PDA

View Full Version : JeepbyAl's 4" lift

michael.brewer1234
03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
So i bought the standard superlift and ended up sending it back because i wanted something else. Alot of talk has gone on about the JeepbyAl 4" lift. what is you all's opinions on this lift? is it worth $3500+? any pictures of it on a commander? Thanks

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 05:57 PM
From the discussions I have had do not by this lift yet at least. There are not enough details on it yet there 4" lift is in the prototype stage anyway I believe. But they do not have a drop down bracket for the front diff as of yet. Give them some time to iron all the bugs out. At last word they were changing the springs on the lift because the first set did not give them the a full 4" lift. The one you're looking at I think is there old one I would wait for them to finish what they have going before purchasing the kit. Right now the SL is the best complete kit on the market. That being said the best 4" lift you can get would be a combination of three different lifts right now. Most the Sl lift with some pieces from rusty's lift and throw in JBA UCA's and adjustable front struts is the best way right now but I'm not sure you could get those individual pieces from those places. If the SL list is not what you were expecting I recommend waiting to see what JBA'a final product will be

michael.brewer1234
03-30-2011, 06:09 PM
okay sounds good. i just liked the components of the jeepbyal's lift with the shocks and hd ucas

Matt
03-30-2011, 06:13 PM
I think we need everyone to start sending E-mails to Rancho, Rough Country, Etc and ask if they plan on making a lift for the XK/WK Jeeps (same drivetrain).

As long as SL is the only manufacturer, they'll charge what they want and never improve upon their design.

I would not run ANY kit that's truly 4" of lift but does not correct CV, tie rod and balljoint angles. From a dynamics standpoint there's a few other issues involved due to the load paths and allowable travel with lifts like that as well... so no, i would not recommend the JBA right now. I would however run the SL kit with some nice adjustable coilovers (instead of the cheap spacer they give you... my #1 reason for not buying the kit yet). Add on some JBA UCA's that have a heavier duty and replaceable balljoint and you'd be in the realm of a sweet setup for these vehicles. But it really would be best if more companies tried to jump into the market for these vehicles...

Just one of many opinions though. Good luck!

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Once again Matt you hit it on the head and I 100% agree with you. Michael you can order your own shocks and get what you need. I know JBA was switching to a new shock as well so they have bugs to kick around. JBA makes some sweat parts as Matt said. I'm not a shock expert so I can't help with that. Matt probably can tell you more about which ones and the length though he know what he's talking about.

michael.brewer1234
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
thanks! so do you think i should just go with the Rusty's superlift and add the coilovers, blisten 7100s in the rear, as well as the HD UCAs?

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
From what I read the Rusty's is using mostly SL parts and added an adjustable track bar or something and some small changes. the 7100 seem to be the way to go from reading around and yes the JBA UCA's I think are a must and the adjustable coil-overs are just awesome IMO. I think that would be one expensive way to go. I would give the guys time to chime in and I can do some more research for you as well.

Matt
03-30-2011, 06:32 PM
I wish I had some first hand experience with the Rustys and SL kits to really see the difference since there's been a few discrepancies posted by members that I haven't been able to verify. If I was to order today, i'd lean towards the Rustys. (if you're around central NJ, let me know... i may be able to help out with the install and get a close up look at the kit..).

For the coilovers, I know JBA is working with Fox on developing theirs. So i'd see how that turns out. KING also lists a coilover P/N for the WK (which should work for the XK) in their new catalog. If they're not listed for sale by mid summer i'm planning on contacting them to see what their plans are. They have a rear shock option too that would work well with their coilovers once released. I would stay away from the 7100's.... Bilstein has been concerning me lately in the quality department.

Another option i'm looking at for rear shocks are the Rancho 9000's. They have a rear shock that'll work perfect for our XK's with a 4" lift. The 9000s are also adjustable so I think that would really help for dialing them in for the perfect ride in combination with a set of Fox or King Coilovers (depending on what types of shocks they may offer).

The HD UCA's by JBA are a "must have". At the first sign that my upper balljoints are going, i'll be ordering their UCA's as my replacement, not questions asked. I think i have persuaded them to consider some tie-rod upgrades for us as well.... not a definite yet, but if they do make them that would be a really good idea if you plan on offroading.

It wouldnt hurt to get the SL or Rustys now, and then add the other parts as the stock items wear...

michael.brewer1234
03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
thanks man for everything! i guess i am going to order my SL tomorrow and look into the Ranchos. I will get pics up as soon as i get it installed. one last thing. What are your feelings on the JKS sway bar disconnects?

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 06:40 PM
forgot about that thread about all the Bilstein blowing out and failing. See thats why you wait for a someone else to chime in. Solid advice Matt, I would go in the same direction as well.

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Are those the $140 disco's?

Matt
03-30-2011, 06:48 PM
The Rancho shocks I was looking at are P/N RS999028 and have a fully extended length 4" further than stock (i was planning on running with with my 2" kit and using limit straps for down travel).

Can't go wrong with a set of rear JKS disconnects....

Where are you from? Sounds like you're planning on building up a sweet Commander!

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
I can tell you do not take you rear sway bar out LOL. I tried that not good LOL. For the rear can't you find some pins to fit in there? I know 5/8 is to big I think there 1/2 holes. Or is a pin a bad idea?

michael.brewer1234
03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
im in NC. Yeah thats what im hoping. by the end of this summer i am hoping to be about done with all my mods. I have been in contact with Doc about getting bumpers at some point also. would the Rancho coilover fit? or are those only for extreme trail rigs?

Matt
03-30-2011, 06:55 PM
With the JKS Discos you only disconnect the sway for trail riding... you don't remove the sway bar from the vehicle. And you simply reconnect it when you're going back on the street.

