PDA

View Full Version : Any Black Rifle Fans out there?

superacerc
01-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Haven't seen any gun activity on the forum lately. Anyone a fan of the infamous "Black Guns"? I picked this up for christmas:
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/IMG_2725-1.jpg

Here's one of my Remington 700 SPS Tactical(.308) with the 15:
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/IMG_2724-1.jpg

She's completely bare right now but I'll do some changes eventually to get it the way I want. I prefer the iron sights to scoping it though so I'll probably leave it with irons only. I have a red dot and a 4x40 if I want to use it for any hunting or tactical use.

See if you guys can guess what the AR 15 cost me? Post your guess and I'll tell you if you're too high or low.

LWM
01-08-2011, 11:41 PM
I will have to get my toys out and take a picture or two over the next few days.

My guess is that the AR cost you around $800 but I could not see a maker stamp on it.

superacerc
01-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Too high.

NeilSmith
01-09-2011, 08:29 AM
I am a " black rifle " fan, although mine isn't black anymore. :)
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/010-1.jpg

superacerc
01-09-2011, 09:03 PM
What did you use to color your rifle neil? Looks pretty nice. I am just planning on switchinng a few parts out to modify the color. I like alot of the magpul accessories and the color choices they have available.

NeilSmith
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I just used plain ol' spraypaint from Tractor Supply. They have the camo colors. I did spray on an etch primer first for a little better adhesion. I know it will get scratched up and burned off alittle but that just gives it character. Its easy to touch up also. I wouldnt do this to an expensive or old rifle. I only have a grand in both.

brendon
01-12-2011, 08:00 PM
What make is your AR? I'm gonna guess $600.

BTW, the Magpul PMags are great!

superacerc
01-13-2011, 06:39 AM
600? Too High. I guess that's close enough though.

I ordered this one from two different companies. The upper is a Del-ton rifle kit 16" flat top mid length gas tube model ($465). The lower is Aim suprlus lower stripped model ($59). Not too shabby for $525. Everything comes with the upper including the trigger assembly and the lower is only the lower body completely empty.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SASL&groupid=53
https://www.del-ton.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RKT104

althought the rifle comes with the trigger guard i've already put the magpul modified trigger guard so I can use gloves with the rifle, and a magpul hand guard. I'll probably get the pro mags next alog with the angled fore grip from magpul. I'm going to two tone the rifle with the magpul foilage green accessories and keep the black center. Hopefully it turns out all right.

LWM
01-13-2011, 07:19 AM
I have a nice Bushmaster AR but am considering building another with an even shorter barrel.

Sal-XK
01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
I like the ACOG with the flip up CQB sight. You get the best of both worlds, you can reach out easily to 400 meters then flip up the CQB sight an easily acquire targets from 0 to 100 meters. Throw on a gangster grip like Neil has (which by the way is in the wrong position brother) and you should be set. I've had the switch for the light mounted to both the gangster grip and the magazine well. Well the one on the grip was more convenient it did risk accidental discharge of the light.

superacerc
01-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Just took mine out for the first time today. Shoot's pretty well. When I sighted it in i used a laser bore sighter and did it at much too close of range. Maybe 20 feet. It was shooting a bit high. easily corrected though. I first shot some seller belliot brass through and had no issues whatsoever. I then switched to some steel case Tul Ammo(polymer coated) from Wally world to see how it would handle it. At first it was having some issues feeding the ammo. After about 5 failure to feeds almost in a row it cleaned out whatever was ailing it and fed just fine. I'm going to experiment with it a bit more before deciding if i like that ammo. I'm wanting to try some sliver bear and golden bear to see how well they perform in the ar as well. I had to leave the range earlier than i wanted b/c i was with a friend and his wife and the wife had to go pick up their daughter.

I also tried out some new handloads for my .308 (in the pic). They seemed to be right on the money. I was using federal brass, 42.5gr varget, and sierra match king 168gr HPBT. With sandbags i can keep it around .5moa at 100 yds. My buddy shot it and I told him not to get up too close to the scope. Guess he didn't quite remember that on the 2nd shot and left with a bloody swollen nose his wife was laughing and told him it made him look tougher and a bit like rocky.

