PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices

Sal-XK
02-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Gas prices here are $3.40 now with them expected to hit $5.00 by summer :mad:. The government doesn't think and has said they don't expect this to derail the economic recovery at all. :confused: This will also raise the prices of all our necessities like milk bread and stuff we have to purchase to live. These guys are so clueless at least in my case. I'm already scaling down my summer trips to help with the cost of traveling. I usually go to Uwharrie several times and the beach several times a summer with other side trips in between that. If gas does hit $5.00 a gallon I will be spending more time at home this summer.

What does everyone else think about it? Are your guys altering your plans strictly because of gas prices?

WanderingTs
02-27-2011, 12:56 PM
What does everyone else think about it? Are your guys altering your plans strictly because of gas prices?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I have been thinking about this specifically related to Camp Commander. It is over 1100 miles for me to Camp Commander.

1100 miles at 10 miles to the gallon (towing trailer) is 110 gallons of gas.
$1.50 per gallon increase makes $165 extra, one way.
This doesn't include running around gas, side trips, etc.
For an already stretched budget, tacking an extra $300 to $400 plus to the trip may make or break it.

Recently, I have local weekend trips where I decided to drive the car rather than the Jeep. That was purely a gas decision as the XK is vastly more comfortable and would have allowed side trips while there. I decided I would rather have the $100 difference to play with while there than spend it on gas.
(XK = 13mpg not towing vs. Hyundai = 30+mpg)

NeilSmith
02-27-2011, 01:10 PM
The economic downturn that we are in now started with rising gas prices, up over $4 per gallon around here. The price of oil will rise, just like everything else. Its called inflation and its unavoidable. If it happens over an extended time frame then it is a lot easier to absorb. When it happens all of a sudden is when things really get tight. Our government has had over 100 years to either find a way to become self sufficient and support our need for oil or find an alternative. They have done neither. Not only do I need to buy gas like everyone else, but I also work in the automotive industry. When gas prices rise , people dont drive as much. As stated above, you guys are gonna pull back a bit when it comes to unnecessary travel. When the cars aren't on the road, there aren't as many accidents. I'm sorry to say it, but my livelihood depends on vehicle accidents.

CT-riverrat
02-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Yup, gas prices definitely have affected our summer plans. No outer banks trip for us this year. I'm going to miss Surf City! On subject, but off. I have been averaging 11.6 MPG around town. What do you guys get for highway MPG?

Sal-XK
02-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Inflation is one thing but this surge is caused by the turmoil over there. We could be pressuring the Saudi to pump more oil to stabilize prices or drill more oil here as well. But they don't think these prices will effect what little recovery were seeing right now. Oh well, I'm seeing about 13MPG around town. I was never concerned about are lake of fuel efficientcy but if the prices hit $5 in June it will cost us an extra $32 a tank then it did in February. That's $32 a week more for me to go to work plus increases in food prices. I guess the house will be seeing more work done this summer then planned.

superacerc
02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Definitely affects our decisions in what to drive. If gas keeps going up you can bet my Suzuki 650 dualsport will see some extra miles.

strokeZ
02-27-2011, 07:21 PM
The issue is really one of speculation on the oil traders bench. They see turmoil, they immediately try to capture arbitrage opportunities (buy cheap, hold, sell high) and that immediateley drives the prices up. When things calm they will continue to hold thier position and keep prices from falling as quickly as they rose. It happens every time. I am getting 13-14 city and 16-17 hwy. Libya mostly supplies Europe (mostly Italy), but there is likely to be a fall off effect. Supply is plentiful however our hold on gulf drilling is putting us into a very vunerable position globally.

I only have a 7 min ride to work, but you can bet that my Z4 will be getting driven more often (25/32 gas mileage).

LWM
02-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Planning to stay home this summer (except Camp Commander) if gas prices continue to rise.

My smart gets 40 MPG so local stuff is doable, but out of town trips will have to be the wife's car or they will not happen.

Sal-XK
02-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Based on the response here my point is validated. The recent rise in gas prices will cause a double dip recession. Proving the Feds once a gain have no clue on what the people are thinking.

WanderingTs
02-28-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't think they can be as stupid as to not know, I just think they are willing to accept the consequences because it won't affect them. In their thinking we (the people) need to be told what is best for us, and that is not to use so much gas. They think it is a lesson we should learn and if that means it hurts the economy too, so be it.

txbajacommander
03-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Based on the response here my point is validated. The recent rise in gas prices will cause a double dip recession. Proving the Feds once a gain have no clue on what the people are thinking. No clue what people are thinking, or what it takes to get by. they need to get in touch with reality. In Tx the power companies are adding a sur charge on the bill because it cost more to opperate their vehicles. I don't get to charge more per hour for my work. Why should we have to pay it?

Sal-XK
03-03-2011, 07:55 PM
No clue what people are thinking, or what it takes to get by. they need to get in touch with reality. In Tx the power companies are adding a sur charge on the bill because it cost more to opperate their vehicles. I don't get to charge more per hour for my work. Why should we have to pay it?

exactly we don't get more per hour when are costs go up just to get to work or feed our selves so we can work. But everything we buy goes up to cover the extra costs. If anyone thinks this won't throw the fragile economy backwards there insane. But I don't see any major help coming are way at least until we get a new president and if we get stuck with this dude for another 4 years then were just not going to get any help anytime soon I guess.

