PDA

View Full Version : Forum Activity! Adding the WK Owners.

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Have you guys noticed lately that this forum has for at least the last few weeks posted more activity then the other forum. The tide is turning and were taking over.:p Not only are we seeing more activity on this site but the content is much different. The other forums activity seems to be more non jeep commander posts, like number game last word just general off topic stuff. The commander related posts they are getting is mostly new members looking for help. Those members usually get there help and then you never see them again. Were doing a good job over here keep it up.

Matt
05-08-2011, 09:47 AM
We need to find a way to get more XK enthusiasts out there signed up and modding their Commanders. I see them all over the place, but very rarely do I see anyone lifting or wheeling them.

I don't know if it would help or not... but since we share so much in common with the WK platform, maybe make this site dual hatted? I seem to be spending a lot of time on jeepforum, but that site is overly consumed by wranglers (as is most "jeep" sites), so i really only stay in the WK/XK area and never venture into the other forum areas.

I think that would really boost forum activity and popularity. As XK enthusiasts, we're already spread so thin so I see less activity combined across 3 popular forums than I did with any of my previous vehicles single forum.

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 09:54 AM
I stay in the XK\WK section as well. I agree if this was a dual site the amount of action would diffidently take off. Do the WK's have dedicated site of there own or they always in the back of the bus on wrangler forums?

Matt
05-08-2011, 10:21 AM
From what i've seen, they're a red headed stepchild in other forums as well. We already know how jeepforum is, the next most popular one is jeepsunlimited... and even there, the Grand Cherokee area is dominated by ZJ/WJ's... the WK barely makes a dent on the stats.

So i think making this forum dedicated to XK/WK's, we may be able to draw in a lot more membership since it doesn't seem like we're well represented anywhere else.

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 10:42 AM
The activity you have been seeing is basically from us three, LOL.....Seriously tho, I wouldn't mind sharing with the WK guys just as long as we don't become the red headed stepchild in our own forum.

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 10:53 AM
We do have the core XK guys who mod on this site. Which I knew if that core group came the other forum would suffer from that. In our defense the other forum wasn't loyal to the core jeeper that was driving the activity and the draw to there forum. You were just another number over there and someone on there first day there would get defended over you.

Matt
05-08-2011, 11:13 AM
From what I've seen on jeepforum I don't think the XK will get stepchild'ed here if we do xk / wk. I'm sure we'll be outnumbered. ... but since most of the aftermarket is interchangeable and the thread topics similar, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

And as a disclaimer, I don't have anything against any other forums. I've just become more comfortable with the atmosphere here.... but I still frequent the other sites just as much (because quite frankly, there's not much activity anywhere)

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I frequent a few as well but this one is my favorite. Then I swing in on the xk\wk section of jeepforum I don't go to the other site usually unless I get bored or I'm trying to draw attention to something like this site but I usually have alterior motives for the visit.

LWM
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
This site can add the WK format without too much work if you feel it would be in the best interest of the forum.

I would have to buy another web address and link it to this site as I am not sure the WK owners would want to type www.xk-forum.com to see WK info.

Matt
05-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I think it would help... i would also throw down for the lifetime membership at that point as well. Only reason I haven't yet is because there's 3 forums I frequent for the XK and 3 memberships gets a bit costly (but I do think that I help support the forums with my posts which hopefully help retain members... so its not like im just coasting along sucking up the resources :))

So i was planning on giving it some time to really decide where i'd call "home". But considering that it was my recommendation to bring WK's here and that would be some work/cost on your part. I'll man up to the membership :cool:

FYI that's another good way at looking at it... there's really no "home" forums for the WK guys. So a creative domain that incorporates both may bring more attention; like JeepXKWK-Forum :confused:

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't have a problem with the idea of bringing WK's over here. I think it would also attract a lot more traffic and since a few of us are plugged in on other sites we could PM for some interest. I also have WK members on my Sal-XK page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sal-XK/160438257353266) I could promote the site there as well. I might be willing to chip in a few bucks toward the venture after I get threw camp commander. Like Matt said we share the same platform and were for the most part doing a lot of the same mods so we do fit together.

