PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend National State Park / November 9-13, 2011

superacerc
05-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Hello all,
Just figured I'd start putting out the word. After going to marble falls several times I'm ready for something a bit different. I saw a write up on Big Bend Nat'l park and it looks like a fantastic place to wheel. Going to try and go either august or september. I'll nail that down when the time gets a little closer.
Probably won't camp. It will be a bit warm. Should be there about 2-3 days. It'll take me about 11-12 hrs to get there from houston. It's actually pretty close to south eastern arizona and southern New Mexico (at least closer than it is to me).

I'm going to see if any people from work want to go as well so it may not be all commanders or anything.
A sample:
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/Big_Bend_National_Park__rock_formation-1.jpg

cico7
05-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Wow, Looks great!

strokeZ
05-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Im in

LWM
05-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I might be able to fit it in.

superacerc
05-17-2011, 04:16 PM
That'd be great. The more the better.

superacerc
05-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Going to have to be in september. I was selcted to be deployed as a french translator onboard a cutter off the coast of africa. Just found out about it. Apparently there are only eight registered french translators in the coast guard and im one of them. Yay.

superacerc
08-28-2011, 08:00 PM
In light of me just returning from overseas, i'm going to have to postpone the Big bend trip untill sometime later this year or early next year. Anyone interested let me know when is good for you. I think Strokez can't go in october or november unless he has changed plans, which would be fine for me. Put your two cents in everyone and let me know when you're interested and we'll try to nail down a time. My XK is itching to go somewhere fun.

superacerc
09-06-2011, 09:34 AM
The New Official Date of the Outing will be November 9th-13th. So far it seems that there will be 2 XK's, 3 wranglers, an H2 and an F250. Anyone else who wants to join in is welcome!

Can a moderator Change the name of the thread and remove late summer and put the new dates in? I'd appreciate it.

superacerc
09-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I had to look this up due to my concern of being on the mexican border in light of recent issues of homicides due to drug traffic lately. I'm no longer concerned. The AR and a pistol will be in the XK with the family.

FYI:
"As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please review this PDF of Texas Firearm Regulations

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

Keep in mind that the regulations to carry a firearm do not permit the discharging of a firearm. The discharge of a firearm is still illegal in national parks."

LWM
09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Can a moderator Change the name of the thread and remove late summer and put the new dates in?

Done!

I would like to go but that is NASCAR week here in Phoenix.

superacerc
09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
It's officially official now that my leave was approved! My wife is going but not my kids. I got my mom to watch them for the trip. That should make it a lot more fun since they're still too little to enjoy it (and it makes my wife miserable to keep up with them on trips). Looks like it's 20 dollars entry fee and 10-14 to stay in a campsite each night. The only person from theultimatejeep going besides myself right now is strokez. Feel free to join us there! The White Rubicon from my first set of Hidden Falls pics is going as well.
Here's a few enticing photos of the park.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/3258684092_4e3b4fa489-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/bigbendnationalparktx144-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/RioGrandeRiverBigBendNationalParkTexas-1.jpg

Holaday07 4.7
09-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Where is this (what state?)

superacerc
09-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Texas. The park has 4 paved roads and over 20 unpaved and unimproved vehicle trails and primitive camp sites some of which are along the Rio Grande. Elevations go from 1000-a few thousand feet. It's the Least visited Nat'l Park in the US and one of the largest.

Sal-XK
09-29-2011, 07:24 PM
I think I will add this to my list of places to see!

Holaday07 4.7
09-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Looks really cool, I wish there were more places like that around here:(

superacerc
09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
I think I will add this to my list of places to see!

I hear it'll be really nice out there on the 9th-13th of Nov. You should probably visit it then.

@ Holiday: I kind wish i had more green places like yours. (Always greener on the other side)

strokeZ
10-19-2011, 05:49 AM
This should be a good trip! My buddy with the H2 bailed. Trying to get a few others to join in. Regardless will be a good time. I will be running solo (I think).

superacerc
10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
This should be a good trip! My buddy with the H2 bailed. Trying to get a few others to join in. Regardless will be a good time. I will be running solo (I think).

