PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Changes

hinchcliffe
05-17-2011, 11:17 AM
We are in the midst of buying an '06 with QT-II and standard diff's (No Vari-lock), so I'll be changing fluid in both diffs and Transfer case, tranny, coolant oil. What are the recommendations for each?

I'll be doing all synthetic and my current WJ has Quadra Drive so I had to use FM with the 75w-140, which I no longer need. Transfer Case is NV247 so the "Special" Mopar fluid is used, correct? Oil 5w-30, yes? Transmission is 545RFE so ATF +4?

Matt
05-17-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm a big Amsoil fan. Its in my engine, diffs and tcase.
You can look up the specs for your particular vehicle at Amsoil.com to see what the proper fluids are. In some cases, they'll actually tell you when there's not an Amsoil product that meets/exceeds OEM requirements. (One example is the CVT used in the Ford Freestyle.... found that out doing some work on my neighbors vehicles )

Sal-XK
05-17-2011, 12:09 PM
I used Mobil 1 no issues with it. The Transfer case fluid I can't remember what the brand was, it was bought from my local repair shop it was that or the dealer. Your TC should also be a NV245 the same as the QD2 TC.

superacerc
05-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Correct on the ATF+4.

hinchcliffe
05-31-2011, 07:36 PM
OK what coolant should I be changing to? The stuff in it is pink/red, I assume that is not good.

Matt
05-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Coolant is dealer only HOAT. There's an aftermarket version supposedly available but I couldn't find it at any parts store within a 20 mile radius...

hinchcliffe
07-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Coolant capacity is 14 Qts (3.5 Gal.).

How much fluid is in the diffs & transfer case?

Which diff fluid to use in a XK with Quardra Trac? No reason for FM, correct?

hinchcliffe
07-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Search is my friend::::

4qts 75w-140 no FM should take care of the front and rear

2 qts NV245/247 Fluid from the dealer.

What mileage for a waterpump change?

07JeepXK
07-09-2011, 07:41 PM
You are correct on the differential fluid and not needing the FM in a QT II XK. You have a NV245 which I've found takes a little less then 2 quarts to fill. As for the mileage on the waterpump, I was actually thinking about changing mine soon. I have about 85,000 miles on my XK and was purchased brand new. I've found them for a decient price at the local auto parts store for a lot less then what the dealer wants and it even has a lifetime warranty. Its a new water pump, not a reman. Id recommend replacing the thermostat while your at it.

Matt
07-10-2011, 07:08 AM
water pumps have a weep hole. They're designed to start leaking loooong before having a catastrophic failure. Wait for it to start leaking, then replace it.

07JeepXK
07-10-2011, 12:15 PM
The only reason I thought about replacing mine is because im gone many months at a time with the Army up at Fort Drum and if it were to fail up there id be screwed. I dont have the time when Im away to be fixing the XK because of our crazy schedule and absolutely no days off. Plus once a month I still have to drive 5 1/2 hours away near NY City for drill and Id hate to be on the side of the road with an over heating vehicle.

Matt
07-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I hear ya...but it's very rare that a water pump will leave you stranded... more often then not that's because someone was ignoring the leak and then it finally gives out.

Alternators and starters are just as common of a failure as the water pump that could leave you stranded. Hell, even the power steering pump can fail and leave you stranded if it seizes and ruins the belt. I know these parts are a bit more money than a water pump, just pointing out that there's quite a few other things that are replaceable as well if you really want to replace parts before you have an issue. There usually aren't any warning signs with the alternators go.... just that battery light comes on and you run out of juice.