PDA

View Full Version : Jeep wave ?

06blkhemi
10-07-2010, 04:42 PM
So why don't we deserve the "JEEP WAVE"?
My guess,is that we're not considered to be a "Real Jeep" Do they not know that we can have factory lockers front and rear,V8's,and still have comfort to and from the trail? Maybe their just jealous? I'm kinda jealous that I don't have a solid front axle,because that would have made the XK more wanted by offroaders !
In my Cherokee I'm so used to getting the Jeep wave,but with my Commander I'm feeling kinda left out !:( I did have a fellow XK driver the other day give me the wave,but that's been it !!:mad:

LWM
10-07-2010, 05:46 PM
I get very few waves as well but I do get a lot more if I go first!

superacerc
10-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I got one yesterday.....It was from an FJ Cruiser with lift, km2s, rack, bumpers and baja lights. I think thats the only one i've ever got from anyone. When I drive my old cars however its a never ending tsunami of waves and windows rolling down to say "nice car." Makes you feel good.

06blkhemi
10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Could just be that I'm still a stocker yet? I just ordered my Matrix Pushbar from 4xGuard,and waiting for their rocker sliders to come out.. I think I'm either going to order the RR2.25 lift or the kevins offroad (KOR)2.5"lift. Sticking with the stock size tires for now though...

powerslave1966
10-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Well I didn't get "the wave" but as I was parking in front of a local gas stop, I noticed an XK with temporary plates. As I was getting off, two guys were coming out of the store, they both look at each other and one says "Se Mira Mamalona, No?" (Looks Bitchin', Right?) They were the ones in the newly bought XK. (Hope they checked out my killer decals I got from CICO!!!!)

06blkhemi
10-07-2010, 08:52 PM
As I was getting off What exactly do they do at that local gas stop ?!!:confused: HAHAHA!!;)

Haha, I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

powerslave1966
10-07-2010, 09:30 PM
What exactly do they do at that local gas stop ?!!:confused: HAHAHA!!;)

Well I guess that's why u don't get the wave at that gas stop!!! LOL!!!!!!

Spigot
02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Got one today. The Jeep wave is alive and well in Colorado!

Sal-XK
02-15-2011, 04:38 AM
The wave is dead around here at Ft Bragg. It makes sense though there so many jeeps that your whole commute would be spent waving I guess. Not even the wranglers get the wave I noticed while following them. I get a lot of looks and a head nod once in a while though does that count.

superacerc
02-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Got one the other day while travelling around Marble Falls when my and strokez were playing offroad (from a wrangler!).

Spigot
02-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I must be a XK snob, because I only wave to fellow commander drivers! lol

txbajacommander
02-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I get occasionally, but I tend to check out any lifted Jeep. Maybe I wave first?

1USMC
02-16-2011, 07:18 PM
I read one blogger say that it should only be the "Wrangler" Jeep wave. There is always one in every crowd.

Interesting site.. ref. The Jeep wave.. http://www.jeepboard.com/jeepwave/index.html

I think this one does the math for you.. http://www.jeepboard.com/jeepwave/mjwhr2.mv

Spigot
02-23-2011, 08:28 PM
I read one blogger say that it should only be the "Wrangler" Jeep wave. There is always one in every crowd.

Interesting site.. ref. The Jeep wave.. http://www.jeepboard.com/jeepwave/index.html

I think this one does the math for you.. http://www.jeepboard.com/jeepwave/mjwhr2.mv

My favorite ..."Holes above glove box where passenger ripped grab-bar out: +3" LMAO.

Matt
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Around my area it's more of a "lifted vehicle wave".... basically i give props to ANY modified/lifted vehicle regardless of make/model, and always get a nod in return.

I never really understood the "Jeep" wave... hard to explain... but it seems too much like blind brand loyalty (ya know... those people who own a Jeep just for the sake of having a Jeep). I'll wave to a modded to hell 4 runner with mud tires and a snorkel before i wave to a grocery getter stock wrangler (not that stock wranglers aren't capable... just trying to make a point).