Matt
03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't like talking politics at all... so i'll keep this comment short and to the point. I very much doubt we'll have a 2nd term of the current President. The PROBLEM however will be just like what got us into this mess (the reason he was elected); hopefully his "opponent" is a worthwhile candidate... otherwise we'll have another President in office that was only voted in because people were voting "against" someone, rather than "for" someone (this is one of the reasons im EMPHATICALLY against the "get out and vote" campains.... i don't want idiots voting just for the sake of "voting"... people should only vote if they know what they're voting for- which is another whole discussion).

damnit... i can't believe im posting this. it's against all of my "personal" forum rules because i try not being "that guy"

Sal-XK
03-04-2011, 04:18 AM
damnit... i can't believe im posting this. it's against all of my "personal" forum rules because i try not being "that guy"

LMAO, thats funny dude and I agree to a point. I'm not sticking up for one party or the other, actually I'm pretty upset with both sides of the aisle right now. Trying to keep the discussion in general terms because the system as a whole is broken not just one party or the other.

Matt
03-04-2011, 05:13 AM
\ the system as a whole is broken not just one party or the other.

x100000000000000000000000000000000000000 :)

NeilSmith
03-04-2011, 05:46 AM
Personally, I wouldn't say the system is broken, rather the system is abused and taken advantage of. Many politicians begin their career meaning well but once they become familiar with the system they begin looking out for number one ( themselves ) and lining their pockets at the expense of their constituants. They do not live in reality, thats for damn sure.

ScorpionCrawler
03-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Well.... I guess I'm not conforming here. No I'm not altering summer plans because of gas prices.
Though gas prices are forecasted to go to $5 per gallon, it really isn't changing what we as a family do or are planning for the summer.
I guess I won't be controlled by the costs and I will spend the money for gas and love every minute I spend doing what we love to do.
This may sound a bit OFF but... that is exactly what our leader wants, they want us to hurt, they want us to hurt bad, they want us in rice burners. They want the control.
Look this problem isn't a shortage of supply. If the gov't wanted to help people they could easily repeal all the gas taxes, they could have been and still drilling more in the gulf and help out the PEOPLE in Alaska. But that doesn't help their ultimate goal, control, and government dependancy.

Now that I am done with my little rant, Yes, I'm sure there will be ways that we cut back, which ultimately trickles down to everything, but it won't be on gas.

Our plans for this summer are actually a road trip to our farthest destination west, Huntington Beach Ca,(my son is going to learn to surf). As I have stated on this and another forum, we had a goal for my son, and that was for him to see the lower 48 states before he graduated from high school. 7 states left and the cost of gas won't determine what we do or how far we go.
At the same time we aren't going in debt doing this. This summer the sates we are checking off are Arizona, Nevada and California, leaving Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washinton for next year.
Then he goes off to college :(

Maybe I'm just sticking it to the MAN!!

Looking back I really love this country and it's beauty.
I have no ambitions to travel outside the US just because there is so much here that I love and don't think most people appreciate.
The people we have met around this country are great! Not uncommon for us as a family to talk about the people that have touched our lives, from a artist in NM, a Lakota Indian in SD, a shrimper in SC, a park ranger in ME, this list could go on and that has prompted me to start to build that list along with a list of states my XK has been in.

So I guess look for me driving around as usual this summer. My XK may have (3) kayaks on top or loaded full of baseball gear. That's what we do......... Nothing is stopping it, other than a natural disaster....
HAVE FUN OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!
:)

Sal-XK
03-08-2011, 07:10 AM
You could look at this way, the less gas I buy the less money the government has to spend :) I will no suffer or conform but I will take a little comfort in the fact that I will pay less taxes this summer because I won't spend as much money as I normally due.

ScorpionCrawler
03-08-2011, 07:33 AM
You could look at this way, the less gas I buy the less money the government has to spend

Look, your sticking it to the MAN as well.

Keep in mind, they WILL ALWAYS GET YOUR MONEY, That's what they do, they never seem to need less and the more dependancy the more they need.

LWM
03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Our plans for this summer are actually a road trip to our farthest destination west, Huntington Beach Ca,(my son is going to learn to surf).

You should plan a day at Camp Commander!

ScorpionCrawler
03-09-2011, 05:35 AM
You should plan a day at Camp Commander!

That isn't out of the question. We are still planning our loop, either we go thru Colorado on the way to destinations west or on the return part of our loop.
Still working thru the details, with my travel agent,(wife).

jay in nb
03-23-2011, 04:29 PM
You guys south are lucky, here in Canada Gas today is at $1.22 per litre so $4.88 a gallon and its just going to go up from here, realy crappy seing i get maybe 400KM per tank if im lucky.

Brandon1024
03-24-2011, 08:06 AM
I'd like to be where you are prices by me are averaging 3.75. I'm currently getting 13.2 city (don't do much highway) All winter I was getting 10.2 but then I got a Super 44 put on and it kicked it up. Might be a good investment to some. Pays itself off pretty fast.

Sal-XK
03-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I'd like to be where you are prices by me are averaging 3.75. I'm currently getting 13.2 city (don't do much highway) All winter I was getting 10.2 but then I got a Super 44 put on and it kicked it up. Might be a good investment to some. Pays itself off pretty fast.

he is talking in kilometers he actually paying $1.13 more per gallon then you are. you need to get a garage thread as well and post some pics. :)