PDA

View Full Version : Rock Sliders

bigmaninds
05-05-2011, 07:32 PM
These are my sliders I have had them for a while, they were made by Articulated Motion in Phoenix.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/photo12-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/photo15-1.jpg
They are welded on no coming off anymore
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/photo13-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/photo14-1.jpg

Sal-XK
05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Nice thanks bro now I have something to go off of. Thanks again for posting the pictures

cico7
05-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Have you bounced on them?
From the bottom side I mean. They look good.

bigmaninds
05-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Yes I have hit them before on the bottom side, but on the tube side I don't think so because of the angle. The square tubing usually takes the blunt force.

Brandon1024
05-07-2011, 06:59 AM
How much did it cost to have these fabbed up?

Matt
05-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Man there's been a lot of rock slider discussion lately on multiple forums....

I'll have to see if i can find the time, but i may pull off my plastic rockers and take some measurements. I can probably make some solid CAD drawings to drop off at a local welder to have some nice rockers built. I bet it would be significantly cheaper if i put the time and effort in up front and then they just need to build to the print.

bigmaninds
05-07-2011, 08:20 AM
I want to say somewhere around 350 - 400. I did take the plastic piece out and that is where the square tubing went. They were awesome listening to everything I wanted on my sliders.

Brandon1024
05-07-2011, 12:51 PM
There are so many great products being fabbed up why can't someone mass produce them so we can buy through places like quadratech too...

El Cid
05-10-2011, 06:12 AM
There are so many great products being fabbed up why can't someone mass produce them so we can buy through places like quadratech too...

It isn't as easy as it might seem, I'm afraid. That said, we (4xGuard) have been in talks with Quadratec for a few years, and we had a very productive meeting with them recently at Moab. Time will tell.

Brandon1024
05-10-2011, 03:57 PM
may I add at affordable prices.

Sal-XK
05-10-2011, 04:18 PM
There are only a few things that can bring the price down of these type products and I don't want any of them to take place to save me money. Like cheaper materials or finishing techniques. Cheaper manufacture or making them in china. The real help would be volume and considering the two platforms these products are aimed at that ain't going to happen either. Just look at it this way bro your buying a semi custom piece for your rig. :)

Brandon1024
05-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I have plenty of semi custom pieces and the prices can not be touched by anyone else out there.

El Cid
05-11-2011, 07:22 AM
This is America, Brandon. If you can do better, then do better -- start a business and take over the market!

Brandon1024
05-11-2011, 07:06 PM
This is America, Brandon. If you can do better, then do better -- start a business and take over the market!
Someone is sensitive their prices tend to be high...

El Cid
05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Someone is sensitive their prices tend to be high...
Wow. I'm not sure what your problem is exactly, but I'm serious.

The WK/XK platform desperately needs more manufacturers in the game. And if you are convinced that the current manufacturers are so grossly overcharging for the products that we design and sell, then get in there! I want more products available for my XK. And clearly an individual who knows so much about the business of engineering, manufacturing, and marketing such products needs to do it.

cico7
05-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Segon wanted some parts shipped to Korea. When he tried to order direct, the shipping was
$250. I mailed it him for about $60. Big difference. Why is there such a difference?
I know it was fairly labor intensive. Maybe have been easier if I had better access to a post
office. Post office opens after I get to work and and closes before I go home.

No wonder the Post Office is struggling.

Shipping is one piece of the pie and shipping is often in addition to the purchase price.
The point is the same though.

I respect those who can make thier own stuff. Wish I had the skills.

El Cid
05-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Segon wanted some parts shipped to Korea. When he tried to order direct, the shipping was
$250. I mailed it him for about $60. Big difference. Why is there such a difference?

This thread is very much getting sidetracked, but if you're asking me why the big difference ... the truth is that I'm not quite sure. Was $60 for shipping by air? All of our international quotes are air-shipping.

Beyond that possible explanation, it's difficult for me to say since I don't personally handle the shipping quotes. Superlift has been acting as our warehouse and distribution center, and they run all the quotes. For international shipping we send them addresses, they send us back quotes, and their system is automated through UPS. So it may be that only UPS could answer the question!

Regardless, we were thrilled you were able to ship Segon the parts at such a reasonable rate!

cico7
05-12-2011, 10:08 AM
I was not directing my response to anyone in particular. I did not mention it was a 4XGUARD part.
My intent was only to illustrate the difference in cost to do something yourself as opposed to
paying someone else to do the work. It was cheaper, but I did not have the expertise in international
shipping and I surely don't have the experience in welding or building Jeep parts. And experience is part
of what you are paying for.