Also had my Ruger MKIII w/ red dot which is my favorite to shoot(kinda cheeting with the Red dot). I get so used to having both eyes open I start to shoot my iron sighted pistols with both open and it throws off my aim.
And last but not least my Ruger P95. I also tried some Tul Ammo in this gun and it seemed to have no issues whatsoever. never fed wrong at all even when mixing it with some winchester brass rounds.

I took a .380 keltec and a .22 mag Revolver but the range my buddy chose charged by the gun!!! 9 dollars a rifle and 10 dollars a pistol! What a ripoff. I decided not to check these two in as they aren't quite as fun to shoot as the others and wasn't worth shooting two or three magazines worth for 10 bucks each.

NeilSmith
01-16-2011, 09:12 AM
" Gangsta Grip " ? Damn dude ! Seriously, I had it out further but it just feels better there. As for the ACOG, I'd like to get one. You may not like it so much when the .mil isn't paying for it !! Lol !!

Sal-XK
01-16-2011, 09:22 AM
" Gangsta Grip " ? Damn dude ! Seriously, I had it out further but it just feels better there. As for the ACOG, I'd like to get one. You may not like it so much when the .mil isn't paying for it !! Lol !!

Gangster grip is seriously what we call it here there was no meaning behind it. I know it feels better closer to the mag well but the further you can get it out the more stable you are. I always had my light mounted on the side so the grip can be put out as far as possible which is one of the many things I learned from the dudes that don't really exist.

NeilSmith
01-16-2011, 11:10 AM
dudes that don't really exist.

They wouldn't be flying around in blacked out choppers and driving bad-ass sand buggies would they ? My buddies brother in law always called it a " tango down ". For the longest time we didnt know what he was talking about. We still jokingly refer to it as a tango down. LOL ! ( I may experiment with some re-configuring )

Sal-XK
01-16-2011, 12:24 PM
spent a couple of deployments on those choppers (SOAR) crazy pilots.

NeilSmith
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I think that would be a cool ride at night, as long as I had some NVGs. I couldnt stand just sitting there in the dark.

Sal-XK
01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I think that would be a cool ride at night, as long as I had some NVGs. I couldnt stand just sitting there in the dark.

I'm usually getting a nap in before they drop me off LOL

GPintheMitten
01-19-2011, 07:09 AM
Good thread, guys. I want an AR-15 but haven't got the money around yet. How does he quality of fit etc seem on the Del-ton? I missed a recent sale of M&P 15's for about $550. I"m hoping that comes around again someday when I actually have the bucks to spare.

Also, there are so many options for building your own, it's hard to tell what to get.

superacerc
01-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I had no problems whatsoever with mine. It shoots great and gets great reviews. It seems that customers of the company are always repeat customers. You can customize the deltons as you order it so it comes with what you want (what you can afford in my case).

The_War_Wagon
11-12-2011, 07:54 AM
I've got a few... http://www.theultimatejeep.com/images/icons/icon6.png

BCM 16" standard profile 1: 7 bbl - Aimpoint Pro/ADM68 Co-witness mount - Troy rail & BUIS - Magpul furniture - Surefire E1B light - Gearsector light mount & sling

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Addax custom built 14.5" 1: 7 bbl (p/w Phantom comp to make the overall length 16.1") - DD Lite 12.0 rail - Troy BUIS - Magpul furniture - Aimpoint T-1 in ADM Co-witness mount - Insight Proxima HX120 light (strobe) w/Viltor offset mount - TacticalLink Z360 mount & single point sling

My most recent acquisition!

The LAST rifle ever built by Kevin Johnson, of Johnson Tactical, LLC here in Pittsburgh (he moved to Seattle at the end of August and got out of the rifle building business) - my 18.5" SPR. Specs include:

• Comes standard with a 1/8 twist, 18", Medium Profile 416SS barrel. Available with a number of other barrel options (See Below)

• Full Auto Carrier, High Pressure Tested and Magnetic Particle Inspected Bolt properly staked and lapped flat carrier key. Chrome lined Young National Match carriers available!

• Barrel chambered with matched bolt

• Standard with Troy Extreme 13" Rail. (Mine utilies the 15" Troy tube!)

