PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Jeep Summit 2012 / MOAB UT / May 14 -17, 2012 (pre-event thread)

LWM
05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Okay, this is just to feel the air for interest...

There was some discussion in anther thread about MOAB and I thought we could consider WC Camp Commander 2012 in Moab if there was enough interest and we could agree on a time of year.

MOAB, UTAH

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg. High 42° 52° 62° 72° 82° 94° 98° 96° 87° 74° 58° 45°
Avg. Low 18° 25° 34° 42° 50° 57° 64° 62° 52° 40° 30° 21°
Mean 30° 38° 48° 57° 66° 75° 82° 80° 70° 58° 44° 34°
Avg. Precip. 0.6 in 0.4 in 0.9 in 1.0 in 0.7 in 0.5 in 0.9 in 0.9 in 0.8 in 1.1 in 0.7 in 0.7 in

Sal-XK
05-31-2011, 01:23 PM
It's the low temps that concern me more LOL

TrialByFire
05-31-2011, 09:58 PM
April and May are great times of the year to go as long as we avoid the Easter Jeep Safari. Early June might still be pleasant but we had a couple of "hot" days last week (the XKs electric radiator fan actually came on for awhile). September and October would be great times to go also though the days will be much shorter. A lot would depend on who has kids still in school.

ped4599
06-01-2011, 03:53 AM
I guess from what knappster posted about the temps....it looks pretty reasonable....or i guess easily survivable.
I was just going by what a few other were saying when we were standing around talking about it last year at WCCC.

I guess a more realistic question for those that have been there: Would rigs withwout a 4inch lift survive?...I have only seen trialbyfire, Kmax, Phunkey, and may be a couple others post photos of moab.... but i think they all had 4inch lifts or more, and 33-34 inch tire or so.
I am just guessing there would be damage expected to nearly every rig that went. it may be a small price to pay for an awesome gathering! lol

TrialByFire
06-01-2011, 07:34 AM
I guess a more realistic question for those that have been there: Would rigs withwout a 4inch lift survive?...I have only seen trialbyfire, Kmax, Phunkey, and may be a couple others post photos of moab.... but i think they all had 4inch lifts or more, and 33-34 inch tire or so.
I am just guessing there would be damage expected to nearly every rig that went. it may be a small price to pay for an awesome gathering! lol

There are lots of runs you could do with a 2" lift. When I had my 2" RR lift and 245/70s, we did Metal Masher and Seven Bar Rim w/o too much dragging. Hoaxci had no problems on Fins and Things.

pjmjr508
06-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm down for this

Holaday07 4.7
06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Me and the old lady would make a trip from Missouri for this.

ped4599
06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I guess this video means that there are different levels of trails there.
I couldnt believe this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI&feature=player_detailpage

TrialByFire
06-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I guess this video means that there are different levels of trails there.
I couldnt believe this!

Yes, that is a great video! He's on a fairly easy section of stock-friendly Fins and Things which appears pretty steep in the video due to the long lens.

Adondo
06-01-2011, 04:28 PM
There's a gazillion Crown Vic cop cars, so they must have something going for them. :)

It does seem out of place to see a family sedan out there, but from stories my mom & dad have talked about from their days in Trona CA, it was common to see a 1950's Bel Aire or even old Model T's miles and miles from anything. They'd ride a Harley in the Panamint Mountains. One time, they saw a brand new Buick with an old couple coming down a sand road, then going up a steep rocky hill. They stopped on the way by. They were full up with supplies and heading back to their mining camp in a shiny new (Then) 1960's Buick sedan.

You just never know...

WanderingTs
06-02-2011, 11:18 PM
I have done some wheeling in the Moab area, including a couple days last year on the way to 2010 WCCC. Awesome scenery. It definitely is a different feel than Colorado. I am only running a 2" lift and found with smart lines and going slow I could go anywhere I wanted to go.

I would love Moab. It's closer to home for me (1 day drive instead of 2), and I am always up for exploring someplace new!

Tymac
06-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Seeing the Crown Vic reminds of the Blues Brothers - It's got a cop engine, cop tires, cop suspension...

It adds a little extra planning for me to get there and as usual it won't be until next spring if I could say yes or no, but that goes for wherever it is.

LWM
08-01-2011, 12:22 PM
There was some discussion about this at WCCC 2011 and I want to see if there is in fact enough enterest to cmsider this for WCCC 2012.

I would suggest we go in May or September but one of the big consideration is for those who have school aged kids... would they attend?

What are your thoughts, I like the idea but only if there is enough interest.

We could always do a smaller event at Moab and then WCCC 2012 in Colorado as well.

Holaday07 4.7
08-01-2011, 12:47 PM
May is Easter Jeep and is like Panama City on Spring break out there. Fun for myself, but just something to consider as a whole for the group. It is a heck of a drive for myself, so I was hoping you all would do Colorado again, but Moab sure is nice.

strokeZ
08-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm down like an underwater clown.........

LWM
08-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Moab Easter Jeep Safari: March 31 - April 8, 2012

TrialByFire
08-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I think a Moab WCC would be great! Anytime after EJS (Mar 31 - Apr 8, 2012) though the end of May should be fine. Even very early June may not be too hot if we want to wait until school is out.

The runs are very comparable to Colorado trails except sandstone is a lot softer than granite!

LWM
08-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Maybe if there are people wanting to come who have school age children they could check and give us an earliest possible date for them.

pjmjr508
08-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Moab sounds great. We are cool for any time of the year, son is still to young for school.

NoMatter
08-02-2011, 09:48 AM
April or May would work great for me, pretty quiet around the shop during that period. As for school, my daughter deserves to miss a few days here and there. Besides I would consider Moab Educational!

brendon
08-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Our schools don't let out until usually after the first week of June. June 9th was the last day this year. I don't know if they have the schedule out for next year yet.

Sal-XK
08-03-2011, 11:54 AM
April or May would work great for me, pretty quiet around the shop during that period. As for school, my daughter deserves to miss a few days here and there. Besides I would consider Moab Educational!

I like the way you think...

LWM
08-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Okay, here's my next question... How many of you WK guys are going to join us at next years event?

Sal-XK
08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Okay, here's my next question... How many of you WK guys are going to join us at next years event?

