PDA

View Full Version : Wheel servicing with Spydertrax spacers

strokeZ
10-27-2010, 10:54 AM
So I went to my local tire shop to get the wheels rotated and balanced and was a little taken back then I was told that the shop would not work on the truck without removing my spacers and not reinstalling them. Is this standard policy? I purchased tire from this large dealer to have the convenience of free balances and rotations when needed.

Has anyone else run into this? Does anyone in the Houston area know of a shop that will do this for me (not for free of course).

stZ

LWM
10-27-2010, 12:00 PM
This has become a real issue with many who go to Discount Tire for example, the tire shops do not want the liablity if a tire comes off so they instituted a "no spacer" policy. I have not personnaly had this problem but I do use Discount Tire exclusively and fear I may be running into the same issue in the near future.

strokeZ
10-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Seems the lawyers are working their way from TX to AZ. I have been calling around since I got back and no one will touch em - not even 4x4 specialty stores. Kinda disheartening since I may be forced into new rims and my spacers are only a few months old :-(

LWM
10-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Yep, I have 10 Rubicon rims and I too might end up having to look for new rims for my Commander and then try to sell the spacers.

07JeepXK
10-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Some shops are scared to work on vehicles with wheel spacers. If they're installed properly there not going to fail, period. I rotate my own tires because I dont trust anyone else to do it. I have asked places to torque the wheel lugs to 90 ft. lbs. because I have wheel spacers and they appearently blow me off. I caught one shop just using an impact to tighten them when I specifically asked them to use a torque wrench.

Sal-XK
10-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Thats funny I got my tires rotated the other day and told the guy to remove the 1/4 spacer up front because the tires should fit. He did but he was worried and wanted to put them back on LOL. The guy I bought the tires from snuck those on this one I was watching.

strokeZ
11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Quick update here - so I was asked to fill out a survey on the service that was provided to me and let's just say I was less than kind. A few days go by and I get a phone call from none other than the VP of the company asking what they can do to make me happy. He explained the policy that they do not and will not work on spacers and offered to either give me new rubber that was meant for the vehicle (no), or sell me some new wheels with the proper offset at their cost, all switching fees (balance, mount, etc) covered by them.

I am not sure I will take them up on this since I really would like the AEV Pintler rims BUT I was pretty impressed with the fact that they actually pay attention to the surveys. OH Yes, they sponser this site and they were also mentioned in this thread. I am not one to trash a vendor unless I am asked, but am more than happy to give props when due.

Sal-XK
11-04-2010, 07:46 PM
If you have the funds available I would go with new wheels and sell your spacers to help cover the cost. You can get much lighter stronger wheels and usually better looking ones to. IMO the right wheels over spacers any day. But yea I'm impressed that they called you and made this effort to make you happy that is pretty cool.

strokeZ
11-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Agree fully with that Sal, but funds are going towards the 4" superlift and install, and a 4XGuard skid plate and hopefully the rock rails. I was hoping to wait and get new wheels and tires when my 265's wear out and I can then upgrade to 285's at the same time. I may be forced into new wheels vs rock rails....ug...

superacerc
11-08-2010, 09:35 AM
That's a pretty penny you're spending. I'm contemplating the Superlift right now and it's pretty pricey to get that and have it installed. I believe I can do it myself though and save a few bucks. The 4xguard rails are on the list as well and an ARB locker. Anyone got some spare change?

strokeZ
11-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Exactly - you can find the Superlift for under $2k if you look hard enough, but need to make sure that the ERG module is included. There is a place advertizing it for $1450 but no ERG module (~$270) and then you have to pay shipping for a 250 lb package on top of that. On top of all of that there is a 4 to 6 week waiting period if you buy it new from a place that does not stock it. I was able to find only two ready to roll. One in Utah and one in California. I let them battle it out and got the kit for just under $1900 w/ free shipping. Not a great deal, but not a bad one either. I would install it myself except that I am probably the worlds worst welder....