• Available in Rifle or Intermediate, or Mid gas lengths

• 11 degree target crown

• Low profile gas block

• A2 Flash Suppressor (PWS FSC556 in my case)

• Polished M4 feed ramps

• Mil-Spec Forged 7075 T6 upper receiver with T-markings, forward assist, hinged dust cover, and M4 feed ramps.

1. These uppers feature my Limited Life Time Warranty.

2. High Pressure Testing followed by Magnetic Particle Inspection assures a rock solid bolt.

3. 223 Wylde chamber increases accuracy and works with 5.56 NATO or .223 SAMMI spec ammunition.

4. Every upper is built by one person from start to finish.

5. I guarantee that every SPR Upper will hold sub-MOA groups and prove that by sending you a picture of the test!

6. I custom fit the rail/upper, chamber/bolt, gas block/barrel, and comp/flash hider interfaces to insure a highly accurate build.

7. We align our barrel blanks to 2/10000 of an inch bore alignment before threading or chambering!

8. These are uppers are built for pushing the 5.56 to ranges unheard of before. I use the Gritters or Two Line method to chamber my SPR barrels. It adds UP MOA to the shot allowing you more elevation at distance.

Quality Assurance

Every single upper that Johnson Tactical produces is fully tested before delivery to the customer. We feel your paying for quality and our job is to insure that is what you are getting! We start by manually inspecting every part, then as the build progresses it’s fit with the other components. Some parts are hand fitted to ensure tighter tolerances. A good example of this is the gas block to barrel fit. This needs to be precise to eliminate gas leaks

I also went with his custom nitrided barrel, which includes;

-Only available with a .223 Wylde chamber currently.

-Includes a Headspaced, HPT/MP bolt with extractor upgrades

-Carbine, Mid, Intermeidate, or Rifle length gas systems with a .750 gas block seat that is 2" in length

-Single set screw seat indexed to the gas port

-Barrel lengths in 12.5, 14.5, 16, 17, 18.5, 20, or 24 inch

-18.5" lengths and longer are chambered using the two line method and timed up

-Available in a 1/7 or 1/8 twist rate (traditional rifling)

-My base profile is a modified medium contour.

-Comes standard with a 11 degree crown

-Threaded 1/2-28 at the muzzle

As for the pics;

Other mods include - Geissele SSA-E trigger - TroY TRX 15" Extreme tube - PWS FSC556 brake - Harris bipod - Young National Match BCG - Leupold Mark AR scope in a LaRue SPR-E LT139 mount - Magpul ACS stock - Ergo ambi-grip - Optima 2000 microdot in DD offset mount - Troy BUIS.

I put Vltor/BCM Gunfighter Mod4 (medium) chargers on all my AR's - I'm something of a Magpul fanboy, too. :p

I don't cut corners on my training rifle, either. Tactical Solutions .22LR upper on a Precision-Aero lower with ARF-X stock - DD Omega 12.0 FSP rails - Aimpoint Comp M (1st generation) in a QRP co-witness mount - PentagonLight in a Viltor CK mount - Magpul AFG - Ergo amb-grip - TacticalLink 2pt. sling - Black Dog Machine mag

Yeah... you could say I dabble in black rifles...

p.s. - my NEXT "black" rifle, will be FDE. :-p

superacerc
11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Beautiful rifles.

The_War_Wagon
11-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm hoping Jeeps turn out to be cheaper! :eek:

ped4599
11-21-2011, 03:25 PM
I too these same types of 'black rifles'....an AR15 and a Rem PSS .308...etc

I have a question for anyone who has time to take a few photos for me. If possible post a photo of the your AR's lower receiver with an empty mag inserted. I am looking at the bolt catch in relation to the mag follower. I recently went to switch all my mag over to PMAG and have had troubles. I have a bushmaster lower receiver and the bolt catch standard finger seems to just a bit short for the Pmag since they are different spec and have smaller followers. I searched many gun forums and found this has been an issue with some brand of ARs. I saw that the fix was often changing over to COLT parts. So i did. I get the whole bolt catch assembly from Brownells and got supposedly COLT brand parts. It did help, but I still have issues with a couple of my Pmags. I cant really just blame those few pmags and chalk it up to a "few bad mags in the bunch" since those same mag will work in my peers' ARs of a different brand (S/W). Those with the Smith set up only run Pmags, and have done so over and over with out fail. I guess there is just enough of a spec difference i guess. For now I am staying with all my standard mag til I find solution and can prove that i can trust the other set up.

