PDA

View Full Version : Do you have dual batteries on your Commander ?

1USMC
02-03-2011, 06:33 PM
If you have an auxiliary battery in your Commander, I was just wondering where owners are mounting them..

Thanks..

Sal-XK
02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Not sure if anyone has done this yet but a lot of have or our considering it. I guess one spot would be where the third row seat is if you did not have it installed and had a box made like a lot of people have done. It's pretty tight under the hood but you could make room installing a CAI. Not sure how much room there is but it looks like in the back panel by the third row seats driver side one could fit in there as well. I know the cables needed from way back there won't be cheap either. Those our the locations I've been thinking about.

1USMC
02-03-2011, 07:28 PM
My third row seat was the first to go, then the stock air intake, and now I have also have opened up room where the spare tire used to live. So I'd rather have more options than not.. It's not on an immediate mod list, but I'll keep studying it.

I always learn the hard way so I thinking perhaps others may have blazed this particulate trail before me and I could learn from them...

Sal-XK
02-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Under the hood is the best place to put it. If you don't have room under there the second best place is where the 3rd row seat was. It just means a longer harder more expensive cable run. Under neath were the spare tires was would make the cable run easier but add more problems. You will need to build or buy and mount a full incloser to house the battery. No I have not done it yet but I've been researching it for a while now. I'm designing my own intake for my XK an relocating some stuff and hope to create enough room to put the battery under the hood. I have most the parts I need I refilled my propane tank yesterday so I might just heat the garage up this weekend and tackle that mod.

this has been addressed before a little bit check this link out http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/296-Adding-Second-Battery

07JeepXK
02-05-2011, 02:19 PM
I wish my XK had dual batteries and alternators. That would be sick!

cico7
02-07-2011, 08:55 AM
If you could put your air intake closer to the firewall, behiknd the reserve tank, that would open a great place for a 2nd battery.
I was thinking about putting the intake by the firewall and a low profile scoop of some sort.

Sal-XK
02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I just recently cleared that spot open under my hood and do agree it is a sweet spot for a second batter. And the stock intake box can be modified to accept a second battery so you can mount it right in there and have a covered box for it.

kitkat
02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
I am on the band wagon on this as well...looked into it but it is illeagle to mount a battery anywhere inside a vehicle's interior here in BC. I don't see a ton of room under the hood with the 4.7L. Even with a CAI, they still seem to have their intake box in the same location

Sal-XK
02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
I am on the band wagon on this as well...looked into it but it is illeagle to mount a battery anywhere inside a vehicle's interior here in BC. I don't see a ton of room under the hood with the 4.7L. Even with a CAI, they still seem to have their intake box in the same location

You have to modify your CAI or make your own and point it somewhere else leaving the stock location empty.

hoaxci5
02-24-2011, 09:55 PM
What about relocating the EVAP canister under the rear drivers side bumper area? I think that will open up some free space to figure out a mount. I've just recently started looking for a spot without having to change too much. I need to keep the third row in tact, and underhood just doesn't seem like the space is there..

hoaxci5
02-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I just pulled the jack/tool cover behind the rear seat. Seems there is approx 6 1/2 x 10 x vehicle width (didn't measure because didn't think it would matter as you could 3-4 batteries wide). So how about a sealed battery or multiple even in that location? With a little work I think it could even remain hidden and flat with the rest of the seats when folded, and stock tool storage shouldn't be an issue.

Sal-XK
02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
There are plenty of spaces to mount it like I don't run a spare in the stock location so something can be made to house it there. But you have to keep in mind that cooper prices are way up and the cables needed if the battery will be asked to start your jeep won't be cheap at all. If all your going to do is run accessories then the cables will be a little cheaper. So keep the cost of parts in mind while planning this out. I will be doing mine as soon as I get my wife a new battery I will use her old one to do the mod

hoaxci5
02-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Where are you planning to put yours? Spare tire area? Isolator? What size wire?

Sal-XK
02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm putting mine where the stock intake sits. The wire needed to run cranking juice or winch use is like 2 or 3 gauge I think can't remember off hand.

Sal-XK
03-05-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm going to go get my wifes new battery today. As long as I can find one and don't have to order it online I'll probably start mounting the second battery under the hood today. I hoping to at least get the battery mounted today at least then worry about wiring it up later.