PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Camp Commander 2011 / July 24 - 29 / Buena Vista Colorado (Pre-Event)

LWM
01-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Welcome to the Official WC Camp Commander 2010 Thread. This thread will contain all the information you need for attending this event.

This year WC Camp Commander 2011 is proudly sponsored by XK-Forum.com and will run from July 25th to July 28th in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. The base camp will be set up at the Buena Vista KOA in Buena Vista, Colorado. Information on lodging can be found in the following posts.

Please only vote in the attached poll once you have made your reservation and know what dates you plan to attend. we will then try to plan the most popular events around the majority attendance but everyday will be a good day to run these beautiful trails. If your plans change do not worry about it the poll is not a firm commitment. THIS IS A PUBLIC POLL SO YOUR SELECTIONS CAN BE SEEN BY OTHERS!

The poll includes registration for the day before and the day after the main event for those like myself who are able to come in early in order to enjoy all the trails and events planned for the event.

LWM
01-29-2011, 10:28 AM
This Year we will be staying at the Buena Vista KOA (Kampgrounds of America) in Buena Vista Colorado. When you call to make your reservations make sure to them them you want to be with the "Camp Commander Group"

I have requested that they attempt to place us in sites close to each other, you can request anything you want when you call to make your actual reservation.

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

The view from your campsite at this KOA is buena indeed- a panorama of five 14,000-foot-plus peaks frames this mountain valley. Tucked among rocks and shaded by pinon pines, the campground is a few miles southeast of the small resort town of Buena Vista and a mile from the Arkansas River. Hike or bike on public land adjacent on three sides of the KOA, then sign up at the campground office for fly-fishing and horseback riding. Your hosts can arrange for a wide variety of other pursuits-such as rafting and jeeping and soaking in hot springs-or direct you to hiking trails, ghost towns and rock hounding sites. At KOA, play sand volleyball, basketball and horseshoes, then head for the hot tub. Breakfast is served summer mornings in the cook shack. Enjoy this quiet and tranquil setting

Click here to be re-directed to their site that will provide all the information you need! (http://www.buenavistakoa.com/index.html)

Buena Vista KOA
27700 County Road 303
Buena Vista, CO 81211
(800) 562-2672

Tommy at the KOA sent me the following message
P1-P6 are water/electric sites and are for RVs. B7-B10 are water/electric back-in and are great for pop-ups. Often a group will take those if they have pop-ups, and then use P6-P5-P4 for the trailers.

The closest full hookup will be across the playground as in P68. Since P6 is on the end, it is a great gathering place, and faces out to the back-ins.

Also if anyone has a tent, T-11--T13 is close by.

IF cabins are desired, cabin 5, 4, & 8 are one-room; and cabin 6 & 7 are two-room cabins; and are fairly close.

Bathrooms and showers are located on the west side of the A-frame building.

I have reserved B-10 in the back-in section of the park for a pop-up trailer at a rate of $35.40 per night ($189.03 for the week).

Tommy has told me that if you make your reservation before the month ends he will give you the 2010 rates. I do not know what the increase would be for the 2011 rates but an early reservation might save you a few dollars.

Best thing to do is to phone, to set your reservations. A deposit in the amount of the first night stay is required on either a Visa or MasterCard. If you place your reservation in the month of January, we will be giving the 2010 rates.

Sarah and Tommy

LWM
01-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Knappster - B10 - Arrival July 24 / Departure July 29
Rocky Mountain Canary - ? - Arrival July 24 / Departure July 29
StrokeZ - Cabin 4 - Arrival July 24 / Departure July 29
WanderingTs - N/A - Arrival July 24 / Departure July 29 - CANCELED
Tymac - ? - Arrival July 24 / Departure July 28
pjmjr508 - Cabin 8 - Arrival July 24 / Departure July 29 - CANCELED
HueyPilotVN - N/A - Arrival July 24 / Departure July 29 - Pending
brendon - ? - Arrival July 25 / Departure July 28
TrialByFire - T21 - Arrival July 24 / Departure July 29
Ped4599 - Off Site - Arrival July 24 / Departure July 29
NoMatter - Kabin -

(I will update this post as members provide information to me)

LWM
01-29-2011, 10:52 AM
PROPOSED Daily Schedule: Revised 01/28/2011

July 24 (Sunday): Early Arrivals and Set up (no planned trail rides)

July 25 (Monday) / AM Run: Fourmile Area / This trail is rated "Easy" but is a good starter trail. It is approximately 25 miles in length and should take an estimated 3 to 4 hours.

July 25 (Monday) / PM Run: This afternoon run will be on one of the more difficult trails in the area.

July 26 (Tuesday): Tincup Pass, St. Elmo / This is a "Moderate" rated trail. It is approximately 13 miles in length and should take about 2 hours one way. St. Elmo is one of the most popular ghost towns in Colorado.

July 26 (Tuesday) / Social Event: As in previous years I would like to plan a awards dinner for this evening at a local dinning establishment.

July 27 (Wednesday) / AM Run: Hancock Pass, Alpine Tunnel / This trail is rated "moderate" and is approximately 12 miles and should be another half day run.

July 27 (Wednesday) / PM Run: This afternoon run will be a "difficult" run for those who want to see what your Commander can do without breaking anything

July 28 (Thursday) : Mosquito Pass / this too is a "moderate" rated trail, it is the highest pass road in Colorado open to travel. Total distance is 13.6 miles and should take 2 to 3 hours one way plus travel time to this trail which is the farthest from base-camp.

July 29 (Friday) : Departure (no planned trail rides)

LWM
01-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Door Prizes & Giveaways: Updated: 01/28/11

last year we had some really great prizes and everyone who attended left with something, If you have a product you would like to contribute this year please let me know and we will add it to the list in this post.

1) Discount Tire Goodie Bag including $50 (tire) / $100 (wheel & Tire) Discount from Discount Tire and many other cool items (Every Participant at WC Camp Commander will receive one of these)
2) XK-Forum.com window decal from XK-Forum.com
3) Superchips prize package (Tee-shirt, hat, sticker & cozie) from Superchips
4)
5)

LWM
01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Today is the last day to lock in 2010 rates on your site reservation!

strokeZ
01-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Just booked for the week. Should be fun.

LWM
01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Just booked for the week. Should be fun.

Did you get your site Number?

Sal-XK
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
I really wanted to go but don't think I can make it. Putting around $1500 in armor on the XK before spring plus all the weekend trips I take wheeling this one will be to much considering I would need about $1,000 in gas just to get their and back. But who knows the sun shines on a dogs a** once in a while too.

strokeZ
01-31-2011, 01:11 PM
No site number becuase I reserved a 1 room Kabin. One or perhaps both of my daughters will be joining me and I think that is as rough as they can handle it. Too bad they don't take Hilton or Marriott points hehe....I could stay for free!

