PDA

View Full Version : WAS concidering selling my Jeep!

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 07:54 AM
If your waiting for the punch line or the I got you J/K there isn't one. I'm seriously considering selling my jeep. This will be along post so I can put where my thoughts are in perspective and get some real feed back from you guys. I have been struggling with this thought for over a month now. I've had countless pro and con discussions with the wife about it trying to figure out my best options. I've researched the crap out of this and right now I'm leaning towards selling. Last week I even put out a feeler ad to see what kind of bites I could get. In one day I got several replies then took my ad down because I was just feeling out the market. It started a month ago for reasons I will keep to myself then I drove my friends 2010 unlimited around for a little bit that didn't help any either I loved it. And to answer my question and some others who along with me jumped on dude who talked about the MPG on the wrangler being much better well he was correct which shocked the crap out of me. The one I drove had the 17' wheels and bigger tires and around town I got no problem 19MPG with the hard top and doors on my friend said all highway time he gets into the 20's MPG no problem. So now my brain started thinking and smoke started to come out of my ears what if. There's only really one part left for me to bolt onto my jeep and thats rock rails. My jeep is just about done except for odd and ends to do to it and if I did fulfill my mod\dream list I would never ever get any of my money back on this project. So hear is the thought right now low ball offers will pay my jeep off for me and fair blue book will give me 2k to put down on something new. Something new being a JKU of course I do need a jeep. The biggest pro's so far for me is a blank canvas, Factory warranty, insane resale value, better MPG, Cheaper parts (OEM and After market) Same payment I have now and of course the solid front axle. To be honest I never thought I would be off road as much as I am now when I bought my jeep. I've also said if I ever reach my limit with this jeep I would consider selling it. Con's are so far for me I love my jeep:D, Mods are about over for me :( You can only get so crazy with a commander before people question your sanity and taking my doors off pretty much made every one think I'm a crack head.:o I would still stay on this forum and live threw you guys so thats not a con for me. So this is were I sit prepared to slap the ad's up and sell my jeep. Before you all start on the wife this had nothing to do with here. One comment she did make one day was "you're trying to make it look like a wrangler so just go buy one" LOL I will say I am a get bored quickly kinda a guy though which could be something to do with my thought process. I'm about 90% sure I will sell my Jeep and go get a 2011 unlimited pretty bare bones for a blank canvas. I'm interested to hear feed back on my thoughts here. Am I missing a pro or con for or against doing this. I do value most the opinions of this forum and I waited so long to post this was I wanted to be sure this wasn't a spur of the moment thing that I would get over in a day or two. Oh I don't want a 2012 even with the new engine so telling me to wait for that I've already thought about it and have my reasons. I've researched the crap out the JK the last 4 days. Not sure if this decision is shocking to some or maybe you saw it coming LOL but I need help so lets hear the feedback. https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/peepwalla-1.gif

Oh I'm sure people will be curious about what I listed the Jeep for with my feeler ad I put it on for $18,000 as is including all the mods and parts I bolted on.

LWM
06-05-2011, 08:48 AM
This is a hard one to address... When it is all said and done the only one you need to make sure is happy is you (and of course the wife). The Commander got you out there, now do what ever it takes to keep you out there having fun. You are a valuable member to the forum and I really don't expect to see much change there but over time you will fall in love with another that is a better fit to that time in your life, but that is true for everyone. I enjoy watching you attack the Commander but I can enjoy watching you fix up the next one too. I say... Follow your heart!

hoaxci5
06-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Do you ever use the third row seats?
I've never driven or for that matter even ridden in a JKU but from what all the Wrangler owners say its loud inside.. (It's a Jeep thing follows that normally...) Is there any truth to that? I like my luxury car quietness on the highway.

Those are personal things that would have a strong effect on me, not sure if they matter at all to you.. I almost never roll down my windows..

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 09:08 AM
This is a hard one to address... When it is all said and done the only one you need to make sure is happy is you (and of course the wife). The Commander got you out there, now do what ever it takes to keep you out there having fun. You are a valuable member to the forum and I really don't expect to see much change there but over time you will fall in love with another that is a better fit to that time in your life, but that is true for everyone. I enjoy watching you attack the Commander but I can enjoy watching you fix up the next one too. I say... Follow your heart!