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 02:39 PM
So lets vote on it. Sal maybe start a vote thread and we can pm other members to vote and go from there. I don't have a problem with tge WKs either and think it would boost up info and activities. I'll be willing to chip in on the cost after Camp Commander as well. I was actually going to buy a membership after CC anyways.

This site is my home......I dont have any issues with the other sites either but, this is my home. I will only post mods to my Commander here from now on. I will have a link in my sig on the other forum linking my garage thread here. I'm a member of JF but never post on there because I feel it falls on def ears.

I strongly feel this site is one of the best sites out there for the main reason of no negatism towards anyones mods or likings. Also, everyone is helpful and inspiring towards everybodu on here, even if you are a noob.

This concludes my statements.......Now, can I have a forum sticker? LOL...

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 02:42 PM
This concludes my statements.......Now, can I have a forum sticker? LOL...

You sure can with a membership LOL. I do have some to give away at camp commander though. I'm messaging some of the WK guys now to gauge there interest.

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 02:51 PM
You sure can with a membership LOL.

That's messed up......I'm going to the other site now.

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 03:21 PM
That's messed up......I'm going to the other site now.

LOL thats funny. I forget how many stickers Jon sent me maybe one of them has your name on it. I need to figure how I will give those away.

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 03:31 PM
LOL thats funny. I forget how many stickers Jon sent me maybe one of them has your name on it. I need to figure how I will give those away.

How about....The dirtiest XK/WK after Camp Commander.
The person with the least issues on the trails.
The most/least mods on your XK/WK at ECCC.
Ect.....

cico7
05-08-2011, 03:55 PM
You can't win a membership for something that is free. uh oh, just got called out....more later.

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 03:58 PM
You can't win a membership for something that is free. uh oh, just got called out....more later.

Who's wining a membership?

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 04:13 PM

We need to talk, I think Sal is trying to take over the world!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 04:15 PM

From my evil layer of doom! Wait a minuet this wasn't my idea Matt started this one.

Matt
05-08-2011, 04:20 PM
:ninja:

Matt
05-08-2011, 04:20 PM
^which reminds me... we need better smiley's! :p

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 04:22 PM
From my evil layer of doom! Wait a minuet this wasn't my idea Matt started this one.

That freakin' Matt guy, he's up to no good I tell you.

Matt
05-08-2011, 04:28 PM
That freakin' Matt guy, he's up to no good I tell you.

I dont know what you're talking about.....

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I just had to do it check out my sig

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 04:46 PM
I just had to do it check out my sig

LMCAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Priceless.

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I dont know what you're talking about.....

Sometimes, neither do I.

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Not the world just America LOL

LMCAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Priceless.

I thought you would like that :)

LWM
05-08-2011, 04:54 PM
I have looked a little bit and I can change our header and forum title and then purchase WK-Forum.com and link both to this site, my yearly would go up by $10 for the new domain but the monthly hosting would still be at $10.00 and I own the forum software (cost me $300 I think).

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Are we allowed or is it even possible to have a pic in our sigs?

LWM
05-08-2011, 04:57 PM
^which reminds me... we need better smiley's! :p

Need another tech guys to help me out with that kind of stuff.

IamJEEP
I have looked a little bit and I can change our header and forum title and then purchase WK-Forum.com and link both to this site, my yearly would go up by $10 for the new domain but the monthly hosting would still be at $10.00 and I own the forum software (cost me $300 I think).

That's not too bad, I think we should see if there is interest from the WK guys/gals first and go from there. It's not worth it if nobody comes over from the other forums.

Sal-XK

Are going to see what the interest in is from the WK guys or are we just going to do it and recruit?

Yes I believe you're allowed it just has to be a reasonable size.

LWM
05-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Yes, it is a programing issue and I think I turned it on for paid memberships.

Matt
05-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Need another tech guys to help me out with that kind of stuff.

Is it a matter of figuring out the forum software to set it up or does it require writing HTML code?

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes, it is a programing issue and I think I turned it on for paid memberships.

got you again Caleb LOL

IamJEEP
05-08-2011, 05:07 PM
got you again Caleb LOL

D'OH!

