PDA

View Full Version : Full Size Spare tire

SKIUTAHJEEP
05-23-2011, 06:59 PM
In the next few days I am picking up my full size spare. 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 and a matching MB wheel v-drive. 687 When I had my new tires installed I had them see if it would fit where the stock spare goes and it fits even when its inflated. Now here is my question. When I am wheeling I am thinking about securing my spare in the hatch over the 3rd row of seats so I don’t risk hitting the spare when wheeling. The tires are about 1" closer to the ground since it is a wider tire. Has anyone done this? I am sure a few bungee cords or twine will keep it from bouncing around. (sounds ghetto I know) Or should I just keep the tire under the car? And what do you guys use to put your jack on when out in the dirt? Some sort of metal plate? Wood? Your foot? :)

Sal-XK
05-23-2011, 07:14 PM
I bang my spare all the time under neath there. Haven't had an issue yet I just consider it a ghetto rock slider LOL. But some bungee cords will hold it down in the back it's just taking up cargo space back there. If you have the cross rails just move them real close and strap it up there.

Chapman89
05-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Well I know for a fact that the 265/70 didn't fit under my XK, do you the factory tow package?

You could definitely secure it in the cargo area or just strap it to the roof before you go wheeling like I do. I figure if anything happens while in town I'll call AAA.

SKIUTAHJEEP
05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
No, I do not have the tow package... that must be why it fits. I will take a photo once I get it installed. I do like the roof idea better for wheeling than throwing it in the cargo area. Thanks for the tips.

TrialByFire
05-23-2011, 09:13 PM
I bang my spare all the time under neath there. Haven't had an issue yet I just consider it a ghetto rock slider LOL.

Same here. Without the spare underneath, there is a lot to get hung up on. If it fits, leave it. On the roof you'll just be more tippy.

hoaxci5
05-24-2011, 08:00 AM
I leave mine underneath.. as far as the jack goes, if you lifted and got bigger tires make sure your stock jack will still work on solid ground before you need it. Mine didn't so I bought a piece of 4x4 (I think?) that is big enough to put under the jack to give it the extra height should I ever need to use it.

pjmjr508
05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
it must because of the tow package, I wish I could have mine underneith, but mine will not fit & same size tire. I have mine strapped to my roof rack. Also when lifted & larger tires you should pick up a highlift jack or something like it.

Matt
05-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Are you planning on doing a 5 wheel rotation? If not, I'd just use the stock rim and put a larger tire on that. A wider aftermarket rim is a waste under there and just decreases clearance.

As far as the hi-lift.... they're really not needed with a 2" spacer lift and 32-33" tires. There aren't any lift points in the front (stock anyway) and the stock jack is plenty to get the rear up when placed under the axle. You're better off carrying around a little platform made by two 4x4s screwed together.... the stock jack on that wont have any issue getting the fronts off the ground, especially with just a 2" spacer lift where you really don't need to go much higher than if you were changing the tire on a stock XK (since you're not "adding" 2 inches of down travel, you just reduce how far the jack actually has to raise the vehicle)

Tymac
05-24-2011, 01:12 PM
I have my 265/70 underneath and I have a factory tow package. I just air the tire down to fit. I have OBA so I'm never out of hot air :rolleyes:

pjmjr508
05-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I have my 265/70 underneath and I have a factory tow package. I just air the tire down to fit. I have OBA so I'm never out of hot air :rolleyes:

I tried to get mine to fit & also had the tire shop try with no air in the tire & we could not get it to fit.

SKIUTAHJEEP
05-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Yes, I plan on rotating in the 5th wheel. I need a new wheel regardless because if I got a flat up front I would need a wheel with a 25 offset so the tire does not hit the knuckle.
With the 5 tire rotation, do you think I am ok to rotate every 5k miles or should i stay closer to 3-4k?

Matt
05-24-2011, 06:42 PM
I'd just stick with 5k... keep it simple :)

Sal-XK
05-24-2011, 07:23 PM
5k is fine I'm doing mine every 6k when I do my oil change and there wearing perfectly.

Holaday07 4.7
05-25-2011, 05:53 AM
I do oil every 3k and rotation every 6k. Seems to be working alright, Sal what kind of oil are you using to go every 6k, I have an extended warrenty and heard they get voided if you don't follow exactly to specs.

Matt
05-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Uh oh I sense an oil discussion brewing! Lol.