He probably thought it would be too tough for the H2, lol. Yeah i'm getting excited to go. Should be nice. I plan on taking lots of nice photos. They're be 4 vehicles total then including you and me. My wife and my buddy's wife will be going and the other guy will probably be by himself unless he can convince someone else to go with him.

superacerc
11-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Last Chance to join in everyone.
The bulk of our group is leaving on Tuesday afternoon (8th) with the goal of just staying past San Antonio. StrokeZ will meet us there in the morning and we'll continue up to Big Bend Via State HWY 90 which is more senic than I-10. We're going to do some camping, hiking, and 4 wheeling of course (which is the only way to get around the park). There are natural Hot Springs to swim in which should be nice now that the weather is cooling. There are canyons galore, old mining towns/ghost towns to explore, waterfalls (if there's enough water), indian villages, rare species of fauna, and some animals (about half of which we will prefer to only see at a distance). The longest continuous primitive road in the park has a suggested time it takes to complete of almost a full day (51 miles of 4x4 required to pass fun).

We'll be sure and take some photos/videos.

pjmjr508
11-01-2011, 05:52 PM
have a blast guys & looking forward to the pictures

strokeZ
11-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Well it was a great trip - should be a bunch of pic soon. I will load mine when I am back from out of town (again but for work this time). Just as we hit civilization the front axle coupling failed (or at least I hope that is all it was). Had the XK towed to San Antonio for diagnosis. Got a ride back in a really nice JK Rubicon so not all that bad. Ryan did a great job of coordinating and setting things up! Can't wait til the next trip.

Sal-XK
11-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Well it was a great trip - should be a bunch of pic soon. I will load mine when I am back from out of town (again but for work this time). Just as we hit civilization the front axle coupling failed (or at least I hope that is all it was). Had the XK towed to San Antonio for diagnosis. Got a ride back in a really nice JK Rubicon so not all that bad. Ryan did a great job of coordinating and setting things up! Can't wait til the next trip.

Let us know what broke bro that stinks and I'm looking forward to the pics...

superacerc
11-14-2011, 12:15 PM
The part that broke was the front drive shaft coupling coming out of the transfer case. If you look at it it's perfectly round with 5-8 small bolts in it and a rubber boot coming out that attaches to the shaft. The bearings went out. First one i've ever heard of. Pictures will come soon. I have to get home to up load them maybe tonight. No casualtys occured while on trails.

strokeZ
11-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Update - well the front drive shaft is shot and is being replaced in San Antonio. This also blew out the front coupling. It is all being covered under the extended warranty. I will find details out when I pick it up.

superacerc
11-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Lucky!

Sal-XK
11-17-2011, 07:30 PM
That stinks glad it's being covered though. I'm a little surprised they didn't at least give you a hard time about the modifications.

Holaday07 4.7
11-18-2011, 05:28 AM
No problems with the Jeep being lifted? this really makes me happy I forked over the extra cash for one.

strokeZ
11-18-2011, 05:00 PM
So I picked up the beastie today. It was the front drive shaft not axle - I corrected the original post. Anyhoo YES they covered the repair under my extended warranty no questions asked. However, when I picked the Jeep up I was told the battery was dead as a doornail. They tried to charge - no go. Then they finally got it started now the anti-skid and ESP / BAS lights are on and will not turn off. I was told this was typical for a battery with low voltage, so on my way home I had the battery checked and it turns out its just fine (I replaced the stocker with a HD battery a little over a year ago) Diagnostic code = U 110A. At this point I am perplexed but it seems to run just fine. I guess its off to another dealer next week....sigh.

TrialByFire
11-18-2011, 09:25 PM
So I picked up the beastie today. It was the front drive shaft not axle - I corrected the original post. Anyhoo YES they covered the repair under my extended warranty no questions asked. However, when I picked the Jeep up I was told the battery was dead as a doornail. They tried to charge - no go. Then they finally got it started now the anti-skid and EDS / BAS lights are on and will not turn off. I was told this was typical for a battery with low voltage, so on my way home I had the battery checked and it turns out its just fine (I replaced the stocker with a HD battery a little over a year ago) Diagnostic code = U 110A. At this point I am perplexed but it seems to run just fine. I guess its off to another dealer next week....sigh.

Ahh, yes. The infamous ESP/BAS light. I've had it twice now. Probably one of the ABS sensors got dirty.

Sounds like you have a backup battery now also!

strokeZ
11-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Final update - Was with superacerc and we disconnected the battery for a few min and all the alerts cleared. My hunch is that either the techs or the towing company left the external lights on and that drained the battery. Those items flashed due to low voltage and never cleared. I had zero issues all day so I am calling this one good.

Sal-XK
11-19-2011, 07:31 PM
That's a easy fix uh LOL

strokeZ
11-19-2011, 10:48 PM
I love easy fixes!!!! You would think that the dealer would have set it up before I drove it home. That got me a little concerned. Sometimes the "what the hell, can't hurt" fix is the best!