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 05:25 PM
D'OH!

another reason for a membership uh? I'm not saying I'm just saying hahaha

cico7
05-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Who's wining a membership?
Or is that Whining?
You did. Well, you said you had memberships to give away at the camp.

You sure can with a membership LOL. I do have some to give away at camp commander though.

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
You did. Well, you said you had memberships to give away at the camp.

I meant stickers bro! we ain't holding me to that miss written response are we :)

Matt
05-08-2011, 06:08 PM
I think Sal needs to raffle off a membership at Camp Commander now!

lol, j/k.

fwiw, i read it as you would have "stickers" to give way.... but can see how it could have been misinterpreted.

LWM
05-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Is it a matter of figuring out the forum software to set it up or does it require writing HTML code?

I have no clue, I am sure we can add smiles but I have no idea how it is done.

Matt
05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
What forum software is this built on? I'll see what i can find out (no promises though, ive never run a website)

hoaxci5
05-08-2011, 06:18 PM
It's vbulletin which is php based. I'm waiting for a call/pm from Knappster to discuss some things about the programming and such..

Matt
05-08-2011, 06:22 PM
It's vbulletin which is php based. I'm waiting for a call/pm from Knappster to discuss some things about the programming and such..

Cool... you think you can help out?

hoaxci5
05-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Yea I think so..

cico7
05-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I think Sal needs to raffle off a membership at Camp Commander now.... but can see how it could have been misinterpreted.
awww man...
.. I was trying to get someone a free membership! Just kidding.

Sal-XK
05-08-2011, 07:17 PM
awww man...
.. I was trying to get someone a free membership! Just kidding.

That might be a good idea a one year membership is cheap enough.

LWM
05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm waiting for a call/pm from Knappster to discuss some things about the programming and such..

Sorry I missed your post, it is really late here so I guess you are now asleep. I will get you by PM

LWM
05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
I was talking to Doc today about a revamp of our forum and he said "you can call it the Grand Commander Forum". I am glad some members think it might be a good idea to open up and welcome the WK, any other opinions either way?

hoaxci5
05-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Sounds good to me.

ped4599
05-11-2011, 01:48 AM
I still use the other forum since its where I got my start and have put lots into.

However, I am growing tired of it being mostly the same old questions and "reposts" of the basic concepts posted by new commander owners that post before searching or reading.

I think by the time someone starts to MOD their XK, they probably have decided to be a long term XK owner. This means they will start to use and share more advanced/useful content. PLUS they are probably the people who actually use their XK offroad and take pics and Videos of it, which is what I like about the forums and why I am here. I see this site as sort of the next level of XK owners.

I want to be out offroading, but when I can not be, seeing NEW pics and VIDs of others offroading in an XK is the next best thing!
I hope people continue to throw the camera in the XK when they hit the trail...then post it for the rest of us!

I dont have any thing against the WK since its basically the same vehicle with a different body. It just depends on if you are looking for expanding for the future since the XK is now a discontinued classic. Do you want to keep this site a niche market for the XK, or become marketable for the future since the grand cherokee is probably gona be around for awhile. I just hope it doesnt expand to the point where this site becomes just like the other one did---lost focus on the members---which is why this one got started.....for the XK owners.

Matt
05-11-2011, 05:05 AM
I agree that I don't want this forum to turn into another generic Jeep forum.... I think we can retain our "niche" status by focusing the name and main page on "XK / WK" as opposed to "Commander / Grand Cherokee". By bringing the Grand Cherokee title into the mix we're subject to the ZJ/WJ crew which will likely engulf the site since they are the most common being an older generation and SFA for wheeling.

Having sub forums for them is fine (we already do). But I think there are enough XK and WK owners out there who would work well together in expanding this site without losing focus. This can clearly be seen Just by watching some of sals vids for Camp Commander..... the WKs have a strong showing.

LWM
05-11-2011, 05:38 AM
I agree with both of you, I LOVE my Commander and this forum is for those of us who do and take it out and use it as a real Jeep. If, and I do say if we change our format it would be my intention to stay true to our original intent and continue to promote the off road use and modification of the Commander but include the WK. I see no reason to throw open the gates and become another forum for all makes & models, most of those guys have a place butthe XK & WK are different.

