PDA

View Full Version : "New Posts" search

Matt
02-23-2011, 04:25 AM
I noticed that threads I have read or replied in won't show up in "new posts"... so i guess there's a setting that eliminates them from the "new posts" search?

Is there a settings option to make all threads show up in "new posts" even if i've read or replied in them?

Sal-XK
02-23-2011, 05:12 AM
I've asked about that as well, I think he is working on it. When you hit whats new and it says nothing is new it should say clikc here to see posts from the last day or something like that.

LWM
02-23-2011, 07:10 AM
I have yet to find the fix for this, "whats new" shows you what is new to you, the only think I see to avoid that is to click the "forum" button and then you can select any of the folders that show unread posts. I will not stop looking for a fix however.

07JeepXK
02-24-2011, 04:12 PM
I sort of like how the "other" forum shows the new posts at the bottom left side of the forum page. It makes it easier to keep up on everything new that is going on instead of having to search through each sub section. I know the new posts page on this forum is sort of the same thing but just seems easier the other way. Also if you post in that thread it doesnt disappear. It goes right to the top since it has a new post.

Matt
07-22-2011, 07:28 AM
I can't find the thread where I posted pictures showing what we were describing here.... but I wanted to point out that the forum I used in the example has just switched over to the same forum software that we're using here, and they have it working... so it must be possible :confused:

To recap:
On this forum, if you click "whats new" or "new posts" and read one of the threads, and then click "whats new" or "new posts" again, the thread does not show up.

On other forums, if you click "whats new" or "new posts" and read one of the threads, and then click "whats new" or "new posts" again, the thread is still in the list in chronological order, but it goes from being bold font to regular font indicating that there hasn't been any changes in the thread since you last read it.

Here's the reference i'm using: http://184.172.224.209/~wwwfulls/forum/search.php?searchid=1695654

Matt
07-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Also, as a suggestion an interim (or maybe complete) fix for this could be to add a link under the "What's New" tab...

The current options are:
New Group Messages
New Events
New Articles
New Blog Entries
Mark Forums Read

... if we add in a link that's "All new posts for past 24 Hrs" that would pretty much solve the issue. Then we could click "New posts" and see only whats absolutely "new" for each of us (in other words you don't see threads that you already read), but still have the ability to see "all" threads that have been updated in the past 24 hours, regardless of if you've read them or not.

That's pretty much what i've been doing with a few extra steps. When i click "whats new" and/or "new posts" and there's only 2 or 3 threads that I havent read, I have to click "mark forums read", then click "whats new" and then an error message comes up saying there are no new posts and "You may search for posts updated during the previous 24 hours, here".

Holaday07 4.7
07-22-2011, 08:19 AM
^^ That is one thing about this forum that is not my favorite. I look at something, but if I dont respond right away I will forget about it. I think it would be a bennifit to have those remain, or just an active topics/ and seperate new post tabs. I don't know if that is hard or not, or costs money, but it is my $.02

Matt
07-22-2011, 08:22 AM
^^ That is one thing about this forum that is not my favorite. I look at something, but if I dont respond right away I will forget about it.

Exactly... there have been a lot of occassions where i have read a thread and not responded right away. Then when i want to go back and respond, i can't find the thread especially if its not in the specific forum that i think it should have been posted in. In that case i usually have to do that multiple step method of viewing threads from the past 24 hrs.

Or, i just forget about the thread altogether... and then it pops up again after someone else posts and i say "oh crap, i forgot about that thread and wanted to respond"

Sal-XK
07-25-2011, 05:05 AM
I would like the change as well. Keep in mind WCCC is going on right now so don't expect Jon to tackle this anytime soon. Also when changes are made Jon has to pay the web dude to make the changes. I know hoax offered to help a little I'm not sure what ever happened with all that.

LWM
07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
I do not know how to fix it, if anyone wants to give it a shot let me know. My web guy could not igure it out either.

Matt
07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Could you add in the other "whats new" link we suggested? One that would show all updated threads in the past 24 hours? That shouldn't be too difficult (i dont think) considering the site already does it for you if you don't have any "new" threads to see...

Matt
10-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Since the member list has been growing, figured i'd bump this. Turns out there were a few new members who have been meaning to bring this up.

LWM
10-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Since the member list has been growing, figured i'd bump this. Turns out there were a few new members who have been meaning to bring this up.

I don't know how to change it.

Holaday07 4.7
10-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Is there another forum that uses this setup? They might be able to assist.

Matt
10-26-2011, 07:13 AM
I don't know how to change it.

I know. I figure if we keep the topic active someone may eventually post up "the fix".

Is there another forum that uses this setup? They might be able to assist.

Ill shoot a PM to the full-size chevy forum I'm on... they're using the same software and have it all set up so maybe they can help me out.

LWM
10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Ill shoot a PM to the full-size chevy forum I'm on... they're using the same software and have it all set up so maybe they can help me out.

That would be great, I am sure it is just a matter of turning something on or off but I have tried everything and I am missing the correct combination.

Matt
10-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Jon.... is the web guy working on this right now?

I just realized that a few threads aren't disappearing from the "new posts" after i read them... like the Battlefield 3 thread; i clicked on it a few times and it still shows up in the search.

Sal-XK
10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Mine still disappear.

Matt
10-27-2011, 06:34 PM
hmm... wonder if my computers doing something funny with the cookies- maybe not recording any new ones because the file's full.

Matt
10-27-2011, 06:40 PM
just cleared my cookies and browser history... no change. There's a few threads there that aren't going away after i read them.

Sal-XK
10-27-2011, 06:50 PM
just cleared my cookies and browser history... no change. There's a few threads there that aren't going away after i read them.

I'm on my phone not sure that makes a difference

LWM
10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
I wonder if it is in the personal settings set up?

Matt
10-28-2011, 04:32 AM
I went through all of the personal settings and didn't see anything....

Matt
11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Had an idea today... there's a vB support forum and look what i found:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/376480-quot-New-Posts-quot-to-show-new-posts-in-bold-and-read-posts-in-regular-font?highlight=posts

LWM
11-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Okay. I will forward this to the WebGuy for implementation.

accidentally posted in the vB Forum. :)

07JeepXK
11-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Hopefully he can figure it out!