PDA

View Full Version : Near Hydrolock

Brandon1024
05-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Today while going in a little offroad spot by me I nearly Hydrolocked my engine. I have an aftermarket intake and the fender are cut on the inside an the bumper is off. Didnt think about it all when i hit a huge thing of water... Ended up having the check engine come on and then shooting out smoke and stalling. Well anyways turned it off and back on and let it run for a little and then it was fine but now I know never to do that again or at least get a snorkel.

pjmjr508
05-24-2011, 04:41 PM
I hate it when that happens, I ended having my motor replaced on 1/12 of this year because water in an aftermarket intake. still trying to find a way to get the AEM bypass to work on my K&N CAI setup to see if theat will help prevent a hydrolock again

Matt
05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I hydrolocked my explorer 3 times before i wised up and built a snorkel. All 3 times i was able to get it running again (after taking the plugs out and cranking it to get all of the water out). But it took its toll.... a connecting rod ended up breaking loose one day, probably over stressed from the hydrolocks, and busted 3 holes through the engine.

Sal-XK
05-24-2011, 06:08 PM
The stock intake is worse so that wouldn't of helped you at all. That's exactly why I stay out of mud and water with the XK these V8's suck hard and pull water in.

strokeZ
05-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Schnorkel.....if you gonna swim.

Brandon1024
05-24-2011, 08:05 PM
the stock one definitely would have helped because it was just from the splash not the actual depth and the box the stock on is it would have kept the water out better as this one is practically open to the wheel well. Snorkel yea I know im going to try to fab one up myself without having to cut or spend 500... If I would have hydrolocked it I would have tried to just find a diesel to put in it.

Sal-XK
05-25-2011, 02:45 PM
That makes sense but the stock one on mine sucked up plenty of splashes one of the reasons I took mine out. I went threw 3 air filters because I kept finding mud on them for going threw rather small puddles. I even sucked up rain once with the stock intake yes it was a ridiculous rain storm but still I sucked up rain LOL. Home made snorkels are easy enough made depending on what you want or what else you have installed under your hood. Just don't go to lowes and grab PVC of the shelf and make one.

Brandon1024
05-25-2011, 08:32 PM
That makes sense but the stock one on mine sucked up plenty of splashes one of the reasons I took mine out. I went threw 3 air filters because I kept finding mud on them for going threw rather small puddles. I even sucked up rain once with the stock intake yes it was a ridiculous rain storm but still I sucked up rain LOL. Home made snorkels are easy enough made depending on what you want or what else you have installed under your hood. Just don't go to lowes and grab PVC of the shelf and make one.
Well today was my last day of High School officially done now so tomorrow I will be making a homemade snorkle i'll post picture if it comes out picture worth. Im going to be doing it without any cutting through more than just a fender.

LWM
05-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Well today was my last day of High School officially done .

Congratulations!

Ross
05-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Congratulations on graduating Brandon. I still have one more year to go.

Brandon1024
05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
So I went to look around at the hardware store to see what I could come up with for a homemade snorkel and couldnt come up with anything. having the fenders but with the turn signal I was considering having it come out under the signal to avoid cutting and then run it along the top of the fender and up. However I'm not quite sure what to make it out of. I want to avoid pvc because it would be hard to get all the angles right. I was hoping to use a flexable piping like the stuff they use to connect the stock intake but much longer and run that all the way up but i'm not sure where to go about getting that.

Sal-XK
05-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Hey bro the reason you should stay away from PVC is it's heat rating is way low for this application. The pipe and glue can't handle the heat under the hood. You can switch over to PVC once you leave the engine compartment.

LWM
05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Check out some of the connectors by Spectre at www.spectreperformance.com

Holaday07 4.7
06-03-2011, 01:34 PM
You could run the intake through the firewall, and the filter would be right under the dash. Just a thought, and you would not see any of the cutting to the panels. Thats what a lot of the mud trucks my buddies run do.

Sal-XK
06-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I've heard that idea mentioned before but listen to the CAI sucking air in the engine compartment and imagine how loud that would be inside our quite cab's. The sound I think would be unbearable especially under throttle. IMO

hoaxci5
06-03-2011, 06:46 PM
OMG inside the Jeep would be aweful. I had a true cold air intake on my explorer, which was inside the fender so it drew actual outside engine compartment air and I couldn't stand it, I put it back inside the engine compartment. Way to loud. I can't imagine inside.

StateRoad42
06-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I have an idea for a snorkel but not the time/capability to fabricate it. I wanted to do something similar to the military hummers with a top of the hood mounted bubble... kind of like a shaker hood but off to the side. Has anyone heard of, or set up something along these lines? There has to be aftermarket companies that could give you the basic parts to fab it up.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=64018

StateRoad42
06-08-2011, 09:01 AM
More snorkel pieces and info:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/hummer-snorkel-complete-279468/index6.html

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/air/index.html

Looks like you could come up with something pretty sweet from those basics. Getting it mounted and piped to the intake might be a pain in the arse but it'd be cool. I like the idea of using basic styrofoam to mock up the piping and then fiber glassing the heck out of it. Might be time consuming but shouldn't be too incredibly expensive. You always have the option of looking to a turbo kit for piping and elbows...

Hell, I haven't even pulled the Cover of my engine though so maybe this is completely unrealistic?

Sal-XK
06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I've looked into this and making one is not a big deal except people don't want to cut into there commander. For now I just made a CAI to get a little more protection from the water. I'll be putting something together at some point.

LWM
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
I had the CAI and then replaced it with a snorkle which required me to reinstal all the interior air breather componants, now I am considering removing the interior equipment and using a CAI pipe to my modified airbox and then to the snorkel for both more air AND water protection.