PDA

View Full Version : Front shock needed

jay in nb
03-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi all, i noticed a bit of clunking in the front and noticed that on even ground the front driver side is lower then the passenger side, messured half inch difference. I have no off road shop in the area and priced factory shocks at $115 to $160 each. I dont do any major off roading mostly pave and some dirt road and mud up at the cabin. I have a 2" lift and i have read that with the lift that factory shocks do not extend enought, is this true and would factory shocks work or not in my case? I'm in Canada and have to order in which i dont mind so if that is the case, part numbers and were to order from would be great if stock won't work.
Tks for any help P.S. looking to order roof rack and push bars and the first two places will not deliver here, anyone coming North for vacation and extra room to bring parts LOL.

Sal-XK
03-19-2011, 04:05 PM
try shock warehouse for starters there are two shock links found in the XK-parts link (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/541-Jeep-Commander-Parts-Links) You can also check out blisten shocks 5150 I believe the guys are running

jay in nb
03-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Also Ref stock, do they work with the lift or should i go with another type, its also what i am wondering? Do you know if people are running stock shocks without any issues, the part link has some but as just as expensive without shipping, do you know which should be better?

Sal-XK
03-19-2011, 07:38 PM
You shouldn't have any issues running the stock shocks at all. You just loose some wheel travel with them but thats it and unless your doing some extreme off roading the loss in wheel travel should go unnoticed. Getting the after market shocks or longer shocks can bring up issues that you would have to deal with as well. If price and shipping and stuff is a head ache sticking with the stock ones might be the way to go. I'm still running stock shocks and have no issues with them off and on the road.

jay in nb
03-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Great if you have no issues the fastest way to fix the problem will be stock for now, tks alote for the info!

Sal-XK
03-19-2011, 09:11 PM
No problem, The only reason to upgrade your shocks is if you don't like your stock ones. If you need a stiffer ride or your hauling a lot of weight all the time you might want to upgrade. Also if you plan on disconnecting your sway bar for off road use upgrading will increase wheel travel but limiting straps and longer brake lines would need to be added than. I know some guys really like the ride change they got from better quality shocks. But if you were satisfied with your stock ones and only changing them because they are worn out then you should be happy with replacing them with the stock ones again. Although you should see a ride change just from going from old and worn to new. Good luck let us know how things turned out.

jay in nb
03-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Will do, Tks for the help!