I wouldnt remove the sway bar either... not a good idea for top heavy vehicles like these!

Matt
03-30-2011, 06:58 PM
You mean the Rancho Quicklift? That's not a coilover, just a coil body that adds preload to the stock springs (dont think they make one yet for the XK).

michael.brewer1234
03-30-2011, 06:59 PM
oh yeah thats what i meant, sorry. so in the next 3 weeks i will have my lift set up. and hopefully have pictures up as well. Thanks again for the help

Sal-XK
03-30-2011, 07:09 PM
With the JKS Discos you only disconnect the sway for trail riding... you don't remove the sway bar from the vehicle. And you simply reconnect it when you're going back on the street.

I wouldnt remove the sway bar either... not a good idea for top heavy vehicles like these!

Ya someone posted up they did it and didn't notice a difference LOL I found out real fast it wasn't for me LOL. The rear only took me like 4 minuets to take of and about 6 minuets to put it back on. I was thinking for like a weekend of trails I would just remove it and save the coin or find some pins to fit in there so I can remove it faster

txbajacommander
04-22-2011, 06:11 AM
I just called Rusty's a couple days ago trying to get just the rear lower arms. They said it would be a couple of weeks before you could buy them seperate

superacerc
04-22-2011, 06:20 AM
I can tell you do not take you rear sway bar out LOL. I tried that not good LOL. For the rear can't you find some pins to fit in there? I know 5/8 is to big I think there 1/2 holes. Or is a pin a bad idea?

I fear I may have hastily encouraged people to remove the rear. I have the OME springs which are stiffer and that may be why i can keep the rear sway bar removed without ill effects.

Sal-XK
04-22-2011, 07:13 AM
I fear I may have hastily encouraged people to remove the rear. I have the OME springs which are stiffer and that may be why i can keep the rear sway bar removed without ill effects.

LOL dude it was funny man. I pulled that thing out got on the road and was like holy crap that dude is crazy if he can't feel this LMAO. I have stock springs and shocks so any sudden movements and it wasn't happy at all. But I accomplished what I wanted to was to get them loosened up so it's easier to get off at the trail head. :)

superacerc
04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah it didn't even occur to me. I haven't used my rear sway since last july i think.

07JeepXK
04-23-2011, 10:38 AM
The jeepinbyal 4 inch lift doesnt come with drop down cross members for the front, longer steering knuckles or differential drop down brackets if I recall correctly. Absolutely a waste of money in my opinion. Anything over 2 or so inches needs everything I listed above. For the price, the Superlift cant be beat.

LWM
04-23-2011, 02:53 PM
The jeepinbyal 4 inch lift doesnt come with drop down cross members for the front, longer steering knuckles or differential drop down brackets if I recall correctly. Absolutely a waste of money in my opinion. Anything over 2 or so inches needs everything I listed above. For the price, the Superlift cant be beat.

I second this, Just running spaces at 4" is a dangerous way to go and will cause damage to other parts of the vehicle as well.

07JeepXK
04-24-2011, 09:10 AM
I second this, Just running spaces at 4" is a dangerous way to go and will cause damage to other parts of the vehicle as well.

....and they are talking about making a 6 inch lift too. I hope they plan on fabricating all the necessary parts needed to do this because they sure didnt with their 4 inch lift.

cico7
04-24-2011, 10:08 AM
I think they are giving you an option, whether you like it or not or have to buy additional parts.
Michael-what did you not like about the superlift? Or did you just decide you wanted to spend the money on something else?
I do that too, buy something and then decide I dont want it, like it or the cost just doesnt settle with me.

Sal-XK
04-24-2011, 10:26 AM
JBA said right now they have no plans of dropping the front diff:confused: But as many have said anything over 2" the diff needs to be dropped anything over 4" and you're asking for trouble as well even with the diff dropped. A combination of lifts is the best way to go but cost way to much coin. The SL the best 4" lift right now throw on some JBA parts like UCA's and front struts and you're getting a pretty nice setup with rusty's rear adjustable track bar to finish things off. I've asked a few times about the 6" lift but got no response from them. There still messing around with the new 4" lift right now so I think it will be awhile.

Matt
04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
From the few pics I've seen so far, their 4" kit only looks like 2-3" which is probably how they're getting away with no diff drop.

Regardless, I'm with everyone here. 4+ inches without correcting CV balljoint and tie rod angles is just not a good idea.

Sal-XK
04-24-2011, 10:47 AM
@Matt, I read on jeep forum there looking at different struts now to get that 4" out of it.

Matt
04-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Yeah I saw that too. They're having Fox coilovers built which would be PERFECT in conjunction with the SL or Rusty's kit in lieu of the 4" spacer.

EvilJager
08-13-2011, 05:13 PM
He got it done around.d a month ago. He said he's 4.25" over stock now

Omelet
08-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I would highly recommend a set of 2" Fox remote shocks for the rear. I have been running a pair of their 11" shocks for a few months now. They measure 17" collapsed and 28" extended. They are perfect!

EvilJager
08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I would love a set. Maybe ill get some!... but prob the bilsteins

AcidCold
08-15-2011, 07:53 PM
I found a nice set which I am considering, Will they adjust to the added weight I have out back? (That's what she said!!) :)

Sal-XK
08-15-2011, 07:57 PM
These were on my short list but I needed the help with serious weight out back that's why i went with the monroes load levelers.

AcidCold
08-15-2011, 08:03 PM
These were on my short list but I needed the help with serious weight out back that's why i went with the monroes load levelers.
Try the stair master! :)

CmmdrDan
08-16-2011, 10:15 AM
This thread is full-o-win!

Omelet
08-16-2011, 01:32 PM
You can use whatever valving you want! The shocks won't help hold the weight, but with the correct valving they will control it beautifully.