PDA

View Full Version : Factory Skid Plates

strokeZ
01-03-2011, 01:50 PM
I was just quoted $465 for the gas tank skid plate by the local stealer, but see it on line for around $200. Can anyone explain the possible reason for the difference in price?

LWM
01-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I do think I paid just under $200 for mine as well, just make sure it is the skid plate with the mount for the transmission plate. $465 might be the complete package.

strokeZ
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah I just found it online for around $230 delivered. Not sure how the install will go but looks a little tricky - time and patience I guess. I have all the skids except that one. Dealer claims $200 for delivery from CA which is quite high so they must be doing 2nd day delivery or something.

Sal-XK
01-03-2011, 06:14 PM
There charging you for delivery and the install hours because you have to drop the gas tank to put it on. I've seen them as low as $150 so just do it your self man. I like to get quotes on service then do it my self and add up my cost and then laugh at how much money I save. I put top end brakes on my wifes car and bought jack stands and still saved $300 doing it myself $300 in my pocket blows my mind.

strokeZ
01-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah and then I also look at it like this - so I need some tools to do the install and even if it costs the same I leave with a job well done and tools to boot! I have seen people quote on the other forum that they have had it installed for $40. The install instructions quote 1/2 hour to do the job, so that might be right, but seems really low to me.

LWM
01-04-2011, 07:07 AM
I did pay to have that one installed but I do not rememebr what I paid any longer (it was 4 years ago).

Sal-XK
01-04-2011, 09:06 AM
The cool thing is you don't have to buy new tools unless you want to. The parts store usually has a wide variety of loaner tools that people usually don't have in there box. I used this doing my wifes breaks, I had a caliper compression tool but the wrong kind for her car. Just went back to Autozone and borrowed the right tool and done in no time.

strokeZ
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
True! I have borrowed spring compressors / etc from those places from time to time. I usually do that comparison when working on the BMW (hard to find loaner tools for many of the quirky fittings). I love to get my hands dirty, unless time is a factor.

One thing I really like about the XK's is that they are pretty easy to work on and there is lots of room!

strokeZ
01-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Just to close the thread, installing the fuel tank plate was a major PITA!!! Took most of the day and I had my dunce cap on a few times. What made it really hard was that the superlift drivers side rear arm attachment blocked me from getting to a bolt so it had to come off as well.

Sal-XK
01-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know if the 4xguard front skid is compatible with the stock skids. It looks like it is from the pics.

LWM
01-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know if the 4xguard front skid is compatible with the stock skids. It looks like it is from the pics.

The belly plate is fully compatible, I have one on my rig.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/SkidPlates006-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/SkidPlates005-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/safetyImg01-1.jpg

Sal-XK
01-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Cool the wife asked what I wanted for my B day of course I said jeep parts LOL. She asked for website or something all I said was 4Xguard LOL I'll take anything from there we site i said hopefully she's feeling generous. :)

El Cid
01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I hope she is, too, Sal.

Both the Belly Guard and the Front Guard 4 are fully compatible with the factory skids.

Sal-XK
01-27-2011, 05:25 PM
I showed the wife your website she said she will hook me up :) On a side note she thought the matrix was ugly:rolleyes: But she liked everything else.

IamJEEP
01-31-2011, 12:55 PM
I hope she is, too, Sal.

Both the Belly Guard and the Front Guard 4 are fully compatible with the factory skids.

Can these be used if I don't have factory skid plates?

El Cid
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Both the Belly Guard and the Front Guard 4 are fully compatible with not having the factory skids. :)

Sal-XK
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I called my dealer today as well and they said $465 for the tank skid, just the skid no install no nothing. What a rip off IMO. I will order mine on line as well I guess.

IamJEEP: I would say yes but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. On the other hand I would get the factory skids no matter what. To bad 4xGuard don't make factory skids I'm sure they would be lighter and stronger, stronger for sure.

LWM
01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
I called my dealer today as well and they said $465 for the tank skid, just the skid no install no nothing. What a rip off IMO.

I paid less than that for all three OEM skid plates and the install of the gas tank skid (I installed the other two).

superacerc
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Having spent a considerable time under my commander lately I have come to realize that I alrady have the metal tank skid plate!! Yay. It already has a few minor dents in it (as does my muffler, well the muffler has more than a few).

strokeZ
01-31-2011, 01:18 PM
That is pretty much the price I was quoted from the stealer as well. What stinks is that you cannot install the xfer case skid without the fuel tank skid.....

