PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you guys think

Sal-XK
03-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Ok so the bumper is chopped and the running boards are warped and the wheel flares are scratched along with the rocker panel now LOL. So I was thinking about painting the bottom of the XK with some type of protective paint like bed liner or something hard like that. I did a quick photo shop to get an idea of what it will look like. So I would like to get your guys opinion as well. So let it rip be honest about any part of this mod from paint suggestions to color, or if ya think its ugly just sound off.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/03/101_3451JPG-1.jpg

LWM
03-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Personally I think that would have been an awesome option from the showroom, I would like to see it if it looks anything like the picture.

NeilSmith
03-17-2011, 06:55 PM
I like the idea. HueyPilot did it and it looked nice. His doesnt show up as much because his Jeep is dk. green. First thing I would do is remove those go-to-hell running boards and get the rocker guards. Then bed line everything. I would do it with black. the black will also make the XK look as though it sits a little higher. The problem is that I have used several do-it-yourself bed liner kits and am not impressed with them. I have used the SEM, 3M, and Raptor Liner. In my opinion they are not thick enough, dont get hard enough, and they tend to peel off too easily. I dont know if you can get some Line-X or Rhino Liner for do-it-yourself application but I would check into it. The main thing to remember no matter which product you use is that the prep work will make or break the job. Follow the instructions to the T and it should come out just fine.

Sal-XK
03-18-2011, 09:41 AM
I saw HueyPilots thread on doing his bumpers I planned on following his steps to do mine. But I didn't see that he did his complete bottom of the jeep. I haven't found any threads of people doing the rocker panels and such. So is the procedure the same on the rocker panels as it is on the plastic bumpers?

urbancrawler
03-18-2011, 11:06 AM
I like the look, I did it to my 91 XJ and as soon as I did it, I started seeing copycats-so I assume it looked good to other people as well.

txbajacommander
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
I like it too, I'd also say go with black.

Sal-XK
03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Ya I'm settled on the black for sure now. Huey has a great right up on the plastic bumpers, any advise on the rocker panels or is the procedure about the same on the sheet metal.

jay in nb
03-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I think it looks cool.

NeilSmith
03-20-2011, 01:18 PM
The same for the rockers. Just make sure you get them scuffed up good. The pros sand the paint with like 220 grit or even 180 grit paper. That is way too rough to do a traditional paint job which would be like 500 grit or finer but the bed liner will cover those rougher scratches up easily. If you can get access to a compressor and a D.A. sander that would be the way to do it.

Sal-XK
03-20-2011, 02:36 PM
The same for the rockers. Just make sure you get them scuffed up good. The pros sand the paint with like 220 grit or even 180 grit paper. That is way too rough to do a traditional paint job which would be like 500 grit or finer but the bed liner will cover those rougher scratches up easily. If you can get access to a compressor and a D.A. sander that would be the way to do it.

Ok sounds like a plan then. I think I will add this to my winter mod list unless I get bored LOL.

IamJEEP
03-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Sal, that looks good. Just make sure to mask up all the door jams well so no overspray gets in there. Maybe while you're at it, you can shave the side moldings! :cool:

Sal-XK
03-23-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm assuming by shave you mean remove the side moldings? I'm still thinking about that not sure what to do there.

IamJEEP
03-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Yes, that is what I meant.

Sal-XK
03-24-2011, 09:23 PM
I was looking at it but not sure what to do. On one hand the plastic trim does provide a little extra protection as well. I really need to get rid of the running boards so I can see what that looks like but there actually providing me a ton of protection right now and I can't afford rock rails anytime soon.

NeilSmith
03-25-2011, 04:39 AM
I haven't seen one without the side moldings. Are there holes under there like the Grand Cherokee has ? They do provide some protection against door dings, that is the primary reason they are on there to begin with.

IamJEEP
03-25-2011, 07:46 AM
I believe they are mounted the same as the cherokee, but I dont know for sure.

I agree that it would be smarter to keep them (moldings) in place for protection, but the "Cool" factor would rise up if they were shaved. I have no plans of paint/body work in the near future or else I would of done it to mine.

IamJEEP
03-25-2011, 07:51 AM
P.S.......Either way I think it'll look unique and badass! Altho, it'll kinda look a bit like an older Exploder. Oops, was that my outside voice? Lol........=P

Sal-XK
03-25-2011, 12:04 PM
dude your not cool bro, you throw in the cool factor which all most makes it a mandatory mod.:cool: Then you compare it to a explorer really not cool bro:eek:

CmmdrDan
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
When will this be done Sal?

Sal-XK
03-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I'll probably tackle this one at the end of the season( November). I've already got about $1000 spent getting ready for this season of trail riding so I need to slow down. I also have some unfinished mods I need get to as well.