PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon Trail

pjmjr508
05-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Question;
Has anyone that you know of taken a XK thru the Rubicon Trail?
Also does anyone want to?

I have been thinking about it & have seen different companies doing ad's about bring your personal rig (including stock) for a 3 or 4 day run. So I have thought a lot of us have modded ours, and they are more than capable compared to other Jeeps so why not? Keep in mind I have never run it myself so if you have please speak up

Sal-XK
05-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I have wet dreams at night about that trail :)

TrialByFire
05-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I'd love to do it too. Maybe next summer (2012) after I have a bit more experience.
I'm headed up to Moab next week for a few days. That should help.

hoaxci5
05-17-2011, 07:42 PM
I was joking with the trail guides at the Jeep Jamboree that I was going to armor up and go and then put Rubicon stickers on my XK. I'd love to do it, but I'm not prepared or experienced enough yet.

Sal-XK
05-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Thats diffidently a major trip to plan out. For us on the east coast a once in a lifetime trip to plan for. I don't think anyone has enough armor for that trail yet LOL. I've heard myths about a commander that went down that trail. It returned with dents all over every body panel but it was stock as the myth goes.

hoaxci5
05-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm gonna do it.. it won't be a myth. <5 year window there I said it.

LWM
05-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I would love to try it but the Commander would need a lot more modification for that trail.

WanderingTs
05-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I live within sight of part of that trail, and as of yet it has not seen the underside of my tires. I would be more than happy to go and be part of the XK takeover!

HueyPilotVN
05-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I did the Rubicon several years ago with members of my old jeep club "The Seirra Ridge Riders" out of Sacremento. I did it in a Wrangler and most of it was not all that extreme. The tougher parts have alternate routes around them. I am not saying this to discourage anyone from making the trip, just saying with common sense you can take a Commander thru it.

By the Way, Lee and I are now up in Show Low sitting in a pine forest about 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

pjmjr508
05-18-2011, 09:13 AM
What was making me think about it was the Jeep Jambree is doing it this year, I don't think I will be able to do this year, but would really like to try for next year. Other than the rear sliders & the front Skid (Which I will have before doing this) I have the rest that is required & then some for this. A little concerned tho because I only have the RC 2" lift on 31's. Just worried do I really have enough clearence? The Jeep is more than capable.

Sal-XK
05-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Well going with the common saying at the Camp pre run a few weeks ago "if you can't clear it, Drag it" :)

pjmjr508
05-18-2011, 04:28 PM
was thinking along the same lines lol

pjmjr508
07-16-2011, 08:02 PM
For all those people that have done this trail, a question.
How long does it take to get thru it? Some read its a few days to a week.
Also to add to my list of needed I think a metal front & rear bumper will be needed on top of what I have to get thur the trail with tearing it up.
Any thoughts? (anyone)

XK N00b
07-17-2011, 01:54 PM
This is a good thread, I am very interested in going, I'm pretty confident in the Jeep and in my own ability, however this isn't something I'd do on my own. If we could organize a timeline and a recommended/required parts/equipment list, count me in.

Also, from what I understand (and I could be misinformed) that "Trail Rated" badge on the fender means that Jeep took one of these and completed the Rubicon trail with it, Stock. I also remember seeing photos in Four Wheeler(?) magazine of a 2011 Grand Cherokee post earning that badge and it was in a condition that would make my wife very upset with me if it came home looking like that.

ped4599
07-17-2011, 04:23 PM
This is a good thread, I am very interested in going, I'm pretty confident in the Jeep and in my own ability, however this isn't something I'd do on my own. If we could organize a timeline and a recommended/required parts/equipment list, count me in.

Also, from what I understand (and I could be misinformed) that "Trail Rated" badge on the fender means that Jeep took one of these and completed the Rubicon trail with it, Stock. I also remember seeing photos in Four Wheeler(?) magazine of a 2011 Grand Cherokee post earning that badge and it was in a condition that would make my wife very upset with me if it came home looking like that.

I am not so sure about the "badge" meaning it has been over that trail. i have heard that many times and its always been proven as a myth. the criteria for the badge are spelled out on the jeep web site....i dont think it mentions the rubicon trail.

I do know a few years back there was a company that took a stock xk on the rubicon trail. from the article and photos posted at that time the XK made it...just had lots of body damage. I think that is the case with any 4x4 and 4x4 trail....its not usually a question of making it...its how much damage will you have.

Holaday07 4.7
07-17-2011, 05:00 PM
They took a couple of the Trail Teams 4runners there about a year ago for the unveiling of the 2011 model. Almost every body panel was dented, and there was a good amount of scrapeing. They did not do bypasses, but from what I have read and seen online about the trail, anything close to a fullsize will come out with dents. I would like to say I have done it someday, but probably would not throw the XK at it till it is a trail only rig.