Our vehcile are enough similar to share information that would help us but and at the same time grow or forum family to keep the forum viable.

Lets keep the subject open as I do not want to make a change if it wil cause us to lose our identity or members/friends.

Matt
05-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Lets keep the subject open as I do not want to make a change if it wil cause us to lose our identity or members/friends.

X2

I'm good with whatever the majority decides. Either way I'm a member here. :)

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 07:11 AM
I promote the heck out of this site all over the internet. I'm actually surprised I haven't been kicked off other forums yet LOL. I like the feel of this place and the people on here. One of the things I tell people while recruiting is this is where the serious XK guys went to hang out. Or I say all the dudes doing real mods went over here. That's truly how I feel. I'm on board with whatever is good for the group here. I do think selective recruiting of WK owners would have to take place at first to establish an atmosphere before it's open to the public.

LWM
05-11-2011, 08:26 AM
I do think selective recruiting of WK owners would have to take place at first to establish an atmosphere before it's open to the public.

Promote away and lets see if there is even any interest on the part of WK owners.

Matt
05-11-2011, 08:31 AM
My friend has a wk. .... he's not on any forums, I'm gonna make him sign up.

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Promote away and lets see if there is even any interest on the part of WK owners.

Well so far so good I PM'd you the response I got. I'll have to send some PM's to some more though.

My friend has a wk. .... he's not on any forums, I'm gonna make him sign up.

LOL I like that don't ask just make him do it. :)

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Maybe hoaxci5 can fix that too, by the way were the heck are our smiley's already. psssshhht volunteers! LOL

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I still use the other forum since its where I got my start and have put lots into.

However, I am growing tired of it being mostly the same old questions and "reposts" of the basic concepts posted by new commander owners that post before searching or reading.

You just have more patients then I do bro.

I think by the time someone starts to MOD their XK, they probably have decided to be a long term XK owner. This means they will start to use and share more advanced/useful content. PLUS they are probably the people who actually use their XK offroad and take pics and Videos of it, which is what I like about the forums and why I am here. I see this site as sort of the next level of XK owners.

Exactly what makes this forum great is at its core its about the Jeep and making changes to it. Once you start messing with the XK you gain knowledge and skill on it that can help people even if there just repairing one.

I want to be out offroading, but when I can not be, seeing NEW pics and VIDs of others offroading in an XK is the next best thing!
I hope people continue to throw the camera in the XK when they hit the trail...then post it for the rest of us!

No shortage of wheeling stories and pictures and videos to back them up here bro. I just posted some nice vids and I will have more after ECCC is over. Then I will also be working on other videos to include one for the forum its self.

I dont have any thing against the WK since its basically the same vehicle with a different body. It just depends on if you are looking for expanding for the future since the XK is now a discontinued classic. Do you want to keep this site a niche market for the XK, or become marketable for the future since the grand cherokee is probably gona be around for awhile. I just hope it doesnt expand to the point where this site becomes just like the other one did---lost focus on the members---which is why this one got started.....for the XK owners.

This seems to be the question at hand.

hoaxci5
05-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Just for you Sal https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/grrr-1.gif

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
LMAO stop playing around you and get to work

Let me try again

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/lmaosmiley-1.gif stop playing around you and get to work....

cico7
05-11-2011, 11:03 AM
stop playing around you and get to work.... Got that Jersey thing going on....at least it's not You's......https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Just for you Sal https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/grrr-1.gif
Ohh, we got a grumpy hoaxi......https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Still have a little Chicago in me I guess :)

IamJEEP
05-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Where are you guys seeing these smileys? I was going to post just to use a new smiley and I can't find them.............poohey.

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Where are you guys seeing these smileys? I was going to post just to use a new smiley and I can't find them.............poohey.

LMAO were copying them from the internet and pasting them in like pictures LOL

IamJEEP
05-11-2011, 03:25 PM
LMAO were copying them from the internet and pasting them in like pictures LOL

AHHHH, you guys suck! I was looking foward to new smileys, bummer. LOL....

