PDA

View Full Version : For those with 4" Superlift kits, Would you recommend SSR shocks?

strokeZ
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Would you recommend SSR shocks over the standard super ride shocks?

07JeepXK
10-25-2010, 04:12 PM
I dont have the 4 inch Superlift but I have heard from others that the standard shocks are garbage. I'd definately go with the SSR's.

strokeZ
10-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah, it's anywhere from $200 to $400 difference in price with the SSR's. I figure better go for it now cuz it will really hurt if I have to change later..... My local guy tells me that the SSR's give a much stiffer ride and less body roll. I think that is what made me ask the question cuz Houston city roads are not all that great.

superacerc
10-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Didn't realize you were also in Houston. No they aren't that great are they. I need a long travel setup just to get to work almost.

strokeZ
10-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Man I drove from Houston to Detroit and gotta say that even Detroit, for as bad as a wrap as they get have better roads than we do. Freeways, no, but secondaries stink here.

Well hell if you are here in town, let's meet up sometime. I think wrenchin hobo is here as well. Would be cool.

kmax
10-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I think the SSR's are worth the money. I didn't think they ride stiffer than stock. My seat of the pants feel between my XK and my wife's - mine rides better, more cadillac-ish. Her's has the side to side pitching through pot holes and mine does not. Her's has the BDS 2" kit but we kept the stock struts and rear shocks. The SSR's have been great. Admittedly overkill for places like moab where they don't heat up, but I think they give a great ride.

strokeZ
10-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Cool and THANKS! Looks like from your signature that you stayed with 32" tires....my plan as well - at least til they wear out :) I was quoted $800 for the install from our local 4x4 place....does that sound reasonable?

kmax
10-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I've stayed with the 32's since I bought them with only 50 miles on them a year and a half ago and they're not really wearing out. So I've actually had those taken off the Rubi rims and have installed 285/70/17 KM2's. I'll reinstall the 255's on my factory rims to trade the XK off, probably next fall. I'm kind of a slow driver so I don't wear tires out too quickly.

As for the install, I think $800 is right in there. I had my local dealer install my 4" SL and their rate for doing that was $85/hr. Since they had never done one previous to mine, it took them 22 hours (=$1,870!!) which they were more than happy to cut to $850 since they used my Jeep as their guinea pig. Yours won't take near that time if your installer had already done this kit.

By the way - you'll love it. It's a fantastic addition to the Commander.

strokeZ
10-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Just FYI - Superlift is no longer offering SSR's with the kit. Either stock Super Rides or Bilstein's are now the choices. 4-6 week lead time (Yikes!).

strokeZ
11-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. If all goes according to plan I will have the lift installed early next week! PSYCHED!

LWM
11-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Very good, looking forward to seeing some new taller pictures!

strokeZ
11-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Finally got the rig back after a week of being in the shop. installed the 4xGuard as well over the weekend. The superlift really is a great addition to the XK (as is the 4xGuard). Best thing happened when I went to a party last night. A new JK was sitting in the driveway and I kinda dwarfed him. Poor guy took a lot of heckling from his friends - they asked....what Jeep is THAT? LOL. Not the reason I lifted it, but that alone made it sort of worth while. Will post pics when I get back in the country.

strokeZ
12-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Thought I would shoot a few shots of the new kit

4" Lift w 265's
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png[/IMG]

4" lift w 285's - same angle (thereabout)
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/12/CIMG1341-1.jpg

Few more angles
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/12/CIMG1343-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/12/CIMG1345-1.jpg

New Wheels
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/12/CIMG1349-1.jpg

Few interior shots:

Aftermarket video screen
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/12/CIMG1337-1.jpg

SRT Pedals
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/12/CIMG1336-1.jpg

After market heated seat switches:
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/12/CIMG1334-1.jpg

07JeepXK
12-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Looks nice! Cant wait until the day when I have a Superlift on the XK.

1USMC
01-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Just FYI - Superlift is no longer offering SSR's with the kit.

I think I got the last SSR shock from Superlift. Last ONE.. then I spent almost a month looking for a distributer that had another one to make it a Pair ! I've been very happy with them so far ,and I carry a lot of weight ( in my Commander). I was starting to look at Bilstein 5160/65's as a back up.