I have myself on time out at the moment. LMAO part of the time out was putting this posting this thread to slow me down. I'm a very impulsive person and thats not always good. :) The wife would like me to save gas of course and the factory warranty is very appealing as well. I appreciate your thoughts and I have meet some really cool dudes on here and I don't think what I drive or don't drive would matter, I hope not anyway:)

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Do you ever use the third row seats?
I've never driven or for that matter even ridden in a JKU but from what all the Wrangler owners say its loud inside.. (It's a Jeep thing follows that normally...) Is there any truth to that? I like my luxury car quietness on the highway.

Those are personal things that would have a strong effect on me, not sure if they matter at all to you.. I almost never roll down my windows..

I have used them on very rare occasions but pretty much they just stay folded down. The one I drove had a hard top and metal doors so with the AT's on it was actually quieter than my XK on the road if you can believe that. Doors off of course will be loud my wife could barely hear me on the phone when the doors where off the XK that one day. I was pleasantly surprised when I stop by and test drove the 2011's with the new interior as well. It was as comfortable as my XK the wife thought is was more comfortable but she has always said she's uncomfortable in the XK. It was roomy and solid as a rock the six speed felt good the auto is junk IMO.

wookie
06-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I feel your pain. My Wife has pretty much taken over ownership of the Commander and doesn't want to let me lift it. She will let me do any other Mod I want but no lift kit............ So there I was a dealership looking at a lifted JK mulling over trading in "my" Altima (as she points out all the time). The aftermarket is HUGE compared to the XK so it makes sense in that regard. I would lose out on the excellent mileage the Altima gets however I hate driving it in the winter as it is unresponsive and has no ground clearance, the CVT loves to spin on snow and ice. My next posting we are expecting more snow fall in the winter too. I considered another Commander but the resale sucks and I am left with limited aftermarket. More and more it looks like a JK. I would love a new Grand but they are too expensive and wont have an aftermarket parts bin for a few years and the same unibody problems we see with lifts. So a JK with stick, an actual body on frame construct, doors made to come off, tons of aftermarket (with the option to finance some from a dealership on purchase),and another pro is 2HI!! I think I may wait to get settled in the new place and see what 2012 JK's will have to offer and leave myself the option to buy a reduced 2011 or go new. So good luck with your impulsiveness, I am sitting on it for now........................maybe.

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 10:16 AM
There is only really two changes for the 2012 engine an new 5 speed auto trans. With my crazy ways off road it seems like the thing to do. I wish I could afford both but thats not going to happen at all. That after market support is huge though

2012 Wrangler
June 6th: Dealer order banks open
Mid July: Firm initial pricing announced
July 25th: Start of production

What's New:

- 3.6L 24v VVT Pentastar V6 (preliminary estimate - 283 HP/260 TQ)
- 5-speed Automatic Transmission W5A580 replaces 4-speed
- Available 18-inch 7-Spoke Polished Aluminum Wheels on Sahara
(from the 70th Anniversary Model)
- Available “Max Tow” Package
(includes 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio, Class II Receiver Hitch, Trailer Tow w/ 4-pin)

Matt
06-05-2011, 01:50 PM
wtf

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 01:52 PM
wtf

Pick your jaw up off the floor bro, LOL

Matt
FWIW... when the kids are out of daycare we're going to sell my wifes Liberty and get her a JKU. Small lift with 33s.

The JKU will be the "hers" vehicle for my wife and daughter, and we'll use it for short trips to the beach sports/etc. The XK will be the mans vehicle and used for longer trips, skiing, vacations, etc.

Matt
Pick your jaw up off the floor bro, LOL

LMAO that's exactly where it was!!!

Took me a few moments to gather my thoughts lol

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 02:03 PM
It's just one of those things bro. I love my commander I can say that for fact and don't have any really bad things to say about it. It's just one of those things I am considering doing. It's not a done deal by any means at all. I did throw my ad's back up today I have it listed in three different spots. So we will see if I get what I want I think I will let it go. I change my mind a lot I guess my bike was only two years old when I sold that LOL. I'm just thinking the JKU might fit my life style better at this point in my life. And no one will try to have me committed for pulling the doors off LMAO