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 03:28 PM
our volunteer staff is slacking off somewhere ahaahahh https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/stickingouttonguesmiliegif-1.gif

IamJEEP
05-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Bunch of slackers.......I'm headed outside to install my bumper fogs....peace out g-money.

hoaxci5
05-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Volunteer staff hasn't been made staff, and I'm busy packing for the Jeep Jamboree that I'm headed out to tomorrow https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/crybaby_sign-1.gif

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 05:11 PM
You're going to Jeep Jamboree I really don't care your busy now https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/imjealous-1.gif

cico7
05-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Get to it!!

CmmdrDan
05-12-2011, 06:09 AM
I think this is a great idea. I know im late to the party. My new job has me busy. I too have a lot of time at the JF. But I do like the people here..well most are there too. I vote yes for this

sean112280
05-12-2011, 11:22 AM
I need to really work on my activity here. I am sorry. I have been frequenting my saltwater hobby forums a lil too much.

Matt
05-16-2011, 07:28 PM
http://www.xk-forum.com/entry.php/55-Extending-the-hand-of-frienship-to-the-WK-owners?bt=90

Didn't realize he posted this as a blog post.

WanderingTs
05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Just as a counterpoint -

I agree this forum seems to be for those who are actually using their Commanders as they can be, great off road vehicles. Part of why I don't even check "the other forum" anymore is because of the redundancy and neverending stream of the same noob questions over and over. That being said, we were all various stages of noob at some point.

When I bought my Xk, I knew it had to be capable, after all it was a Jeep. I always wanted a Jeep, and needing tow, the V-8 in the Commander was a no brainer. The only research I really did was to make sure the towing capacity was high enough for my needs (like I said, it was a Jeep, what was to research). After ownership, I was lead to "the other forum", and then here when Jon started this great forum. This forum has been a gold mine of information. The ability to find opinions, mods, ideas, and experience from real Jeepers all over the world was something I would have paid much more for. (No getting ideas here Jon).

If we allow other models to join, and become standard fare, it does make it more difficult for those who came in like me. I had no Jeep experience, no mod experience, only basic 4X4 in my old truck. Part of the magic for this site to me was I didn't have to wade through other model of Jeep information. I didn't find great mods or ideas, only to get into it and find out it didn't apply due to some change between models. Here, all things were possible. Everything I read was relevant. Those doing the posting were informed and experienced.

As you can easily see, I am not one of the top posters to this site, but I garuntee you I have read every post in every thread that gone into this forum as I joined right at the start. My humble opinion - we are growing - if it aint broke, why fix it? Why dilute the pure experience we have now? I think we should carefully evaluate what adding a second focus would give us as an advantage. More members is not always a good thing, just look at "the other forum". If we are concerned about the XK being discontinued and the WK being the future, how many of us plan on trading in our XK for a WK? Not guna happen here.

For those who want a broader Jeep experience, other forums already exist to fill that niche. Some were mentioned above. If this joining happens, I certainly will not abandon ship, but I think we find that we end up with a watered down, less valuable, less focused forum.

Just my $.02

Matt
05-17-2011, 04:36 AM
I don't think bringing WKs here will make this place watered down. The whole point is that the vehicles are practically the same. We definitely don't want to make this forum a generic "Jeep" forum and get flooded with wranglers and Cherokees.... they have plenty of sites.

I think making this an XK/WK site will retain our "niche" status, but also make this site a bit more active. Not looking for a "broader" Jeep experience... just to "better" this forum experience. Right now, the best place to be is the XK/WK section of jeepforum... but I'd rather have that experience here on our own "home" forum than be a stepchild on that forum.

An example is the for sale section...... probably 95% wrangler stuff. Or the "offroading pics/vids" forum.... try finding XKs or WKs there. Those type of threads need to be posted in the XK/WK Generic section to get any visibility. That wouldn't be the case here.... we can actually post in the proper forum sections because this is "our" place.

cico7
05-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Part of why I don't even check "the other forum" anymore
is because of the redundancy and neverending stream of the same
noob questions over and over. That being said, we were all various
stages of noob at some point.
No way around it. Lots of noobs. Maybe the intro should say this is
website is devoted to offroad enthusiast, not mallcrawlers.
MallCrawlers go here (http://www.jeepcommander.com/index.php?page=active_topics)

