PDA

View Full Version : Does this Ball Joint look bad?

collinsgto
05-15-2011, 10:46 AM
sorry for the newb question, but i'd like a second opinion before i tear this thing apart again. so is this ok or does it need replacing? i just dont know how much movement is too much movement. thanks!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/IMAG0152-1.jpg

Sal-XK
05-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Is the Jeep sitting level?

Matt
05-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Any movement is too much movement... Does it move when you hold the tire at the 12 and 6 oclock position and shake it? Note, to properly do this test you'll want to jack the tire off the ground via the lower control arm. If you lift it from the frame, the spring is pushing down with quite a bit of force and will make a bad ball joint not move due to the tension.

collinsgto
05-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Is the Jeep sitting level?
no, its on jackstands with the tire off

Any movement is too much movement... Does it move when you hold the tire at the 12 and 6 oclock position and shake it? Note, to properly do this test you'll want to jack the tire off the ground via the lower control arm. If you lift it from the frame, the spring is pushing down with quite a bit of force and will make a bad ball joint not move due to the tension.
i guess "flex" is the better term. let me get the tire back on it and test this.

edit: got the tire back on it and there's no movement in the components.

damn i wish i could figure out whats going thud and katink. everything seems to be tight! there's gotta be something simple i'm missing.

Matt
05-15-2011, 12:49 PM
disconnect the front sway bar links and take it for a [short] test drive.

Sal-XK
05-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Sway bar bushings worn out maybe

collinsgto
05-15-2011, 02:42 PM
sway bar bushings are fine. already inspected them

Matt
05-15-2011, 02:55 PM
You sure? They're sneaky SOB's. They're under load right now, so you can't just grab them with your hands to see if there's any play. Good thing is they're easy enough to R&R. I'd definitely take them off and go for a short spin to rule them out before chasing down a deceptive front end noise.

cico7
05-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Is the noise in front or back? What lift do you have?
How many miles??? May need new struts.

collinsgto
05-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Is the noise in front or back? What lift do you have?
How many miles??? May need new struts.

Noise seems to be coming from front drivers side suspension. RC 2" space lift. 95k miles. Wouldn't the struts make noise before the lift if they were bad?

CmmdrDan
05-15-2011, 05:46 PM
How long has the lift been on? If it was just installed checks all the nuts and bolts. Make sure everything is tight.

collinsgto
05-15-2011, 08:13 PM
How long has the lift been on? If it was just installed checks all the nuts and bolts. Make sure everything is tight.
ive done that twice. i cant find anything loose. :( its frustrating!

Sal-XK
05-15-2011, 08:31 PM
several jeeps both the XK\WK report this issue after the spacer lift is installed. A good number of them report back that the sway bar bushings replaced solved there problems. For the cheap price of these it might be worth doing it just because. I have the same clunk passenger side on mine. It don't bother me any when the part finally has a catastrophic failure I'll know which one it is and then replace it. Stuff being loose was the other most common response I hear. Good Luck bro

collinsgto
05-15-2011, 09:17 PM
sal, i may just do that anyway and see what happens.

CmmdrDan, i forgot to answer your first question, the lift has been on for 3k or less miles. it had a VERY slight "bump" here and there immediately after the install, but its gotten worse.