HueyPilotVN
06-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Different poeple have different reasons for having a specific vehicle or type of vehicle. The important thing is to have whatever meets your needs. I plan on keeping my Commander for quite a while for several reasons. I use mine as a go anywhere in comfort type of expedition vehicle. I now have plenty of gas capacity for taking off on any trail or back road. I am not really into hard core rock crawling unless I have to get over an obsticle to continue farther down a trail. I am not afraid at all to off road in the Commander, but I try to do it carefully and responsibly. I only have a little over 30K miles on it and it has served my needs very well. I avoid mud, it is hard to remove and you never get it all if you get in a real mud pit. I also might not be a good source of information on when to trade in a vehicle because I have given away most of my old vehicles, (four Motorhomes and three automobiles). I think that the bottom line has less to do with brand loyality and more to do with what works best for your particular situation and needs. Good luck whatever you do and stick around the Forums anyway. They are really more about sharing ideas and stories than just Jeep stuff.

wookie
06-05-2011, 05:28 PM
There is only really two changes for the 2012 engine an new 5 speed auto trans. With my crazy ways off road it seems like the thing to do. I wish I could afford both but thats not going to happen at all. That after market support is huge though

I do like the new engine change that is coming but its not an end all. I hope I can afford both.......................................will wait and see.

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 05:29 PM
I've been getting more and more hard core into the rock crawling. I've been taking risks that are probably not to smart in the commander but like a champ it took it all and asked for more. I have several reasons for making the change hard core rock crawling is one of them. The cheaper parts is another and getting back on a frame which will be easier for my skill's for modding and the SFA. Add in the MPG saving I will get with the cheaper payments it makes sense to me.

Matt
06-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Honestly, if you want to get into more serious rock crawling than you're doing now, you don't need to trade the XK in for a JKU. You need to make yourself an offroad beater and tow it to the trails with the XK. You're going to break stuff on the rocks, regardless of which vehicle you go with. And as you've seen (both first hand and from other members on these forums), the capabilities of a properly equipped XK are right up there with the best of the wranglers.. and will surely leave the lower end models behind on the trails.

If you want a JKU, get it.. they're great vehicles. lol just stop trying to justify it with gas mileage. JK's are a dime a dozen on the road for a reason... aftermarket is huge and everyone wants one.

oh, and have fun blending in with the rest of the crowd :p

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Honestly, if you want to get into more serious rock crawling than you're doing now, you don't need to trade the XK in for a JKU. You need to make yourself an offroad beater and tow it to the trails with the XK. You're going to break stuff on the rocks, regardless of which vehicle you go with. And as you've seen (both first hand and from other members on these forums), the capabilities of a properly equipped XK are right up there with the best of the wranglers.. and will surely leave the lower end models behind on the trails.

If you want a JKU, get it.. they're great vehicles. lol just stop trying to justify it with gas mileage. JK's are a dime a dozen on the road for a reason... aftermarket is huge and everyone wants one.

It is a dime a dozen on the road and even more so here where I live every 4 is a wrangler in the parking lot LOL. After market being so huge is what makes the mods affordable. I can justify it with MPG because on good day everyone I know is killing me by 5 MPG on the same roads.:( When I do brake something it will be cheaper to upgrade said part.;) I don't want to tow anything to the trail I did consider the thought though. Stock sport wrangle sure my XK will dust one but put less work into it then I have into my XK and even I have to admit they will dust me. I might actually enjoy blending in a little bit more then always being the one stared at all the time.:eek: I don't want to go tit for tat here and bad mouth the jeep I still love to justify me getting a JKU the decision was a long thought out one that I struggled with as is.

Matt
06-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Well make sure you get a 2010+ then. My 2 friends that have JKU's dont get much better gas mileage than me and they're basically stock. 18mpg highway on a good day for them... but they're both earlier model years, so i guess the recent engine updates have done wonders for efficiency.

It's just kind of ironic.... all the reasons you have always touted for why the XK is great is the same reason you're getting rid of it.

Regardless. You gotta do what you gotta do.

HueyPilotVN
06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Doc has a beater if you want one. Practically give it away. I actually would give it away if it was in better shape and would not relect badly on me for giving it away. Three years ago I gave it to a friend to use because he had no transportation. When I gave it to him it was in great shape. The deal was to use it and either pay for it later when he could or give it back when he did not need it anymore. Last year he told me he sold it, but a fellow that I work with discovered that he still had it. My buddy did a REPO with an extra set of keys. I wish now that he had just left it with him. It was rode hard and put away wet. I could not believe how he had trashed it in only a few years. I paid about as much to transport it back here to AZ as it is worth.