When i had my silverado lifted on 37s ill never forget the time that i was turning through an intersection and got a giant "thumbs up" from a lifted F250 super duty. Yes, i returned the favor... it's always nice to know there are still guys out there who respect the "sport", not the "brand".

Edit: FWIW, i DO the motorcycle wave as well... don't care if you're on a cruiser or sport bike. But i do know guys who won't wave to another bike unless it's a Harley; that crap reminds me of the "jeep" wave (might be a better analogy)

Ross
02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Like Matt_, Where I live its more of if you have a rig that looks offroad capable. There are also many 2011 lifted wrangler unlimiteds with rims and tires in my town, but I dont really count those as offroad vehicles because the people who drive them are either soccer moms or high school girls, who just get them for the "look" as opposed to the offroad capabilitys .

Sal-XK
02-27-2011, 12:37 PM
I agree at least 90% of the wrangles I see never get off road and never will. So the snobbish attitude towards non wranglers is just stupid. If I see you in any jeep that goes off road any jeep it deserves a wave. Any other vehicle you get at least a head nod if not a wave depending on mood.

LWM
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I spent 48 hours over five days sitting in my Jeep in a parking lot at Phoenix International Raceway and I had dozens on people come up and admire the Commander, some had never seen one up close but everyone agreed that it is certainly and OFF ROAD Jeep.

XK N00b
04-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I have yet to notice "the wave" in any vehicle since I sold my VW Bug years ago. But in that, I couldn't pass another bug without getting a wave. Maybe I'll see more of it after a couple mods

Ross
04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
My friend has an old vw golf that is fully loaded with turbo and all. From what he tells me, it seems as if, like the jeep community, vw owners are quite a close knit society.

drad08
04-08-2011, 12:00 PM
I barely get that, I got a thumbs up from a liberty only once!

XK N00b
08-07-2011, 01:21 PM
When I bought the Commander, I knew they existed though I hadn't given them much attention. Now that I have one, I see them EVERYWHERE and I'm starting to think I am the only male in the Phoenix area to drive one. This leads me to believe that the "jeep wave" is not relayed to Commanders as girls are simply unaware of the wave's existence.

Sal-XK
08-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm starting to think I am the only male in the Phoenix area to drive one.

LMAO I see the same thing bro and when a dude is driving the ignore me even at stop lights when I'm trying to make eye contact for a wave they just won't even look at me. Driving my XJ home I got more waves in that one drive then I have ever received in my XK period. :(

LWM
08-07-2011, 02:45 PM
LMAO I see the same thing bro and when a dude is driving the ignore me even at stop lights when I'm trying to make eye contact for a wave they just won't even look at me. Driving my XJ home I got more waves in that one drive then I have ever received in my XK period. :(

I drove by the gas station the other day and two guys were filling up their Commander. They saw mine drive by and stepped out from behind theirs to take a double take at a real Commander. :)

06blkhemi
08-07-2011, 02:50 PM
LMAO I see the same thing bro and when a dude is driving the ignore me even at stop lights when I'm trying to make eye contact for a wave they just won't even look at me. Driving my XJ home I got more waves in that one drive then I have ever received in my XK period. :( With my old XJ same thing. Wave to everyone even a few Wranglers! XK I get one or two and thats it! That's why we're a cult ,even more so then those Wrangler guys!!

Sal-XK
08-07-2011, 04:13 PM
I drove by the gas station the other day and two guys were filling up their Commander. They saw mine drive by and stepped out from behind theirs to take a double take at a real Commander. :)

Oh I catch plenty doing double takes and checking the XK out they just must think I'm unapproachable :)

With my old XJ same thing. Wave to everyone even a few Wranglers! XK I get one or two and thats it! That's why we're a cult ,even more so then those Wrangler guys!!

I would diffidently classify this group of jeep owners as a cult that probably has most other owners beat.

fosh69
08-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I always try to give a wave for all Jeep owners... for me, Jeep speaks "America". I rarely get a wave back, though... especially from other XK drivers (I notice the majority of them are women or fellas that don't seem to care about the off-road hobby). In that way, I can see why most XK drivers don't get a wave unless they have a heavily modified rig... most off-roaders that select Jeeps go for the Wrangler because it's, well, iconic... Jeeps target buyer for the XJ was obviously soccer moms and business pros. (like the H2 and H3). Jeep should have done two versions: ifs awd, and sfa selectable 4wd. The latter would have been a true trail rated limited edition. That's just my opinion.