I like the new name that's pretty cool.

LWM
08-10-2011, 04:14 PM
I like the new name that's pretty cool.

I wondered if anyone would catch that! :)

pjmjr508
08-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I like it as well.

LWM
09-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Question...

Do you want to go Monday thru Thursday as in the past or do we need a Friday - Sunday event for this?

I personally prefer the weekdays, but I am only one person.

NoMatter
09-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Being that there would be less congestion on the trails during the week works for me, long as it's not too close to the end of may. What dates are you hoping for?

LWM
09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
What dates are you hoping for?

Considering May 14 through 17 or May 21 through 24

NoMatter
09-07-2011, 05:32 PM
EDIT*The 14th-17th works for me. my wife has work she cannot avoid on the 21st and 22nd

LWM
09-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Okay, the dates are official, start putting them on your calander.

Holaday07 4.7
09-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Thank you sir! I am extremely excited for this!

LWM
09-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Thank you sir! I am extremely excited for this!

You are most welcome, I will announce the campground location within the next few days.

I am comparing six campgrounds for price and amenitites (if anyone has a special request let me know).

Sal-XK
09-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Sounds good hopefully this is the one I get to make :)

pjmjr508
09-21-2011, 10:08 AM

Would be great to have the east coast part of our group to attend as well, it would be a blast.

Holaday07 4.7
09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Would be great to have the east coast part of our group to attend as well, it would be a blast.

It would just hurt so much to break sooo far from home! My old man did Moab last year without me, they stayed at Arches @ Devils Garden, then moved to Dead Horse State Park for Canyon Lands. He said they were all basically the same, just pick whats close to where you want to wheel

ScorpionCrawler
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
It would just hurt so much to break sooo far from home! My old man did Moab last year without me, they stayed at Arches @ Devils Garden, then moved to Dead Horse State Park for Canyon Lands. He said they were all basically the same, just pick whats close to where you want to wheel

Yes it does....
We did Moab in 08 rented a house for a week. If you want to eliminate the worry of the break down. There are lots of places to rent Jeeps there.
I got a modified wrangler for a day and took that on the trails instead. THis made my wife much happier, not the same but the XK returned without damage.
What threw her over the edge was, entering a trail we passed a LR exiting the trail. The LR's windshield, and all the driver side glass was busted.

PS there's plenty of towing and 4 wheel drive shops in town......

Sal-XK
09-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Let me tell you guys it is no fun having to go home and tell the wife you dented your Jeep on the trail. I've had to experience this twice already LMAO it makes for a tense ride home like when you were a kid going home knowing you were busted and were going to get it when you got home LOL ya like that

pjmjr508
09-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Let me tell you guys it is no fun having to go home and tell the wife you dented your Jeep on the trail. I've had to experience this twice already LMAO it makes for a tense ride home like when you were a kid going home knowing you were busted and were going to get it when you got home LOL ya like that

I top you on this.
My wife & son WERE in the jeep when I blew the halfshaft & had be towed up the remaining of the trail I was climbing & then leave the XK in OR for a week until I was able to come back to get it. 300 miles each way. I heard about it all the way back home and still do when I say i am going to OR lol. Plus when I was changing the tire I ended up putting a dent in the rear pass door from the high lift jack. Here about I am wrecking my jeep all the time. Alwell It's a jeep & it is ment to be wheeled lol

Sal-XK
09-21-2011, 12:14 PM
hahahah I get the your destroying your jeep all the time to and I just say its a JEEP

pjmjr508
09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not trying to destroy it to be honest, but I am finding the limits of it and what needs to be up-graded to do what I want it to do.
The same as you mine will end up as an exploration rig/DD & then will build up a trail rig. For now this is my only Jeep & need to get out on the trails.

Sal-XK
09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
MOAB is on my dream list of places to visit or what do they call that a bucket list or something.

LWM
09-21-2011, 04:42 PM
If I considered the risk of damage I would never go off road. In Colorado I tore off a coolant hose, a ground strap, lost power to my radio and got a flat tire.... It comes with the territory.

Moab is a Jeep town and can fix anything you break so don't let the fear of damage keep you from having the best trip of your life!

Holaday07 4.7
09-21-2011, 04:49 PM
We will be pulling the Airstream (silver Slug) to Moab in May. My fiance may not be fully on board, but she has no choice on this one.

LWM
09-21-2011, 04:53 PM
We will be pulling the Airstream (silver Slug) to Moab in May. My fiance may not be fully on board, but she has no choice on this one.

Greet news! How long is the Airstream?

ScorpionCrawler
09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
This place is on the top of my list of adventures we have been on.
If you haven't gone... FIND A WAY!
What better than with a group of XK/WK owners.

Holaday07 4.7
09-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Greet news! How long is the Airstream?

12 ft, but with the weight distribution hitch, it should ride alright out there.

AJeepZJ
09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Is this different from national camp commander? And are we still holding 'Camp Commanders' or are they following a different name trend like the rest of the site?

LWM
09-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Is this different from national camp commander? And are we still holding 'Camp Commanders' or are they following a different name trend like the rest of the site?

There are currently no plans to proceed with a National Camp Commander due to poor interest and high cost.

This event will replace West Coast Camp Commander (unless someone on the "other" forum wants to continue doing all the work (I don't want to do two events and I do most of the planning and arrangements).

AJeepZJ
09-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I see... ok

Sal-XK
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
That title should say Ultimate Jeep Summit 2012 West Coast. I was under the assumption that Camp Commander was renamed Ultimate Jeep Summit so we were no longer brand specific. Did I misunderstand?

LWM
09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
That title should say Ultimate Jeep Summit 2012 West Coast. I was under the assumption that Camp Commander was renamed Ultimate Jeep Summit so we were no longer brand specific. Did I misunderstand?

Camp Commander is a jeepcommander.com event.

The Ultimate Jeep Summit will be sponsored by theultimatejeep.com and The Steel Armadillo and other corporate sponsors.

Sal-XK
09-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Camp Commander is a jeepcommander.com event.

The Ultimate Jeep Summit will be sponsored by theultimatejeep.com and The Steel Armadillo and other corporate sponsors.

So what are we calling our event on the east coast then. Last event we just as many WK's show up as XK's.