Just wondering if anyone here happens to have run across this issue. I DPMS was the other brand that was having issues with Pmags.

The_War_Wagon
11-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Well... if you've read enough forums (and of those that are out there, I'D read M4C and call it a day. I'm a mod at another forum, and I go to M4C when I need the STRAIGHT dope!), you KNOW that BM and DPMS both have their share of "issues." An out-of-spec lower is not beyond the realm of possibility, and switching over to Colt boltcatches still might not make your pinholes line up correctly, for instance.

I had a factory new Gen.III POF lower, that STILL had problems with early PMags sticking, and even Rev. 'M' mags wouldn't drop free, so poorly spec'd lowers are NOT limited to your cheaper brands. On the other hand, my BCM lowers eat EVERYTHING, which is probably why I have them in three of my four 5.56 rifles at the moment.

I don't have any mag-in-lower pics at the moment (I'll see if I can't snap one soon, of my STS Arms lower with a mag - I'm waiting on a custom upper still to arrive for it), but it might be worth having a competent 'smitty look at your lower, and see if its the mag, or the lower. Bolt catchs are the ultimate PITA when it comes to DIY - I'd never feel bad about spending money to have one installed RIGHT!

superacerc
11-22-2011, 04:36 AM
I ve got an aim surplus lower (read; extra cheap) and have no issues with the p mags.

Sal-XK
11-22-2011, 05:39 AM
When ever we have a mag stick or double feed or anything happens just once we break it and throw it out.

The_War_Wagon
11-22-2011, 06:32 AM
When ever we have a mag stick or double feed or anything happens just once we break it and throw it out.

The mag? Or the lower? :p

And besides, that's what the "for sale" section of gunboards are for! :D

Sal-XK
11-22-2011, 04:29 PM
The mag? Or the lower? :p

And besides, that's what the "for sale" section of gunboards are for! :D

Either one :p We send back anything that don't work we can't afford to have any issues at all. I remember once our budget was low and my lazer was on the fritz I put a screw driver threw it and dead lined it and got a new one LOL

NeilSmith
11-22-2011, 06:42 PM
My AR is an older Oly Arms upper and lower and I have no problems with the Pmags sorry no pics, too busy drinking right now to fool w/ a rifle. LOL !! Sal you guys cant afford any feed issues at all Bro! Make sure your guys are safe please.

ped4599
11-29-2011, 10:37 AM
thanks for your reply.
I replaced the bolt catch with all colt parts. it helped but did not fix the problem. I do believe the lower is probably out of spec a bit. I have a second rifle that has the same identical lower unit that I gave to my brother. I was able to look at it over the holiday we i was back and it seemed to be working fine all the way around. BUT its like new. I don't think it has had much use, where as i carry mine on duty everyday, and have range qual/training 4-5 times a year, so it has been used. I think I will have the lower fixed or just get new one. I can not afford to have any doubts as to how it will perform.

superacerc
11-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Well this one works fine for me: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SASL&name=Surplus+Arms+%26+Ammo+LOW15+Stripped+AR+Lower +Receiver&groupid=11

It's only $59 and must be shipped to a local dealer. It's nothing fancy so if you're into that kinda thing it might not be what you want.

On another note: I got a 22lr conversion kit today. Can't wait to try it out (neither can my wallet). Also got the Magpul MBUS rear site. Like it so far. Need to do some sighting in (although it should be close cause I bore sighted it already).

The_War_Wagon
11-29-2011, 05:56 PM
I think I will have the lower fixed or just get new one. I can not afford to have any doubts as to how it will perform.

If you've got a few EXTRA bucks burning a hole in your pocket, may I be so bold as to suggest... http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM

Of late, I have ordered them with the trigger of my choice (Geissele :cool:), but otherwise stripped. I can usually swing deals on gently used stocks, grips, and even trigger guards on gunboards, and save money over retail new. I've been dealing with Grant for 4 years now, and I've never got a bad lower from him; even when I ordered a BCM 'scratch 'n' dent' special (cosmetic blemish/factory second), it runs as well as my factory new BCM lowers!