Sal-XK
05-17-2011, 05:58 AM
No way around it. Lots of noobs. Maybe the intro should say this is
website is devoted to offroad enthusiast, not mallcrawlers.
MallCrawlers go here (http://www.jeepcommander.com/index.php?page=active_topics)

LMAO thats funny. But if were going to grow new members and new to the commander people will be joining up. Having an easy to find help section with in depth write ups and pictures will help with the same basic questions that are asked all the time. One of the problem with the other site is the information you're looking for is buried in a 200 post thread that takes mind numbing reading to find the one post you need. Then when you ask because you can't take it anymore some dude jumps on and says use the search button next time. We have a few noobs here already all new members receive a welcome message with links to stuff to help them out and get them started another step to cutting down on the redundant questions always asked. I for one don't think this site will get over run with WK owners although I do feel what WanderingTs said. Here is a copy of the welcome message everyone receives no matter what forum they come from or there post count they get this welcome message.

Welcome to the ultimate commander forum. Here are some threads to help you get started. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Also you might want to AKA any of your other forum names if you have any as many of us frequent the same forums.

Introduce yourself here (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/67-New-here-Make-your-first-post-in-this-thread-Introduce-yourself-amp-your-Commander)
XK-Parts link (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/541-Jeep-Commander-Parts-Links) Check out the must have listed parts
How to post a Picture (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/605-How-to-post-a-Picture)
How to make a word a Link (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/608-How-make-a-word-a-link/-insert-link)
What do all the options and buttons mean (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/621-See-what-all-these-options-and-buttons-mean)
Putting a Face to a name thread (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/21-Putting-a-face-to-the-name?highlight=Face)
Sa-XK

Matt
05-17-2011, 06:34 AM
FWIW, I don't mind redundant "newbie" posts.... that's just a good sign the people are finding our forum through searches and signing up.

What we need to do though is retain those members. Seems like there's a lot of Commander members who sign up just to solve that clunk or leaking sunroof issue and never come back. We need to do a better job of inciting them to stick around long enough so we can infect them with our mod bugs. :)

sean112280
05-17-2011, 06:42 AM
I got the bug, just not the money :(

Matt
05-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Lol preach it brotha! !! Its gonna take me 3-4 months to pay off my new mods.

LWM
05-17-2011, 03:47 PM
I certainly appreciate all the thoughts and comments and encourage you to keep up the discussion. I created this forum with the encouragement of a couple other members who like me LOVE the Commander and plan to keep it until the wheels fall of (and then bolt them back on).

I know as an XK forum we will always be smaller than the mega Jeep forums but that can be a good thing as we specialize in the Commander, but I can also see how it can be to our advantage to bring in the WK due to the fact that the two vehicles are so similar.

What I would not want to see and I am too concerned with it happening anyway is for us to attempt to be a great ALL Jeep forum and become like all the rest. I really want in the future for people who want the answer to an XK question to know they can come here and find friendly people who will not only know the answer but will even attempt to hook up and help fix the problem when possible.

Events like Camp Commander will build and strengthen the family and I want US to lead the way.

IamJEEP
06-07-2011, 07:43 AM
If we do decide to let the WKs in this forum, be ready to be out threaded by their presence. I'm not saying that's a bad thing because we do share the same platform, I'm just saying.

I am ok with the idea and would vote for "Yes" to add them to the site.

Matt
06-07-2011, 08:11 AM
If we do decide to let the WKs in this forum, be ready to be out threaded by their presence. I'm not saying that's a bad thing because we do share the same platform, I'm just saying.

I am ok with the idea and would vote for "Yes" to add them to the site.

I'm not worried about them out-threading the XKs.... as long as they don't out-wheel us! Lol.

For what its worth, the prescence of XKs posting in the WK/XK section of JF is not bad at all..... I doubt it would be worse here since we have some of the more "core" XK members as regulars here.

My vote would be YES too. :)

CmmdrDan
06-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I really need to post here more. I like it but it just isnt as busy. We need to work on that.

LWM
06-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I will check into purchasing a second domain and adding the WK family.