LWM
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
No site number becuase I reserved a 1 room Kabin. One or perhaps both of my daughters will be joining me and I think that is as rough as they can handle it. Too bad they don't take Hilton or Marriott points hehe....I could stay for free!

Okay, they do have cabin numbers but it is no biggie, hopefully it is #8. (4 and 5 are close too) 6 & 7 are two room units.

LWM
01-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Thought I would throw out a little more information about the Cabins for those who are considering that option as well:

CABINS
1 Room Cabin Sleeps 4
1 Double Bed & 2 Single Bunk Beds
Electric Lights
Electric Heat is Available
Bring Your Own Bedding
Hot Showers and Restrooms in Main Building
No Cooking Inside Cabins

LWM
01-31-2011, 01:30 PM
There are many other activities in the area to help keep you busy, this year I will have to pass on many of them but I am sure I will make it back in fatter times to try my hand at some of the amazing advenbtures in the area.

White Water Rafting:

Let River Runners (http://www.whitewater.net/) take you for an unforgettable outdoor experience on the Arkansas River. Free pick up and drop off from the Buena Vista KOA. Launch from our private beach just 2 miles form the Buena Vista KOA. No hastle just park and Raft.

Whether you're interested in a thrilling whitewater experience or a scenic float down one of the most beautiful stretches of river in Colorado,River Runners pull out all the stops, every time.

Trips come pre-packaged or fully customized. We offer a variety of trip lengths and degrees of difficulty, from two hours to multi-day.

River Runners caters each trip around your specific needs and wants.

Fishing:

Colorado Fly Fishing Guides (http://www.coloradoflyfishingguides.com/) is a certified and registered Colorado Outfitter with permits for the Arkansas River, parts of the South Platte River, Spinney and Eleven Mile Reservoirs, and other State Wildlife Areas. We are continually researching and adding to our permit areas. Let us guide you for a day of unforgettable beauty and memories in Colorado's great outdoors.

We are located at the Buena Vista KOA Kampground. We chose this location to provide our clients with a beautiful Western setting where they can stay while fishing with us. Reasonably priced cabins or camping sites are available for tents or with full hook-ups for RVs. A full service lodge with showers and washer/dryers are available. The views are stunning with the Sawatch Mountain Range in the background. Fifteen peaks over 14,000 feet are located in the Sawatch Range. Many are visible from the KOA.

We will meet you at the KOA in our fishing lodge and get you fitted with waders and fly rod. If you desire, come a few minutes early and enjoy a great breakfast in the Cook Shack while admiring the scenery.

Horseback Riding:

For the finest in riding, come out and experience the spectacular mountain scenery of the Upper Arkansas Valley and the San Isabel National Forest. We offer the best trails and horses for your riding pleasure. Both novice and advanced rider can enjoy the great outdoors through a variety of riding packages. Let us help you plan or schedule a memorable riding trip at AOK Korral Riding Stable (http://aokkorral.com/).

Campground Activities:

River Runners (Rafting)
AOK Korral Trail Rides
Colorado Fly Fishing Guides
Recreation Room (Foosball, Billiards, TV)
Volleyball, Basketball, Horseshoes, Tetherball
Playground
Ice Cream Socials, Cookouts
Fabulous Views of Arkansas Valley
Spectacular Sunsets over Collegiate Peaks
Hiking & Biking Trail on Adjacent BLM Property

Area Attractions:

Fishing/Hunting
Hiking/Backpacking
Rock Climbing/Rapelling
4x4 Off Road
Mountain Bike Trails
ATV
Golf
Mt. Princeton Hot Springs (http://www.mtprinceton.com/)
Cottonwood Hot Springs (http://www.cottonwood-hot-springs.com/hotsprings/)
Salida Hot Springs Pool (http://salidapool.com/)
Ghost Towns
Historic St. Elmo (http://www.st-elmo.com/)
Art Galleries
Drive-In Theater
Wildlife Viewing
Trout Hatchery
Rock Hounding
Gold Panning
14,000ft Peaks
Mountain Climbing
Colorado Trail
Continental Divide Trail
Rainbow Trail
Midland Trail (Adjacent to KOA)

pjmjr508
01-31-2011, 01:36 PM
I most likely will be doing a cabin also because with the cost of renting a tent trailer & then the cost of a spot it will be cheaper to just use one of thier cabins plus it will save on the gas of towing it from WA & back. Get paid on Friday so I will give you the res info once I make it.

LWM
01-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I will be flying out to Eugene Oregon tomorrow to bring back a prisoner so I will take along my trailguide and start to select some great trails, if there are trails you would like to do like Mosquito Pass and others post it up herer or send me a PM.

We have four days to get in as many trails as we can including travel time to and from base camp and other activites.

strokeZ
01-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Okay, they do have cabin numbers but it is no biggie, hopefully it is #8. (4 and 5 are close too) 6 & 7 are two room units.

I emailed them and looks like they have me in kabin #4. 8 is unavailable.

ped4599
02-01-2011, 04:02 AM
I will be flying out to Eugene Oregon tomorrow to bring back a prisoner so I will take along my trailguide and start to select some great trails, if there are trails you woul dlike to do like Mosquito Pass and others post it up herer or send me a PM.

We have four days to get in as many trails as we can including travel time to and from base camp and other activites.

My wife said she is not going to come this year. She told me to go if i wanted to. Not sure if I should read between the lines on that or not. So i am not sure i will make it, but it could always happen. So my two scents worth on the trails may not really hold an value....BUT...

When picking the trails I would suggest using the trail damage guide and staying with shorter trails, in the 4-6 rating. Anything harder will probably not be very good for this group, but lower rating trails are basically just roads, that any car could go on. Just a thought anyway. I am just taking this from the talk around camp for the past two years...they the really long days seem to really tax people and be come sort or stressful....Several people said that the really easy trails seem to defeat the purpose of drive all the way to Camp Commander when they could drive on gravel roads anywhere. I think its good to have a mix of trails though for all levels. I just think that looking back at the trails we did over the past two years, the 4s,5s, and 6s, that were less than 10 miles, gave people a bit of a challenge, but didnt break any parts, and didnt leave you seasick.
I thought black bear was the perfect trail last year, as did many others. Imogene is also good, but a bit long....both ofcourse would be perfect without the drive back to camp!:D
But of course...i have not been on any of the trails in this new area, but have driven past there. Its hard to know what to expect until you get there. Im just trying to toss out ideas and insights from what I got from others...even if I can not make it.

Tymac
02-01-2011, 08:28 PM
This change is awesome for us. Now we're just about 3 hrs away. I'll get set up next week when I get back from Vegas. Go Packers!

LWM
02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I have listed some trails in post # 4 for consideration, please review them and make your desires known. The time and distance are for the trails only and do not include travel time to and from the trails or delays for sight seeing and meal breaks.

WanderingTs
02-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Ghost towns with some sightseeing sounds like a great reason to get dirty!

