PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Commander respect, again.

IamJEEP
05-13-2011, 02:59 PM
So, I pull into the parking lot of my local 4x4 outlet. There are two Rubicons on steriods and a deisel F350 in the lot. The store windows are tinted so you can't see inside, but the parts counter overseas all of the lot. There were 5 guys behind the counter when I walked in, all talking about my Commander. I overheard them asking each other...."what's that? The new Liberty, Compass?".........as I approach the counter, one guy asks me and I say Commander. One guy says..."those are great for towing",.......so I'm thinking, cool. Then I ask for a tow strap and a shackel. As the guy heads towards the back, one of the guys spouts out...."is that in case you get stuck in the sand?" as they all chuckle. I look at him and say....."No, it's for when I get stuck on the parking stop in the mall lot". They all have a good laugh as I am straight faced and starting to get annoyed. The guys comes back with my parts and they all just walk away as I pay. One guy actually tries to make ammends and tells me he really likes my wheels (not the Commander tho, huh) and that it makes the Jeep look better. WTF? If it wasn't for the fact that I needed these items today, I would of said screw it and baught offline.

Rant over, please proceed to the back of the line.....Caleb

superacerc
05-13-2011, 03:05 PM
First item of buisness: WTF can you do with an F350 off road besides hit trees and make a 55 point turn when you realize you don't fit on the trail?
2nd: You only need be first at a stoplight next to a roided (it's not steroids it's a protien shake) wrangler to make them feel pretty inadequate.
3rd: Wrangler snobs piss me off!

To those non-snob wrangler owners: You're cool.

Sal-XK
05-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I usually say one of two things or both in those situations. 1st I say you can try following me down the trail anytime you think your ready. 2nd which makes them mad is dude my wife can wheel a wrangler takes a man to wheel a commander.

Adondo
05-13-2011, 03:45 PM
I had an F-350, so I know. We were miles from pavement in my 8,000 lb. diesel beast out of Moab. It spring-hopped badly across a section of coral colored sand, and I thought about how impossible it would've been to get it out. Its front end alone weighs as much as a Jeep. Other places, I had to do an ah-la Walmart parking lot back and forth to get around tight slick rock turns.

The only other vehicle we saw for hours was a Toyota 4 Runner. They looked at us like we were nuts to be out there in that truck. I started feeling the same way. It's like taking a Kenworth off-roading. 5 MPH is max because everything in the bed's jumping out while your kidneys are failing. Actually, come to think of it, the Kenworth would be better because at least you'd have an air ride seat to cushion the pounding. After we got home, it was time to start re-thinking the whole RV idea. So... a 40 foot motorcoach and the Commander is the replacement. :)

As for the Wrangler snobs, the ones with that attitude are ignorant. I've heard from several people ''in the know'' about the Wranglers. One, from a tranny man that owns one of the top tranny places in town: the Wrangler Unlimited has the same weak transmission as a Chrysler minivan. They're crap, and he's already repaired a couple of failed ones. One good reverse to pull someone out, and kiss the clutch pack goodbye. The XK has a stout, double oil filtered beast that's also used in a few Mercedes SUV's.

Another has seen what the XK's and JK's can do on serious stuff. Anyone that can operate a Google search knows they have very advanced running gear. Those same snobs, by the way, are typically ''balls to the wall'' types who think going full throttle up a steep hill of loose rocks is the only way to get it done. There's lots of rolling Jeep videos on youtube, and 99% are the ones going full tilt Bozo. You don't see many Jeep crashes from a controlled speed. That's true for Moab or anywhere else.

I've embarrassed a few 4x4's in my rig. I've yet to come across a Jeep snob though. Maybe it's because I've driven up the same stuff THEY just did, and am standing there too, so what could they say? I have however, waited until SUV's and trucks have flung dirt everywhere in failed attempts, then crawled up and past their ruts as if the same place suddenly has pavement. It's just a reality of computer controlled clutch packs and traction control.

pjmjr508
05-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I will have to say I will have to use those reponses next time I come across this issue.

I have had a similar issue. When I bought the XK I have checked with all the Jeep 4x4 clubs in the area by sending them a email telling them what I have & that I would like to check out their clubs. Out of 10 I think I got maybe 3 that responded, of those that responded 2 of them said that they felt it would not be a good idea for me to run with them because they felt that I will just damage it, granted they said it nicely it still not I wanted to hear. The 3rd responded that they don't go to the mall & that they go on trails & if I go buy a real jeep to let them know. Here's the Kicker about 3 months later I had went to 4wheel parts next to my place for some more parts I had on order to add to the commander. The 4 wheel parts was having a BBQ for all the local 4x4 clubs and the club with the rude response to be was there and was talking to the parts guy that knows me from the work I have been doing & he turned the the 4x4 guy and said that I have been doing a lot of work & that they should have me join up with them. So they came out to talk to me & was going over my jeep and asked me to come out with them. Once I found out the persons name, I remembered that it was the same person that sent me that response.

So my answer was" I contacted you guys & your response that I needed a real jeep & this is not a Mall Jeep" but thanks anyways. I wish I had a picture of the look on his face, it was priceless.

Can't people just come to terms just because we are not driving what they are but we all like to wheel, can't we all just be happy to be wheelin & not knocking someone elses ride?

Sal-XK
05-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Honestly I don't get that many people disrespecting me or my jeep at least not where I can hear it. The very few that have tired there attempt at a humorous crack against my jeep one of those responses usually shuts them up pretty fast. If not I start picking there jeeps apart which at that point I'm having fun at there expense so I'm good. 99% of the time though my jeep and I are pretty well received out there. I usually get the "it's nice to see a commander treated properly" or "well it does say jeep on it". I like the wrangler personally I thinks its great jeep produces such a vehicle. Don't get mad at the hatters bro most the big mouths never usually never take there jeeps on anything worth repeating or like Adondo said there the peddle smashing idiots on the trail tearing everything up and flipping or getting towed out.

IamJEEP
05-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Well, unfortunately these guys were from 4wheel parts. The funny thing is, that live in my same city. So, I know that those rigs have never seen any kind of wheeling. Those Jeeps were show room paper weights, detailed to the max. Don't get me wrong, they were nice but the owners attitudes ruined them. I just don't get it.

Sal-XK
05-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Well when you get back from the trip you can swing back in talk all the crap you want bro. At least your jeep will have been off road and not some bunny trails either :)

wmjacobsjr
05-23-2011, 06:25 PM
When I bought my 07 XK Sport, my Mom bought her 06 Ram 2500 4X4 at the same time. My boss said your Mom got the man's vehicle and you bought the girl's car. I usually get more positive comments about the XK. I had one guy say that mine was the first he had seen lifted and that it looked great. The guys at JeepSkool seem to love it when a group of us XK owners go there for some off-roading.