Matt
06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
I really need to post here more. I like it but it just isnt as busy. We need to work on that.
X2

Start posting up some mods/questions/etc. How about those new shocks you just put on?? (lol low blow)

Want to see something scary... go to our member list and sort by # of posts; the top 10th poster has under 200 posts.. ouch. Another interesting list is sorting it by Join Date (newest first).... only 14 of the ~90 users who have registered since January have over 20 posts.

We definitely need to work on getting the activity up. The best way I can think of that is getting more people active who enjoy modifications and wheeling.... the essence of this site. I can think of a few WK guys who would fit right in.... just gotta get the ball rolling.

Matt
06-08-2011, 01:06 PM
And in my defense.... I think I have a form of adhd or something because I constantly have to be multitasking. So here I am at work With two monitors, doing FEA while writing a test directive while answering email while reading a book researching sealing mechanisms and while posting here..... lol its just how I function. If I only have 1 thing going on I can't do it (kind of like How I always have 5 projects active at home). So I don't expect anyone to hang with my post count. :)

Holaday07 4.7
06-08-2011, 01:09 PM
I prefer this forum over the other one, but at the same time I like the extent of the content that is archived on the other site. I can find almost anything there, and not have to wait for someone to respond here. I found a guy with a 4 in SL here in STL but he just put big rims and street tires on it. I'll hopefully be taking the Jeep to Mudfest this weekend, more exposure the better.

Matt
06-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Being just a year old this site is also in its infancy. It's actually doing quite well from that perspective....

Now is the "prime time" of the year to boost membership/activity. People are getting outside and modifying their vehicles, offroading, taking pictures, going to shows and get-to-gethers. The more of that activity that we can bring to our forum the quicker/better it will grow.

I look at the Spring/Summer as sort of a momentum generator for forums... the more momentum we can pick up during this time period, the more active we'll be through the "lull" of winter. This has the compounding effect of bringing more and more growth each year; sort of like a virtual perpetual motion machine...

CmmdrDan
06-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I want to buy a membership here to help cover the costs on running it. But as usual I am extremely low on funds. Switching jobs sucks. And I need to pay for those tires this week..

Holaday07 4.7
06-08-2011, 01:40 PM
I agree, although I do spend more time in my Garage in the winter though. Either way, I'm glad people are moding their Commanders now, I did not want a Commander when we first got in the market for an SUV. Now I am glad we got it, after the initial replacement of the fuel tank, sending unit, fuel lines, and amp, there were 0 problems. And peoples faces when we come out of a river crossing or mud pit is awesome. It's fun to be different

Sal-XK
06-08-2011, 02:21 PM
We should also have every how to or info thread the other site has and more, considering the dudes who put the other site together are here now. If you notice were missing something just let us know. I think I've only had to refer someone to the other site only once and the thread I sent them to is now on here so were plugging the gaps.

Tymac
06-08-2011, 06:52 PM
We should also have every how to or info thread the other site has and more, considering the dudes who put the other site together are here now. If you notice were missing something just let us know. I think I've only had to refer someone to the other site only once and the thread I sent them to is now on here so were plugging the gaps.

Very well put. Also, if you find a tech article there because its not here just copy and paste. Make sure to leave out the user names from the original thread. No such thing as plagiarism on open content.

2 other sites I was affiliated with merged into one site. It took 2 days to copy over all of the tech articles and to make sure we didn't duplicate.

Sal-XK
06-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Also would like to add I think the response time is pretty good over here. There's a couple of us that check multiple times a day. I see unanswered thread on the other one all the time lately. Were getting there pretty quick and our search engine is way better as well.

Matt
06-09-2011, 03:36 AM
Hey.... maybe we should create a "Need a WK for the header" thread. Then explain there that the site is expanding to include WKs since the platforms are basically identical. We can forward that thread on to WK owners we know and have them come here to post a picture... then have a vote. In the mean time we can create the header like has been discussed in the other thread, but make a WK silhouette out of '?????'s that will eventually be filled in by the first WK winner.

Sal-XK
06-09-2011, 04:00 AM
That's sounds like a good way to draw some attention to the site from the WK people I like it

LWM
06-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Hey.... maybe we should create a "Need a WK for the header" thread.

Great idea!

WANTED: WK for site header (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/858-WANTED-WK-for-forum-header!?p=9871#post9871)