PDA

View Full Version : Overland Trail Rated?

carb850
05-28-2011, 09:04 PM
We just recently become proud owners of an '08 XK Overland edition. The Overland comes standard with the Hemi and the Quadra-Drive 2. I'm curious though, it doesn't have the trail rated badges. Is there any option other than the QD2 that is required for the Commander be Trail Rated?

hoaxci5
05-28-2011, 09:18 PM
I can't say for sure, but I don't see any reason why a QD2 wouldn't be trail rated. I wonder if the overland is a replacement for trail rated?

carb850
05-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I have seen some Overland's with the TR badge, others without. I dunno why.

Matt
05-28-2011, 09:22 PM
The previous owner may have taken the badges off.

LWM
05-28-2011, 09:36 PM
There were also a few that came from the factory without the badge (available on eBay).

carb850
05-28-2011, 09:47 PM
I have seen the badges for sale and considered buying one, I just wanted to make sure their wasn't some reason why our Commander shouldn't have them. Considering we have the QD2 with skid plates and tow hooks, I couldn't imagine why it wasn't Trail Rated but I wanted to verify first. In my research, I found some 'off road' option group but I believe that comes standard with the Overland package. So nothing I couldn't find any reason why it shouldn't be Trail Rated.

Thanks for the replies.

Matt
05-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Well lets put it this way... mines trail rated and it didnt come with skid plates or any tow hooks.

carb850
05-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Matt, Your XK had the QD2 (lockers) but didn't have skid plates or tow hooks? I thought all QD2 systems had those.

Matt
05-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Nope, they're additional options but are common with vehicles with QDII. The previous owner of mine is a "leaser" (known very well at the dealership) and probably left them off because they're unnecessary for a true "grocery getter".

carb850
05-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Do you think the tow hooks and skid plates are the part of the 'off road group' that I mentioned earlier? If so, I believe that is included when you get the Overland package.

PS, Matt I like the XK in your signature. I look forward to lifting this one and getting off the beaten path. :)

Matt
05-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Not 100% sure about the packages and whats included. It would be odd for those things to be included in an "offroad" package and not get the trail rated badge though. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it... there's no real reason why yours isn't "trail rated". Sounds like a badging loophole to me.

And thanks man. Hang around here and you'll have that little lift in no time :)

LWM
05-28-2011, 10:36 PM
US 4x4 models:
XK Commanders that have the "Trail Rated" badge have a 4WD system(Jeep standards) and XK Commanders w/out the "Trail Rated" badge have an AWD system(Jeep standards).

The only "Trail Rated" 4WD "system" Jeep uses on the XK Commander is the NV245 two-speed electronically shifted transfer case which has 4x4 low (lock), neutral and full-time active 4x4 with an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52.

Jeep uses two different trade marked Four Wheel-Drive SYSTEMs that utilize this NV245 transfer case, Quadra-TracII and Quadra-DriveII. But, both are actually the same NV245 system with the difference being that the Quadra-DriveII adds ELSD which is Electronic Limited Slip Differentials.

The non-"Trail Rated" system uses a single-speed full-time NV140 transfer case which has an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52. This is closer to many car based SUV AWD systems.

IIRC, all Hemi 4x4 XKs use the "Trail Rated" NV245 system (Quadra-DriveII). 4.7L XKs use the "Trail Rated" NV245 system (Quadra-TracII) as part of the Off-Road Package. Also, I believe there is a package combination you can get the "Trail Rated" NV245 system (Quadra-TracII) w/ the 3.7L but am unsure.

In a nutshell, a real two speed transfer case w/ low lock and neutral is needed by Jeep standards to tackle the "Trail Rated" requirements. The single speed full-time torque transfer system is AWD and therefore are not "Trail Rated".

Matt
05-29-2011, 05:35 AM
There are 5.7L XK's with QTII as well.

Sal-XK
05-29-2011, 06:13 AM
The off road group package was not standard on any package diffidently not in 2008 and up. Overland is a trim package LT or SE in other brands and has nothing to do with its off road capabilities or the off road options. I'm not saying you don't have the off road group package it's just not standard. Many of new XK owners have mistaken there plastic debris covers as steel skid plates. The only true way to tell is crawl under there and take a look bro. There was no plastic shield covering your transfer case so if there is one there it's probably steel but don't assume make sure. Also I'm assuming there is Quadra Drive II badge underneath your TC handle? But your missing your Trail rated badge. Again I would confirm visually you have the QD2 system and not the QT2 system I don't trust badges. Here is a thread to help you out and confirm what you have so you know for sure.

How to tell what drive system I have (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/636-How-to-tell-what-4-wheel-drive-system-you-have.)