Some of the runs last year ended up being pretty short, leaving half a day or so open. I don't see anything wrong with this, especially since it gives people flexiblity. On a Manx Dune Buggy rally I went to they had it set up where the second half of the day had advanced runs after the initial run for those who wanted to go a little more hardcore. I would love it if we were able to do the same one (or more) days. I love to push the edge a little bit, and doing that with the safety of other experienced XK owners around is even better. I barely used 4 low last year. I heard a rumor that El Cid and Ped4599 did a hard run the last day last year...but my vacation time had run out.

Is there anyone else coming who would like to try some sort of very advanced or hard trail later in one of the days? Does anyone have a good suggestion for a trail to fit this bill? I am not interested in going so hard that I am going to leave paint or parts somewhere along the trail, but I wouldn't mind pushing my XK to 80-90% of what it can do. A short distance but high challenge trail would probably be good if we only have half a day.

LWM
02-05-2011, 10:11 AM
There are several difficult trails that you need a lift (under armor) and 4-lo that sounded real nice to me but I am one of those who will do more with my XK then many others. We certainly can put a couple of those trails in the plan for the afternoon and then people can choose if they want to try them or find their own entertainment (and it sounds like there is a lot to do there).

strokeZ
02-05-2011, 10:30 AM
The trails you listed look pretty good. Im going to be bringing my MTN bike with me and do some riding as well if I can get someone to join me - prolly after the half day sessions. Looks pretty cool.

LWM
02-05-2011, 11:56 AM
The trails you listed look pretty good. Im going to be bringing my MTN bike with me and do some riding as well if I can get someone to join me - prolly after the half day sessions. Looks pretty cool.

If there is a place to rent bikes I might be interested, my son took mine to college with him.

pjmjr508
02-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Ghost towns with some sightseeing sounds like a great reason to get dirty!

Some of the runs last year ended up being pretty short, leaving half a day or so open. I don't see anything wrong with this, especially since it gives people flexiblity. On a Manx Dune Buggy rally I went to they had it set up where the second half of the day had advanced runs after the initial run for those who wanted to go a little more hardcore. I would love it if we were able to do the same one (or more) days. I love to push the edge a little bit, and doing that with the safety of other experienced XK owners around is even better. I barely used 4 low last year. I heard a rumor that El Cid and Ped4599 did a hard run the last day last year...but my vacation time had run out.

Is there anyone else coming who would like to try some sort of very advanced or hard trail later in one of the days? Does anyone have a good suggestion for a trail to fit this bill? I am not interested in going so hard that I am going to leave paint or parts somewhere along the trail, but I wouldn't mind pushing my XK to 80-90% of what it can do. A short distance but high challenge trail would probably be good if we only have half a day.
I will make my resverations this week & I awill be down with this as well. I would like to push mine to see what it will do, this is why I have spent the money for the mods & for this type of jeep.

LWM
02-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Post #4 has been updated as follows:

PROPOSED Daily Schedule: Revised 01/28/2011

July 24: Early Arrivals and Set up (no planned trail rides)

July 25 / AM Run: Fourmile Area / This trail is rated "Easy" but is a good starter trail. It is approximately 25 miles in length and should take an estimated 3 to 4 hours.

July 25 / PM Run: This afternoon run will be on one of the more difficult trails in the area.

July 26: Tincup Pass, St. Elmo / This is a "Moderate" rated trail. It is approximately 13 miles in length and should take about 2 hours one way. St. Elmo is one of the most popular ghost towns in Colorado.

July 26 / Social Event: As in previous years I would like to plan a awards dinner for this evening at a local dinning establishment.

July 27 / AM Run: Hancock Pass, Alpine Tunnel / This trail is rated "moderate" and is approximately 12 miles and should be another half day run.

July 27 / PM Run: This afternoon run will be a "difficult" run for those who want to see what your Commander can do without breaking anything

July 28: Mosquito Pass / this too is a "moderate" rated trail, it is the highest pass road in Colorado open to travel. Total distance is 13.6 miles and should take 2 to 3 hours one way plus travel time to this trail which is the farthest from base-camp.

July 29: Departure (no planned trail rides)

WanderingTs
02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
The revised schedule sounds great to me. It provides lots of options for all levels of interest, while preserving the core of the Camp Commander traditions.

strokeZ
02-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Love the addition of the PM run! Looks good!

LWM
02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
The revised schedule sounds great to me. It provides lots of options for all levels of interest, while preserving the core of the Camp Commander traditions.

Love the addition of the PM run! Looks good!

I will study my trail guides and see what specific trails sound Commander Friendly and list them with details in the near future.

LWM
02-07-2011, 12:53 PM
If you have anything to share please let me know and we will list it post #5

pjmjr508
02-09-2011, 12:34 AM
I am booked for 24th thru 29th in a 1 room cabin. Do not know what the cabin # is yet & will update once I know

LWM
02-09-2011, 07:15 AM
I am thrilled to see so many first timers and new members sign up for this event, you will certainly enjoy it! and the rest of us get the added pleasure of meeting new friends.

pjmjr508
02-16-2011, 01:30 AM
Looking forward to the trip. I was emailed and told I will be in cabin #8.

LWM
02-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Looking forward to the trip. I was emailed and told I will be in cabin #8.

Post 3 updated

LWM
02-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Bump for all the new members!!!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/02/hippo_bump-1.jpg

pjmjr508
03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Bump for all the new members!!!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/02/hippo_bump-1.jpg

all I see is a red x

LWM
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
all I see is a red x

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/03/6803b9ec_bump3-1.jpg

pjmjr508
03-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks & looking for forward to the trip this july

ped4599
03-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I have upgraded my status from ''not going" to a very strong "maybe". I requested the time off from work. I was told it looks like it shouldnt be a problem and would probably be approved.
My wife and little one will NOT be going this time. BUT I may have a passenger...either my brother, or my mom said she would consider going along.
I am just trying to decide what would be the best for lodging....i dont really want to pull the camper, so i may just get a cabin or bring a tent, or even a motel, but the motel/hotels are pricey

Those of you who reserved cabins, did you get the small ones? it shows only the two room cabins are left. BUT i was reading and it looks like they are just a rooms with no eletricity, heat, or anything inside them.....so they seem like the same principle as sleeping in a tent, only you have hard walls and and roof.

HueyPilotVN
03-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Well if Ped is going, How can I not show up to keep you youngsters in line. Due to a reversal of fortunes, (things just got much better), Lee and I will almost surely make it up there this year. I will collect some goodies to bring along, several Fumotos, some accessories, and we might even give away a TJ if doc gets it all ready in time. Now that should get you guys off the fence and going.

LWM
03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Okay... I will go too! :) Oh I was already going, but now it will be even funner.

Rocky Mountain Canary
03-16-2011, 08:29 PM
It will be great to see you again

Rocky Mountain Canary
03-16-2011, 08:31 PM
That I great news ,we missed you last year

pjmjr508
03-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I am looking forward to seeing all of you, but if the gas stays around 4 a gallon for 91 I might have to bail out. I am hoping that the price does go back down. I am sitting around 11.6 mpg.