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 06:26 PM
The 2012 gets a few more MPG's but I would like a 2011. The XK is awesome and I am happy whith it in every way. I don't have anything bad to say about it at all maybe the IFS but that's it. Life style changes needs change it is what is. I would recommend a XK to anyone without hesitation.

Matt
06-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Just wanted to add this for documentation purposes...

..... dude my wife can wheel a wrangler takes a man to wheel a commander.

:D

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Doc has a beater if you want.

Who would turn down a free jeep. If lived anywhere near there i would offer you something for it

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Just wanted to add this for documentation purposes...

:D

I remember just about everything I've said on here. I'm just surprised it took someone so long to find something of mine to quote.

Matt
06-05-2011, 06:33 PM
lol i know you had some really good lines posted on jeepforum... i was looking there first but since im not a paying member i cant use their search feature, and Google wasn't cutting it.

So i got that one as my backup for bustin your balls lol

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 06:38 PM
The amount of readicule I've taken for the crazy stuff I've done bro my skin is like armor plating by now LMAO and your still in arms reach by the way I would duck if I were you

Matt
06-05-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm not worried... i can take a hit from any woman who drives a JKU:p

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm not worried... i can take a hit from any woman who drives a JKU:p

That's no way to talk to a lady

Matt
06-05-2011, 07:16 PM
lmao you got me there

Tymac
06-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Without reading through posts 2 through 28, I'm sure someone has offered this:

This weekend I used my wonderful Commander to tow my trail rig so I could go wheeling. After a long day of wheeling in a dedicated rig it's real nice to slip into the Commander, crank the a/c and tunes and enjoy the 1 to 6 hour ride home.

Do you really want to buy something newer, go through the expense and aggravation of building it and then wheel the snot out of it? All you other meatballs hold your input, this was for Sal only.

Sal-XK
06-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Without reading through posts 2 through 28, I'm sure someone has offered this:

This weekend I used my wonderful Commander to tow my trail rig so I could go wheeling. After a long day of wheeling in a dedicated rig it's real nice to slip into the Commander, crank the a/c and tunes and enjoy the 1 to 6 hour ride home.

Do you really want to buy something newer, go through the expense and aggravation of building it and then wheel the snot out of it? All you other meatballs hold your input, this was for Sal only.

Ya Matt mentioned the trail rig. I really don't have room for a trailer plus a rig plus a boat. I live in south yes but I bought a house in a normal subdivision and the lots are pretty small. I did how ever give it some thought and just decided against it. Starting a new project is part of the appeal to me. My wife reminds me how fast I change my mind on things LMAO I can be impulsive as I said earlier very impulsive it's just who I am. I've said multiple times no more mods going to wait and with in 5 minuets found myself in the garage cutting something up or pulling something off. LOL

lol i know you had some really good lines posted on jeepforum... i was looking there first but since im not a paying member i cant use their search feature, and Google wasn't cutting it.

So i got that one as my backup for bustin your balls lol

I can't change my mind now or Matt will think he had something to do with it LMAO

Chapman89
06-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Dude, you have to do whatever makes you happy at the end of the day. I'll admit after watching you at the last two events I can understand why you'd want a JK. Even if you had a 4 inch lift and 33's an XK is still not much of a rock crawler. Just a few seconds after riding around in Matts Rubicon I was hooked! haha

Matt
06-06-2011, 04:31 AM
I can't change my mind now or Matt will think he had something to do with it LMAO

Yes, i would like to take credit for retaining one of this sites MVM's and an XK wheeling Icon.

I will say this, if you succeed in selling your XK, this place won't be the same! Your mods, wheeling and antics are one of the great things about this place. And (dont take this the wrong way) as much as i like, and eventually will get, the JKs... there's just nothing exciting about seeing them being built or wheeled. LOL i live in central/south NJ, every other house has a built JK. It's kind of like watching the same rerun over and over and over again. The things you were doing with your XK were a fresh change to the norm.

