PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Road 2.25" Lift

LWM
06-15-2010, 08:40 AM
There are many great lifts out there for the Jeep Commander. I installed the Rocky Road lift within 6 months of ownership so I cannot even tell you what the OEM ride was like but then I cannot miss it either. The Rocky Road lift for the Commander costs between $200 and $400 depending on your shock options. The lift is available at the following link: http://www.rocky-road.com/commander.html

(photo of lift kit to be added)

There are several benifits to a lift for those who intend to take your Commander off-road, the biggest of course is the additional ground clearance. One of the other benifits with this lift is that it levels out the Commander and you no longer have the front end looking lower than the back end (front end rake).

(photo of level Commander to be added)

This is a do it yourself (DIY) project but I strongly recommend you get a couple of buddies to help you out, we all know those guys who will help you work on your vehicle for a cold beer or two (but you need to check to see that they tightened the bolts ;) )

You do not need any specialty tools to instal this lift but I would suggest that you go to your local auto parts store and see if they offer the free tool rental (you pay a fee but get your money back when you return the tool), then pick up a coil spring compresser. You do not need it, but the job will be a LOT easier with one.

Do the back first just in case you cannot finish the job in one day, you will still be able to drive and you will not have to worry about the front end being up in the air or running around with your front wheels out of allignment. And yes, that means after the lift is installed you will have to get your front end alligned.

Adondo
06-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Here's a link to my album. I took photos as I installed my Rocky Road 2.25 kit.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1160325/2066900

s52e368
07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
compared to the redesigned RC/BDS kit is the RR's extra .25" worth the addtional costs? perhaps someone can chime in as to the leveling also.

Adondo- your link is bad.

Sal-XK
07-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I believe the most popular lift right now for the XK is the RC 2". It levels out the rig real nice and the spacers are steel.

07JeepXK
07-17-2010, 06:32 PM
compared to the redesigned RC/BDS kit is the RR's extra .25" worth the addtional costs? perhaps someone can chime in as to the leveling also.

What did BDS do to redesign their kits?

BDS has been using steel front and rear spacers since the lift came out.

brendon
08-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I believe the most popular lift right now for the XK is the RC 2". It levels out the rig real nice and the spacers are steel.

The new version of the Rocky Road kit also has steel spacers in the rear after a number of people (including myself) had the poly spacers blow out. Note: if you are have issues with the rear poly spacers contact Rocky Road and they will most likely send you the new steel spacers under warranty

WanderingTs
08-26-2010, 11:19 PM
I have been running the all metal Rocky Road Kit for about a year now with no problems. While I will admit to much drooling over the higher lifts out there (you know who you are El Cid), the money was right for Rocky Road. I think it was a great choice while leaving funds left over for other neccessary things such as skidplates and tires to go with the lift.

LWM
08-27-2010, 10:59 AM
I have the metal parts in the garge for when my poly spacers fail, but so far I have been one of the lucky ones and everything is working well.

07JeepXK
08-30-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm surprised that you have made it this long without those poly spacers failing. I think that confirms that your XK is a mall crawler.....lol jk

Sal-XK
08-30-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm surprised that you have made it this long without those poly spacers failing. I think that confirms that your XK is a mall crawler.....lol jk

That's funny right there I don't care who you are thats funny. LMAO

IamJEEP
08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
^^^^^^^^LOL^^^^^^^^^

I also have this kit with the metal spacers and love it, I did not go with thier shocks tho. I have had no issues so far in the "mall crawler" status. One day when I grow up and take this thing off roading, I will find out how good this kit really is. LOL.

06blkhemi
10-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm thinking about "Pulling the trigger" on one of these,and will probably get the shocks also. The lift isn't any good if the shocks can't extend far enough for better articulation.. No problem with getting the front end aligned properly after the install,should I get their adjustable Ball Joints when I order the kit ? I'm going to be running the stock 245x65x17s for the time being..

Frank

LWM
10-11-2010, 10:37 PM
If you have the extra cash for the ball joints you might want to consider them. Nobody has purchased the RR ones yet so there are no reviews. The heavy duty ones sold on this forum have been tested with good results.

There is a RR lift with shocks in the buy sell on the "other" forum as well.