LWM
03-29-2011, 04:11 PM
I am looking forward to seeing all of you, but if the gas stays around 4 a gallon for 91 I might have to bail out. I am hoping that the price does go back down. I am sitting around 11.6 mpg.

I fully understand, heres hoping the situation improves for all of us.

WanderingTs
03-31-2011, 02:03 AM
Due to a number of factors including work schedule and financial considerations, I am being forced into the realization that Camp Commander is just not in the cards for me this year. I have a reservation already for the trailer spot next to Knappster (B9) for the 24th -29th. Before I cancel my reservation and throw it out to the general public, I thought I would give forum members first crack at the slot. Any takers?

HueyPilotVN
04-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Yes Sir, I would. I was just getting ready to go online and reserve a spot. Should I tell the person to change the reservation to my credit card? You will probably have ti call also so that they do not think I am stealing your spot....

HueyPilotVN
04-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I just got off the phone with the KOA. We cannot fit in the site next to Jon but she gave us a pull thru site directly across the play area with 50 amps and full hookups. We will be on site P71. So if anyone still needs P9 it might still be available. Since I now know that we will be coming I will get some Fumoto Valves for give aways. I also ordered several bottles of different kinds of lubricants, oil amd filters from Amsoil so we can do some packages for LOF and gear box changes.

LWM
04-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I do hope they hold B-9 for a little while and not stick someone else in the middle of our group.

If you are already coming and B-9 is a better spot, give them a call and maybe you can move into that space.

Tymac
04-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Well we're still in and will be bringing out our new trailer. We take delivery next week. I'll be calling about that spot in the am to see if it's still available.

LWM
04-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Very cool, I will be glad to have you as a neighbor.

TrialByFire
04-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Well I'm committing to be there with the wife and maybe some of the kids. I haven't made any reservations yet as I'm not sure if we're tenting, trailering, or taking a cabin.
Will keep you all posted. I'm having a Superlift installed in the next couple of weeks so we'll be ready for bear!

LWM
04-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Well I'm committing to be there with the wife and maybe some of the kids. I haven't made any reservations yet as I'm not sure if we're tenting, trailering, or taking a cabin.
Will keep you all posted. I'm having a Superlift installed in the next couple of weeks so we'll be ready for bear!

It will be good too see many old frinds and meet some new ones as well, Welcome to the event.

TrialByFire
04-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm really looking forward to it!

Tymac
04-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Welcome! Like Jon said it will be good to see some new faces, not that I'm getting tired of the past attendees.

Jon, I just talk to Sarah they were out of town for a few days. My trailer is to big for B9, so at that point I decided for full hook ups. She's not sure where we'll be yet, but will keep us close.

As soon as church is over on Sunday the 24th we'll be heading out. Plan to be there about 5-6pm. It's about a 3 hour ride from town. We're checking out Wednesday morning, but staying to go wheeling. We'll head back to the ranch Wednesday night. We are closing the house up Thursday and heading back to Ohio on Friday.

LWM
04-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Jon, I just talk to Sarah they were out of town for a few days. My trailer is to big for B9, so at that point I decided for full hook ups. She's not sure where we'll be yet, but will keep us close.

I do hope we get a Commander in that site before they fill up.

Tymac
05-07-2011, 11:23 PM
With fuel cost going up it might be cheaper for me to buy another Commander and trailer in Colorado and fly out! Geez this is getting ridiculous.

LWM
05-08-2011, 09:31 AM
With fuel cost going up it might be cheaper for me to buy another Commander and trailer in Colorado and fly out! Geez this is getting ridiculous.

You are correct, They could rent a lot of Commanders that week if they had them.

ped4599
05-11-2011, 02:32 AM
sounds like we may get a break....fuel could be going down by then!

LWM
05-11-2011, 05:40 AM
sounds like we may get a break....fuel could be going down by then!

From your lips too HIS ears!

The wife asked me if we could still afford to go and I told her I would give up all kinds of other stuff before I give up Camp Commander!

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 09:43 AM
From your lips too HIS ears!

The wife asked me if we could still afford to go and I told her I would give up all kinds of other stuff before I give up Camp Commander!

I push my jeep if I had to and only run the engine on the trail LOL

Rocky Mountain Canary
05-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I have been bringing lunch to work for weeks
and made my wife get a 3rd job;)

pjmjr508
05-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I am hoping the gas does come down, I really want to go but if it doesn't I will have to cancel.

TrialByFire
05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
After much indecision regarding the trailer, we booked a tent site at T21.

LWM
05-13-2011, 07:28 PM
After much indecision regarding the trailer, we booked a tent site at T21.

Great news, looking forward to meeting you.

brendon
05-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Looks like it's gonna happen for me. I'm still working out the details but should be arriving in camp on Monday. I have yet to make any reservations.

Will there be a camp sticker similar to the last two years? I need to add another consecutive year to my window.:)

LWM
05-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Looks like it's gonna happen for me. I'm still working out the details but should be arriving in camp on Monday. I have yet to make any reservations.

Will there be a camp sticker similar to the last two years? I need to add another consecutive year to my window.:)

I will get to work on the sticker this week! Glad you are coming.

ped4599
05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
My status was a good "maybe"....then i went to a "NO go" when my wife lost her job.....but she has a new better one and things are going well there so far, so that puts me back in the "very strong maybe....almost a yes" catagory. Technically, its probably a yes since I got approved from work for vacation already. I just don't know yet what my lodging situation will be. its up in the air depending if my mom comes along or not. wife and little one are NOT coming this round.

LWM
05-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I feel for you man, but it will be good to see you again if it works out for you.

LWM
05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Working on more give aways, If anyone comes up with anything let me know!

Tymac
05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
My status was a good "maybe"....then i went to a "NO go" when my wife lost her job.....but she has a new better one and things are going well there so far, so that puts me back in the "very strong maybe....almost a yes" catagory. Technically, its probably a yes since I got approved from work for vacation already. I just don't know yet what my lodging situation will be. its up in the air depending if my mom comes along or not. wife and little one are NOT coming this round.

J, Glad to hear things are turning around. It's almost impossible for a family to be single income anymore. It just wouldn't be the same without you.

Tymac
05-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Working on more give aways, If anyone comes up with anything let me know!

I'd like to give away my fuel bill for this year's trip! Either coming, going or both.

ped4599
05-31-2011, 09:18 PM
I pulled up this old video of mine from WCCC 2 years ago. Many have seen it. I didnt make a video from last year since my camera is still somewhere on Engineer pass, no doubt being used by a family of bears....hope they enjoyed the donation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmvRKsJJD7c&feature=player_detailpage

Anyway...just a teaser to help give people the bug. I am pretty much set on going, I just havn't decided if im going to pitch a tent at camp, or stay in town at a B&B.

I am hoping El Cid will make good on his promise to show me Red Cone this year.....Oh, wait I don't know if he promised that...but its out there now....its hard to retract it....