Stock Skids

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/04/skidplates-1.jpg

With 4xguard skids and armor
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/04/skidplates20with204xguard-1.jpg

carb850
05-29-2011, 08:57 PM
I have the window sticker and it says QDII. From the best I can tell all Overland editions include the HEMI and QDII. As mentioned above, not all HEMI's have QDII though. Actually most HEMI's I saw has the QTII. I also found this website were I put in the VIN before I ever went to look at the car, it came back that it has the QDII. Oh, it does have the QDII badging on the center console.

I haven't crawled underneath but I will to check them out. On the graphics above, I know it does have the rear rock slides for certain, those are easily visible.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sal-XK
05-29-2011, 09:06 PM
The rock sliders are after market parts your seeing the frame rails back there. There pretty solid I've landed on them a few times. Overlands did come with QT2 though thats why encourage people to look. Since you have the window sticker and looked your vin up sounds like you're in good shape bro. If the window sticker says off road group then you probably have the steal skids and two front tow hooks as well. The first pick I put up is stock the stuff you should have the second one a drew all over is all after market skids you can purchase. Probably not worth it if your only doing maybe light wheeling except maybe the belly guard, for the price to cover your cats its worth it I think. Open a garage post some pics sounds like you have a nice XK we would love to see it.

carb850
05-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Actually, this one has zero options. However, with because it was an Overland just about everything came as standard equipment. Looking at the list of standard equipment I see Quadra-Drive II, Electronic Limited Slips Front/Rear Difs, and Skid Plate Group. It doesn't say 'off road group' anywhere but it does show what I just mentioned and I know it has the front tow hooks also. FYI, an '08 Overland with destination charges and no options stickered for $43,680. The only thing I know that we don't have on this is the Rear DVD.

I follow you know on the graphics. I thought rear portion of the frame was designed to take some hits from rocks. It looks pretty beafy.

Sal-XK
05-29-2011, 09:27 PM
You diffidently got a pretty sweet XK there bro. The QD2 system is just sick off road and with a small 2" lift and some tires its almost unstoppable. :) You got the most important options in already the DVD system can be added not a big deal but trying to add QD2 is large expensive undertaking. They might of changed the wording on the options I know on some it was worded off road group but its pretty cool you found one with that option believe it or not that option is rare to find. I think most of us on here had to purchase and install that option afterwards. That rear portion is beefy I've slammed down a few times and barely a scratch on them. And WOW on that price man just sick. I have the sport myself I liked the interrior look better I have a bunch of options I just didn't like the leather or the wood grain look. Where you from anyway?

carb850
05-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Actually, this is my wifes daily driver, we replaced her Honda CRV with it. I wasn't much on the wood grain and leather myself from photos, but in person I really liked it a lot. Anyhow, I won't be doing much at all with it for the near future. This one has just a hair of 30K miles so we will be babying it for the foreseeable future. However in a few years once my car is paid off we will get my wife something else and the Commander will become mine. At that time, I hope to start playing with it a little and doing some light offroading. A 2" lift and tires are on the dream list, but I'm holding off on those. I'm just glad I now have the right platform to build on once the time comes.

I updated my profile to show my location of WV.

Sal-XK
05-29-2011, 09:47 PM
we held a couple of camp commanders in Harrisonburg WV I think thats the closets town. You should consider coming out when we go back to GWNF stock with skids will have no issues up there it was mostly just rough forest roads but it was a good time. I know some guys are planing a day trip up there in August I think it was. Don and I are planning camping trip up there not sure when though something to keep in mind if your into that sort of stuff.

carb850
05-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Definitely keep me posted. Any excursion would have to be pretty tame as long as it is my wifes DD. I cannot blame here though, my Subaru is my play car. I cannot corner both rides as my person play vehicles. That is why I want to pay mine off ASAP so once we get something else the Commander will become my second play car. :)

Sal-XK
05-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I hear ya just don't take your doors off the commander the wives don't like that LMAO

lekmedm
06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Definitely keep me posted. Any excursion would have to be pretty tame as long as it is my wifes DD. I cannot blame here though, my Subaru is my play car. I cannot corner both rides as my person play vehicles. That is why I want to pay mine off ASAP so once we get something else the Commander will become my second play car. :)

Greetings!

I am a fellow Jeep/Subaru owner. My [wife's] Subie is an Outback XT - not as quick as an STi, but still lots of fun.

I also have an Overland (MY2007) and can tell you that you are most certainly Trail Rated, even if the badge isn't there. Don't sweat the small stuff. Get out there and have some fun!