06blkhemi
10-12-2010, 03:59 PM
You happen to have a link to the HD ball joints that you speak of?
Frank..

LWM
10-12-2010, 04:09 PM
You happen to have a link to the HD ball joints that you speak of?
Frank..

Yes, Click Here! (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/209-HD-UCA-s)

Adondo
10-13-2010, 09:58 AM
I replaced my poly spacers a couple weeks ago. I got just about a year out of them. I have to say RR is great on customer service. I called them about the squished spacer, and they sent a set of the heavy metal upgrades free, freight and all. They just wanted me to email a photo of the bad spacer.

One argument I have about going with ''only'' a 2.25'' lift is nothing really has to be done. You get too radical with a lift, then you're into replacing steering arms, suspension links, sway-bar links, and whatever else due to strain on everything. U-joints croak out early because they're working at too steep an angle. On 4x4's I've been involved in for radical lifting, the transfer case needs to be dropped to level out the drive shafts among other things. And even then, you sometimes end up with bump-steer problems.

06blkhemi
10-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Well,I ended up a totally different way ! I went with the Rough Country lift, got them for $169 shipped.. The only thing with these lifts you really don't gain any performance with them,articulation is one of them. You can just fit a little larger tire for increased ground clearance that's about it. If the XK came from the factory with a solid axle that would make it totally a better froader,but you would give up the comfy ride..

07JeepXK
10-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure I totally agree with you. Between the 2 inch BDS spacer lift and larger tires I gained a little over 3 inches at the belly of the XK. Thats a huge difference when off roading. I take my XK on trails that a stock Commander wouldnt ever be able to go on without ripping parts off the bottom. If you have the right setup u can still articulate pretty well with a spacer lift. You cant compare it to the articulation of a solid axle but im sure you get my point.

06blkhemi
10-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure I totally agree with you. Between the 2 inch BDS spacer lift and larger tires I gained a little over 3 inches at the belly of the XK. Thats a huge difference when off roading. I take my XK on trails that a stock Commander wouldnt ever be able to go on without ripping parts off the bottom. If you have the right setup u can still articulate pretty well with a spacer lift. You cant compare it to the articulation of a solid axle but im sure you get my point.

I totally get what your sayin,what saves the XK with the lack of articulation is with the electric limited slips,you get that traction to the wheel that's on the ground. I'm sure you can get better articulation with Swaybar Discos front and rear and properly bump stop it . BTW how much do those Wrangler MT/R howl and suck down the gas mileage?

Frank

07JeepXK
10-14-2010, 04:26 AM
There actually not all that loud. They do have a little noise to them but no where near as loud as Super Swampers and other mud tires on the market. As far as gas mileage, I usually get 12-13 mpg city and 16-17 mpg highway.

fco27
07-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Hey guys I had a question so does the RRoad lift level the commander or do you have to buy the additional 9/16 spacer for the front?

JustinS
07-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Mine isn't level, you'll need an additional spacer up front.

fco27
07-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Ok thank you

Matt
07-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Get the Rough Country kit.

07JeepXK
07-22-2013, 05:02 PM
The rough country is better than rocky road in my opinion

pjmjr508
07-22-2013, 05:22 PM
x3
If your going to go with a BB lift, a RC one is of the best. Ran one for over a year with out a single issue with it.

JustinS
07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
The rough country is better than rocky road in my opinion

What is the difference? (besides the need for slightly more front lift....just means the jeep levels out when you're packed down heavy)

BonesWK
07-23-2013, 05:16 AM
RC seems to have been the choice for many. More well known brand etc. If they had the WK lift when I bought I would have gone with them.

But I have ran my RRO lift for 4 years (60k) and I have zero complaints. Most complaints about RRO is their customer service (not sure how they are now) but I bought mine from a local dude so no issues with that.

Edit: Mine seems level, if its off it on the back side by half an inch. Maybe time to look at new spacers or new springs back there

07JeepXK
07-23-2013, 04:04 PM
What is the difference? (besides the need for slightly more front lift....just means the jeep levels out when you're packed down heavy)

Just a better brand, better lift. Makes the jeep sit level (if that's a concern to you).

Not a big fan of rocky road. I don't like the quality of their parts.

fco27
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
I guess RC is the way to go if I want to make sure it levels. Thank you guys.