I'm also hoping that the XK and WK platform will start getting more aftermarket support... remember they're just 5-6 years old; a lot of people are just now paying off their new purchases or are ready to move on to a newer vehicle. Once the average "used" price for these vehicles start dropping, more people will be lifting/modding/wheeling them and then more aftermarket support will emerge. I've been into modding vehicles my whole life (literally since i was 5), i've seen this evolution many times before.

criket
06-06-2011, 06:21 AM
I understand where you are coming from Sal. There is a limit to what you can do with these XK/WK's. Like me, I have another mod in the works and if it doesn't work out (ie computer won't allow it) I'm getting something else with a SFA. If you want to do rock crawling, get a beater and tow it, IMO. But we all have different desires and goals so what I want is probably different than you or anyone else on here.

Just promise me one thing. Whatever you do, still go wheeling at uwharrie with us. Happy wheeling man.

IamJEEP
06-06-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm late to the party again, someone needs to text......."Yo, check this thread out!".

Anywho,
Sal, you have to do what your heart says and take the bull by the balls (I'm sure you don't have any issues doing so, lol). You have inspired myself as well as others to mod and push the XK limits with your aggressive antics. You are an inspiration to current and future XK owners, knowing it can be wheeled. Wranglers are badass, period. i just don't like the attitude that comes with the name. I'm sure if and when you do buy a JKU, you will NOT just "blend" in. So, do what you want bro it's you decision. You don't need any of us trying to convince you to either sell or not.

I would wheel with you even if you were in a roided Samuri!

O.K.........knee pads off.

CmmdrDan
06-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Nooooooooo!

Sal-XK
06-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes, i would like to take credit for retaining one of this sites MVM's and an XK wheeling Icon.

Well, if I can't sell it then you can take credit LOL and we'll just say you talked me out of it LOL

Just promise me one thing. Whatever you do, still go wheeling at uwharrie with us. Happy wheeling man.

I'll always wheel at Uwharrie bro and I hope to still hang out and camp with you guys and attend any events that are put on by you guys I'm not going anywhere just trying to get a new Jeep thats it.

I'm late to the party again, someone needs to text......."Yo, check this thread out!".

Anywho,
Sal, you have to do what your heart says and take the bull by the balls (I'm sure you don't have any issues doing so, lol). You have inspired myself as well as others to mod and push the XK limits with your aggressive antics. You are an inspiration to current and future XK owners, knowing it can be wheeled. Wranglers are badass, period. i just don't like the attitude that comes with the name. I'm sure if and when you do buy a JKU, you will NOT just "blend" in. So, do what you want bro it's you decision. You don't need any of us trying to convince you to either sell or not.

I would wheel with you even if you were in a roided Samuri!

O.K.........knee pads off.

Thanks for the compliments the main reason I'm looking at the base sport model yes the one with 16" wheels WTF LOL is to have a basic bare bones jeep and start from the ground up and build it my way.

Nooooooooo!

Yesssssssssssssssssss! :)

I would like to thank everyone for all the nice things you've been saying :o Like I told Don I would still like to attend ECC and any events I can that the groups are putting on I just won't be doing it in as much style as everyone else :) I will stick around the forum I have lots of knowledge to pass on and like seeing what the XK is being put through. But I regress I have to sell my jeep first. Tried selling the old lady's car but she doesn't think the XK comfortable so I lost again. I'm still playing with numbers and trying to find a way to do both it just don't look good right now.

CmmdrDan
06-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Good Luck man. I hope you find what you are looking for and I hope you keep this garage updated with the new one!

jcoulter
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM

This.

TrialByFire
06-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Sal,
I don't think you'll see a lot of difference in the mileage. The folks around here with anything but a stock JKU are getting about 13mpg on the highway (according to what they tell me, at least). The frontal area is about the same as the XK and they're about as aero too, so it doesn't surprise me. BTW, on my way to Moab (380 miles, fully-loaded, 3 people, hills & 1 crossing of the Continental Divide), I got an average of 16 mpg. On the way back, I averaged 18 (19.5 on the second tank). Admittedly, we were driving 60, so it took us an extra half-hour to get there. At 70 mph with the new lift, we are getting about 15.

I'm with Matt. Keep the XK for towing your crawler to the really extreme stuff! You are going to give up a lot of comfort for little gain in off-road capability. The 'fun factor' would be higher in a JKU though.

WanderingTs
06-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I love my XK as much as the next guy, but when it doesn't meet my needs anymore, it too will hafta go. If your heart has moved on, there is a reason. A loss for the rest of us to be sure, but different needs is why there are so many kinds of vehicles out there.

