PDA

View Full Version : Insurance money to pay for new bumper?

Spigot
02-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Hey all,
A few weeks ago i smashed my rear bumper into a parked trailer. (blind spot) I was looking online and am figuring a OEM replacement bumper is going to set me back around $1300 ( w/ painting & mounting)

My question is does anyone know if i can use the money i would get from my insurance to help me purchase a aftermarket bumper? I really want one of Docs. Is this even legal? The last thing i want to do is defraud my insurance in any way.

As always, thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Sal-XK
02-15-2011, 04:46 AM
I've heard it go both ways before. Sometimes the insurance company just cuts you a check for the cost of fixing it which then its up to you. Sometimes they want you to get the work done by certain shops which kinda limits what you can do. I would think as long as it doesn't cost them any more then your good just ask them to give you the money for it and see what they say. I'm sure Don knows for sure maybe he will swing in.

NeilSmith
02-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Sal is right. Sometimes they are ok with it but they wont stand behind a repair warranty.

LWM
02-15-2011, 10:02 AM
I just had progressive issue me a check for the damages less my deductable and then I can take my vehicle anywhere I want for the repairs. I would just ask your insurance company as I am betting they do the same thing.

Spigot
02-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Just wanted to post an update. Farmers was good to work with. The guy came out to my house with 48 hours of calling, looked over the damage, and even wrote me a check on the stop to replace my bumper. (minus Deductible)

FYI- the going rate to replace the rear bumper is $1400!

Sal-XK
02-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Awesome so depending on your deductible mine is only $100 you can for sure get a nice steel one made up and maybe have some change left over.

Spigot
02-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Awesome so depending on your deductible mine is only $100 you can for sure get a nice steel one made up and maybe have some change left over.

Well, that'd be nice, but my deductible is $500. :-( So, not so much, I have to come up with a few more $. I have some stuff that I should post in the "For Sale" section. I need to get around to doing that.

I did get a hold of Doc though, with an updated price quote for the rear bumper. Now, all I need to work on is getting a few more people wanting to spend some tax return money on a rear bumper so I can get the group buy price. Any takers?

Sal-XK
02-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I wish I could get the rear bumper but already dropped a grand in armor and the wife needs tires and a battery now. How bad is the damage to the rear? you should have enough for the front bumper DOC just needs a donor XK to build one.

Spigot
02-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I wish I could get the rear bumper but already dropped a grand in armor and the wife needs tires and a battery now. How bad is the damage to the rear? you should have enough for the front bumper DOC just needs a donor XK to build one.

It's not bad at all, its enough to get a replacement, but it is split on on the driver side...about a 4 inches. I am totally down to use it to get a front bumper, Denver is a little far away from Doc to donate my XK. I would totally be down with that though.

Sal-XK
02-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I agree I think the front bumper is more important the the rear and should be done first. I would love to get one myself so hopefully someone can get Doc an XK

LWM
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM
If someone wants to hire Doc to build a bumper I will donate my Commander for this project. I will sell my Get Lost bumper if someone wants it and buy a Stone Soup Metal Works bumper and if no body wants a Get Lost bumper Doc can just put it back on if he is interested.

Spigot
02-20-2011, 09:20 PM
If someone wants to hire Doc to build a bumper I will donate my Commander for this project. I will sell my Get Lost bumper if someone wants it and buy a Stone Soup Metal Works bumper and if no body wants a Get Lost bumper Doc can just put it back on if he is interested.

Has Doc given any information on how much a front bumper would cost?

How much would money would it take for you to part with your Get Lost? I'm just trying to weight my options...I still want a rear bumper... lol

LWM
02-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Has Doc given any information on how much a front bumper would cost?

How much would money would it take for you to part with your Get Lost? I'm just trying to weight my options...I still want a rear bumper... lol

I cannot say what Doc would charge as he will have to do some R & D first but my personnal guess is around $1,000 plus shipping, I would part with my GetLost for $800 plus shipping as there is nothing wrong with it and I have no reason to remove it other than to help with the R & D for the Doc's version.

If you wanted it and you were coming to WC Camp Commander I could transport for free or you could road trip to Phoenix is guess.

Spigot
02-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I cannot say what Doc would charge as he will have to do some R & D first but my personnal guess is around $1,000 plus shipping, I would part with my GetLost for $800 plus shipping as there is nothing wrong with it and I have no reason to remove it other than to help with the R & D for the Doc's version.

If you wanted it and you were coming to WC Camp Commander I could transport for free or you could road trip to Phoenix is guess.

I so want to, but I think ill get the rear bumper first. Maybe I'll let my wife drive the XK, then when she runs it into something, I'll work on getting a DOC front bumper to match. Thanks for the offer though. I appreciate you willing to help me out. :-)