LWM
09-23-2011, 07:41 PM
So what are we calling our event on the east coast then. Last event we just as many WK's show up as XK's.

That would be totally up you you guys, We both started with camp commander because it was only commanders.

I would not be opposed to sponsor the East Coast event and let them use the name out there if they want too, but the name "Ultimate Jeep Summit" is associated with TheUltimateJeep.com

Sal-XK
09-23-2011, 08:26 PM
That would be totally up you you guys, We both started with camp commander because it was only commanders.

I would not be opposed to sponsor the East Coast event and let them use the name out there if they want too, but the name "Ultimate Jeep Summit" is associated with TheUltimateJeep.com

That sounds good I got some flack about stealing the camp commander from Jeep Commander and hosting all the threads here LOL so I'm fine with dropping that name and I sure don't want to promote the Jeep Commander site. So "Ultimate Jeep Summit East Coast" sounds good to me and they can have there name back :)

AJeepZJ
09-24-2011, 03:08 PM
That sounds good I got some flack about stealing the camp commander from Jeep Commander and hosting all the threads here LOL so I'm fine with dropping that name and I sure don't want to promote the Jeep Commander site. So "Ultimate Jeep Summit East Coast" sounds good to me and they can have there name back :)

I liked "Ultimate Jeep Summit" as an all encompassing title. I guess thats why I asked if National Camp Commander was the same as Ultimate Jeep Summit... But Ultimate Jeep Summit: West and Ultimate Jeep Summit: East sound pretty cool to me. Ultimate Jeep Summit East Coast sounds wordy... lol. Thats my opinion :)

TrialByFire
09-24-2011, 05:26 PM
My daughter graduates from Benedictine College in May but I think it will be earlier in the month so if there is any way possible, I will be in Moab on the 14th!

I plan on going back up to Moab at Thanksgiving so I'll scout some more trails.

LWM
09-24-2011, 08:10 PM
My daughter graduates from Benedictine College in May but I think it will be earlier in the month so if there is any way possible, I will be in Moab on the 14th!

I plan on going back up to Moab at Thanksgiving so I'll scout some more trails.

If I get a short list of campgrounds can you drive through a couple and make a recommendation?

TrialByFire
09-25-2011, 08:59 AM
I would be happy to scout campgrounds. I stayed at the KOA and it was well run but dusty and the spaces were very closely packed. The nicest areas appear to be along the river west of town (Kane Creek Road?) but I'm not sure there are hookups.

brendon
09-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Sounds like a good time, but I don't know if those dates will work for us. We have 2 kids who will still be in school. I'll have to see what we can work out.

LWM
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I have reviewed the campgrounds near Moab and have come up with a short list for your input. If you think you are attending take a look at these campgrounds and give me your preference:

Moab KOA http://koa.com/campgrounds/moab/

Canyonlands Campground http://canyonlandsrv.com/

Riverside Oasis http://www.riversideoasis.com/

Archview Resort http://www.archviewresort.com/

WanderingTs
10-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I have been through archview, but did not stay there. I also looked at their bbq meal and show promotion, which looked interesting, but never went. It is out of town and away from any town services others may want (such as other hotels, food) but only by about 10 minutes.

I have also driven through the KOA in search of a site, and concur with the above opinion that it was dustier than most other campgrounds. The place I ended up staying is not on the list, but I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

LWM
10-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Archview would be my preference from the list and I think Riverside would be my second choice.

TrialByFire
10-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I have reviewed the campgrounds near Moab and have come up with a short list for your input. If you think you are attending take a look at these campgrounds and give me your preference:

Ok, I'll check these out next month when I'm up there.

LWM
10-14-2011, 11:43 AM

You are the man, Thanks!

LWM
11-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Were you able to check out the sites?

pjmjr508
11-29-2011, 08:06 AM
I will have to go from going to a maybe for this, Found out not long ago that my wife is due in June & she is having a hard time with this pregnancy so depending on how she is doing I might not be able to go. I will know more once closer.

LWM
01-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Okay guys & gals, Are we going to do this? Who is joining me in Moab in May?

pjmjr508
01-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I want to go & my brother will be joining as well as long as my wife is doing ok. She has been sick alot more with this baby verses our first. Will know once closer. Also hoping to have my OME HD F&R along with bumpers F&R on by then.

hoaxci5
01-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I won't know anything until after March..

TrialByFire
01-04-2012, 05:24 PM
I will be there. I may be a day or so late because we may have to drive straight there from my daughter's graduation in Kansas.

LWM
01-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I will be there. I may be a day or so late because we may have to drive straight there from my daughter's graduation in Kansas.

Are you still able to scout a site or should we just pick one?

Adondo
01-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking I'll be there. We've stayed in Archview before, and it's an okay place.

I just hope the weather isn't like it was last year, or I'll be chaining up the bus for every mountain pass. :) Summer didn't seem to start until late JULY here.

NoMatter
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm still in. Looking forward to finding out where we all can stay so I can get a spot paid for.

TrialByFire
01-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Are you still able to scout a site or should we just pick one?

It's looking like you should just pick one. I was hoping to go up the weekend of Jan 14, but I'm still having T-case problems.

TrialByFire
01-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I asked for some recommendations on Moab campgrounds on the forum here in Albuquerque. The only response so far said do not stay at Spanish Trails RV Park!

TrialByFire
01-06-2012, 04:03 PM
An actual recommendation!

Moab Rim RV Campark they are on the top of the hill south of town. Not large and no big trees but very nice people and good views of the valley!

LWM
01-06-2012, 04:07 PM

Here are the four I was looking at based on on-line research.

hoaxci5
01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't know the prices of the other places, but when I crashed TrialByFires trip we stayed at the KOA which was nice, but for camping I felt it was overpriced. I might be cheap when it comes to camping though, since I try to avoid paying at all..

NoMatter
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Archview would be my preference from the list and I think Riverside would be my second choice.

Looking at reviews on Trip TripAdvisor I see that the Riverside Oasis has the most "flattering?" comments compared to the other. I like all the trees and shade, do wish they had a pool but that is not totally necessary. I'm planning on renting a cabin at whichever location is selected as my two year old son won't do too well couped up in our pop up. He's a bit of a monkey. I feel the KOA's rates are a bit high but... KOA's are usually very well kept.