Brandon1024
06-06-2011, 09:44 PM
I would say go JKU all the way. Its what I wanted the whole time and I ended up settling for the XK. Might I add that after getting ripped on for my gas mileage post about JKU that you ended up mentioning it in your thread and that I was right :). Also the biggest pro for the JKU is the endless mods and the prices for different things. You will love it. Im jealous I dont have this option.

Brandon1024
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Sal,
I don't think you'll see a lot of difference in the mileage. The folks around here with anything but a stock JKU are getting about 13mpg on the highway (according to what they tell me, at least). The frontal area is about the same as the XK and they're about as aero too, so it doesn't surprise me. BTW, on my way to Moab (380 miles, fully-loaded, 3 people, hills & 1 crossing of the Continental Divide), I got an average of 16 mpg. On the way back, I averaged 18 (19.5 on the second tank). Admittedly, we were driving 60, so it took us an extra half-hour to get there. At 70 mph with the new lift, we are getting about 15.

I'm with Matt. Keep the XK for towing your crawler to the really extreme stuff! You are going to give up a lot of comfort for little gain in off-road capability. The 'fun factor' would be higher in a JKU though.

People are on crack... Go to Jk-Forum.com and look around. Gas mileage of JKU is way better. To get the same Mileage as the XK people will be running 5.13 gear ratios with 37-40" tires...

Chapman89
06-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Sal, if the time comes where you consider parting with some of your mods let me know. If timing is right aka having extra cash I'd definitely be interested.

I guess I'm the first shark to come after the goods! haha

CmmdrDan
06-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Sal, if the time comes where you consider parting with some of your mods let me know. If timing is right aka having extra cash I'd definitely be interested.

I guess I'm the first shark to come after the goods! haha

You were the first to ask but I doubt the first to think it.

ped4599
06-07-2011, 01:26 PM
so did you save the plastic you cut off the bumper to glue back on? or just hoping to find a buyer to take as is?.....just joking around. Im sure if you find the right buyer it will be a win win. I will just say i Love my XK. I also Love any jeep. each style serves a purpose and a personality. I would have a jeep of every flavor if i had the garage that would hold them all. The XK is the the multi purpose vehicle that does everything from some moderate offroading, to taking the family around town, to pulling heavier trailers. If you want a rig more dedicated to one specific thing, then I think you need to do what you feel in your gut. I dont think anyone would fault you for that. And you are always welcome to come on the trails no matter what you are driving.

Sal-XK
06-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I've decided to keep the XK. I was driving it today and just changed my mind. I do that sometimes LOL. The more I thought about selling it the more uncomfortable I was getting. Also only getting 4hrs of sleep a night for the last couple of weeks has me very moody which means I might have not been making a good decision so I'm just going to keep it. It is what it is and I'm suppose to be getting a boat this fall as well not sure I want to tow that with a JK. So let the gloating and ribbing's and I told you so's fly.

Matt
06-07-2011, 03:26 PM
That made my day!!!

Glad to have you back man https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Sal-XK
06-07-2011, 03:30 PM
That made my day!!!

Glad to have you back man https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

We all have our moments of insanity bro. I still want a wrangler I just don't want to loose my XK to do it. I thought I could let it go but I couldn't do it.

LWM
06-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I am glad to hear that, now we need to get you to WC Camp Commander!

hoaxci5
06-07-2011, 03:52 PM
and here I was in the shadows hoping my red XK would take your throne...

Matt
06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
We all have our moments of insanity bro. I still want a wrangler I just don't want to loose my XK to do it. I thought I could let it go but I couldn't do it.

I hear ya man. I had a 98 Wrangler at one point... only thing that sucked was the 4cyl but it did have the 5spd manual. I'll eventually have a JKU as well, but it'll compliment my XK and be the wifes. I'm sure you'll be able to add one to your lineup someday

IamJEEP
06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
and here I was in the shadows hoping my red XK would take your throne...

I have wheeled in the tire ruts Sal's redness has created. Therefor, my red XK would of been next in line for throness. Lol......

XK N00b
06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
so did you save the plastic you cut off the bumper to glue back on? or just hoping to find a buyer to take as is?.....just joking around. Im sure if you find the right buyer it will be a win win. I will just say i Love my XK. I also Love any jeep.

