PDA

View Full Version : Pinch Weld

CmmdrDan
06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Well I am getting my new tires next weekend and I have a issue. I don't have the spacers yet. Buying them from a buddy next weekend. He lives about 150 miles away, and I am going to his place to wheel next weekend. My dad would flip if I started to saw-all my pinch weld in the driveway so I am also going to do that at my friends house. So what I am asking is if anyone has driven 265/70's without the pinch weld done? Thanks guys!

Also would it make contact with the bolt?

LWM
06-02-2011, 01:54 PM
You can do it, just do not make sharp turns (going straight is not a problem).

CmmdrDan
06-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Im more worried about the bolt now..I PMed Discount Tire and he is gonna see if he can find out.

Sal-XK
06-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I run that size with no issues except full lock you should be good.

Tymac
06-03-2011, 12:22 PM
The pinch weld and lack of spacers are 2 different issues. Stock wheels with larger tires will have a clearance issue with the upper ball joint stud. The pinch weld isn't nearly as important. Unless I read what he said wrong. Which has been known to happen.

CmmdrDan
06-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Well I am picking up spacers tonight from a friend. So I will have the clearance from the bolt but now the pinch weld will be my problem. So I will have to get that done before next weekend.

Tymac
06-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I thought you were getting the spacers from him after you put your tires on. Then it would be an issue. I run the 265's and have so little rubbing I never bothered to rework the pinch welds.

Sal-XK
06-03-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm running that size stock wheels no spacers. If the tire clears the knuckle no matter by how little it will work. The relationship between the tire and the knuckle bolt never changes no matter what. So if it clears by 1/100 of an inch in the air it will clear by that no matter what. I hope I'm making sense who knows haven't slept much so...

CmmdrDan
06-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Yea I understand that about the bolt. Hmm I guess Ill test it with the spacers on.. if not then ill pull them off. They are used BFG all terrains So they arent going to be 100% tread(maybe around 85%) so that will help also..

Sal-XK
06-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm running MT's and had no issues from new so I'm willing to bet those will fit with out spacers. Just remember that tires that will fit with no rub may rub once spacers are put on.

CmmdrDan
06-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Well I shouldn't have to worry now. I have the spacers on and the pinch weld done. Now I just need the tires. I dont think I'll have them before my trail run this weekend but thats ok.

israelintothewild
07-21-2011, 07:11 AM
I have the same tires, and I still do rub at full lock nomatter what... I guess it's because of the nose dive-in. I think if I level it with the rear height it would be fixed, but thinking about when I load the truck, it would look like carrying an elephant on the rear and the nose up...
BTW, I also had to hammer/trim the pinch weld because it made a small cut in one of the tread wedges.

I have trimed the front bumper as Sal did, and when driving on reverse at full lock still rubs somewhere, I will have to take a better look at that...

p.s. tried to upload pic but didn't work either on IE nor Chrome...

07JeepXK
07-21-2011, 07:26 AM
With my 265/70 MT/Rs, I would have had crazy rubbing every where without doing the pinch weld mod and wheel spacers. I would have never cleared the UCA bolt and id have to drive in a straight line even if it did clear it.

IamJEEP
07-21-2011, 08:43 AM
I have the same tires, and I still do rub at full lock nomatter what... I guess it's because of the nose dive-in. I think if I level it with the rear height it would be fixed, but thinking about when I load the truck, it would look like carrying an elephant on the rear and the nose up...
BTW, I also had to hammer/trim the pinch weld because it made a small cut in one of the tread wedges.

I have trimed the front bumper as Sal did, and when driving on reverse at full lock still rubs somewhere, I will have to take a better look at that...

p.s. tried to upload pic but didn't work either on IE nor Chrome...

In your signiture you state that you are running re-treads.....Maybe this is why you are rubbing so bad. I have 265/70 Nittos and only slightly rub in reverse (while turning) and do not have the pinch weld modded.

Sal-XK
07-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Check the FAQ section for help on posting picture I would link it but I'm on my phone.

IamJEEP
07-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Check the FAQ section for help on posting picture I would link it but I'm on my phone.

http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/622-How-to-post-a-Picture

israelintothewild
07-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks! I actually did post a pic somewhere else using the forum's tool when "replying advanced mode"...I uploaded the picture and then attached it...

I will give it another try using your suggestion once I'm back home...