PDA

View Full Version : ABS, ESP/BAS, Service 4WD - jeep stops on its own

CrunchyWizard
05-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi guys,

As I was driving around this evening, looking for a place that would take a screw out of one of my BFG MTs, my jeep started hesitating (as I pulled out of a Belle Tire after I didn't want to wait 90 minutes for them to remove the screw). It just balked as I turned right - sounded like ABS kicked in and the traction-control light came on and then went off as the car started responding normally. I was making a normal right turn, not stepping on the gas much at all.

A little while down the road all of the lights came on - traction ctl, ABS, ESP/BAS and the "Service 4WD System" came up in the display. As I contemplated this new situation, I was traveling at about 25 MPH around a slight right curve when the jeep's ABS sounded like it kicked in and brought the jeep to a fairly quick - and complete - stop. It wasn't like I was standing on the brakes, but it was close... Happily, no one was behind me. After a second or two, the brakes released and I was able to proceed down the road.

I pulled into the nearest parking lot and turned the car off, waited a few seconds and turned it back on - the lights stayed off for a couple minutes and then came back on.

I made it the few miles back home with no further incidents, although it did sound like the ABS was kicking in slightly on sharp turns - it didn't stop me again.

I figure I need to get it into the dealership in the morning, but am anxious to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience before the dealership tries to tell me that I need to replace the entire drive train. I recall reading about the lights and message before, but don't recall anyone saying that the jeep just stopped itself.

Help?

Edit to add: I tried retrieving the DTC codes and just got a 'Done,' which means it's not throwing a code, right? Why is everything lighting up without the system being able to say why?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

CrunchyWizard
05-31-2011, 06:01 PM
LOL - googling my problem and came up with this: Voodoo trick (http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?1942-ESP-BAS-warning-Light/page6&). It says that you turn the car on, turn the wheel all the way to the left, turn all the way to the right, turn car off, turn it on and drive. They said the lights go off when the car shifts into second - and about four people chimed in with 'it werks fer me' (paraphrased).

Well, I'm here to say 'it don't werk fer me'.

Worth a try though... I guess

Sal-XK
05-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Try turning the traction control off and see what happens. Hold the ESP button down till you here a chime. Then go for a ride see what happens. It might be a bad wheel sensor or something.

Matt
06-01-2011, 05:46 AM
The "service 4x4" code would really help. I agree that the symptoms sound like an ABS sensor failure. .... is the ABS light on as well?

Let us know what codes the dealer pulls and how they fix it.

CrunchyWizard
06-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Amazing...

As a last resort this morning, before leaving for work (had to go in because a big process ran last night and need to be there for the fallout this morning) I did the voodoo dance recommended by the JK forum in the link above. You start the jeep, turns the wheels all the way to the left, turn all the way to the right, turn it off, turn it back on and drive. The lights should go off when you hit second gear..

It...worked. All the lights went off and there's no more hesitation. I even went through a big puddle (Detroit roads are really...something) at speed and it's behaving itself nicely now.

I think I'll sacrifice a cow on the sacred grill when I get home to say thanks to the old German gods who made this possible.

I'll probably also check the wires on the wheels to make sure they're all tight, just to satiate the gods of technology. Gotta cover all the bases :)

Sal-XK
06-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Thats weird but hey if it works man thats awesome. Poor some beer over your XK and give it drink it deserves it LOL

Matt
06-01-2011, 07:47 AM
There is a sensor that compares steering wheel position in relation to differential wheel speeds (the tighter the turn the greater the difference in left/right wheel speeds). I wonder if the voodoo dance you did is really just a recal for that sensor...

LWM
06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
When I was at Camp Commander a couple of years ago I hit a big rock too hard and all the lights went off, I had to get a front end allignmnet to get the light to go off.

Tymac
06-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Hey A, for the last 3 winters I've replaced 2 passengerside rear wheel speed sensors and a driverside sensor. If you remember when we did a mini Commander camp at Jeepskool I had the same issue. Same lights, same symptoms and a day later they'd cure themselves when they dried out. Not saying that is your issue, but I want you to be aware that we share the very same symptoms.

CrunchyWizard
06-01-2011, 06:51 PM
[...] I want you to be aware that we share the very same symptoms.

Cico warned me that you may be contagious... I didn't listen.

LOL

It's been pretty wet here in Day Twah, but I'd pretty confident that all was dry when this started. On the other forum someone mentioned that it might be a result of my BFG MTs and the fact that the computer still thinks the tires are stock size (the starscan at the dealer's couldn't enter the size of the MTs, it only had the variations on the stock size, which all add up to the same diameter).

I'm thinking a programmer of my own (having a brain fart on the name of the tool at the moment - sucks getting old) is in my future.

Sal-XK
06-03-2011, 02:31 PM
I would say that the tires are not the issue and not just because I'm not having problems either. My understanding of the system is it detects wheel speed differences between wheels not the speed of the wheels. So tire size is no issue as long as all the tires are the same size.

cico7
06-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Mr. wizard how you holding up? I have a similar post on here where the lights were coming on and traction control got weird. I went to the dealer several times and they were stumped.. I was messing with a wire for my inverter and blew a fuse on a line that went from the battery to the inverter. I replaced the fuse and now it all works fine. No idea how or why. This wire was only to power the inverter. Now it works.

CrunchyWizard
06-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Hey Psych...errrr... Cico.. I'm doing well - how's stuff in the mid-south?

Maybe I'll install an inverter to duplicate your fix :)

Aside from a little flash of the traction control light when making a tight turn or two, the problem has not recurred. Maybe I'll take a good look at the fuses just for giggles.

I keep a live chicken in the way-back just in case I need to do the JK voodoo trick again. She's not too happy in the 100 degree weather we've had up here the last couple days, but what really makes a chicken happy anyway?