA bumpers before and they look very nice, a little too Ralley but very nice. But, unfortunately, for the money to bring them in, you could buy another 4x4 to use on the trails.

Doc, I checked your facebook and the bumper turned out very nice...have you done a front one yet? Are these something you can make again for other Commander guys? How much? any chance of shipping to Canada?

WanderingTs
10-17-2010, 08:31 PM
While I agree with some of the facts posted here, I am a little suprised at the tone of this thread. If someone thinks they have a better looking product, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and only an opinion. Everyone is entitled to theirs, and this forum is a great place for them to trumpet it to the world.

Debating the merits of manufacturing methods, engineering types, options, and overall quality are healthy things and lead to improvements and better products for us all. The tone of some of the above posts is worrisome to me though that we may, as a community, be heading into a "my way is the only right way" perspective. I love that we have an open forum, with many different opinions, and Arrie is someone who has a lot of great information to share. Arrie also has a vastly different perspective than many of us do, based on being out of country and in a desert area unlike most of the U.S. (Yes, I know some of us on the forum live in the desert, but many do not.)

When I bought my XK and found the "other forum" that many of us started on, continuing on into Knappster's Ultimate XK Forum, I have been treated to perspectives and experience I would have no other way to access. How else would I hear about what XK owners on the other side of the planet think is cool?

El Cid
10-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Very well said, my friend.

As I noted above, how Arrie and co. price, design, or even advertise their product is their business. Let's all just be glad other folks out there are trying to promote these vehicles as the off-road beasts they are. That's good for everyone, I should think.

fco27
11-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Hey Doc do you have a website?

LWM
11-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Hey Doc do you have a website?

Looks like it is a work in progress:

http://www.stonesoupmetalworks.com/

But you can Click Here (http://www.facebook.com/stonesoupmetalworks?__a=8) to see his work on Facebook.

fco27
11-09-2010, 09:51 AM
tanx