I'm running his lowers on 3 of my 4 rifles, with nary a burp in all these years! http://www.theultimatejeep.com/images/icons/icon6.png

Lt_JWS
01-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Started its life as a Saiga AK "sporting" rifle, no pistol grip, trigger moved about 2" to the rear, I like it and its fun to shoot ;) .223 BTW
Parts:
Tapco G2
Tapco folding stock
Tapco SAW grip
ProMag poly 30rd
Saiga steel 30rd
Tromix charging handle
carolinashootersupply.com bullet guide
brownells aluma-hyde II

The_War_Wagon
03-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Just realized my OLD lineup, in front of my cabinet, was waaaaaaay out of date. So here's a spankin' new pic of MY black rifles - including one that ain't! :p

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/03/100_8368-1.jpg

The ubiquitous Listerine bottle, makes yet ANOTHER appearance! :D

I gotta make one of those "gun locker" threads, eventually!

pjmjr508
03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Great Setup

superacerc
03-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Very nice!

IamJEEP
03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Very nice everyone!

I'm actually researching so I can build my first AR. So, any advice is welcomed. It will be mostly for HD and when/if SHTF. So far I know I want a 5.56 flat top upper with a 1x7 twist, preferably chrome lined. No quad rail gaurd but, a modular unit to place pic rails where I feel necessary. Iron sites with option to mount optics and standard collapsable stock. Brand names are not a "must" but quality is. Also, this will be a budget build. So, if you guys have spare parts that fall into the previouse categories....please let me know.

Any input or advice/suggestions? Please be cival as I am a total newb to this platform, thanks.

The_War_Wagon
03-20-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm actually researching so I can build my first AR. So, any advice is welcomed. It will be mostly for HD and when/if SHTF. So far I know I want a 5.56 flat top upper with a 1x7 twist, preferably chrome lined. No quad rail gaurd but, a modular unit to place pic rails where I feel necessary. Iron sites with option to mount optics and standard collapsable stock. Brand names are not a "must" but quality is. Also, this will be a budget build. So, if you guys have spare parts that fall into the previouse categories....please let me know.

Any input or advice/suggestions? Please be cival as I am a total newb to this platform, thanks.

How FAMILIAR are you with AR15's? Will this be your first AR EVER? If so, I'm gonna recommend buying a COMPLETE rifle (Colt 6920) FIRST - especially a good one, like the Colt - so you can see how it's made, how it works, get used to field stripping & cleaning it, and how it handles with a variety of ammo.

I'd owned AR's for 18 years, and shot tens of THOUSANDS of rounds through them - before I started tackling the building process. They're not complicated, but they aren't idiot-proof, either, and building something that's got to contain CONTROLLED EXPLOSIONS, is NOT something you want to approach lightly & half-ass!

Tell us your firearms background, and lets see what we have to build on. :o

IamJEEP
03-20-2012, 08:44 PM
How FAMILIAR are you with AR15's? Will this be your first AR EVER? If so, I'm gonna recommend buying a COMPLETE rifle (Colt 6920) FIRST - especially a good one, like the Colt - so you can see how it's made, how it works, get used to field stripping & cleaning it, and how it handles with a variety of ammo.
I'd owned AR's for 18 years, and shot tens of THOUSANDS of rounds through them - before I started tackling the building process. They're not complicated, but they aren't idiot-proof, either, and building something that's got to contain CONTROLLED EXPLOSIONS, is NOT something you want to approach lightly & half-ass!

Tell us your firearms background, and lets see what we have to build on. :o

Well, I just recently (1-1.5 years) have gotten into the firearms world. I have always been intriuged by them, but not sure why it took me this long to start buying/shooting. So, to answer your question........not much experience. But, I'm a fast learner and learn quicker by hands on experience. I'm not affraid to field strip anything just to see how its put together and how it operates.

As far as ARs go..........zilch, nada, zero, nill, ect....experience. But, the action on my 10/22 has way more parts yhan the AR.

I'm not opposed to buying a complete rifle, but would find it more appealing if I built it myself.