Riverside Oasis
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60724-d1880605-Reviews-Riverside_Oasis_Campground_amp_RV_Park-Moab_Utah.html
Archview Resort
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60724-d253165-Reviews-Arch_View_Resort_RV_Camp_Park-Moab_Utah.html

Just sayin, I know these things can be biased. Maybe the guys who have personal experience could fill us in a bit more?

Adondo
01-10-2012, 01:51 PM
We've stayed in Canyonlands as well as Arch View before. (Moab is one of our favorite places on planet Earth) Canyonlands is at the south end of town, and it's a bit tight for a 40' coach. They do, however, have a pool! :) Arch View is maybe 10 miles north. It's almost directly across from the Deadhorse point highway though. (SR 13 I think)

I have the time blocked out on the company calendar, so it's official now. It'll work out good too, we'll have the whole weekend to drive the 850+ miles to Moab, then Jeepin' galore for most of the week, then home the next weekend.

I can thank Moab for getting the Jeep too. After 4-wheeling in my Ford F-350 diesel there, I decided that just doesn't work. A Kenworth would've been better, because at least a KW has an air ride seat! I rethought the entire truck/trailer idea and bought the motorcoach instead.

Edit:

Now it's really official! Canyonlands called back yesterday: We're nailed down for the 14th thru 18th. They called while we were Jeeping through snow on back roads by Helix Oregon on an MLK day trip. :)

LWM
01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I have sent e-mails to both Archview and Canyonlands as they are closed for the winter. I will let you know who responds first and what I am able to set up for us.

LWM
01-10-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm down for this

Me and the old lady would make a trip from Missouri for this.

I would love Moab. It's closer to home for me (1 day drive instead of 2), and I am always up for exploring someplace new!

I'm down like an underwater clown.........

I won't know anything until after March..

I'm still in. Looking forward to finding out where we all can stay so I can get a spot paid for.

I have the time blocked out on the company calendar, so it's official now.

The above list is not in stone but it appears we have some real interest.

LWM
01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Site selection is complete...

The Ultimate Jeep Summit 2012 will be held at Canyonlands Campground (http://canyonlandsrv.com/)!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/CanyonlandsSitemap-1.gif

I have reserved space #86 so try to get close if possible, they are filling up fast so call 1-800-522-6848 and leave a message for Diane. Make sure to tell them you are with "The Ultimate Jeep Summit".

I will be arriving Sunday the 13th and departing on Friday the 18th, trail rides will be planned for Monday thru Thursday.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/moab_map_LG-1.gif

Adondo
01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
I called and left a message as well as sent an email. (I did this too late, and they're a couple of time zones away) We'll probably come in on Monday, and leave Friday.

I'm glad it's Canyonlands, as it is a nice place with lots of shade trees.

LWM
01-13-2012, 08:07 PM
I called and left a message as well as sent an email. (I did this too late, and they're a couple of time zones away) We'll probably come in on Monday, and leave Friday.

I'm glad it's Canyonlands, as it is a nice place with lots of shade trees.

She did tell me that she was off now for the weekend so she will call you back Monday or Tuesday.

WanderingTs
01-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Life is very uncertain right now. Did you happen to ask them about a cancellation policy if we make a reservation and then can't swing it?

LWM
01-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Life is very uncertain right now. Did you happen to ask them about a cancellation policy if we make a reservation and then can't swing it?

The cancellation policy is as follows if I understood correctly:

There is a $10.00 fee to cancel your reservation regardless of when unless you do it within three days of your arrival date in which case you pay a higher fee but you might need to confirm with the campground as to how much that would be (it might be your whole reservation amount but I am not sure, it might only be your deposit which is one nights stay).

LWM
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I am going to start to put together the daily schedule so if there are trails you really want to include post them here (sorry Lions Back is closed).

TrialByFire
01-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Recommendations/suggestions for the easy trails (stock XK/WK):
White Rim and Shafer Switchbacks
Gemini Bridges and Bull Canyon
Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners

Moderate trails (2" lift & belly armor):
Seven Mile Rim
Metal Masher
Elephant Hill

Hard Trails (2" lift minimum with QDII):
Fins and Things
Poison Spider

LWM
01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Here is a Trail Map: http://www.rr4w.com/sites/rr4w.centralpointdev.com/files/Page_48_49_TrailMap_EJS_2012.pdf

Does anyone know how to copy and post the actual map here instead of the link?

hoaxci5
01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Link to large image file instead of pdf
http://jdryer.com/Page_48_49_TrailMap_EJS_2012_01.png

LWM
01-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Campground is filling up... Where are all the interested people?

TrialByFire
01-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Campground is filling up... Where are all the interested people?
I have a site booked.

LWM
01-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Reservations to date:

Knappster
Adondo
TrialByFire

hoaxci5
01-31-2012, 12:04 AM
Looking like I'm going to be in Spain at that time. I'm still holding out for a lot of details to get hashed out though between now and then..

Holaday07 4.7
01-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Jeep budget went to my wedding. Nothing I can do about it, really dissapointed that I will not be getting to go with everyone.

pjmjr508
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Reserved for spot 93 in a cabin for arriving on 5/13 leaving on 5/18

LWM
01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Reservations to date:

Knappster
Adondo
TrialByFire
pjmjr508

NoMatter
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Cabin #90 Arriving 5/13 leaving 5/17 after the days activities. Then it's off to spend a couple of days at Mesa Verde, Heck why not? :)

LWM
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Reservations to date:

Knappster
Adondo
TrialByFire
pjmjr508
NoMatter

WanderingTs
02-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Life is too flexible to lock it down :( Too many variables but still hoping.

LWM
02-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Bump!

HueyPilotVN
02-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I would like to be there but our grandaughter, Casandra is graduating the same time. I quess I will keep going every other year.

LWM
02-07-2012, 09:49 PM
I would like to be there but our grandaughter, Casandra is graduating the same time. I quess I will keep going every other year.

Janet & I wish Casandra the best, you will be where you are meant to be and it will make her day that much more special.

