PDA

View Full Version : Knock Sensor Lost Communication

WanderingTs
02-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Well I have been getting a DOTC code for a couple of weeks. Thanks to resources found right here on XK-Forum I was able to read the code and find out it meant the engine knock sensor had lost communication with the computer.

I figured this wasn't worth taking the Commander out of service yet since I had things planned. Next thing I know the "Service four wheel drive system" is lit up in the display as well as the check engine light.

This made a trip to the dealer more important. I just got the dreaded results call. Some animal, bigger than a mouse, but smaller than a racoon (probably squirrel), had gotten very unhappy with my engine. I haven't been able to see the damage yet, but per the dealer there are claw marks as well as paw prints and teeth marks. The wiring harness to the knock sensor is shredded. They also said there is potentially more damage they can't see under the intake manifold. They are speculating the animal may have gotten stuck in there and shredded things trying to get out. It is apparently not your normal wiring insulation chew job. Thank goodness for comprehensive insurance as the repair estimate was minimum $500, maybe up to $1000 (or more) depending on additional damage found. Most of this they said was due to the labor of pulling the intake.

The 4X4 system service was a faulty electric motor in the transfer case (I am not sure what exactly this is, I will have to pin the service guy down when I go pick it up.) That is being covered by the extended warranty I bought with the Jeep.

This is my first real service needed so I hope to have good things to report when I get it back. I only have 22K miles so here is hoping the rest goes smooth.

Anyone else had squirrel issues? I have had mouse issues with other vehicles and remedied that with bait glue gunned to the engine compartment, but I have no idea how to keep squirrels out.

Sal-XK
02-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Thats a little crazy. Maybe it crawled up there on a cold night looking to keep warm or something. Not sure a tech and tell the difference between a mouse and a squirrel marks. Or do they have the critter or whats left of it? It could been a rat as well. Lets us know how it goes.

WanderingTs
02-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Update from the insurance adjuster -

Total cost of the new wiring bundle to the knock sensor = $61.00
Overnight shipping to save the insurance company from having to rent me a car = $9.00
Total cost of the labor to put the wiring bundle in, including pulling the top half of the engine for access = about $1,000
Lucky me for having good comprehensive insurance coverage, total out of pocket = $100
Needless to say if this wasn't covered by insurance I would have rerouted the wires and done this differently.

Total cost if the other wiring harness next to the one that was damaged had also been damaged, which would have required them to pull the dash also = $4,000 to $6,000. Per the insurance adjuster this type pf damage is so common this time of year the adjusters just pay it, they don't even go out to inspect it. (Same for catalytic convertor theft.)

So all this was due to some little varmint who just wanted to live inside my Commander. It is a pretty awesome vehicle, can I really blame it?

WanderingTs
02-19-2011, 10:23 PM
I picked up the Jeep and all is now well.

The only interesting update was the failure of the electric motor attached to the front transfer case. Apparently this electric motor turns a gear in the transfer case to engage 4 low. The computer told the dealer the motor had a failure. When they actuated the motor, per the tech, it made a grinding sound. They pulled the electrical connector to start the troubleshooting there and transfer case fluid came out of the electrical connector. The seal between the motor and the fluid portion of the transfer case had failed and the inside of the electric motor was filled with transfer case fluid. Glad that didn't happen out on a trail somewhere.

When the failure happened I was at a red signal light. I was not attempting to shift to four low, and was in drive. While at idle, the Jeep had a total electrical failure and the engine died. I smelled an electric smell. I restarted it to get me to a parking lot where it went into limp home mode (4th). I let it sit for a minute and restarted it to try and troubleshoot. Nothing appeared wrong except the "service 4wd system" trouble light.

Sal-XK
02-19-2011, 11:36 PM
I agree on the gas thing. I went to myrtle beach this weekend took the wifes car. We can get to the beach and home on barely a half a tank, the XK would of needed gas for sure on the way home. But I miss my jeep but since were in a resort instead camping on the beach we didn't need it. This is what I woke up to this morning

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/02/100_4050JPG-1.jpg