PDA

View Full Version : Lift damage?

bigmaninds
04-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Today went wheeling and found this damage. I do not know how long it has been there but was like Woah! I know when my front tire falls all the way down this happens, is there a way to cure this? Any help would be greatful, Thanks.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/04/photo7-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/04/photo6-1.jpg https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/04/photo5-1.jpg

LWM
04-23-2011, 02:51 PM
What lift are you running?

bigmaninds
04-23-2011, 02:54 PM
OME HD springs with 3/8 inch spacer on top of strut up front, rear OME HD springs with 2 inch spacers on top of the springs.

Sal-XK
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
JBA UCA would help with the ball joint angle which in turn I would assume help that rub out maybe just a thought. Or let it wear down eventually it would gain enough clearance maybe just throwing stuff out there LOL

Matt
04-23-2011, 05:14 PM
That's actually interesting.

Are the OME coil bodies longer than the stock coil bodies?

bigmaninds
04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
I do believe they are longer just not too much
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/04/l_7b58682b6adbc2caa17c37056d081abc-1.jpg

bigmaninds
04-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Hope it was ok to borrow that pic....

Matt
04-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Those are the coils. I'm talking about the coil bodies (some people call them struts).

Reason I ask is, there are different ways to achieve lift "height". You can have coil bodies that are the same exact length as stock, but have the lower spring perched up higher to add preload to the spring which gives you a higher ride height. With that setup, when the suspension is fully extended it's no different than a stock vehicle. The other option is a longer coil body which achieves the increased height from just being longer; so when the spring is compressed like normal you still attain lift. With that kind, the suspension will drop further than a stock suspension setup would (in most cases) since the coil body is usually the travel limiter.

If the OME coil bodies are longer than stock, you may be pushing the suspension too far with the additional spacer on top. If the coil bodies are the same length as stock, then the 3/8" spacer shouldnt be a problem at full extension; no worse than ours with a 2" spacer anyways.

The other option is the spring perch on the OME is a larger diameter than stock and thereby interfering.

bigmaninds
04-23-2011, 06:00 PM
oh yeah I forgot, no sway bars up front or in rear... if I put the on I am thinking that it might stop rubbing....

Matt
04-23-2011, 06:16 PM
that may not be a bad idea.

If you're dropping down far enough to cause that much interference, you're probably at too much of an angle to get any significant torque out of the CV's and may be doing more harm than it's worth.

txbajacommander
04-24-2011, 07:36 AM
It looks like you have OME struts up front, maybe they are the 2" ones not stock. They look like the same ones I have. Although it's hard to tell just from pics. With no sway bar up front you might be getting to much travel. Without changing anything you could add limiting straps up front. that would fix to much down travel, assuming it was down travel that caused the rub.

Sal-XK
04-24-2011, 08:56 AM
I would go with the limiting straps over leaving the sway bar connected while off road IMHO.

07JeepXK
04-24-2011, 09:08 AM
It looks to me that the added lift spacer up front is giving you to much lift which in turn puts the upper control arm at a bad angle. The more the upper control arm is pushed down, the closer the steering knuckle gets to the strut/coil assembly. Then while off roading the steering knuckle makes contact with the strut/coil assembly at full down travel due to the sway bars being disconnected. I'm also using OME HD Coils/OME Struts up front but as far as i know Im not having the problem shown in your pictures. I'll have to take a look today though. Im not running the extra spacer like you nor have I disconnected the front sway bar.

Sal-XK
04-24-2011, 09:51 AM
@bigmaninds, due to the type of wheeling you do bro I would loose the spacer up front and keep disconnecting the sway bar up front and maybe look into limiting straps. Airing down and disconnecting every thing just makes the ride so much nicer in the rocks.