TrialByFire
02-08-2012, 09:03 PM
My daughter's graduation is May 12th so it looks like we'll be driving straight to Moab from Atchison, KS on Sunday the 13th.
I don't see Texas or California represented yet. Come on! Who can pass up Moab???
As much fun as Cassandra had last year, I'm surprised she doesn't want to skip her own graduation! ;o)

strokeZ
02-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Crazy time right now for me but I am going to try and make it. I just called the campground and NO cabins available for the entire week. I may have to stay offsite. :eek:

LWM
02-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Sorry about the cabin but glad there is a chance you can make it.

Reservations to date:

Knappster
Adondo
TrialByFire
pjmjr508
NoMatter
strokeZ

pjmjr508
02-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Crazy time right now for me but I am going to try and make it. I just called the campground and NO cabins available for the entire week. I may have to stay offsite. :eek:

Depending on how many coming with you, I have a cabin & you can share it. This way you don't have to go off site.

TrialByFire
02-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Crazy time right now for me but I am going to try and make it.
Whoo hoo!

Holaday07 4.7
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
I am so jealous!

TrialByFire
02-29-2012, 08:13 PM
I am so jealous!
Meet me in Topeka and we'll caravan!

strokeZ
02-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Depending on how many coming with you, I have a cabin & you can share it. This way you don't have to go off site.

Depends if my daughter (or daughters) decide to join me. If I go solo then I will gladly take you up on it!

pjmjr508
03-01-2012, 07:40 AM
K let me know.

Holaday07 4.7
03-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Meet me in Topeka and we'll caravan!

I cannot afford it with our wedding in October. Hopefully next year.

stites-xk
03-05-2012, 11:27 AM
i would love to go but i dont have the funds right getting married in august. It is taking all of my money. Next year i will be there

TrialByFire
03-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Since we have my daughter and a friend coming with us now, my wife wants to stay in a hotel instead of the campsite so I will be freeing up the site I have reserved at Canyonlands Campground. Does anyone want it before I call and cancel my reservation?

NoMatter
04-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Well guys bad news. I had an accident at work, took a tumble off a roof landed 15ft below...Shattered my left heel, fractured my right foot and fractured my right wrist BUT I'M ALIVE! This all happened about four weeks ago since then I've had surgery on my heel, eight screws several pins and a plate later everything is back together.(3 grand worth of hardware) I have been waiting to get final word on when I would be good to start using my foot again but I still have five or more weeks till I can start therapy, that coupled with all the Dr's fees I wont be coming out to Moab. I'm really getting sick of this, two years in a row something tragic has prevented me from joining in.

Before I cancel my reservation for the cabin I thought I would offer it up to someone here...I don't know if they would let a transfer happen but its worth a try??? I think I was scheduled from Sunday night through Wednesday night...

Sorry guys

Sal-XK
04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Sorry to hear about that man hope you have a full recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pjmjr508
04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear about that man hope you have a full recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

x2

LWM
04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear that, The Ultimate Jeep Summit 2013 will be back in Silverton Colorado I think so maybe that will work out for you.

TrialByFire
04-06-2012, 12:54 PM
That's a real bummer. I was looking forward to meeting you.
My prayers for a speedy recovery and hope to see you next year.

HueyPilotVN
04-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Our plans have changed. We are now planning to attend in Moab. I called and it looks like we will need two sites, probably 33 and 34. They do not have any long sites. We will be bringing the newly finished theatre and game arcade. Tokens are available at the door...LOL. We will also have open space in case someone in a tent needs to sleep out of the rain by using air mattresses in the Stacker trailer.

Home theatre and game arcade pictures.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/01810-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/01314-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/01219-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/00825-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/00340-1.jpg

LWM
04-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Fantastic News, looking forward to seeing you two again.

TrialByFire
04-07-2012, 08:13 AM
That's great news!

HueyPilotVN
04-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I talked with Annette at the campground, she is concerned about us even getting into the campground. She suggested unhooking and pulling the Stacker in with a Jeep. I tried that before and I think I slightly bent the carrier away from the rear door. I will probably have to stay at the Portal campground about 3 miles away. She said it is has a newer section for big rigs. She also said that her campground is downtown in congestion. Lee is calling now.

I think that there is a conspiricy going on here. They have a hot tub for the princess at the Portal campground...lol

Trial by Fire, Maybe we can convoy from Kansas, we will be coming thru there.

Doug, the owner called from the Portal and we have reservations for there. What sealed the deal for Lee is that they have a spring fed swimming pool for dogs....lol

Even better news, since we will only need one site instead of two it will cost about $250 for the 5 days instead of $500 for two sites

NoMatter
04-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments and concern. I plan on calling Tuesday afternoon to release my cabin reservation unless someone wants it speak up soon. As always without pics it didn't happen so here is a couple post op xrays
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/FootSide-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/FootBottom-1.jpg

Holaday07 4.7
04-09-2012, 02:28 PM
yeah I would get those blown up and framed for my wall if I were you. That is an epic break sir^^^^

redrockv8
04-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Holy crap Huey. I assume you pull your Commander inside that monster trailer. YOu must have a couple of engines in that RV. I'd be a nervous wreck driving that thing to Utah. I know I'd rip the top off pulling under the overhang at a gas station.

HueyPilotVN
04-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Nope, only one engine. It actually pulls fine. On a level road I can easily do 75. On a hill is a different story, but I do not mind. It is better to slow me down going up and down hills anyway. I was planning on going I-70 thru Kansas and Colorado but I now think I will go I-44 then I-40 to Gallup and then north to Moab. I want to avoid the high passes in Colorado. I hope that going north from Gallup is like going to Buena Vista, Co from Albuquerque. That route was up north thru north/south valleys instead of over mountains. If anybody knows how level the route from Gallup to Moab, I would like some feedback.

Funny story: We pulled into a campground this evening before dark. About 40 people gathered to see what would come out of the back of the "Slick Trailer". I tried to charge admission for the show, but they stayed around anyway. Two of the guys were members of the Jeep Commander Forum. I told them we were slowly making our way to Moab for the Camp Commander. One of the younger guys wanted to travel in the stacker to Moab, said " just let him have a case of MRE's and some water and he would hitch hike back after the camp.

BTW...We do not do gas stations because I can just see the same thing. I always try to get deisel fuel from truck stops using the same pumps as the 18 wheelers. I also have fuel fillers locations on both sides for faster fueling, but I always just use one of them.

