PDA

View Full Version : RK 3.5" Long arm kit questions

XK N00b
03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm considering this kit:

http://www.jackit.com/jeep/commander/xk_06-08.html#3.5

Having never had a lift on a vehicle before and no real additional info on the site...

1) How much of my wonderful extended warranty does this void?
2) Will I need longer brake lines/taller shocks?
3) Does anyone else use this lift and have any reviews/complaints?

2008 Limited QDII 5.7 Hemi
Only mod so far is the 2 screen strap-on DVD player for the back seat. If you've done a road trip with kids you know this is one of the best things ever.

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 04:49 AM
Hey bro based on your introduction off road addict. I would recommend the super lift 4" kit. But I would concentrate on getting you armor plating squared away first. The factory skids were an option so you need to check that you have them and not the plastic ones. Then 4xguard sells the armor to fill the gaps of the stock plates all the links can be found on the XK-Parts link found in my sig and your welcome message. If money is an issue the rough country 2" spacer lift is a great option to get you started on the trails while you purchase armor and save up for the SL. JBA UCA's will help with any lift you put on. I do not recommend going over 2" with out the front diff being lowered. Right now only the SL and rusty's 4" kit drop the diff to correct the CV angles and the JBA UCA's correct the ball joint angles.

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Also the warranty company has to prove that the lift caused the part to fail. So most of your warranty should be good. Your CV axles and suspension parts might not be covered anymore but they can't say your motor blew up because you lifted your jeep. Thats my understanding anyway. Oh and JBA UCA means Jeepin by Al Upper control arm. Any more questions feel free to ask

Additional comments

Ok was able to check that kit out. I wouldn't do it just based on the height alone without addressing the CV angles. Like I said earlier anything over 2" not addressing the CV angle is bad. The rough country will give you a solid 2" lift ($150) and a level ride bringing the nose up. This will allow a max of 32" tires with slight modification to the pinch weld and wheel well plastic. That combination will allow you to do some serious off road action. Gives you time to save up for the SL kit. But I would invest in the armor first.

XK N00b
03-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks, Sal. I've had the concern about going too high on IFS before because of the CV stress. I think I'll pull the trigger on the RC lift and see how it feels. As far as armor goes, I've got the T-case and fuel tank skids on already and they aren't the plastic ones ;) I like the belly guard and cut bumper you've got on your ride. I think I'll look into some rock skis under the rocker panels and maybe visit Doc's shop and see what he can do as far as bumpers go. The pics of Don's unfortunate wreck have sold me on Doc's workmanship.

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Make sure you grab the suspension skid as well then bro. Then add the 4xGuard stuff and you will be good to go. The 2" lift adds some angel to the CV but nothing to bad at all. When your ball joints where out grab the JBA UCA's you will need them anyway if you go any bigger and the ball joint is grease-able and can be replaced and it correct the angle of the ball joint as well so its a good upgrade. If you check out my youtube link in my sig you can see the 2" lift in action. Nothing like the stuff you lucky guys get to play on out there in AZ but I hit some decent stuff out here. If I lived anywhere near DOC I would be broke and in debt by now LOL

XK N00b
03-30-2011, 08:53 PM
I spent the evening last night neglecting the wife while watching your youtube channel waiting for my account to be activated so I could post the thread.

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Thats funny bro

XK N00b
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Just ordered the RC 2" lift. Should be here Monday or Tuesday, looks like I know what I'm doing next weekend. I assume I should schedule an alignment right after? Did you guys go in for one after the install?

Matt
04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Yup, you 100% need an alignment after the install.

REQUEST a printout of the alignment specs. They should adjust the camber/caster via the lower control arm. There was a member recently that went in for an alignment and they only adjusted the toe, but it was clear that they could have got the camber/caster within range if they tried.

Sal-XK
04-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Get your alignment done put some miles on it and check to make sure everything is still tight.

XK N00b
04-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Installed the Rough Country lift today. Things went pretty smooth. Did the front first, then rear. Got down to the very last bolt putting it back together and stripped the hell outta the bolt holding the upper rear sway bar mount to the frame. Had to re-tap the threads to get it back in. Other than that, I like it. :)

Sal-XK
04-15-2011, 10:40 PM
awesome man glad to hear it all went pretty good. After hearing some of night mare stories some have had tapping one thread ain't bad at all. WHERE ARE THE PICS :) Have you decided on what tires you're going to run.?

XK N00b
04-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Went out and played with it some today. Took some pictures... Heading out to dinner and I'll figure out how to post them soon. I'm going to keep the stock radials on for now, they still have a LOT of miles left on them, then probably some BFG All terrains.... I

XK N00b
04-16-2011, 06:56 PM
hmm last post got posted before I finished... I do have to say though that my wife was the first one to say out loud that "it needs bigger tires now, those just look wimpy" God, I love her. :D

Matt
04-16-2011, 06:57 PM
You know, you can always sell the stock wheels/tires. They're worth more while they still have tread....

XK N00b
04-17-2011, 01:34 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png
Before the lift

after

Front and rear fender to ground before lift

and AFTER

Brandon1024
04-17-2011, 08:17 PM
On the "other" forum the tester for JBA is selling his old lift which includes these along with 4 inch coils in the back. He has fenders off and all and claims to have run 35's with this lift. I dont see the possibility in that... If so I want this lift now.

07JeepXK
04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
On the "other" forum the tester for JBA is selling his old lift which includes these along with 4 inch coils in the back. He has fenders off and all and claims to have run 35's with this lift. I dont see the possibility in that... If so I want this lift now.

With the front and rear fender flares off you gain a lot of room for larger tires. The only issue is the area of the pinch weld. It would mostlikely have to be cut right out like we did on my buddy's 05 Grand Cherokee. I believe he is running 35's but I bet when he flexes it out he has rubbing issues.

Brandon1024
04-19-2011, 05:32 PM
With the front and rear fender flares off you gain a lot of room for larger tires. The only issue is the area of the pinch weld. It would mostlikely have to be cut right out like we did on my buddy's 05 Grand Cherokee. I believe he is running 35's but I bet when he flexes it out he has rubbing issues.
I find that really hard to believe still considering I just clear my pinch weld with 2.25 RR with .5 Rusty off raod strut spacer and im running 32's. I have been reading about this lift and from what I have been reading it doesnt actually give the whole 3.5 inches.

Sal-XK
04-19-2011, 05:57 PM
I find that really hard to believe still considering I just clear my pinch weld with 2.25 RR with .5 Rusty off raod strut spacer and im running 32's. I have been reading about this lift and from what I have been reading it doesnt actually give the whole 3.5 inches.

What are you having a hard time believing? that you could fit 35" with the 3.5" lift? Let me just say anything over 2" that don't drop the front diff is asking for trouble. Also if you went with the 4" SL you still would have to do a lot of work to stuff 35" in there like removing the fenders and cutting and grinding down the pinch weld and you still might get some rubbing I would think. I forget the dudes name but he's running 35"s on the 2" lift I think he said but that dude chopped into his frame to make his tires fit.

Brandon1024
04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
What are you having a hard time believing? that you could fit 35" with the 3.5" lift? Let me just say anything over 2" that don't drop the front diff is asking for trouble. Also if you went with the 4" SL you still would have to do a lot of work to stuff 35" in there like removing the fenders and cutting and grinding down the pinch weld and you still might get some rubbing I would think. I forget the dudes name but he's running 35"s on the 2" lift I think he said but that dude chopped into his frame to make his tires fit.
Id be the one to find a way to run 35's with the 4 inch lift if I could afford the lift. Hoping to get it for graduation.