PDA

View Full Version : Front Diff Shaking!!!!:(

bigmaninds
05-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Today I was driving and then I was turning and heard an awful sound. So I went to park came out and inspected it. Found nothing drove home and sound did not come back. Crawled under it to inspect and had wife move it from Park to Reverse and I noticed the front diff shake like crazy. I was OMG! I took a close look at the driveshaft and the connector to the transfer case (rubber piece is missing as well) on the drive shaft. So I had her move it from P to D and R. Front diff shakes like crazy, I know it should not do that, Any Ideas on what could be happening? Thanks

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 08:06 PM
are you missing that rubber isolator for the front diif? if its the part I;m thinking of that could cause those issues

bigmaninds
05-11-2011, 08:31 PM
I just looked it is very torn, I also looked closely at the front drive shaft, the area where it connects to the transfer case, I can see shiny ball bearings? Are those ball bearings that I can see? There is still some rubber there that is why I am asking. Is this in need of replacement as well? Has anyone here replaced that rubber bushing?

Matt
05-12-2011, 02:24 AM
the driveshaft does not support the differential. If the diff is shaking, check the mounts.

the driveshaft may be a root cause though. If the joints are toast they'll try to shake the diff and therefore wear out the diff mounts, but im surprised you didnt have a crazy driveline vibration if that is the case. Either way, take down the front driveshaft and make sure the joints are smooth. If they're sticking/ratcheting to move, you need a new shaft as well.