LWM
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Put in an order today for 12 Camp Commander window decals!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/10/DSCI0059-1.jpg

I requested ones the size and style of the 2009 decal except Buena Vista instead of Silverton.

LWM
06-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Please check Post 3 (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/537-West-Coast-Camp-Commander-2011-July-24-29-Buena-Vista-Colorado?p=5111&viewfull=1#post5111) and see if I have your info correct.

It's not too late to sign up!

El Cid
06-02-2011, 04:39 PM
I am hoping El Cid will make good on his promise to show me Red Cone this year.....Oh, wait I don't know if he promised that...but its out there now....its hard to retract it....

Sigh. Thanks a lot, Justin. :)

At this point, all signs are pointing to "no" for me. I'll let y'all know if it changes, though. And rest assured that if I do lug my XK across the country I will be doing Red Cone.

Tymac
06-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Mike, I bet your parents miss you. I'd also bet they would love to have you home for a few weeks this summer. Then after you spend sometime with your parents you can hang out with people that really care about you, maybe even do a little wheeling as well.

Sometimes you just need a better delivery to pitch an idea.

ped4599
06-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I am official.
I booked a room at a lodge/b&b on the edge of town. I wont be at the KOA but will still hang out there. I was not in the mood to deal with camping gear this round and since my mom or brother will be possible going along this was easier. My mom said she was open to sleeping in a tent, but I think this is best. Will arrive on July 24 and depart on July 29. I will find the base camp after I arrive and check in to see whats going on.
Jon you can ad me to the list.

LWM
06-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I am official. Jon you can ad me to the list.

Added, Looking forward to seeing you again.

HueyPilotVN
06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Lee and I are probably not going to make it. We will try, but Lee is scheduled for a total hip replacement next week. They say about six weeks for recovery so we will see how she feels then. She and I really wanted to take her two teenage grandchildren along this year. I cancelled site 71 but I can surely find a place if we end up making the trip.

LWM
06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Lee and I are probably not going to make it.

either way we are praying for Lee, I do hope it works out for you both.

Tymac
06-08-2011, 10:48 AM
either way we are praying for Lee, I do hope it works out for you both.

X2 Bill. It would sure be nice to visit with you and Lee again.

LWM
06-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Will arrive on July 24 and depart on July 29.

Can you go into the poll and add yourslef to that list as well?

ped4599
06-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Can you go into the poll and add yourslef to that list as well?

10-4 - done

LWM
06-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Free concert Thursday night:

http://bvmusicfestival.com/2011-lineup/july-28-free/

Tymac
06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Thats funny. When you go to Drew Emmitt's site it doesn't list them playing there. I guess it's because it's pro-bono.

pjmjr508
06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Bad news guys, I am going to have to cancel out for this year. Work related. I really want to go, Next year it will have to be.

pjmjr508
06-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Also an FYI if you do have to cancel for any reason from the KOA they will charge a $10.00 fee to cancel

LWM
06-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Sorry to hear you will not make it, Hopefully we will all meet you at another event.

pjmjr508
06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Thank you sir & I am not happy about it. I do want to meet all of you and will do soon enough. You guys seem to be a great bunch of guys & looking to be spending some time relaxing & wheeling with all of you. Also I need to go back home to NJ and run some trails with the East Coast group too, they seem to be just straight nuts & yes I am talking about you Sal lol..

ped4599
06-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Bad news guys, I am going to have to cancel out for this year. Work related. I really want to go, Next year it will have to be.

I am sorry you have to cancel. anything we can do to fix your work situation?...hehe...can you just bring your work along with you or something?

I was really counting on you and WanderingTs for an attempt at climbing up to Grizzly Lake on the day we were to hit Hancock pass/Alpine station, since you two guys said you wanted to try something a bit challenging. Now you are both out.

Hopefully you can make it again next time if it works out.

ped4599
06-27-2011, 07:59 PM
I guess since I brought it up.....
I will pose this question for anyone who is attending WCCC:

On the proposed trails list....WEDNESDAY is marked for an AM "easy/moderate" trail with an optional PM ride on one of the harder trails. I have been looking things over and researching some of the trails and I am thinking that the HANCOCK PASS/Alpine station will take longer than just a half day, or at least won't leave enough time to do both an AM and PM ride..........So I was going to see if there were any takers that would want to split off and climb up to Grizzy Lake since its one of the more difficult trails, and we will be going right past it on the Hancock pass.

I am not sure what the plan was to be that day once the group reached the Alpine tunnel, as far as how to get back to town.....but i suspect if anyone was game to go up to grizzly lake that we could get up and back down, then still catch back up to the group....since im guessing they would go up and back to Hancock lake. That's if there were any takers.

From what I have read and videos i have seen and things I have done in my own XK, i think this trail is possible with some armor, lift, tires, and careful lines.
I am just seeing if there is any interest in this. If the whole group wants to do this, then we could just make it part of that day's ride.

If there are people who will absolutely NOT attempt it, the group would stay on the main trail, and any takers could run up to the Grizzly lake and back down, then continue on, as planned.

This would only be 2.5 miles up and 2.5 miles back, so 5 miles total. its rated a 5/6. I think it would be hard enough to make it a challenge, but not something that's going to ruin your rig, if you have some armor and patience.

Anyone left in the mix want to discuss it?

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/GoogleEarth_Image-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/GoogleEarth_Image-2.jpg

Tymac
06-29-2011, 07:42 AM
If you want to go up to fish for a little while you can count me in. From what I've read the fishing is good.

Here is a report from Trail Damage http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=55

HueyPilotVN
06-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Today Lee comes home from having her total hip replacement. She spent four days in the hospital and almost two weeks in a physical theraphy facility. She says she is planning on us making it to WCCC in Colorado. Will see what she feels like in a few weeks but it looks like we may be back on for it.

Tymac
06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Today Lee comes home from having her total hip replacement. She spent four days in the hospital and almost two weeks in a physical theraphy facility. She says she is planning on us making it to WCCC in Colorado. Will see what she feels like in a few weeks but it looks like we may be back on for it.

Bill, that's great news! So glad to hear her recovery is going well.

brendon
06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Well, I finally remembered to call to make a reservation for a tent site, but their computers are down due to a lightning storm. They'll call me back.

My vacation request still hasn't been officially approved, but my boss alluded to my "plannig vacations coming up soon" in a meeting earlier...

brendon
06-30-2011, 01:45 PM
My reservation is official, but she couldn't give me the site number. She did note that I requested to be near the group.

HueyPilotVN
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
OK, I am official again. I just reserved site 71 again. Lee is walking and says she will be ready by then. Our two grandchildren will be meeting us there. I am not sure if she will go bouncing around offroad or not. She and Casandra may go to the the aquatic center in town while Devin and I hit the trails or we may just goof off like the first WCCC.

LWM
07-01-2011, 10:00 AM
It is great news to hear you are all back in. I am looking forward to the event.