FWIW, I use a group 3 or group 4 synthetic (Amsoil) and change my oil & rotate tires every 5k. Its easy to keep track of (anyone can divide by 5) and I know its safe. :)

Holaday07 4.7
05-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Cool I have just heard things about these extended warrenty companies being shady if you don't follow the exact timetable Jeep recomended. If I can use another oil and do it every 5 or 6 it would be great. If you guys have any experience with these I would greatly appreciate an input.

thanks

Matt
05-25-2011, 06:18 AM
You can get oil analysis done to prove the oil is good. I have never heard of an engine failure where the owner was on a legitimate oil change cycle... whether it be 3k, 5k or even 7.5k. Use a quality synthetic oil, stick to a good schedule and don't stress about it IMO. If you do happen to have a major failure (unlikely) then grab a sample and have the oil tested. That will either prove to your warranty company that the oil wasn't at fault OR if it was, most oil companies have their own warranty and should cover you there.

Holaday07 4.7
05-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I was covered

Matt
05-25-2011, 07:08 AM
If you want to be safe, send them an email and get something in writing. My comments don't have any legal bearing on your warranty contract. I just know what I'd do.... and I'm also capable of making technical arguments to ensure I'm covered based on 5k intervals with synthetics. (In other words, I'd make it more of a nightmare for them to try denying my claim than its worth. But that how insurance companies make money.... they deny claims and see who bites)

Holaday07 4.7
05-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Gotcha, well I will check into that. Did you get my message about your front tow hooks?

Matt
05-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Yup. I replied this morning. No factory hooks here.

Holaday07 4.7
05-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Damn, I can't believe Trail Rated Jeeps come without them, I was shocked

Matt
05-25-2011, 08:38 AM
They're trail rated.... so we don't need no stinking tow hooks because we can do the trails! lol j/k. It's just another "option" to make $$ off of. Business is business.

cico7
05-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I bought 2 reese hooks and drilled an extra hole in front. I have used them several times without any problems.
You have to remove the front bumper. Not a big deal.

Sal-XK
05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Uh oh I sense an oil discussion brewing! Lol.

FWIW, I use a group 3 or group 4 synthetic (Amsoil) and change my oil & rotate tires every 5k. Its easy to keep track of (anyone can divide by 5) and I know its safe. :)

Pretty much my situation (Mobil1) I just choose 6k since the suggestions ranged all the way to 8k which I felt was to long.

You can get oil analysis done to prove the oil is good. I have never heard of an engine failure where the owner was on a legitimate oil change cycle... whether it be 3k, 5k or even 7.5k. Use a quality synthetic oil, stick to a good schedule and don't stress about it IMO. If you do happen to have a major failure (unlikely) then grab a sample and have the oil tested. That will either prove to your warranty company that the oil wasn't at fault OR if it was, most oil companies have their own warranty and should cover you there.

exactly

Holaday07 4.7
05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys, being a punk 23 year old and every other 4x4 I have owned I have bought cash then trashed the sh*t out of it and sold it for nothing. Since I owe on this one still I am trying to be a responsible owner and keep this one around. Ill switch to synthetic next time, and see how it goes.

Sal-XK
05-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Just treat the jeep right and it will treat you right. Upgrade to synthetic fluids in your diffs as well when you do the service. Put quality parts and fluids in your jeep and you and your jeep will be happy. All my vehicles have had ridiculous miles on them and they were running great when I sold them.

Matt
05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Hey I just turned 27. Not all of us are old guys like Sal.

Sal-XK
05-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Hey I just turned 27. Not all of us are old guys like Sal.

you're with in slapping distance you know ;)

Matt
05-26-2011, 07:23 AM
LMAO I was waiting for that. :)

Holaday07 4.7
05-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Hahah awesome ^^^

NeilSmith
05-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Dont worry Sal, I gotcha by a couple of years. By the way, cd is in the mail.

Sal-XK
05-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Cool I'm waiting for that to do the main video.

Tymac
05-26-2011, 07:52 PM
I tried to get mine to fit & also had the tire shop try with no air in the tire & we could not get it to fit.

You have to leave the valve stem out to get full compression. Once its in place just screw it back in and replace the cover.

SKIUTAHJEEP
05-28-2011, 06:23 PM
New Spare tire has arrived. Here is a photo of the old spare. 691

And the new tire. As you can see it is cutting it close but fits like a glove.

