PDA

View Full Version : Front XK Tow Hooks

2010XK
01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Has anybody installed a set of front tow hooks on their XK? I see you can buy 100 dollar OEM Mopar ones....Would a set of 10 dollar ones work from the location parts place? Could someone take a pic of their OEM ones so I could compare to the Pronto ones? Don't want to sound cheap, but $10 sounds better then 100 bones to me anyday! Thanks in advance!

LWM
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
I ended up taking mine off when I installed my new front bumper so I cannot take pictures but I know others have installed the cheaper ones but I can tell you that the OEM ones mount with three bolts and the aftermarket will not be as sturdy as they do not connect the same way. I could be wrong but I think Cico7 installed aftermarket hooks.

strokeZ
01-24-2011, 03:02 PM
From a hook perspective they are practically the same....some aftermarket hooks will be in with the open end down as opposed to up on the OEM. I don't think that really matters (D-rings would be optimal). What does matter is that you will have to be creative just a bit on finding mount points for the aftermarket and may have to cut into the front bumper. OEM are essentially plug and play. Its not terribly difficult either way.

my4thjeep
01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
i actually had a rear tow hook from my tj i found. it bolted right in. i have it on the driver side. haven't had to try it out yet but looks like it'll get the job done? all i needed to do was to take the front bumper fascia off and cut a little piece off so that the facia would sit flush with the hook.

wookie
01-24-2011, 07:51 PM
The factory tow hooks are pretty heavy duty compared to some of the after market ones and installation is simple as there is no drilling or modifications required. They are bolted to the front frame through an access plate behind the bumper. They fit nicely and the bumper/ tow hook clearance keeps tow straps in place if readjusting the vehicle for a different angle pull. I pondered the cheap ones and once I saw the Mopar ones in person I bought them. I will post a picture when I have a chance tomorrow (too dark right now). I personally recommend the Mopar ones unless you can get something made up that allows a D-ring.

superacerc
01-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I did the cheap ones. just look at my garage to get a pic of what they look like. you can tell I cut my bumper and i did it in a hurry as the mosquitos were killing me. I have yet to go under to make it prettier but have never really noticed it. The only pulling i've done with mine so far is letting my boy scouts pull my jeep around the parking lot in a man vs machine tug o war (just in neutral).

Sal-XK
01-25-2011, 05:08 AM
I have the cheap ones sitting in the garage. I plan on using them and bolting them up with grade 8 bolts. If you look up the specs for these bolts there is no way I could break them (150k lbs per square inch)the frame were there attached would fail first.

superacerc
01-25-2011, 06:45 AM
^x2. The frame is going to be the fail point far quicker than the tow hooks. I did have to drill my own holes behind the first hole. Over all including bumper removal it took me 35-45 minutes.

2010XK
01-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks for all the great info and advice! Looking forward to pics from wookie...Just want to see the layout of the bolt holes...I like what people are saying...there is much to be said about OEM, lots of R&D goes into those things, prolly more then a $10 set of "fits most vehicles" tow hooks. I do like the idea of a set of D-rings...Maybe that’s what I will try....Anyway, need for it to warm up a bit before I try anything in my garage! Thanks again and will update as my decision is made and the install starts!

wookie
01-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Here are some pics of the Mopar Tow Hooks.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/SDC11472-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/SDC11473-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/SDC11479-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/SDC11476-1.jpg

The tow hooks are bolted to a mount that in turn is sandwiched to the frame with the stud mount plate. Another plus is if your ever decide to go with the Matrix 4XGuard it bolts up to the factory tow hook stud plate.

Sal-XK
01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
How much was the stud plate

wookie
01-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Whole setup was around $120 (Canadian) with military discount. Not sure if you can buy the stud plate separately. I figure it was worth the investment. Mopar rates them at 1.5 Gross vehicle weight.

2010XK
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
So I found a website that offers a set of D-rings instead of the factory Jeep hooks. The saguaro 4x components website has either a 5/8” set or a 3/4” set. For around the same price as OEM hooks ($120ish) why not get the D-rings???

Even found a picture of them on a WK…Link here (http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524559)!

What would you folks recommend!?!

Sal-XK
01-26-2011, 11:34 AM
If they fit the XK I would get the D ring

LWM
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
If they fit the XK I would get the D ring

strokeZ
01-26-2011, 12:56 PM

IamJEEP
01-26-2011, 01:05 PM

superacerc
01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
X ∞

El Cid
01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Saguaro makes good stuff. Very solid.

I will note that 4xGuard is bringing back our Matrix Basic, which is just the shackle mounts (like the Saguaro). I don't know the price or release date yet, but I can tell you that one advantage to our setup is that you'll be able to add an optional front receiver to it, and if you ever wanted to go to the fuller Matrix you won't have wasted money.

Not meaning to take anything away from Saguaro, though. They're good folks with good products. Just want you to know all options.

wookie
01-27-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm jealous, that D-ring setup is really nice looking. El Cid do you have any pics of what a Matrix Basic set-up would look like. I really want the Matrix but if I can slowly build it in stages the wallet will take less of a hit.

El Cid
01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
All I have are some digital designs at this point, but it's essentially just the Matrix Mounting Platform without the upright portions.

Here's what it essentially looks like:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/Matrix20Basic-1.jpg

Sal-XK
01-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Ok now your talking my language. Whats the cost on this? I don't remember seeing that option on the site. Oh and hurry the wife is looking a furniture as we speak :eek:

2010XK
01-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Ok, since I started this thread do I get to install and try out the first pair created by 4XGuard?!?! :) I really like the D-ring idea alot better then the OEM Mopar hooks...Now I just need to see the 4X onces so I can make a decision on which brand to go with! Keep me informed on the progress, because I would luv to get started on this mod!

El Cid
01-28-2011, 03:20 PM
@Sal: As I said above, we don't know price yet. Expect it to be competitive, for what that's worth. Also, it's probably 2 months out at this point. (We have a looooong manufacturing queue.) It's not on our website for those same reasons. We formerly offered something similar (the shackle mount pieces were slightly different in design), but that was ... gosh, 2 years ago?

@2010XK: We hope we can help you when the time comes, for sure! We really do view this as an "entry point" to the Matrix. You get the Basic, and then later step-up to the bigger stuff.

Sal-XK
01-28-2011, 07:10 PM
@Sal: As I said above, we don't know price yet.

Sorry bro I missed that I must of got to excited LOL. The time period don't bother me there so many parts to get from you guys it will take a long time to get them all and if you keep coming up with new stuff I may never be done.

wookie
01-31-2011, 08:04 AM
That setup looks nice and the front receiver would be the way to go. I'll just have to find somewhere else for the tow hooks to go. Thanks for the pics.

Sal-XK
01-31-2011, 12:46 PM
I will move my tow hooks to the back when we can get this system and having the receiver is a big bonus.