I am up for the harder trail as well depending on how everything shakes out for the others.

ped4599
07-01-2011, 11:58 AM
OK, I am official again. I just reserved site 71 again. Lee is walking and says she will be ready by then. Our two grandchildren will be meeting us there. I am not sure if she will go bouncing around offroad or not. She and Casandra may go to the the aquatic center in town while Devin and I hit the trails or we may just goof off like the first WCCC.

Even if you decide not to go on the trails, atleast we will all get to see you guys again! I am glad its going to work out!

ped4599
07-01-2011, 12:10 PM
It is great news to hear you are all back in. I am looking forward to the event.

I am up for the harder trail as well depending on how everything shakes out for the others.

I guess i just depends on how the days was going to go...meaning if the main trail to the tunnel/station was going to be a dead end and we were going to back track.
we could hit it on the way back out too.---that would keep is as an "AM/PM" run like planned.
It looks like once we are at the end we could jump on Williams pass to go back over the mountian and link up with the begining of hancock trail then head towards camp....the Grizzy lake takers could hit it then on the way out, while other could go on back to camp.

if you look...Williams pass and the last half of Hancock make kind of a loop.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/GoogleEarth_Image-1.jpg

TrialByFire
07-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Welcome back Huey. Glad to hear Lee is doing so well!

As for the trail choices, I'm up for the Grizzly Lake, or making a loop of both.

ped4599
07-06-2011, 12:18 PM
One other trail that is near by....literally only a few miles from base camp is Chinaman Gulch, which is a well known trail. I am not sure if this one can be completed by our rigs or not. I know the low end rating is about a 4 since there are some bypasses for the hard stuff, and the top end is a 7. Of course those ratings can be relative and very from year to year. I do think its worth a look, and that I may try it the day after we do the "Fourmile area" in the morning. This trail is close by so IF it looks like it will ruin the rig and I wont be able to make it back home, I can always turn around...I at least want to drive there and see it. If anyone wants to go along and attempt it or a go as a far as possible, chime in! (or if you have first hand knowledge, ....sound off.....)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/GoogleEarth_Image-2.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/GoogleEarth_Image-3.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/GoogleEarth_Image-4.jpg

Also, as you can see from the images "Carnage canyon" is right there too. This trail is very hard and is also a well known trail for serious crawlers. I will probably spend a few minute looking it over and maybe walk a ways into it, or if any others groups are running it, maybe watch and see how they do. Just an idea. Its so close to the camp (relative to other trails we will do) that I would be mad at my self for not at least checking it out.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/GoogleEarth_Image-5.jpg

LWM
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I will research the trail a little more too but you have peaked my interest.

TrialByFire
07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I will research the trail a little more too but you have peaked my interest.

Chinaman Gulch is supposed to be good and probably doable with a 2" lift. I've wanted to do it after reading the description on TrailDamage.com.
Carnage Canyon is extreme and for buggies only from what I've seen.

Tymac
07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Chinaman Gulch is supposed to be good and probably doable with a 2" lift. I've wanted to do it after reading the description on TrailDamage.com.
Carnage Canyon is extreme and for buggies only from what I've seen.

I use traildamage.com also. Lots of good info on there.

Tymac
07-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Picking up the travel trailer on the way home today to begin packing for Colorado. I can't wait to get out of here on Friday!! If anyone is coming out of New Mexico on I-25 or across Colorado Rt. 160 to I-25 shoot me a pm and I'll get you my number. If you have road trouble or just want to stop by for a visit we'd love to have you. We're just south of Walsenburg, CO

TrialByFire
07-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Picking up the travel trailer on the way home today to begin packing for Colorado. I can't wait to get out of here on Friday!! If anyone is coming out of New Mexico on I-25 or across Colorado Rt. 160 to I-25 shoot me a pm and I'll get you my number. If you have road trouble or just want to stop by for a visit we'd love to have you. We're just south of Walsenburg, CO

So you are close to Blanca Peak. That's one more I'd like to try!

The wife and I will probably be heading up from Albuquerque on US-285 through Alamosa, but thanks for the invite.

Tymac
07-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Our place faces the East Spanish Peak, but still in the Sangre de Cristo chain. I'd like to try Lake Como rd. sometime.

ped4599
07-12-2011, 02:20 PM
few short videos of Grizzly Lake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVvVVo1j_vs&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPSbw2zOLo&feature=player_detailpage

LWM
07-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Not enough ground clearance for the Commander.

brendon
07-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Not enough ground clearance for the Commander.

Our rear overhang in particular! AKA departure angle

TrialByFire
07-12-2011, 07:19 PM
With some skids and some rocker protection and a 2" lift and some really good spotting, an XK could do it. That was some poor wheel placement IMO.

Tymac
07-13-2011, 10:41 AM
With some skids and some rocker protection and a 2" lift and some really good spotting, an XK could do it. That was some poor wheel placement IMO.

I agree, plus I will be installing a 16 year old rock stacker to help where needed.

NoMatter
07-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Well after waiting till the very last second to finalize plans My family (wife, 7 year old daughter, almost 2 son) and I are coming to this years event, How can I not since it's only a couple hours away. Unfortunately we wont get there till late tues night, I was really looking forward to finishing Tincup but thats okay, take time to feed the chipmunks in St. Elmo. We booked a cabin site at the KOA months ago and we're really looking forward to it!
not trying to be discouraging but looking at the status of the trails listed some still have snow blocking them but they should be fine by the time we get there. Btw here is a link to bushducks for pass status.
http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

LWM
07-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Well after waiting till the very last second to finalize plans My family (wife, 7 year old daughter, almost 2 son) and I are coming to this years event, How can I not since it's only a couple hours away.

Great news... Send your $200.00 registration fee to the following address: :)

NoMatter
07-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Great news... Send your $200.00 registration fee to the following address: :)
Not a problem once congress approves my spending bill! Haha

HueyPilotVN
07-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey, He charged me $400 for registration.

Tymac
07-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Hey, He charged me $400 for registration.

That's because you paid for mine.

HueyPilotVN
07-14-2011, 07:06 AM
I was happy to do it to repay you for the Black Jeep Commander Camp Shirt you gave me.

Tymac
07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
I was happy to do it to repay you for the Black Jeep Commander Camp Shirt you gave me.

umm, I owe you a lot of change then.

Tymac
07-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Well we're almost packed up and ready to head out on Saturday. Today I got my Commander back from the dealer. Since I built a factory tow package on mine I was missing some connectors for my trailer brake controller and personally I trust them to find the proper wires.

