PDA

View Full Version : Height of XK w 4" superlift

strokeZ
10-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Can anyone tell me the height of the XK with a 4" Superlift and 33" tires? Trying to figure out if it will still fit in my garage / work parking garage if I do this mod.

Thanks for any help.

07JeepXK
10-24-2010, 05:19 PM
It will stand about 3 inches taller then your current setup.

Sal-XK
10-24-2010, 05:41 PM
It will stand about 3 inches taller then your current setup.

Correct if I'm wrong but I read somewhere the benefits of this lift was the way it was lifted not the actual inches it lifted it.

strokeZ
10-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I think in terms of ground clearance you are correct SAl-XK. I am running essentially 32's and if I install 33's it only gives my ground clearance another 1/2 inch. The difference results in overall vehicle height which is what I am interested it for this question.

07JeepXK - that seems quite significant, but I am not surprised. I think that puts me right at the edge of my parking garage at work...hmmmmmmm.

Thanks guys for your comments! Much appreciated...

07JeepXK
10-25-2010, 04:20 AM
Correct if I'm wrong but I read somewhere the benefits of this lift was the way it was lifted not the actual inches it lifted it.

I dont think i totally understand what you mean by this.

I think in terms of ground clearance you are correct SAl-XK. I am running essentially 32's and if I install 33's it only gives my ground clearance another 1/2 inch. The difference results in overall vehicle height which is what I am interested it for this question.

Not exactly true. The tires alone will only net you about 1/2 inch of additional ground clearance so yes you are correct with that statement. However the actual suspension lift is going to give you a few more inches of ground clearance under the belly of the vehicle which matters the most when it comes to off roading. As the belly of the XK is rising due to the larger tires and bigger lift, so is the top of the XK. Basically the top of your Commander will sit approx. 3 inches taller then with your current lift provided your running 33 inch tires with the 4 inch superlift.

strokeZ
10-25-2010, 06:30 AM
I agree with all that you have said. I know that Jeep and Toyota (for the FJ) quote "ground clearance" as the lowest point of the vehicle to the ground - and for both that is the differential which is what I was thinking of. Agree the underbelly will rise and also agree that it's very beneficial. I think Sal-XK was referring to the 4" lift maintaining a better geometry for the suspension than a simple spacer lift (lots of folks use this one as a reason to go to a 4"). I am not sure if that claim is 100% true, but it makes sense.

Unfortunately this might now take a back seat to a new bumper since I scared mine pretty badly against a tree this weekend. DOH!

07JeepXK
10-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Both of the 4 inch lift kits on the market maintain the factory geometry, or pretty damn close to it. Definately better then a spacer lift. On any vehicle no matter how much lift you have, the only thing that brings up the ground clearance under the axles is bigger tires. Unless you have portal axles, high clearance axles or Atomic axles....etc. So basically the more lift you have, the bigger the tire you can fit which increases axle clearance. To me, the clearance under the belly is more important. With a good spotter you can negotiate rough terrain with minimal axles clearance as long as you have the belly clearance.

Sal-XK
10-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Thats exactly what I was talking about the geometry being at stock with this lift which I would think is a huge reason to get it if you can afford it.

Check out Huey's garage there should be a real good how to on rhino or bed lining your bumper's. It a pretty good look covers all you scratches and stuff and is easily repaired when you hit it again.

strokeZ
10-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Will do and thanks! Might look a bit hokey w the red, but better than a nice scab off of the edge....

I found the superlift 4" for around $1450, standard shocks, no egr module - the EGR is around $200. Several have it for $1800 and change with everything. Its more with the SSR shocks. Adding 3" to my current set up gives me 6'81/2" to the top of the roof rail. I can remove those and easily get in the garages. Dangerously close to pulling the trigger LOL!

Thanks guys for all of your comments and help!