BTW, Sal... your rig needs some tube doors.

Sal-XK
08-07-2011, 08:42 PM
BTW, Sal... your rig needs some tube doors.

I completely agree it's on the mod list :D

CoreyZ
08-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Seems less of a brand loyalty these days and more of an "interest loyalty". Ive seen people acknowledge other rigs that are lifted with off road equipment before two glances at the same brand.

AJeepZJ
08-11-2011, 08:38 AM
It is amazing how quickly your eye will LOCK onto a modified Jeep, even at PERIPHERAL vission, lmao. I pass 50+ Jeeps everyday, most of them college folks. (Greenville is College town, and Jeeps are cheap so they are everywhere, especially XJ's and WJ/ZJ's)... And I'll be the first wave if I see a Jeep has had some work done to it. Especially Grand Cherokee's. I do get Jeep Waves a few times a week. Mostly from ZJ's and WJ's - My WK is the most lifted Grand Cherokee in the city from observation - Imagine a WK owning that title.

There are at least 3 lifted XK's here.. one of them IS SuperLifted. I crossed him at an intersection and we both tilted our sunglasses and pointed at each other - it was pretty comical, lol. The other two XK's are BB lifted with Bilsteins and BFG's (yes I'm VERY aware of the XK/WK's around here) There are 2 lifted WK's here, one Khaki (of course because we are amazing) the other blue - both BB lifted.

I do not wave or give a seconds notice to Hummers, Chevy's, Fords, Land Rovers, and daggone Toyota's... It's all brand loyalty here, especially for grand cherokee's.

CmmdrDan
08-12-2011, 12:44 PM
It is amazing how quickly your eye will LOCK onto a modified Jeep, even at PERIPHERAL vission, lmao. I pass 50+ Jeeps everyday, most of them college folks. (Greenville is College town, and Jeeps are cheap so they are everywhere, especially XJ's and WJ/ZJ's)... And I'll be the first wave if I see a Jeep has had some work done to it. Especially Grand Cherokee's. I do get Jeep Waves a few times a week. Mostly from ZJ's and WJ's - My WK is the most lifted Grand Cherokee in the city from observation - Imagine a WK owning that title.

There are at least 3 lifted XK's here.. one of them IS SuperLifted. I crossed him at an intersection and we both tilted our sunglasses and pointed at each other - it was pretty comical, lol. The other two XK's are BB lifted with Bilsteins and BFG's (yes I'm VERY aware of the XK/WK's around here) There are 2 lifted WK's here, one Khaki (of course because we are amazing) the other blue - both BB lifted.

I do not wave or give a seconds notice to Hummers, Chevy's, Fords, Land Rovers, and daggone Toyota's... It's all brand loyalty here, especially for grand cherokee's.

I waved at a lifted XK in OBX. He did not wave back. I was sad. Then I saw the Brush Fire truck down there. OMG I want to drive it.

cico7
08-12-2011, 01:10 PM
I might wave at people, but not vehicles....If I am caught or I catch someone staring, then maybe...

pjmjr508
08-12-2011, 03:05 PM
surprise surprise I got a jeep wave from a lifted JK.

EvilJager
08-14-2011, 05:55 AM
I get a few waves from other jeeps but mostly get drooled on by passing cars. And then there's the one when im in a parking lot and they are staring when they Walk by about to walk into someone elses car ! Haha

Sal-XK
08-14-2011, 08:08 AM
And then there's the one when im in a parking lot and they are staring when they Walk by about to walk into someone elses car ! Haha

I get that one a lot to bro. I waved a nicely lifted XJ while in my XK yesterday and the guy waved back :)

EvilJager
08-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Yea I know when I got lost in Greenville I saw jeeps everywhere!

AJeepZJ
08-14-2011, 10:19 AM
^lol