Hmm, I really like MOST jeeps, I'd love an FC-150, but I've gotta say, the Compass offends me :P

Sal-XK
06-07-2011, 04:43 PM
You guys are to funny but thanks for the reality checks guys. I don't let any jeep offend me I guess they all add to Jeeps bottom line in sales so that can only help I guess. So I guess some tube or half doors are back on the mod list LMAO

Chapman89
06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I think it was back in January when I really considered selling my XK for a JK, after getting all of those stupid ads from my local Jeep dealerships requesting my XK b/c their used lot was depleted. I even got offered $1,000 below my purchase price (bought the XK in Nov 09) by a salesman one day on the lot when I was just looking. It was extremely tempting but I had to pass.

If I were to sell right now I'd go pick up a 2011 Dark Cherry Red JK Sport 6 speed that I pass everyday at the dealership. I really like the interior design change on the 2011 models, they feel a lot better and less "cheap" per say.

hoaxci5
06-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I can see myself getting a wrangler of some sort in the future or maybe a LR Defender if I came across one at the right price. It won't be for a couple of years though and will totally depend on our family situation since a lot is about to change in a year. So it could range from replace XK with 4 door JK to add TJ/JK/Defender as a dedicated trail rig to tow behind the XK.

Brandon1024
06-07-2011, 08:15 PM
You guys are to funny but thanks for the reality checks guys. I don't let any jeep offend me I guess they all add to Jeeps bottom line in sales so that can only help I guess. So I guess some tube or half doors are back on the mod list LMAO
Tube doors would be amazing. id buy instantly.

hoaxci5
06-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I can't see myself doing either tube or half.. but I can for sure say tube is out. I've flung too much mud on my interior already with full doors and windows down, there is no way I would do tube doors.

Holaday07 4.7
06-08-2011, 08:02 AM
With all the power and features on the Xk, I love it so far, but I will be purchasing a yj down the road that I can flat tow to trails. A little more open air and will get my Wrangler fix without sacrificing room and ride quality.

StateRoad42
06-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I have myself on time out at the moment. LMAO part of the time out was putting this posting this thread to slow me down. I'm a very impulsive person and thats not always good. :) The wife would like me to save gas of course and the factory warranty is very appealing as well. I appreciate your thoughts and I have meet some really cool dudes on here and I don't think what I drive or don't drive would matter, I hope not anyway:)

Keep the Commander. You've done so much with it already, and yes there are more capable offroad vehicles but, really, the Commander will always have long term historical significance and appeal. Especially 10 years down the road. Even with its bad reputation, the people that love them, LOVE them and you can always get a $4000 wrangler if need be. I say keep the XK.

Holaday07 4.7
06-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Keep the Commander. You've done so much with it already, and yes there are more capable offroad vehicles but, really, the Commander will always have long term historical significance and appeal. Especially 10 years down the road. Even with its bad reputation, the people that love them, LOVE them and you can always get a $4000 wrangler if need be. I say keep the XK.

Exactly!

ped4599
06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
OK, BEFORE you sell it or make any decisions.......Come to the WCCC in Colorado. After a week of trails in the Rocky Mts, if you still want to sell it and get something else, then so be it. BUT you should atleast say you have taken it to some of the highest places in the lower 48. Then if you still want to send it down the road to another home, you will have made a sound and thought out decision! :)

Sal-XK
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I've decided to keep the XK. I was driving it today and just changed my mind. I do that sometimes LOL. The more I thought about selling it the more uncomfortable I was getting. Also only getting 4hrs of sleep a night for the last couple of weeks has me very moody which means I might have not been making a good decision so I'm just going to keep it. It is what it is and I'm suppose to be getting a boat this fall as well not sure I want to tow that with a JK. So let the gloating and ribbing's and I told you so's fly.

I think some of you missed this post. I'm just saying LOL

IamJEEP
06-08-2011, 02:19 PM

Lol, i think everyone missed that part.

Sal-XK
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Well to give my XK kind of a welcome back I'm going to go to the beach and camp this weekend and get the XK back out there doing its thing.

Matt
06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I think you should put a post in the "new member" forum and change your name to Sal-XK2 as a tribute to your "rebirth" :)

Sal-XK
06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I think you should put a post in the "new member" forum and change your name to Sal-XK2 as a tribute to your "rebirth" :)

Don't think that's going to happen buddy LOL I only had it for sale for like two days that's not long enough.

Matt
06-08-2011, 02:41 PM
hahahaha, just gotta break your balls while its still fresh!