LWM
04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Reservations to date:

Knappster
Adondo
TrialByFire
pjmjr508
strokeZ
HueyPilotVN

Anyone else?

07JeepXK
04-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Didn't StorkeZ trade in his XK?

LWM
04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
I have put off picking trails until now and it is time to put the planning in full gear and get this thing rolling.

We will plan rides for Monday thru Thursday but keep enough time free for personal trips and the awards dinner :)

So far I see what looks like two good trail rides and I would love to hear from those who have been or thought about going before.

Trails that look interesting so far are: Hurrah Pass combined with Chicken Corners & Gemini Bridge combined with Bull Canyon. Any comments or suggestions?

Hurrah Pass
San Juan County, Utah
View this on the Utah Trailheads Map

Nearby Towns: Moab
Nearby Trails: Kane Creek Canyon, Chicken Corners, Lockhart Basin, Jackson Hole
Season: Year Round
Trail Length: 5.4 miles
Elevation: 3,996 to 4,791 feet

This trail is very easy and extremely scenic. It is primarily a dirt road that goes over a fairly low pass.

It starts on Kane Creek Road and you follow signs to Hurrah Pass (stay on the main road). The views get more and more spectacular as you get closer to the pass and you can see further into the valley. Though it is windy the pass at the top would be a great place to stop for lunch.

At the top of the pass you can see the other valley. The decent to the bottom is steep but doable in any vehicle.

At the bottom, the trail levels out and you'll see a sign for the Base Camp Adventure Lodge. Turn right here to start the Jackson Hole trail or continue straight to the Chicken Corners trail.

Information last updated on June 6th, 2008.

Chicken Corners
San Juan County, Utah

Nearby Trails: Hurrah Pass, Lockhart Basin, Jackson Hole
Trail Length: 13.94 miles
Elevation: 3,946 to 4,488 feet

This is not a difficult trail but it has some amazing views and a short but intimidating hike on a ledge at the end that is optional. There are awesome views of the Colorado River and the end of this trail would be a great place to stop for lunch.

You must do Hurrah Pass or Lockhart Basin to get to Chicken Corners. It starts at the intersection of Hurrah Pass and Jackson Hole, and it is not very long (it takes two hours or so to run out, do the hike, and come back). It starts as an easy trail, much like Hurrah Pass. There are some bumpy parts as well as some sandy parts that are fun with some speed.

The only mildly challenging part is right before the end of the trail where you are forced to be fairly close to the edge of a cliff for a brief moment. It opens up again and you find yourself at a turnaround at the end of the driveable trail.

From here you can walk on foot along the true Chicken Corner. It is a very narrow foot path on a cliff and is not for people afraid of heights. Once you get around the cliff you are at a wide open spot. This hike is not very long.

Across the river from the end of the trail is Dead Horse Point Overlook. This is where they shot the final scene from the movie "Thelma And Louise" where they drove their convertible off the edge of a cliff.

Information last updated on June 6th, 2008.

Gemini Bridges
Grand County, Utah

Nearby Trails: Bull Canyon, Gold Bar Rim, Metal Masher, Little Canyon, Arths Pasture, Four Arches Canyon
Trail Length: 13 miles
Elevation: 4,566 to 5,963 feet

This is a fairly easy but very scenic drive between Highway 191 and Highway 313. It can be run in either direction, with plenty of room for passing other vehicles. In the middle there is a parking area where you can take a short walk to see the Gemini Bridges, two natural bridges that parallel each other. You can walk on the bridges but you can no longer drive near or on them. This trail takes you to the top of the bridges while the Bull Canyon trail takes you to the bottom of them.

If you start from Highway 191 there is a large parking area at the start. It can be a dusty drive at the start as you run parallel to the highway going south. Then the trail takes you up the side of the mesa and over to the other side. Be sure to watch for bicycles and oncoming traffic.

Once you are down in the valley the trail is bumpy in places but easy. Watch for Gooney Bird Rock, a tall rock with a bird's face. It's good luck to drive over his toes and you'll see black marks from all of the tires that have gone over it in the past.

The first major intersection you come to is an important one. To stay on Gemini Bridges turn right and go uphill on a hill of challenging rocks. If you turn left it is the start of the Gold Bar Rim trail and the way to Little Canyon and Rusty Nail.

Once you get to the top of the hill be sure to stay on the main road and do not turn left at the next intersection. This is the trailhead for Bull Canyon, a good trail to combine with Gemini Bridges. If you wish to run Bull Canyon you will come back out to this intersection when you are finished.

Soon after the Bull Canyon trailhead is the turn to go to the Metal Masher trail. Stay to the left on the main road to continue on Gemini Bridges.

Continuing on Gemini Bridges, be sure to take the brief spur that leaves to the left of the trail. This is the way to see the Gemini Bridges themselves. There is a lot of parking and informational signs. The walk is under half of a mile and fairly easy. You can walk right out and over the bridges.

The views from the higher points are worth the hike. There is a plaque near the bridges remembering Beau James Daley who died when he accidentally drove his 4x4 off of one of the side.

When you are finished taking pictures and exploring, head back out to the main road and continue west. The next intersection is for the Four Arches Canyon trail. Continue straight and a bit to the right to stay on Gemini Bridges.

Just after that intersection is another intersection for Arths Pasture. This is a fun way out if you want more of a challenge. It is also the way to the end of the Metal Masher trail.

Stay on the Gemini Bridges trail for an easy and scenic way out to Highway 313.

Information last updated on May 18th, 2011.

Bull Canyon
Grand County, Utah

Nearby Trails: Gemini Bridges, Gold Bar Rim, Metal Masher, Little Canyon, Arths Pasture, Four Arches Canyon
Trail Length: 6.4 miles
Elevation: 4,589 to 5,096 feet

Recommended by Sean H.

Note that you can no longer play on the sand hills as they have been permanently closed.

This is a fun and scenic trail with a great view of the Gemini Bridges from below. If you combine it with the Gemini Bridges trail you can see the natural bridges from both the top and the bottom.

The trail is fairly easy up to the parking area to walk to the base of the Gemini Bridges. There are a few bumpy areas and a few sections of smooth sand but nothing too challenging. The southwest end of the Little Canyon trail comes in from the east just a short way from the Bull Canyon trailhead.