:)

pjmjr508
06-27-2011, 01:00 PM
I as well have a 2007 Overland and as was stated before everything is standard thats why nothing listed as a option and YES THEY ARE TRAIL RATED!!!!!!! Trust me on that. I have put mine thru a lot and then some. You have a great platform and once you get it off road you will be happy. I am all the time. The only thing I am missing is the DVD player, other than that it has every thing there is offered already installed & love it.

here is some videos of me playing in mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-oL28GS2dg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHV-zlK_wcg
Spectator View
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umytLd86v8
Drivers View

the first link was from a year before

Holaday07 4.7
06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
I as well have a 2007 Overland and as was stated before everything is standard thats why nothing listed as a option and YES THEY ARE TRAIL RATED!!!!!!! Trust me on that. I have put mine thru a lot and then some. You have a great platform and once you get it off road you will be happy. I am all the time. The only thing I am missing is the DVD player, other than that it has every thing there is offered already installed & love it.

Spectator View
Drivers View

Awesome, I would probably hesitate before dropping into that notch. Great videos!

pjmjr508
06-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks. One thing I did learn don't do those trails with 7 people in the jeep like I did lol. Gpoing down the trail was fine, but when I turned around & went back up I broke the halfshaft in half. It was one hell of a ride tho lol

Holaday07 4.7
07-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Yeah 7 people you were just a tad bit weighed down. I was worried last weekend because we didnt have time to unload the Jeep before Saturdays Trail run. It handles soo much better when its lighter.

carb850
07-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Greetings!

I am a fellow Jeep/Subaru owner. My [wife's] Subie is an Outback XT - not as quick as an STi, but still lots of fun.

I also have an Overland (MY2007) and can tell you that you are most certainly Trail Rated, even if the badge isn't there. Don't sweat the small stuff. Get out there and have some fun!

:)

Cool, another Suby and Commander owner. I'm a big fan of the Outback's, I nearly got a 2010 3.6 Outback over my STI. Both are nice though.

carb850
07-31-2011, 07:58 PM

Spectator View
Drivers View

Nice video's, thanks for posting! My hat's off to you, not sure I would have the confidence to go down that trail.

When you broke your halfshaft, did you go back stock or are there any upgrades available?

Matt
07-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Cool, another Suby and Commander owner. I'm a big fan of the Outback's, I nearly got a 2010 3.6 Outback over my STI. Both are nice though.

I actually traded in our 2009 Legacy Special Edition (5spd) for the XK. Loved the car, but it's basically useless with an infant car seat (renders the passenger seat 100% useless, literally. A small person couldn't fit uncomfortably). So we traded it in for the XK before baby #2 came.

Will probably get another Suby once we're done with the rear facing car seat and have the XK paid off. Would be nice to have a nice fuel efficient "family" car again.

carb850
07-31-2011, 08:55 PM
I know the Legacy grew significantly in 2010, but I'm shocked you had so much issues with your '09 for room. I used a rear facing seat in both my '04 WRX and later in my '10 STI (both are Impreza based). It was tight but it fit, keep in mind I'm 6' tall as well. I will say, the Commander does have more room though. :)

We are currently paying on both our cars. Once we pay off the STI, I hope to add a 3rd car but it will be something with substantially better fuel economy. Thinking TDI Passat or something. At that time, my wife will get the new car and I will have both the Commander and STI. Like to Autocross the STI and do a 2" lift and bigger tires for the Jeep for some light trail work.

Matt
08-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Yeah it must have been a combination of the way the Legacy seats were configured /shaped and the brand of removable rear facing car seat we had. When I say it wouldn't fit, I mean that literally. 6 foot tall or 5 foot tall doesn't matter, it wasn't "uncomfortable", the passenger seat in front of the car-seat was "unusable" except for storage.

I forgot they redesigned in '10. Will definitely have to check that out!

pjmjr508
08-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Nice video's, thanks for posting! My hat's off to you, not sure I would have the confidence to go down that trail.

When you broke your halfshaft, did you go back stock or are there any upgrades available?

I had replaced it with a Napa Refurb, comes with a full 3 year warranty. Looks pretty stout. Also the reviews of them were pretty cool. I thought of upgrading it, but decided not to because now I know what my fail point is & it is cheaper then a gear box, plus I feel the only reason I broke was because I was WAY TO HEAVY with 7 passangers in it at the time lol. Plus also I know now if needed I can change it out on the trail if I break one again. After you lift it & play off road you will build your confidence in your rig, it will surprise you & all around.

Sal-XK
08-02-2011, 04:45 AM
LMAO when they told you to pull your mirror in and you just pressed a button hahahaha that was priceless bro, I love it.

Holaday07 4.7
08-03-2011, 02:29 PM
LMAO when they told you to pull your mirror in and you just pressed a button hahahaha that was priceless bro, I love it.

I know I want to start over with an Overland because of that video.

pjmjr508
08-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Also they were expecting me to do the auto open of the rear tail gate thats why the camera went to the back. lol They give me so much cr*p for having a such new jeep out on the trail with them. I will say this ever since then they are always happy for me to come out & play, because they don't have to nurse maid me. They know I will wheel it the way it was ment to be wheeled.