XK N00b
07-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I am not so sure about the "badge" meaning it has been over that trail. i have heard that many times and its always been proven as a myth. the criteria for the badge are spelled out on the jeep web site....i dont think it mentions the rubicon trail.

It doesn't say anything about "completing" the trail, but this is straight from Jeep's website:

TRAIL RATED - MADE TO OVERCOME

Before a Jeep® 4x4 is worthy of our name, we test it on some of the toughest off-road areas in the world, including Moab and the Rubicon Trail. If it passes these tests, in five categories - traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording - it gets a Trail Rated® badge, which means it can handle whatever obstacles you encounter.

I'd like to know what the standards are for those categories

pjmjr508
07-18-2011, 12:34 AM
I rather not dent the heck out of mine as well, now the 4 runners that was dented up, were they stock or built? How much modding do we need to ours to prevent to dent up the rig; if poss?
I do agree about what was said about doing as a group thing verses doing alone if enough wants to join in.

thoughts?

ped4599
07-18-2011, 01:16 AM
It doesn't say anything about "completing" the trail, but this is straight from Jeep's website:

TRAIL RATED - MADE TO OVERCOME

Before a Jeep® 4x4 is worthy of our name, we test it on some of the toughest off-road areas in the world, including Moab and the Rubicon Trail. If it passes these tests, in five categories - traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording - it gets a Trail Rated® badge, which means it can handle whatever obstacles you encounter.

I'd like to know what the standards are for those categories

COOL! I have not looked at that on the jeep sight for a long time, but it never used to mention specific trails.
I have been to on of the traveling jeep demonstrations where they let you test drive different jeeps. they usualy have the standards listed there. I cant remember all of them, but the water fording is usually 19-22 inches depending on which model you get. My wife's patriot is 19 inches for sure. I think 4LO is part of the requirement for the trail rated badge.

ped4599
07-18-2011, 01:19 AM
COOL! I have not looked at that on the jeep sight for a long time, but it never used to mention specific trails.
I have been to on of the traveling jeep demonstrations where they let you test drive different jeeps. they usualy have the standards listed there. I cant remember all of them, but the water fording is usually 19-22 inches depending on which model you get. My wife's patriot is 19 inches for sure. I think 4LO is part of the requirement for the trail rated badge.
XKNOOB, go a back to the jeep sight were you copy that info from.....look below that....there are bottons to click on for more info that give some of the standards.It says 19 inches for the water..but i guess that the only detail i could see.

Holaday07 4.7
07-18-2011, 03:48 AM
For all those people that have done this trail, a question.
How long does it take to get thru it? Some read its a few days to a week.
Also to add to my list of needed I think a metal front & rear bumper will be needed on top of what I have to get thur the trail with tearing it up.
Any thoughts? (anyone)

Stock except for a set of MTRs, Beats me what you would need, but we have a longer wheelbase than the 4runner, and they had dents in the doors and fenders. Might just be the lines they chose, but it makes me skeptical.

Sal-XK
07-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Obviously you will need every piece of armor sold and a real good set of rock sliders. Also front and rear steel bumpers are a must especially the rear bumper you will be slamming it down the entire time. 33" tires don't care what lift you have or how you fit them on that would be the smallest tire I would try it with. I would run the trail doors off with some solid tubbed doors installed. I would also make some custome armor for the rear drive shaft and rear diff area protecting that are so you can slide off or over stuff. Of course a really decent winch with plent of shackles and pulleys and stuff so you can get creative when it comes time to get pulled off or over something. That would be my minimum requirements so the trail is fun and not a nightmare to take. A stock unlimited can make it we can have some fun with this setup on the trail. Also you can strip the jeep as well pull the fenders and the doors there ain't a whole left to dent.

NeilSmith
07-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Dude, sounds like an expensive ride.

pjmjr508
07-18-2011, 11:41 AM
hmmm now is the expense worth it, not sure yet.
I have all the skids and rockrails already except the front, and the rear sliders from 4x. Still need to get front & rear bumpers as well. also unless I want to upgrade to a 4" lift I do not seeing getting 33's under it, I have 31's now.
I do like the input on this thread, so keep it coming.

Sal-XK
07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I was pretty much describing my build except I will be shooting for 35" tires. I also should add to the list front and rear disconnects, JBA UCA'S and adjustable front strut and longer shocks in the rear and don't forget the fuel tank mod so the rear can flex all the way. If you looking at a chance without any body damage and it's only a chance these are the things I would do or I am going to do.

pjmjr508
07-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks Sal. Now from what I have read front disconnects are not a good idea, but the rears with limiting straps are a must.

