PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak / Just do it your self

Sal-XK
06-16-2010, 02:43 PM
I have been having a leak with my XK for a little while now. My passenger floor board collects water. I brought it in once and they said they fixed it. Well it didn't work. So I decided to pull things apart and find the leak my self. Well I found the entry point of the water to the cab and guessed it was the rubber grommet that all the wires come in from the door. I was going to fix it myself but my wife suggested show the dealer and let them fix it. I did that he said he fixed it with sealer and if I could leave my door closed for 24hrs. The next day I opened the door to see his work and holy crap it looked liked my 7 year old put sealer all over the place with his hands. And it still leaks. Well I should of fixed myself stupid me. Now I have to undo all his so called repair clean things up and fix it the right way. He did a such a bad job with all the sealer he used and it still leaks just stupid I grabbed the rubber piece and squeezed it and water came out just stupid. So the moral of the story is if you can fix it just do it your self no body will care about your stuff the way you do.

07JeepXK
06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Are you 100% positive that the water is coming from the rubber grommet? I know there have been a lot of XK owners with similar issues and I dont recall that being a problem.

Sal-XK
06-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Are you 100% positive that the water is coming from the rubber grommet? I know there have been a lot of XK owners with similar issues and I dont recall that being a problem.
I started a thread maybe we can narrow this down...

I'll have to take a picture of where the water is entering. From the inside just to the right of where the wires come in there are to holes side by side where the water leaks in. thats the only spot the water is coming in from. I guess I can run more tests on it to see. What I did was put a garden hose on my roof and crawled into the floor and watched it come in. If its not that rubber piece then I think the only two options left are the roof rails or the windshield.

07JeepXK
06-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Well if water leaks through those two holes when you put a garden hose on the roof then that would be a good start. Fix that issue and then go from there. I dont believe that the roof rails would be causing the problem. Do you have a sun roof?

Sal-XK
06-16-2010, 07:42 PM
No sunroof or anything up there. I wasn't sure how the rails were installed if they could leak or not. My secondary door seal or what ever the TSB was for was fixed already. Its been either 90 degrees out side or its been raining so I hope to undo the idiots repair and start over soon.

07JeepXK
06-16-2010, 07:50 PM
The next thing I was going to mention was the secondary door seal but obviously that shouldnt be the issue if its already been fixed. A few months after I purchased my XK I had water pouring in through the a-pillar and the secondary door seal was the problem. No leaking since the dealer fixed it.

Sal-XK
06-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Ya know what now that I've seen this guys work I think I just might have to revisit that repair as well:rolleyes:

LWM
06-16-2010, 10:21 PM
I'll have to take a picture of where the water is entering.

This might be real helpful for the next unfortunante person.

Sal-XK
06-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Here are the two holes I was talking about. It looks like this idiot tried to plug them as well after I told him not to because the water would just go somewhere else:mad:
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/100_3458JPG-1.jpg
Well here is his repair enough said I think:confused:
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/100_3456JPG-2.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/100_3459JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/100_3460JPG-2.jpg

What a crappy job this guy did man now you know why I'm worried about the secondary door seal he fixed already. What a mess I have to clean up now.

Sal-XK
06-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Any one have suggestions based on the pictures I posted ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LWM
06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I would try the same style of fix but use the proper silicone sealer.

07JeepXK
06-18-2010, 12:05 PM
X2

Im surprised your having water leak through there. I've never seen something like that before.

Sal-XK
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Thats where I think its coming from trying to figure out a way to isolate it with water to double check.

LWM
06-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Put some paper towel behind it, seal it and then run your water. Then you will have to open your seal to see if the paper towel got wet.

Sal-XK
06-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Good idea......

Sal-XK
06-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh boy I think I got some work a head of me. This guy just loaded that crap all over the place I think I might need to take my door off to get enough room to fix this. Anybody know off hand how the wires unplug from the plastic grommet thing. I need to unplug those to clean and repair this mess even If i leave the door on.

07JeepXK
06-24-2010, 06:10 AM
Any updates?

NeilSmith
06-24-2010, 06:14 AM
We havent had a door off of a Commander yet but typically there a gang plug, or two, inside the door. Maybe someone that has had the door panel off can help out on this ?

Sal-XK
06-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Well I was driving by the dealership today and got mad and decided to drop in and complain about the ****ty work that was done. Well the guy was not there so I told the other service guy what happen and I was up set and he said the other guy would call me back. few hours a later he did call me back to inform me that they just fired the water guy. I guess I was not the only customer having issues with his work and they had enough. So now he wants me to drop the jeep off again on Monday and there taking to the guys boss at his shop to have it done correctly. So we will see I have nothing to loose letting them try again I guess the rubber boot and plastic grommet are already ruined in my opinion and need to be replaced so theres not a hole lot more crap for them to mess up. So one more try at the dealership.

LWM
06-24-2010, 10:49 AM
At lease they realized THEY had a problem and are working to correct it. Let us know how it turnes out.

Sal-XK
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Well I got my Jeep back last night finally. The rental car a jetta seriously, I drove the thing home walked in took my wifes keys and left with her car LOL. Well it seems that the water leak is fixed they cleaned up the other guys mess and put my boot on correctly. All the dealer guy knew was they found a spot where it was coming in from the A pillar big shock there man. So my guess is it was the TSB for the secondary door seal which is the first thing he said he fixed. I don't think this guy could fix a sandwich. It rained pretty hard and my floor board stayed dry so we will see how goes. Either way I don't think I will bring it back to the dealer. I don't like crappy work done even if it is free.

07JeepXK
07-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Glad you got it fixed. After you mentioning what a bad job they did in the first place I started wondering about the secondary door seal.

sean112280
10-04-2011, 05:16 AM
My secondary door seal or what ever the TSB was for was fixed already. .

Sal do you have a copy of this TSB? I don't know if mine has been repaired or not, but would like to check it out.

Sal-XK
10-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Sal do you have a copy of this TSB? I don't know if mine has been repaired or not, but would like to check it out.

No I don't I think we have a thread here with a link to all the TSB's I'd find it but I'm on my phone.

superacerc
10-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Well I got my Jeep back last night finally. The rental car a jetta seriously Watch yourself here buddy lol. Even though you probably had the 2.5L Blender it's still a nice car (unless it was a new model one. If so I understand. The quality on the new ones went down and they got fat and ugly. I love my 07 jetta GLI right down to the leather wrapped F1 style Steering wheel.

Hope you stay dry. (if you were in TX you'd have no issues as it hasn't rained this year really)

Sal-XK
10-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Watch yourself here buddy lol. Even though you probably had the 2.5L Blender it's still a nice car (unless it was a new model one. If so I understand. The quality on the new ones went down and they got fat and ugly. I love my 07 jetta GLI right down to the leather wrapped F1 style Steering wheel.

Hope you stay dry. (if you were in TX you'd have no issues as it hasn't rained this year really)

:)