There is one switchback on the way to the parking area. A short trail leaves from this switchback that takes you out to a nice overlook. Look just across the tight canyon for Bullday Bridge and Potty Bridge.

After the switchback look for Sunlight Arch and Rift Arch to the right of the trail as you work your way to the parking area. The parking area is well marked. It is a short walk following the old 4x4 trail to get to the base of the Gemini Bridges.

There is a trail near the parking area that is marked as a dead end. It continues into the canyon and has some nice scenery to offer. The trail is a bit more challenging on this end as well.

The end of the trail follows the canyon and comes to a "Y" in the trail. If you take the right side of the "Y" you will stay high in the canyon and it eventually comes to a wide turn around spot. You should turn around here unless you are on an ATV or dirtbike as the trail soon ends at a rock slide (you can see the end from the turn around spot). This would be a great place for a scenic and secluded lunch.

Return to the "Y" and take the other fork and you work your way down into the canyon and back up the other side to an unnamed mine. There is plenty of room for quite a few vehicles at the mine and it would also be a good spot for lunch. Look for Skyward Arch above the mine.

Note that some ATVs have made their own trail in order to continue along the canyon floor. This trail has been closed and you should not follow the illegal bypass around the trail closure.

Return the way you came.

Information last updated on May 18th, 2011.

TrialByFire
04-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Those trails should be fine for stock XKs. Bull Canyon has a few boulders in the streambed that may give skids a kiss or two.

From the list it looks like everyone has at least a 2-1/2" lift and QTII or better. That opens the list up to moderate trails like:

* Metal Masher (optional hard obstacles).
* Sevemmile Rim (scenic w/nice obstacles)
* Fins & Things (mega classic)

For the harder trails, you might include:

* Elephant Hill (this classic is an all-day outing since it's 40 miles south of Moab).
* Hells Revenge (steep but reasonable)
* Poison Spider Mesa (another classic)
* Kane's Creek (water crossings galore)

All these should be well within the capabilities of this group. Any body damage should be limited to the underside (skids/ fuel tank, etc.) and winching probably not necessary.
One thing to expect is that many of the trails have very steep (but smooth) sections. You will get used to looking out the windshield and seeing only sky! Fortunately, our XKs climb like goats!

pjmjr508
04-28-2012, 01:34 PM
not happy but I will have to cancel out. The due date for our daughter to be born is first week of June & the timing is not going to work. With our sons delivery my wife was good all the way to the day she gave birth, this time she is having some issues so I can not be 2 states away with the DD being so close. So I will be calling in to cancel my res for a cabin, before I do that if anyone wants it let me know & I will see if I can transfer the res to you.

Now with all that being said, next year the kids should be old enough to go to CO for next years event.

Sal-XK
04-28-2012, 01:59 PM
This sounds like so much fun! I've been searching for away to make this trip but my youngest doesn't get out of school till June :( which I would of pulled him early but my daughter has bench mark tests on the 17th of May and she can't miss that either.

LWM
04-28-2012, 02:05 PM
not happy but I will have to cancel out.

Sorry to hear, Looks like a really small group this year but we will still have fun. Hope to see you and the family in Silverton next year.

LWM
04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Didn't StorkeZ trade in his XK?

He did, I hope he is coming anyway... We are open to all model of Jeeps :)

stites-xk
04-28-2012, 06:04 PM
That's like 5 to 6 hrs from me. I plan on going next year

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rocky Mountain Canary
04-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Hey pjmjr508

I would be very interested in taking your cabin of your hands how much per night?
I would be coming by my self, kids will still be in school.

LWM
04-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Hey pjmjr508

I would be very interested in taking your cabin of your hands how much per night?

RMC, It will be great to see you again!

pjmjr508
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Hey pjmjr508

Got your PM & will reply back thru that.

XK N00b
04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
I have secured the week off and am looking into lodging reservations, I have a borrowed pop-up I can pull up if there aren't any available cabins.

LWM
04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
I have secured the week off and am looking into lodging reservations, I have a borrowed pop-up I can pull up if there aren't any available cabins.

Cool, If you want to caravan up let me know. We will leave Sunday morning.

Are you coming by yourself or as a family?

XK N00b
04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Cool, If you want to caravan up let me know. We will leave Sunday morning.

Are you coming by yourself or as a family?

Not sure if we're heading up Sunday or Monday yet. I will let you know as soon as I do. It'll be me, Vickie and Jax (20 months old). The older two kids still have school

TrialByFire
05-02-2012, 09:17 AM
It's getting close. I'm excited!

Adondo
05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Mom has been going through chemotherapy for the last month. For a while, I thought we'd have to cancel the trip, but mom's feeling pretty good and wants to go. (The cancer was found long after the plans and reservations were made)

So... we'll take off on Saturday the 12th, and get there sometime Monday the 14th. It's almost 900 miles, so I didn't want to make a drive-all-night marathon out of it, so we'll have the weekend to drive it.

I've checked ahead, there's a cancer center in Moab at the county hospital, and they've been called. The cancer center here will have a packet of records ready for us to take, so just in case...

I've been holding off posting anything in case things went to heck and the trip was dead. Fortunately, things are going okay. If this trip was three weeks ago, it wouldn't have happened. They put her on stuff to bring up the red cell count, so she's doing a lot better than this crap first started.

pjmjr508
05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
so sorry to hear about your mother & hope she feels better

stites-xk
05-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Mom has been going through chemotherapy for the last month. For a while, I thought we'd have to cancel the trip, but mom's feeling pretty good and wants to go. (The cancer was found long after the plans and reservations were made)

So... we'll take off on Saturday the 12th, and get there sometime Monday the 14th. It's almost 900 miles, so I didn't want to make a drive-all-night marathon out of it, so we'll have the weekend to drive it.

I've checked ahead, there's a cancer center in Moab at the county hospital, and they've been called. The cancer center here will have a packet of records ready for us to take, so just in case...

I've been holding off posting anything in case things went to heck and the trip was dead. Fortunately, things are going okay. If this trip was three weeks ago, it wouldn't have happened. They put her on stuff to bring up the red cell count, so she's doing a lot better than this crap first started.

Sorry to hear about your mom. You'll be in my prayers

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LWM
05-04-2012, 09:12 AM

It will be nice to see you and your mom again, we are praying for a great trip for her.