Sal-XK
06-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I know, I deserve it too so get it in while you can. LMAO

LWM
06-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I fixed your thread title :)

beemer9
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Sal
Hope you get the Jeep you want!
But before you get rid of your XK, explain what the "4xGuard belly skid w/Custom High Clearance Mod" is.
I've got the Belly Guard and noticed I lost an inch or 2 clearance after installation.
I've been thinking of how to fix it, and just noticed the reference to your mod.
What did you do?
Got pictures?
Thanks.

hoaxci5
06-08-2011, 06:34 PM
hahah you will laugh when you know too :D

IamJEEP
06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Lol, i was going to let the secret out but i will let Sal answer that one. Lol.....

beemer9
06-08-2011, 06:51 PM
OK. Now I'm REALLY curious!

Sal-XK
06-08-2011, 06:56 PM
LMAO the high clearance mod is actually in reference to me landing on it so hard I bent it a little and Matt made the joke high clearance mod.

Now there is a thread of one guy who cut out and modified his cross member for more clearance but I'm not sure how that effects the skids or not.

Matt
06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
hahahahahahahahahaha

I knew the "high clearance mod" would surface in a thread somewhere! good times :)

ped4599
06-09-2011, 01:45 AM

OK, i missed that post. but you should still come to Colorado! :)

IamJEEP
06-09-2011, 03:49 AM
Sal, just in case these guys get out of hand......just copy and print out this voucher (look below) as many times as needed. You're welcome.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/owned-1.gif

beemer9
06-10-2011, 02:40 PM
And I imagine that "high clearance" mod was fully planned out in advance!

Sal-XK
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
And I imagine that "high clearance" mod was fully planned out in advance!

I took a line I never took before at Uwharrie and came straight down on the belly guard pretty hard. You expect those hits while rock crawling but the really hard ones still wake you up and make you wonder what you broke LOL

Sal-XK
06-10-2011, 02:49 PM
OK, i missed that post. but you should still come to Colorado! :)

I wish I could swing it bro. I did some calculations and there an back is 3 days of driving at least and about $850 in gas. That's just getting there and back not including food camping and what ever else comes up including the gas to wheel while there. Add in the maintenance I would need when I got back and I'm looking at 7 days off work and at least $1500 to cover the trip. Hopefully next year will be a better year and I can make that trip happen.

IamJEEP
06-11-2011, 02:19 AM
I wish I could swing it bro. I did some calculations and there an back is 3 days of driving at least and about $850 in gas. That's just getting there and back not including food camping and what ever else comes up including the gas to wheel while there. Add in the maintenance I would need when I got back and I'm looking at 7 days off work and at least $1500 to cover the trip. Hopefully next year will be a better year and I can make that trip happen.

I would love to afford a trip like that. I'll be in debt over this past road trip for a couple of months, nevermind one to Colorado. That state is beautiful tho, I lived there for a month and didn't really want to leave (freaken chicks make you do stupid crap, lol). Maybe next year we can meet up and caravan to the Rockies!

cico7
06-11-2011, 04:28 AM
I would love to afford a trip like that. I'll be in debt over this past road trip for a couple of months, nevermind one to Colorado. That state is beautiful tho, I lived there for a month and didn't really want to leave (freaken chicks make you do stupid crap, lol). Maybe next year we can meet up and caravan to the Rockies!

If you are going that far, Moab!

Sal-XK
06-11-2011, 05:02 AM

Amen to that bro!

IamJEEP
06-11-2011, 01:55 PM

Hell Yeah!

LWM
06-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Amen to that bro!

Hell Yeah!

Camp Commander 2012

bigmaninds
06-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Weigh out the pro and cons and see which decision would make more sense. Follow your gut instinct...

Sal-XK
06-11-2011, 07:35 PM
One thing came real apparent today. If I had bought a JK there is no way I would of got all four of us and all the gear I dragged along with a wrangler to the beach. Basket is full cargo is full rear seats folded down and hitch basket was full.

NeilSmith
06-12-2011, 10:10 AM
One thing came real apparent today. If I had bought a JK there is no way I would of got all four of us and all the gear I dragged along with a wrangler to the beach. Basket is full cargo is full rear seats folded down and hitch basket was full.

this is something i know about very well. the jk has nowhere near enough room for a family on a trip to the beach.