They never told me what site I was being assigned, but I know its a full hook up with room for a slide out.

ped4599
07-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Well after waiting till the very last second to finalize plans My family (wife, 7 year old daughter, almost 2 son) and I are coming to this years event, How can I not since it's only a couple hours away. Unfortunately we wont get there till late tues night, I was really looking forward to finishing Tincup but thats okay, take time to feed the chipmunks in St. Elmo. We booked a cabin site at the KOA months ago and we're really looking forward to it!
not trying to be discouraging but looking at the status of the trails listed some still have snow blocking them but they should be fine by the time we get there. Btw here is a link to bushducks for pass status.
http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

I am glad you are going to be able to make it. Too bad you can not get there sooner, but at least you will make it for a couple days. That sight it a good sight since most of us have no idea what the trail status is.
Im sure we will make it all work depending on which trails are open.

ped4599
07-14-2011, 03:42 PM
I looked over that bushducks site and i see that it does affect some of our trails.I am sure we will still find something to do. Hopefully more of them will be open as we get closer. It looks like we still will have plenty of riding to do....we just may not get to go all the way over some of them. I am guessing the locals will be able to give more info on what our options are when we get there. I am still looking forward to it!

Tymac
07-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Trailer brakes are working great. Just need to finish packing tomorrow. I'm also going to change the oil in the Commander. It seems I overlooked a box of AMSoil and a filter that I won a few years ago (Thanks Bill!)

Hope we all have safe travels to and from Camp!

HueyPilotVN
07-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Your certainly welcome. As I recall when we divided the oil up there was only 6 quarts per gift set, so you might need to add a quart of Coke Cola or something black and liquid to make up your seven quarts for a Hemi.

NoMatter
07-15-2011, 09:05 AM
I looked over that bushducks site and i see that it does affect some of our trails.I am sure we will still find something to do. Hopefully more of them will be open as we get closer. It looks like we still will have plenty of riding to do....we just may not get to go all the way over some of them. I am guessing the locals will be able to give more info on what our options are when we get there. I am still looking forward to it!
For sure there is plenty to do and trails to cover!

LWM
07-15-2011, 10:07 AM
It does not matter too me what trails we run as I am sure there are many good trails in the area and the fellowship with other members is the best part of the week.

NoMatter
07-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Knappster I really like the schedule you arranged, I'm getting really anxious!

LWM
07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Knappster I really like the schedule you arranged, I'm getting really anxious!

I look forward to this event every year!

LWM
07-18-2011, 06:17 AM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/03/6803b9ec_bump3-1.jpg

LWM
07-18-2011, 06:36 AM
My buddie dropped off the tent trailer last night so now all I need is a Jeep Commander and I am ready to go! :)

Justin, would you mind being Wagonmaster on Wednesday and running one of the trails you have highlighted? Chinaman Gulch and Grizley both looked like fun runs. You can Wagonmaster any trail you want on any other day too as my list was just a suggestion and I have not run any of them before and certainly do not want to lead every trail ride either.

I received 3 boxes of goodies from Discount Tire so I will strat putting the goodie bags together as well.

LWM
07-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Well after waiting till the very last second to finalize plans My family (wife, 7 year old daughter, almost 2 son) and I are coming to this years event.

If you get a chance can you go into the poll and list your dates?

strokeZ
07-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Really looking forward to meeting everyone! Should make Amarillo TX the first night and arrive into Buena Vista on Sunday. Luckily my daughter is joining me so should be a nice ride.

LWM
07-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I am planning on stoping at the Albuquerque N./ Berndillo KOA on Saturday night and then on into Buena Vista on Sunday.

LWM
07-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Question for those attending Camp Commander...

Do you want me to scout arount town for a local resturant for our Wednesday Night Awards Dinner or do you want to do a pot luck type event at the campground?

strokeZ
07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Local venue would work best for me.

NoMatter
07-18-2011, 03:19 PM
If you get a chance can you go into the poll and list your dates?
Looks like the poll is closed? I will be arriving the 7-26 late evening and departing 7-29.
Several trails in my neck of the woods that were previously block by snow opened up this weekend, some of them weeks later than usual. Looks like a whole lotta melting is going on!
*I just Read the infamous...Red Cone is open. Trail reports have it as being in really good shape, but its about an hour and a half from base camp.

TrialByFire
07-18-2011, 08:08 PM
I am planning on stoping at the Albuquerque N./ Berndillo KOA on Saturday night and then on into Buena Vista on Sunday.

Roxanne an I will be leaving Albuquerque Sunday morning if you want to caravan.

LWM
07-18-2011, 08:45 PM

That would be great.

ped4599
07-19-2011, 02:33 AM

x2

ped4599
07-19-2011, 02:50 AM
My buddie dropped off the tent trailer last night so now all I need is a Jeep Commander and I am ready to go! :)

Justin, would you mind being Wagonmaster on Wednesday and running one of the trails you have highlighted? Chinaman Gulch and Grizley both looked like fun runs. You can Wagonmaster any trail you want on any other day too as my list was just a suggestion and I have not run any of them before and certainly do not want to lead every trail ride either.

I received 3 boxes of goodies from Discount Tire so I will strat putting the goodie bags together as well.

Jon, Yes, I would be ok with that.
I would say for anyone wanting to do chinaman gulch, we try that Monday afternoon, hoping that the FOURMILE AREA morning run wont spill over into the afternoon.
Jon, you can start it all off with the the FOURMILE AREA run in the morning, then after that I will head to Chinaman Gulch, if any one wants to follow.

And then it would make sense to do Grizzly Lake on that Wednesday on the way back from the Alpine station....assuming that the Hancock pass is open by then........ Basically I think we would have the whole group run Hancock PASS to the Alpine station/tunnel, then on the way back people who want to try Grizzly can go up it, since its on the way back out....and others who want to skip Grizzly can head back to camp...or do a run up hancock lake or any of the other lakes, or what ever they choose.

ped4599
07-19-2011, 02:56 AM
The bushducks site show Hancock pass is OPEN!!

strokeZ
07-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Weather dot com site showing good chance of rain Tues & Wed of next week. Bring your mud gear!

ped4599
07-19-2011, 05:12 AM
Weather dot com site showing good chance of rain Tues & Wed of next week. Bring your mud gear!

I have never been to this area so i dont know if rain actualy equals mud since it could be pretty rocky, but I down that rain will make it any more wet than the tons and tons of melting snow there right now! hehe!

strokeZ
07-19-2011, 05:18 AM
I have never been either - but I am sure either the camp site or trails or somewhere there will be mud - still that is an extended forecast so it will prolly change - but you are dead on right about the snow (I often forget that living at sea level!).

LWM
07-19-2011, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I will bring additional wet weather gear too.

TrialByFire
07-19-2011, 07:18 AM

x3

LWM
07-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Here is where I will be staying on Saturday Night, let me know where you want to meet up at:

http://koa.com/campgrounds/albuquerque-north/

Albuquerque North / Bernalillo KOA
555 South Hill Road
Bernalillo, NM 87004

HueyPilotVN
07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I have a couple of updates. Lee. I and our two grandkids will be following Jon up from Phoenix Saturday, Staying at the Albuquerque KOA that night. I guess we might have a convoy up to Buena Vista. I have decided thaat since I have a new air station, I will donate my old, hardly used, but complete with a snazzy aluminum case as a drawing prize. I also have some Amsoil products that we can divide up, filters, gear lube, syn trans lube. I will look thru the workshop for any other Jeep goodies. I tried to get a deal on Fumoto valves but they did not even email me back. I guess that they did not know that I was a big Fumoto promoter.....