On an JK http://www.off-road.com/jeep/review/bilstein-5160-shock-installation-on-jeep-jk-53030.html

strokeZ
01-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I just went with their normal super ride shock. Local shop tells me that they can always swap them out for resivoir shocks if needed. So far so good - they ride nice and seem to work well off road when called upon.

1USMC
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Your wheel and tire combo look very sharp !

strokeZ
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks! I really prefer the stock wheels, but decided to go with these since I got a fantasic deal on them and they were the same spec as the AEV Pintler wheels.

txbajacommander
01-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I think I got the last SSR shock from Superlift. Last ONE.. then I spent almost a month looking for a distributer that had another one to make it a Pair ! I've been very happy with them so far ,and I carry a lot of weight ( in my Commander). I was starting to look at Bilstein 6160/65's as a back up. I've got the fox shocks in the rear, resi , I love them

El Cid
01-28-2011, 09:07 AM
In all our trail-testing of the Superlift kit, we've run it a number of ways. For many folks, the regular ol' shocks will do fine.

That said, we've had the best luck with Bilsteins. Indeed, 4xGuard is working on distributing them for the express purpose of upgrading from the standard set-up. Just a thought.

LWM
01-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Any update on the new improved 4" Superlift?

superacerc
01-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Strokez just had his superlift put on and the first few minutes offroad his superlink sway bar connection (longer than stock) broke off. Definitely a manufacturer defect. It came apart at the seams.....literally. We only articulated a bit wasn't even a bad spot. More like a pothole.

strokeZ
01-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Yep it was a bit disappointing. Going to contact superlift today to see if they will cover. Also experienced the same issue KMAX and a few others had with the rr wheels going forward into the fender flares. Needless to say I have to buy stock in those little plastic clips!!! All in all it was a great outing and lots of fun.

strokeZ
01-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Ran to the install shop during lunch and they agree that this was a part failure. They are contacting superlift to get two replacements FoC. Should be back to normal soon. The sway bar links they supplied are just pressed together. If they come like that the install shop will weld the ends to make sure this doesn't happen again. Would be nice if JKS or JeepinbyAl can come up with some adjustable quick connect links.....I know they are in the works, but shall see.

Sal-XK
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Thats disappointing news especially for the price they charge for their lifts. I think El Cid is running BDS front and superlift Rear.

El Cid
02-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Bummer about those links. Let me know if Superlift gives you fits about it, as I might be able to apply some pressure in that regard.

@Sal: Nope. I had full BDS and then went to full Superlift with the exception of a prototype rear set-up that alleviates the issues (one already noted above) with the rear of the current Superlift kit.

@Knappster: I'm hoping to have something to share soon.

strokeZ
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the offer and will let you know. I may try out those JBA front quick disconnects - website claims they are available for the public now.

strokeZ
02-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Sort of good news here. Superlift is sending the replacements out this week free of charge. Bad news is that they didn't even wink at it so this must have happened before. Still - good that they are backing their product.

07JeepXK
02-02-2011, 08:36 AM
If your refering to the rear sway bar end links, JKS makes a set of adjustable quick disconnects. Your not going to break these. I promise!

El Cid
02-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Sort of good news here. Superlift is sending the replacements out this week free of charge. Bad news is that they didn't even wink at it so this must have happened before.

Maybe, maybe not. It's also just not an expensive part to replace.

strokeZ
02-02-2011, 08:46 AM
07JeepXK : Yeah might do the JKS in the future, but was talking about the front links. JBA claims to have some developed for the XK - I just cannot get a hold of them.

El Cid: True maybe they just had a bad run of parts and know about it.....hard to say.

strokeZ
02-10-2011, 07:13 AM
UPDATE: 2 new front swaybar links have been shipped and ready for install. Pretty evident the problem with the previous one that broke. Both ends of the link that remain on the Jeep as well as the two new ones are rolled at the ends and then welded. The link that broke on me was NOT welded (must have slipped through Superlifts QC process) and this explains why it just pulled apart when even the slightest stress was put on it. Part of me feels better, the other part of me wonders what else they might have missed??????

Sal-XK
02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Stuff happens hopefully that was the only piece that made it on to your jeep that was not finished.

strokeZ
02-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah I know. At least they are manning up and replacing it for free.