Sal-XK
05-28-2011, 07:09 PM
cool glad it fit for you

fosh69
08-25-2011, 09:23 PM
I started to do a write up on how to fit a 265/70 17 on factory rim in the factory location with tow package... but I didn't want to go through the hassle of uploading all my images to a third party site and then load them again here. If there's a way to upload directly, let me know and I'll finish the write up. I run the LT, which is just a little taller than the P version Nitto Terra Grapplers and I managed to fit it up there... can't be afraid to cut a little, tho... and some very minor welding (optional).

pjmjr508
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
would love to see the write up you have.
You can upload directly from your HD & not needing to go thru a 3rd party like photo bucket. Here are the steps;
with in the reply Click the Image button (3rd from the right)
Then click the from computer tab
Then click select files
then select the picture to up load
click upload files

Hope this helps

fosh69
08-26-2011, 09:22 AM
I'll give it ago... thanks!

NeilSmith
08-26-2011, 09:38 AM
there was someone on "another forum" that got a larger spare in while inflated by grinding off the excess threads of the hitch bolts. Does anyone remember that thread or know who that was ? Id probably try that if I ever buy another spare tire. Also, there are rumors that running a stock size spare with 3 oversized tires will cause problems. we had this discussion while up in the woods changing a flat with Caleb. He drove around a bit with stock spare and had no issues, I believe. He ended up buying another tire but it still was not the same size as all the rest. Does anyone have any documentation about possible issues while doing this ?

Sal-XK
08-26-2011, 11:31 AM
I think he said he had a few issues along the way

Holaday07 4.7
08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
How much Ground Clearance was lost? It looks like it hangs a bit lower, and my stock spare already takes a fair amount of hits

Omelet
08-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I was able to fit a stock Rubicon tire and wheel (255/75/17 MT) under mine after a little moddification to the hitch.

Stock - notice the four bolts that stick out along with the back of the receiver.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/c7d23a7b-1.jpg

Some guys just trim all this down. I decided to chop off the nuts that are welded on and grind the receiver down flush with the welds. Then use carriage bolts and stuck them through from the inside out so the nuts are on the outside. This provided a nice smooth flat surface on the inside that took up minimal room.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/f839f0e4-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/50caa7ea-1.jpg

The great thing is that the rear 4xGuard still fits perfectly with the tire in place!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/12ce5b96-1.jpg

And there isn't gobs of room between the tire and the track bar, but it fits.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/9e63fee0-1.jpg

NeilSmith
08-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Im not so sure about changing out the bolts ( strength ). Would it fit if you just ground off the excess bolts and the excess part of the hitch where the receiver goes through ? This is what i would try .

Omelet
08-26-2011, 01:19 PM
I thought about welding the hitch in place, but this way I can still easily remove it later if need be. The nuts that are welded to the back of the hitch are about 1" by themselves. Cuting the bolts to the nuts will give you about an extra inch, but removing the bolts and nuts will give you 2". I don't tow anything so for me the hitch is only for recovery. It just depends on how much room you need. I was trying to squeeze a tall skinny tire in there, so I needed as much room as I could get. If you don't have a hitch then it is easy!

NeilSmith
08-26-2011, 01:21 PM
yeah, i use my hitch so... your tire is a little bigger, width and height, than mine.

Omelet
08-26-2011, 01:27 PM
You could probably get away with just trimming the bolts down to the nuts and trimming the receiver!

AJeepZJ
08-26-2011, 01:51 PM
I thought about welding the hitch in place, but this way I can still easily remove it later if need be. The nuts that are welded to the back of the hitch are about 1" by themselves. Cuting the bolts to the nuts will give you about an extra inch, but removing the bolts and nuts will give you 2". I don't tow anything so for me the hitch is only for recovery. It just depends on how much room you need. I was trying to squeeze a tall skinny tire in there, so I needed as much room as I could get. If you don't have a hitch then it is easy!

Heyy!!! It ain't that skinny.

Omelet
08-26-2011, 01:57 PM
I know! It's just that most guys go for the 265/70/17 which is a little shorter, but fatter. So the 255 is really on the skinnier side.

It's OK AJ! I ran them once too!!!

Holaday07 4.7
08-26-2011, 02:11 PM
That is awesome! I have a spare 255 75 BFG mud, I didnt know that I could make it fit

AJeepZJ
08-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Thats like putting Kirstie Alley and Rossie O'donnell next to each other and saying Rossie is skinny. WRONG, she's just less fat!

I'm so sorry, I was terribly off topic. You may commence back to your previous discussions. I won't barge in again, lol.

Matt
08-26-2011, 04:19 PM
You can probably order those bolts in grade 8 and be set...

fosh69
08-27-2011, 08:29 PM
the write up for the mod I did is now posted... thanks to Sal.