TrialByFire
07-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Here is where I will be staying on Saturday Night, let me know where you want to meet up at:

There is a RailRunner train station parking lot just north of the KOA at Hwy 550 and I-25. It would be a good place to meet.

It's about a 4-1/2 hour drive to Buena Vista so I was thinking of leaving about 9:00 but am flexible.

LWM
07-19-2011, 09:38 PM
There is a RailRunner train station parking lot just north of the KOA at Hwy 550 and I-25. It would be a good place to meet.

It's about a 4-1/2 hour drive to Buena Vista so I was thinking of leaving about 9:00 but am flexible.

That works for me, we can meet for breakfast or just meet up and go...

TrialByFire
07-20-2011, 06:13 PM
That works for me, we can meet for breakfast or just meet up and go...

Let's meet for breakfast at 8:30 at the Range Cafe (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Range+Cafe,+South+Camino+Del+Pueblo,+Bernal illo,+NM&hl=en&ll=35.302062,-106.545453&spn=0.02266,0.045276&sll=35.301817,-106.552105&sspn=0.045321,0.090551&z=15) in Bernalillo.

strokeZ
07-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Getting really close to D-Day......been working all week preping the rig for the torture that lay ahead.....absolutely psyched about the trip!

LWM
07-20-2011, 10:11 PM
I spent four hours at Stone Soup Metal Works working on my XK. Rear bumper is finished (check), sliders painted (check), Front bumper back on (check), Tow hitch upgraded (check), CB moved (check).

Tomorrow I hope to check off sliders installed, driver fender back on, tube fenders installed, light bar completed and installed, license plate light wires finished, Computer deck installed, switch bank completed.

cico7
07-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Computer deck installed, switch bank completed.?????
Rocket powered air flow indicator?

Tymac
07-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Weather has been great here all week. Rained hard today out on rt.160 heading up Blanca. Had some deep water crossings on most of the roads we hit. See you guys on Sunday. Drive safe.

pjmjr508
07-22-2011, 10:43 AM
All you have a safe & great week. I wish I was able to join you guys, next year I will be able to. Make sure to take lots of videos & pictures.

Holaday07 4.7
07-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I wish I could have gone on this. Hope you all take a lot of pics and videos of the action for the rest of us to drool over.

Tymac
07-22-2011, 07:28 PM
All you have a safe & great week. I wish I was able to join you guys, next year I will be able to. Make sure to take lots of videos & pictures.

I wish I could have gone on this. Hope you all take a lot of pics and videos of the action for the rest of us to drool over.

If I only had a quarter for each time over the last 3 years I've heard this. Last year I really dropped the ball and only snapped a few. I'll make it up this year.

If you want to see my stash of pics from last year http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/JPaterchak/Colorado%20Off-Road%202010/

ped4599
07-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Worked most of the day around home loading up my gear and getting my XK Mountain ready.It should be ready to roll.

City Mode:

Trail Ready:

My brother is going to come along with me...so it will be a guys trip for me. We may do some climbing, rappelling, or kayaking, etc.....maybe some drinking....probably no fishing this time, he really isn't into that. We will leave Sunday morning early.

LWM
07-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Spent the last two days at Doc's getting the Commander ready, have to go to bed so I can finish in the morning before I meet up with Huey at 8am.

Rocky Mountain Canary
07-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Calling it a night finishing tomorrow
To all safe traveling

HueyPilotVN
07-23-2011, 07:48 AM
In the parking lot at Wally world near Jon and Janet's. The pre-flight is done and we hit the road in 14 minutes. Going to Albuquerque tonight and Camp Commander tomorrow. The grandkids bought out the snacks in Walmart last night......Film at Eleven.

WanderingTs
07-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Safe Jeeping to all. Jealous of all that you guys will see and conquer. It was a blast last year and I hope to see you all at next years event.

LWM
07-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Just north of Albuquerque for the night, heading into Buena Vista tomorrow.

strokeZ
07-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Made it to Yellow TX as planned. See you all tomorrow

ped4599
07-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Leaving for Colorado in the morning. See you all then. It will be later in the evening when we get to Buena Vista...Hopefully its still early enough to get checked in and then come over to the camp and touch base. Travel safe.

HueyPilotVN
07-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Made it in to Camp about 4:00 yesterday aternoon. The First trail ride of the week started about 1/2 hour ago. Our grandkids are riding with Jon and Janet. Lee is now 5 weeks post op from a hip replacement and I slept in after the long drive this weekend. Nice KOA, beautiful weather, film at eleven or sooner.

Holaday07 4.7
07-25-2011, 10:01 AM
I think Pics or Video should be required at every update

bjamrow
07-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Was just able to rearrange my work schedule for a day, so we'll be joining you guys for tomorrow's trail ride and dinner - back to work on Wednesday though! See everyone in the am...

NoMatter
07-25-2011, 12:33 PM
With much anguish I have to inform everyone that my family and won't be able to join the group for this years event. My father was admitted to the hospital with walking pneumonia last Friday and is hoping to be released tomorrow. He and I share a business together and without him being up to full health I do not feel comfortable leaving for several days. I look forward to seeing everyone's photos and reading the stories, Next year I'll be able to meet up. Fortunately the KOA was nice enough to let us schedule a time in September so we didn't lose out on any deposit or anything, Have fun guys!

LWM
07-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Was just able to rearrange my work schedule for a day, so we'll be joining you guys for tomorrow's trail ride and dinner - back to work on Wednesday though! See everyone in the am...

Glad you are coming, but the dinner was moved to Wednesday night.

With much anguish I have to inform everyone that my family and won't be able to join the group for this years event. My father was admitted to the hospital with walking pneumonia last Friday and is hoping to be released tomorrow. He and I share a business together and without him being up to full health I do not feel comfortable leaving for several days. I look forward to seeing everyone's photos and reading the stories, Next year I'll be able to meet up. Fortunately the KOA was nice enough to let us schedule a time in September so we didn't lose out on any deposit or anything, Have fun guys!

You will be missed, hope everything works out well or your father.

brendon
07-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Just got here and set up the tent. Site T13. Going to town to see about dinner.

LWM
07-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Just got here and set up the tent. Site T13. Going to town to see about dinner.

Meet @ B9 at 9:00 in the morning for tomorrows rides.

bjamrow
07-25-2011, 09:06 PM
No problem on the dinner - and we'll see you guys at B9 in the morning.

CmmdrDan
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
None of those show Fenders! AHHHHH

Holaday07 4.7
07-27-2011, 01:30 PM
None of those show Fenders! AHHHHH

hahah dude I wanted to say it