I got mine on line as well. Just for s*&ts and giggles I asked how much to install. They quoted me an hour labor over the phone, but the directions say 30 min. Between that and our conversation I did it myself but it was not easy since the superlift rr linkage was covering a bolt I had to remove. I am sure that would have been another few hours added on.

strokeZ
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Having spent a considerable time under my commander lately I have come to realize that I alrady have the metal tank skid plate!! Yay. It already has a few minor dents in it (as does my muffler, well the muffler has more than a few).

Do you have the holes for the transfer skid plate to mount to? If not, then you have a thin plate that was not designed for offroading. I had the same thing and it was pretty flimsy when I removed it. You basically need to remove the thin one to put the thicker one on.

Sal-XK
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
strokeZ where did you order you skids from?

superacerc
01-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Do you have the holes for the transfer skid plate to mount to? If not, then you have a thin plate that was not designed for offroading. I had the same thing and it was pretty flimsy when I removed it. You basically need to remove the thin one to put the thicker one on.

You know i think you're right. It's still steel but I don't see holes for the other skid plate.

strokeZ
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
I picked up the front and xfer skids local in town (got em while they were having a Jeep show and on special for $25 ea). I ordered the fuel tank plate from Savage Jeep parts. I think their address is www.jparts.com All in all it was $228 delivered to my door ($189 plus shipping).

Sal-XK
01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
I picked up the front and xfer skids local in town (got em while they were having a Jeep show and on special for $25 ea). LUCKY!!!

Thanks for the link some how with all my saved sites with XK parts I missed that one

IamJEEP
02-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Both the Belly Guard and the Front Guard 4 are fully compatible with not having the factory skids. :)

IamJEEP: I would say yes but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. On the other hand I would get the factory skids no matter what. To bad 4xGuard don't make factory skids I'm sure they would be lighter and stronger, stronger for sure.

So I won't be "fully" protected by just installing the 4XGuard skids?

El Cid
02-01-2011, 10:57 AM
We designed our armor to complement the plates that were already available for the vehicle. We wanted to fill in the gaps, if you will. So, yes, if you want "full coverage," you add ours to theirs.

The reason for this is pretty simple: We're a small company with a finite amount of resources (time and money, in other words) to devote to things that can be covered otherwise.

To look at it another way, 4xGuard was founded out of basic self-centeredness. We build the things we think we need for our vehicles, and then we'll offer the ones that work and are marketable up for sale. So rather than labor over replacement skidplates -- thanks, Sal, for thinking we could do it better if we did -- we labor over the other things that we think we need but can't otherwise get. That's why we're preparing the Rear Sliders for market at the moment, rather than another fuel tank skid or the like.

I hope that makes sense. :)

IamJEEP
02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
We designed our armor to complement the plates that were already available for the vehicle. We wanted to fill in the gaps, if you will. So, yes, if you want "full coverage," you add ours to theirs.

The reason for this is pretty simple: We're a small company with a finite amount of resources (time and money, in other words) to devote to things that can be covered otherwise.

To look at it another way, 4xGuard was founded out of basic self-centeredness. We build the things we think we need for our vehicles, and then we'll offer the ones that work and are marketable up for sale. So rather than labor over replacement skidplates -- thanks, Sal, for thinking we could do it better if we did -- we labor over the other things that we think we need but can't otherwise get. That's why we're preparing the Rear Sliders for market at the moment, rather than another fuel tank skid or the like.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Yes it does, thank you.

Sal-XK
03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I just ordered my factory skids from Jparts.com they were the cheapest I could find. I also bought new floor mats to qualify for free shipping so I actually only paid $14 for new floor mats. I wish the had a better selection of stuff to spend the extra $50 to get free shipping. They didn't have any tow straps D-Rings nothing like that. Oh well, at least now I will be fully armored for east coast camp commander!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt
03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
<------ that guy right there. Yeah... he's jealous....

IamJEEP
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Me too.....I dont know why that guy has to rub it in to our faces! Gosh!!

Sal-XK
03-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Me too.....I dont know why that guy has to rub it in to our faces! Gosh!!

LMAO thats funny, I'm just excited to finally have all my private parts (LOL) protected for a change. The stress of making a mistake and costing thousands was brutal over analyzing every line I took. The good news is all three skids plus front and rear slush mats was only $364 and the 4xguard front skid and belly guard was cant remember something like $460 I think so for $800 and change all the parts underneath are protected for less than the cost of a TC.

Matt
03-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Dude I had this stuff on my "must have" list since i first got my Commander!

