PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tools discussion- Power Tools

Matt
05-20-2011, 03:07 PM
So i had a good conversation with a friend at work today who has a JK lifted on 35s.

The conversation started when I mentioned the VIAIR 400P OBA kit that i'm looking at, its $250 and looks like a nice kit for filling tires. He said that he's saving up for an OBA kit that can run air tools... here's where the discussion got good. A little background, i used to be a mechanic so I have an extensive air tool collection (and quality stuff at that, not "budget" equipment that you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, etc). He doesn't have any air tools, which you'll see really made him love my idea.

I ran a pretty sweet OBA setup years ago that was 2 high CFM VIAIR pumps into a 5 gallon tank. While it was "ok" for running an impact, it was practically useless for running any tools that required constant pressure at high flow rate (like a grinder). So to recap, my $1000 OBA kit left a lot to be desired for running tools; even quality tools. Granted working in a shop with an endless supply of air and having my own 60 gallon compressor at home makes me a bit bias... but it also gives me a good basis for how tools should work.

I then broke it out for him:
$1000-$1500 (depending on the setup he was looking at) for his air supply kit
$100 for a cheap impact gun, $300 for a good one
$50-$100 for a cutoff tool (which sucks to use without a large tank or really high CFM pump)

So he's basically looking at spending $1500-$2000 depending on what OBA kit he gets and what tools he buys.. and his capabilities are basically a SWEET super fast tire inflator and mediocre air tool performance that's limited to a vicinity around his jeep due to the umbilical cord air line.

Then I gave him my recommendation:
Having "been there/ done that", first and foremost my 18V XRP Dewalt 1/2" high torque impact is leaps and bounds stronger than my $400 Matco 1/2" air impact was with my OBA kit. He also has no other tools in his arsenal right now...
So i told him to get this kit: Dewalt DCK675L (http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-combo-packs-18-volt-combo-packs-dck675l.aspx)
Which can be had for $650 HERE (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK675L-18-Volt-Cordless-Technology/dp/B0015VT2HA)

Here's how I broke it down for him... $650 for that Dewalt kit and $250 for the VIAIR "tire inflator" comes out to under $1000.... basically half price of what he's looking at spending for a tire inflator via the other setup.
Benefits:
1) Half the price
2) Better performance for the tools
3) MORE tool options. Impact gun + sawzaw + grinder + light + drill (which ALL come in handy offroad
4) No "umbilical cord" to your vehicle
5) Tools have more uses than just offroad (I use my Dewalt kit constantly around the house and also have the circular saw and jigsaw).
6) OBA is not "part of" your vehicle. You can throw that kit in any vehicle that you're taking a road trip in.

I then asked him to give me one really good reason (beyond the cool factor of course :cool:) for running his $2000 OBA kit.... his response "well, with your setup you're carrying all of those tools"... :confused: Yeah, before I even said it he realized his error. The only added "cargo" with my setup is the VIAIR pump because its not "integrated" in the vehicle... in both cases you're bringing the other tools with you in a case.

Another side note... i busted his balls a bit before he borrowed my dewalt grinder to modify the frame mount for his winch bumper and he raved about how it cut through like butter. So i just reminded him how much he liked that one tool alone :p

So anyway, this was just a pretty good discussion we had at lunch today and figured i'd bring it here.

Might even give you guys who are putting together your "offroad kits" some ideas.

LWM
05-20-2011, 05:10 PM
I have the Warn Powermate winch with OBA built in and it will run some basic air tools so I carry and nut driver for removing the lug nuts.

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Matt
05-20-2011, 05:20 PM
The Warn actually came up briefly in our discussion... and I basically said that's a GREAT point... if you're going to spend ~$1500, get the Warn Winch with the OBA built in.

Did you ever get an external reservoir for it? Or do you just run yours direct?

LWM
05-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Did you ever get an external reservoir for it? Or do you just run yours direct?

I run mine direct, I do have a portable extension in the garage but I have never used it on the Jeep (one more thing to carry).

Sal-XK
05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I agree with getting the dewalt kit. The 18V tools have tons of power and you can charge the batteries with a small inverter so as long as you have two batteries you should never be down. I carry my dewalt kit and well you seen the video actually used the saw. I also carry my dremel tool because the thing is so handy just plug into my jeep and its all good. I also carry an assortment of tools including electrical solder-less connectors and stuff which we used trying to fix Neils CB. OBA is only good for IMO for tires its just not needed for tools with todays batteries. I also carry a grade 5 hardware kit for those moments.

superacerc
05-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Oba is also great for that web locker we should all have....sigh maybe one day.