PDA

View Full Version : Dash Lights

drad08
04-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I've noticed lately while driving especially at night that my dash lights flicker. I try adjusting the brightness of the lights and nothing happens. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Sal-XK
04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
does the flickering correspond to anything like hitting bumps or anything that you can think of?

drad08
04-26-2011, 12:21 PM
No, it's just randomly happening while driving down the road. I don't notice it during the day but at night or whenever the headlights are on. It's most noticable on the radio and the trip odometer and the compass/thermostat screen.

Sal-XK
04-26-2011, 12:28 PM
First two things that come to mind is a bad ground or a failing multi switch thats the stock that controls the lights function. First thing I would do is kill the lights and see if it still does it. Then push on the fuse make sure its still seated all the way down. Give the grounds a quick look make sure there clean and tight. You can follow th ground wire out of all the fuse panels and see where they go. Just out of curiosity how old is your battery by the way?

drad08
04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Ya, I haven't checked the fuses yet, the battery I got brand new in December when I bought my jeep. I'll look into the grounds and the fuse and get back to ya.

Sal-XK
04-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Just check the fuse is tight and is not corroded the same goes for the ground wires. Also do you have a multimeter to use?

cico7
04-26-2011, 01:22 PM
The stalk for the lights has been causing problems for some folk. Check TSB's and go to jeep.com for owners and see if there are any recalls on your Jeep.

superacerc
04-27-2011, 12:46 PM
You're not running a few class D 1500 watt amps with a few sets of 12" and 15" speakers are you? If so you might be deaf as well. j/k
I had an amp and set of subs that used to hit pretty hard and would cause lights to flicker. It was obvioius though that when the bass hit the lights dimmed. I had rythmic light failure caused in part by old battery (not your issue) and the need for a capacitor.
That was back in my highschool days when I thought hearing loss was cool.

Good luck.