XK N00b
07-18-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure if this is encouraging or not, but here are some photos of a stock WK earning its badge and the results
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Sal-XK
07-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Front discos are rough on the parts for sure but the damage done is cheap enough fixed and a lot cheaper then body damage and it's not like the half shafts and tirods will wear out over night either. I think for that once in a life time trip it's well worth it.

That WK is messed up man LOL that looked like fun especially if your not covering the cost to repair it.

pjmjr508
07-18-2011, 11:39 PM
I do see your point.
Now yes they are beat up, still keep in mind that they are completely stock. So along those lines, I have this question. If I remember right that the new wk has an air ride system which raises it for off road; the question is this how much of max clearence did that stock wk have and got that damage compared to our lifted modded rigs.

Sal-XK
07-19-2011, 03:55 AM
From the pics it looks like a decent set of rockers and a steel bumper would of absorbed most if not all the damage. Keeping in mind that they probably took plenty of bypasses. With our longer wheel base and longer over hang in the back means you will be slamming that rear down a lot. A steel bumper and a slide on the frame rails back there will help you just scoot down all those ledges. Increasing the articulation will help a lot with all the off camber stuff you will find your self in so I think the front discos with the new arms and struts are well worth it.

Holaday07 4.7
07-19-2011, 06:32 AM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/RubiconSample2-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/RubiconSample1-1.jpg

Stock Commander Limited, with professional drivers and lots of rock stacking. This is the damage that I would be worried about. I dont mind dragging the bottom over a few rocks, but the doors, and all the body panels are f'ed up, not what I want to do to my daily driver. This was to earn the Trail Rated badge though.

Holaday07 4.7
07-19-2011, 06:34 AM
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/1223129-stock-vehicle-rubicon.html

Here is the thread of a bunch of guys bashing on the XK as well.

Holaday07 4.7
07-19-2011, 07:09 AM
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/SarahannZeski/Bryan%20Added/?action=view&current=Commander.mp4

NeilSmith
07-19-2011, 08:22 AM
i dont believe that is what earns the trail rated badge per say. that trail is just where the get the rubicon name for the wranglers. being trail rated doesnt mean you can traverse the rubicon trail in a stock liberty, or commander for that matter. if you dont give a damn what kind of damage you get you could wheel any vehicle you wanted. in my opinion " trail rated " and " rubicon " are just names meant to get sales and in the real world dont really mean much.

Holaday07 4.7
07-19-2011, 08:29 AM
I had read something in a magazine that Jeep was using the trails as proof it was more than just marketing. Either way, I just thought it was interesting to see how much damage was done to the Commander.

pjmjr508
07-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Dam a lot of damage in stock form, it still completed it tho. Now we know the drive trail can do it, now to get the body to live thru it with little to none. I do see that bumpers & sliders will be a must before even attempting at the least.

XK N00b
07-19-2011, 06:47 PM
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/1223129-stock-vehicle-rubicon.html

Here is the thread of a bunch of guys bashing on the XK as well.

I was wondering if anyone else read this using that arrogant yacht club accent

Holaday07 4.7
07-20-2011, 04:00 AM
I was wondering if anyone else read this using that arrogant yacht club accent

No, but after you said that I did. Much more enjoyable that way

pjmjr508
07-20-2011, 09:13 AM
LOL

WanderingTs
07-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I actually set out with the intent to run this trail last week. After talking to some other locals, I decided not to risk it due to the extremely high water crossings this year due to the HUGE snowpack we got. Rivers are still running very high. I didn't want to be turned back by water. On the trails I did take, I got snowed out in a few places. There were also several trails I couldn't take due to water crossings that should have been dry by now.

The only two things I am really worried about on the Rubicon is the "gatekeeper" section, which has few bypasses, and another section I have seen photos of but never seen in person. That place has a narrow pass through betweeen boulders with a turn right next to it. I have seen photos of rubicons with only a couple inches clearance on either side. I am wondering if the longer wheelbase will make it.

My plan is to go in from the Tahoe side (easy way) and work my way back until I get to something I don't want to cross. I am pretty well armored, but I don't want to damage anything, especially the body if I can help it. I am much more interested in seeing the country than taking the hard way. That means I will take any bypass I can find to keep going.

Hopefully I may get a day or two to do this in the next few weeks. Watch for photos of my other adventure last week (including my first winch rescue) coming soon (I hope) to another thread.

TrialByFire
07-20-2011, 09:36 PM
You must be referring to the Sluice Box (at least I think that's what they call it). It looks ugly!
I can't wait for some first-hand reporting! ..and, I await your photos of your "other adventure."

pjmjr508
07-20-2011, 11:24 PM
x2

From everything I have been seeing about the trail this year it got a extreme amount of snow this last winter. Project JK was showing large amount of snow still there as well in their videos from a few days ago. Do we know how wide that box is?