This thread is very much getting sidetracked, but if you're asking me why the big difference ... the truth is that I'm not quite sure. Was $60 for shipping by air? All of our international quotes are air-shipping.
Regardless, we were thrilled you were able to ship Segon the parts at such a reasonable rate!

Matt
05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
FWIW, one of the major appeals to the 4xG sliders is their fit & finish. Their quality and form are such that they could easily be offered from Jeep (and yet it bet Jeep wouldn't have been any better).

The cheaper/generic sliders I see for other vehicles on the market get the job done, so they score fine in terms of "function".... but lack if "form & fit".

While I would love for the 4x stuff to be a bit cheaper, ill give credit where credits due. I'm sure they could whip together a cheaper/generic slider like the Rocky Road version.... but I don't think that's their style. 8)

El Cid
05-13-2011, 01:33 PM
FWIW, one of the major appeals to the 4xG sliders is their fit & finish. Their quality and form are such that they could easily be offered from Jeep (and yet it bet Jeep wouldn't have been any better).

The cheaper/generic sliders I see for other vehicles on the market get the job done, so they score fine in terms of "function".... but lack if "form & fit".

While I would love for the 4x stuff to be a bit cheaper, ill give credit where credits due. I'm sure they could whip together a cheaper/generic slider like the Rocky Road version.... but I don't think that's their style. 8)

Thanks, Matt. You're right that it isn't our style.

As for the fact our stuff could have been offered from Jeep ... well, if you ever get a chance to look closely at the official test rig that Jeep/Mopar runs on the trails, you might see something familiar. :)

Brandon1024
05-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Matt. You're right that it isn't our style.

As for the fact our stuff could have been offered from Jeep ... well, if you ever get a chance to look closely at the official test rig that Jeep/Mopar runs on the trails, you might see something familiar. :)

The style shouldnt be about making a lot of money fast it should be about pleasing your customer and growing the company to get more products out there. I'd love to be able to run their products but the prices just arent reasonable for me considering I had a full bumper made for 400 which to me seems kind of rare to have something custom made cheaper. If i could put 4xGuard on my car and get stuff at a cut cost to get the name out in the area I would but that doesnt seem to be their style.

Matt
05-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Well let us know when you get a quote for some sliders from the guy that made your front bumper. Don't forget to post up pics and specs with a price. If they're comparable in strength and style to the 4xGuard you'll have a hot seller.

Brandon1024
05-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Well let us know when you get a quote for some sliders from the guy that made your front bumper. Don't forget to post up pics and specs with a price. If they're comparable in strength and style to the 4xGuard you'll have a hot seller.

I dont have the money to have him make them at the time but when I took example pictures for him to make similar sliders he quoted me 250. Also 250 for a tire carrier (hitch mounted) with gas can holder and hi lift mount.

Matt
05-20-2011, 09:08 AM
That's not bad at all... hell I was looking at well over $150 in materials to make similar ones (was considering having some locally made). After we added up the materials cost and labor quote I was approaching $400 really quick without even considering coating/finishing.

My plan was to have the welder build to print since I can do all of the measuring/drawing. After my preliminary cost estimate I stopped persuing it because I realized I was going to spend almost as much as the 4xG sliders, but being the "first" unit they probably wouldn't fit as perfectly since 4xG went through a few revisions to really get the body lines to match up nicely.

So in that respect, I dont see their prices being as unreasonable as you're making them out to be. But i guess that opinion is subject to regional influences.

Matt
05-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I remember your thread on the tire carrier... you'll have to let us know if he's going to make that because i'm really interested in one of those!

Brandon1024
05-20-2011, 09:47 PM
I remember your thread on the tire carrier... you'll have to let us know if he's going to make that because i'm really interested in one of those!

Yea me too but everything is on hold right now because i'm currently out of money. Waiting for graduation and then finding a summer job to move on with the mods.

cico7
05-21-2011, 04:21 AM
Something I have never been clear on, what are you protectig with the sliders?
The outside of the pinchweld, the inside, or both? When I had mine made, the
welder did not know what he was doing. I am sure he did a fine job welding, nothing
has fallen off, but he didn't know what he was building. I wasn't certain. Looks like
the sliders in the first pic are outside the pinch and reinforced by tying it into
the frame. More Pics!!

Matt
05-21-2011, 05:29 AM
They're protecting the side & rocker panel area from rocks. The pinch weld itself isn't a big deal... but if you're sliding on the pinch weld and then skoot off to the side, that rock is going to tear your vehicle apart. In the case of the XK, the damage could prevent you from opening/closing the door properly.