PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Commander Transmission problem p0734 / now going to drive jetta to colorado.

superacerc
02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm sure many of you saw my transmission issue on the other forum. if not here's the rundown:

So me and Stroke Z headed to Hidden Falls this weekend and had some great fun. Unfortunately i've developped some tranny issues. Not because of this weekend I've been noticing some symptoms before but didn't know what it was amounting to.

When I first noticed the issue (not this weekend) it was in the form of slipping while in reverse. If i tapped the gas in reverse it had a hesitant delay like it was out of gear and popped in.

Next symptom was some harder than normal downshifts and a bit of a popping sound. (not sure if this is realted)

This weekend i first had a big issue while going up a steep incline. In 4 low going up an incline it started going in and out of gear (jumping/lurching forward) until finally it would give up and go to 4th gear limp home mode and not do anything. You could rev the engine and nothing moved or even attempted to do so. I had to then coast backwards down the hill and I turned off the car and back on to reset the limp home mode. This issue came up every time I did anything with a very steep angle.

At one point my CEL came on and i key danced the code and found two :
I looked them up and one was low trans fluid. The other was improper gear ratio. I checked the fluid and it was normal. (Stroke Z suggested maybe the filter is clogged)

On the way home shifts became harder than normal. Eventually the car went into what I assume is a limp home mode and stayed in 4th the entire way (austin to houston). When using the gear selector the numbers changed but the actual gear did nothing. I didn't stop or put the gear in park untill back in houston cause i figured at least i'll get home first before messing it up farther.

When I got home i put it in Park and back in drive and it would only stay in first. Thankfully I waited to do this when i got back to houston. Now comes the task of figuring this out.

Wasn't the shift selonoid, input/output sensors/shift module (although they did update it for me).
Seems that it was actually the 4th gear/clutch causing the problem after all. Go figure the code was actually the real problem.

Anyway they said they'd have it back by thursday so I can go skiing in colorado with it and i'm sure they will but me and my wife figured that we can save 350-500 dollars in gas if we just drive the jetta so I won't get to have any fun in the snow with the Commander. We mainly decided that since we are spending 3500 dollars for the rebuild/labor (I know its a bit steep but I get a nice warranty and great service) figured we'd try to limit the damage by getting nearly 3 times the milage. I will still however have fun in the jetta in the snow (you can bet there's going to be some 360's and sliding around). I'll probably stick up some pics if i take anything interesting.

Still can't wait to have my baby back (not ribs).

Sal-XK
02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't blame you at all, I wouldn't take a rebuilt trans on a road trip either. Stay local for a while with it make sure its all good before you go taking off anywhere.

superacerc
02-08-2011, 08:21 PM
That was the other reason we didn't want to take it. Who knows how well these guys really put together the tranny until you put some miles/ wear on it. I want to beat on it some before I go any distance. Sure will miss the extra room and roof rack. The jetta has an extremely large trunk though and no doubt my highway cruising speed will be a bit higher so I should make better time.

LWM
02-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your transmission but the fuel saving will be very timely.

Ross
02-09-2011, 09:17 PM
I had almost the same problem this summer, I ended up having to get my entire transmission rebuilt, luckily it was still under warranty.

strokeZ
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Bummer about the tranny....have a great time in Colorado and I'd be happy to do another trip with you if you want to test it out.

superacerc
02-10-2011, 06:40 AM
I'll let you know when we plan another trip. Probably late spring (april/may).
Maybe try somewhere different.
As an update. They are giving me a new/remanufactured Jasper Transmission. It has a 100k mile warranty so I guess that seems ok. In fact I would trust this transmission more than if they had rebuilt mine. I'm supposed to pick it up today.
I've been driving my 68 Falcon to work every day and boy do I miss the comfort of the jeep. I love my falcon but it rides like a tank and on houston roads thats not a good thing. (BuMpY!)

superacerc
02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I did get the XK back last week before I went on vacation. I didn't drive it (saved me 400 dollars in gas) to colorado. I wish I had it there though. We got almost 6 inches on wed night which made my car pretty useless. I didn't bother driving it much when there was snow on the roads. My parents flew up there and rented a 4x4 liberty.
Thoughts on Liberty: Very heavy steering. Needs alot of skinny pedal to get it moving. At 10k feet it was wheezing like a wounded dog. My Jetta had some power loss too but the turbo just worked xtra hard to shove in more air and still was a blast to drive in the twisties. I do like the ability to turn off the 4wd on the liberty.
Pics:
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/02/IMG_2942-1.jpg
Continental Divide! East meets West
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/02/20110218120516-1.jpg
Town of Breckenridge as seen from 12900 Feet
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/02/IMG00343201102161211-1.jpg
The last lift to the top. You had to take 3 different lifts to get to the top.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/02/IMG00338201102141015-1.jpg
The ridge on the very top of Breckenridge. Not very wide up there. You had to hike/ski from the lift to get to this point! What a view
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/02/IMG00342201102161208-1.jpg

Matt
02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
I love Breck. ... can't wait to get out west again!

Best ridge I've ever been on was the hike to drop in on the backside of Blackcomb glacier (Whistler). That hike actually had me a bit nervous!