1) Front Guard: $230 From 4xguard (http://www.4xguard.com/Product/FrontGuard.html)
2) Belly Guard: $170 From 4xguard (http://www.4xguard.com/Product/BellyGuard.html)
3) T-Case Skid Plate: $47 From jparts (http://jparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1495&osCsid=k72e72f9imdog1ve60snt391h0)
4) Front Susp Skid Plate: $47 From jparts (http://jparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1494&osCsid=k72e72f9imdog1ve60snt391h0)
5) Fuel Tank Skid Plate : $180 From jparts (http://jparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=162&products_id=1496&osCsid=k72e72f9imdog1ve60snt391h0)

Just......need.....money (which is going to take a few years with kids in daycare)

Sal-XK
03-15-2011, 06:09 PM
I hear ya bro kids are expensive when there tiny LOL little buggers.

strokeZ
03-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Trust me they get twice as expensive when they get older!!!

Matt
03-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Starting next fall daycare is going to be 1200/month...

When they get out of daycare, I'm going to feel rich! !!!

Hell.... one daycare payment right now almost covers the cost for an entire skid plate package. Next year, one daycare payment just about covers the cost of a lift kit...... wow....

Sal-XK
03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Trust me they get twice as expensive when they get older!!!

Mine got less expensive now that there in shcool plus now my wife works so thats extra income because she really didn't work until they got in school. I'm sure it will get expensvie again when college rolls around.

Matt
03-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Sorry didn't mean to derail this thread. My wife and I are relatively young and at the "early" stages of our careers. So I'm hoping that as the kids start public school our salaries will also be on the rise and the vehicles will be paid off.... which should equate to plenty of savings (for college and retirement ) and free up some money for mods. :) (I'm pretty savvy with financial planning so I have a pretty good plan setup).

In the mean time, Ill have to live through you guys!

Hey sal... maybe add that skid plate list I put together to your xk-mods thread? Or is it already there?

Sal-XK
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
I already have a mod list in my garage in a spread sheet. I need to update it though it works pretty good and it totals the amounts for me one for what I projected and one for what it actually costs.

Matt
03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I actually meant your xk-forum parts links thread. Thought it would be a good idea to have all of the skid plates bundled together under one heading

Sal-XK
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
I actually meant your xk-forum parts links thread. Thought it would be a good idea to have all of the skid plates bundled together under one heading

ahhhhhh ok, I've only slept about 5hrs since Sunday night so the brain is a little slow.

Sal-XK
03-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Good idea bro its done

Sal-XK
03-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Hey strokeZ, How long did those guys take to ship your order? It's 4 days now and there still processing my order?:confused: I hope the 5 to 7 days they told be wasn't processing time.:mad: I hope there here by next weekend, my buddy is coming over and were having a wrenching weekend. :rolleyes: He got a winch and some more body armor so having the help for the fuel tank skid would be nice.

Matt
03-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Do any of your friends have a motorcycle/atv jack? They come in really handy for doing gas tanks in driveways.

I have one like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00950190000P

Comes in very handy for a lot of household chores. For example, I have my washing machine on a 5" stand (just enough clearance for the jack)... I had an issue with roots in my sewer line and the access to my cleanout was behind the washing machine. So i built the wood stand and used the motorcycle jack to easily move the washing machine when i wanted to send down the rooter. I've used it to drop gas tanks and even hold trans pans in place as i un-bolt them so i dont have to "balance" them with 1 hand while im taking that last bolt out. Well worth the $100.

Sal-XK
03-19-2011, 08:53 AM
no none of us have one of those I'm the jealous one now LOL. I just have my floor jack and will have to add some wood to it to make the foot print bigger I guess. $100 for anything after all the money I spent might be the tipping point for the wife LMAO!! I have to slow my spending down with 12x16 shed to build and finishing my upstairs plus the trips I'm about done I think. Although I have said that before LOL

Matt
03-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Look at it as an investment. If you don't have that floor jack directly under the center of mass (or if there's some gas in there that shifts and changes the center of mass of the tank) then you'll probably do $100 in damage to the lines if/when it tilts/falls. The wider base of the ATV jack prevents that from happening *wink wink*

Split it with your buddy... $50/each, not bad at all...

Sal-XK
03-19-2011, 10:07 AM
True and the wife just loves when I call things an investment LOL.

IamJEEP
03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Update?

Sal-XK
03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm on the waiting list for the fuel tank skid. I spent Saturday installing a winch on my buddies JK so I didn't get around to putting the suspension skid on yet either. Now I've been side tracked I'm going today to look at a 24v 15,000 LBS waren winch from I guy I know. Yes 24v and I just happen to have a second battery sitting under the hood what are the odds. The price is a shocker ($200) so I'm expecting it not to be working or something wrong with it. It's a little big for a XK but bigger is better right.