Tymac
05-09-2012, 10:17 PM
We are definately out. I turned in my letter of resignation at work for May 25th. I'm moving to Peoria.....Not to worry Jon.....Illinois. So I will be preparing for that move plus the kids are still in school for us as well. I won't even make it to Colorado this summer. I parted out my YJ in 1 week, but refuse to let go of my XK. Now I just hope the CCW bill passes in Illinois.

Anyway, if you have an extradition in town ring me up. Have a safe trip and talk to you once I get settled in. Btw, I found the WCCC shirts from last year and they shipped 5/9/12. Just hope they still fit everyone.

LWM
05-09-2012, 11:02 PM
We are definately out. I turned in my letter of resignation at work for May 25th. I'm moving to Peoria.....Not to worry Jon.....Illinois. So I will be preparing for that move plus the kids are still in school for us as well. I won't even make it to Colorado this summer. I parted out my YJ in 1 week, but refuse to let go of my XK. Now I just hope the CCW bill passes in Illinois.

Anyway, if you have an extradition in town ring me up. Have a safe trip and talk to you once I get settled in. Btw, I found the WCCC shirts from last year and they shipped 5/9/12. Just hope they still fit everyone.

You will be missed my friend, hope to see you in Silverton in 2013 :)

Adondo
05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
It's been touch and go here the last week too. There's two chemo "cocktails" that alternate. Cisplatin is what we call "the bad stuff" where the nurse suits up and uses double gloves just to handle the IV bag. :eek: The other is Gemzar, which isn't too bad. She is in getting the Gemzar today, so she should be okay by Saturday. (That's when we start heading south) I can say for certain if she was in getting Cisplatin today, the trip would be cancelled. While we're in Moab, it's "skip week" for the chemo, and that worked out really nice.

All I can say is if someone in your family gets cancer, making plans for anything becomes real iffy at best. :(

Rocky Mountain Canary
05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Confrimed I will be there arriving Monday mid AM cabin #93

LWM
05-10-2012, 10:40 AM
It will be great to see so many old friends again, wish it could have been more but we will have a great time and the others will drool until next summer. :)

Adondo
05-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a kit full of new Canon dSLR stuff, so we'll have PLENTY of good photos to post. I also bought an ultrawide angle lens that's a step below a full fisheye. That thing can get serious amounts of subject matter in the frame! (It "sees" something like 167 degrees wide)

We should be coming in sometime Monday too.

LWM
05-10-2012, 11:26 AM
I have a kit full of new Canon dSLR stuff, so we'll have PLENTY of good photos to post. I also bought an ultrawide angle lens that's a step below a full fisheye. That thing can get serious amounts of subject matter in the frame! (It "sees" something like 167 degrees wide)

We should be coming in sometime Monday too.

I just purchased the Canon Rebel EOS T3i so maybe you can give me some pointers.

Adondo
05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Oh yeah, and we'll have twin cams. :) Mine's the T2i, but the only real difference is the swiveling LCD screen on the back of the T3i. We can trade around lenses too. I have four now, the ultra wide 10mm-24mm, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-250mm, and a huge Sigma 80mm-400mm f/4 that's pretty much a National Geographic magazine ad lens. :) That thing weighs 4 lbs. and is 18" long.

I'm thinking the UWA 10-24 lens will get a lot of use in the vast landscape there. That and get all our rigs in one shot when we stop, without having to walk back 100 yards.

I've been loving my new Canon. Check out this supermoon shot I got of the cable bridge.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/05/7154626004_703a4bef13_b-1.jpg

One more... a Jeep shot while we were on a mountain top getting wildflower shots.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/05/6961265558_ccd334a6df_b-1.jpg

LWM
05-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Very nice!

LWM
05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I forgot to post up a section on Door Prizes / Giveaways & Awards...

If you are attending and have a giveaway let me know and we can post it up for our attending members, I will post up later today or tomorrow when I finish the list from our forum vendors.

Sal-XK
05-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Oh man not sure why you moved there but hope all is well. Don't hold your breath on the ccw passing that really is at odds with the normal police state that is IL. That's one state I can say for sure I hope to never live in again :(

LWM
05-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Here are some of the prize packages:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/05/DSCI0167-1.jpg
Swag Bag from Discount Tire

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/05/DSCI0170-1.jpg
Cap from Superchips

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/05/DSCI0172-1.jpg
Tee Shirt from Superchips

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/05/DSCI0174-1.jpg
Cap from The Steel Armadillo

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/05/DSCI0177-1.jpg
Secure Console from The Steel Armadillo

LWM
05-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Knappster
Adondo
TrialByFire
RockyMountainCanary
XK N00b

Anyone missing from the list?

XK N00b
05-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Knappster
Adondo
TrialByFire
RockyMountainCanary
XK N00b

Anyone missing from the list?

Is Huey not attending?

LWM
05-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Is Huey not attending?

Something came up back east that required his attention. Maybe next year.

LWM
05-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Pulling out of the driveway right now, see you guys tonight or tomorrow.

TrialByFire
05-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Pulling out of the driveway right now, see you guys tonight or tomorrow.
It' 4:00pm and we're 100 miles from Denver. It looks like it will be Monday morning before we make it in.

LWM
05-13-2012, 08:54 PM
It' 4:00pm and we're 100 miles from Denver. It looks like it will be Monday morning before we make it in.

I think there are only two of us here tonight. We will find something fun to do but do the listed trail when the rest show up, maybe since you have been here you can lead? :)

TrialByFire
05-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I think there are only two of us here tonight. We will find something fun to do but do the listed trail when the rest show up, maybe since you have been here you can lead? :)
We're in Grand Junction. I hope to be in Moab about 10:00am. See you soon!

redrockv8
05-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Why does this end on the 13th? Where's the pics and stories? Did everyone forget their camera?

Sal-XK
05-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Why does this end on the 13th? Where's the pics and stories? Did everyone forget their camera?

It's in there picture thread :)

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/1871-The-Ultimate-Jeep-Summit-2012-Photo-Gallery

TrialByFire
05-23-2012, 06:47 AM
They're all here:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/1871-The-Ultimate-Jeep-Summit-2012-Photo-Gallery