PDA

View Full Version : I got stuck LOL

Sal-XK
06-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I got stuck trying to help someone hahahhaha I dug in real good. I put pics on my face book I'm on the wife's phon.

Matt
06-11-2011, 07:18 PM
fail

we need pics! :p

Sal-XK
06-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I'll throw them on here tomorrow when I get home. I told the lady she popped my beach cherry LMAO first time I got stuck at the beach.

Matt
06-12-2011, 01:12 PM
cough

NeilSmith
06-12-2011, 02:23 PM
dude, how'd you get stuck on the beach ? i didnt think i could get the XK stuck out there if i tried, obviously i didnt try. :)

Sal-XK
06-12-2011, 04:28 PM
The sand at the beach I go to is not like the beaches further north or like the one you were on last year. The sand is always loose with huge ruts and normal 4x4 trucks get buried all the time out there. There is also random spots that seem to be worse then others that swallows people up. I never get stuck out there but trying to pull this girl out I spun my tires and sank down and rested on my belly guard and that's it man not going anywhere after that.

This one you can see the sand is half way up my wheel. Just past me is the black grand Cherokee that is stuck with QD2.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/Stuck-1.jpg

The right tow strap is hooked to the SUV I was helping the left one is hooked up to the Ford getting me pulled out.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/Stuck2525203-1.jpg

You can kinda see how soft the sand is. In some spots if you stop you aint going again.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/Stuck2525204-1.jpg

NeilSmith
06-12-2011, 05:04 PM
no pics bro. i understand now. i dont ever try to pull anyone out, all you do is spin which digs deeper and deeper. the best vehicle for recovery out there is a big heavy truck with a winch, or tow truck.

Holaday07 4.7
06-12-2011, 05:08 PM
nice! I didn't fully understand the advantge of a winch until this weekend either. I really wish I could get an ARB bumber for the commander.

Matt
06-12-2011, 05:09 PM
sand is some tough stuff!

Sal-XK
06-12-2011, 05:27 PM
The guy who yanked us all out was a pro for sure. He pulled forward and backed up several times packing the sand down. He never spun enough to dig in like I did LOL he just took his time got a good run and yanked me out in one pull and the other black jeep in one pull. The Envoy I think it was took a long time to get out we had to drag it back 30' with me driving it LOL. Both the other vehicles had there plastic bumpers ripped right off. Of course I was the only one with front hooks and had no issues getting yanked out. All in all another great time at the beach.

pjmjr508
06-13-2011, 12:26 PM
had the same issue @ pismo beach in ca.

CmmdrDan
06-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Was this OBX? I cant wait to get down there in July!

Sal-XK
06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Was this OBX? I cant wait to get down there in July!

No it's freeman park at Carolina beach NC

Adondo
06-14-2011, 11:45 AM
The guy who yanked us all out was a pro for sure. He pulled forward and backed up several times packing the sand down. He never spun enough to dig in like I did LOL he just took his time got a good run and yanked me out in one pull and the other black jeep in one pull.

The sand won't pack down... that's the problem with sand. Wet sand will hold together better, but still doesn't really pack down. It "gives" too easy, and when you spin a tire, it digs a hole because it gives way. That's why you drive as if you have an egg on the gas pedal, and are afraid of breaking it while in sand.

The idea, (and what the pro did) was to use a dynamic (Stretching type) "snatch strap." Rather than spin a tire and dig his own hole pulling against dead weight, he stays on top of the sand and uses momentum to yank the stuck rig out. Sometimes it takes a couple of yanks to get the job done.

When you carry recovery gear, you really need two straps... a dynamic type and static type. The static (non-stretch) can/should be used as a tow strap, the other for pulling people out.

The other way to get out (if you're alone) is to put the rig back on top and make attempt #2 to get loose. An X-Jack (http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-Straps-And-Recovery-Gear/Exhaust-Jacks/46.aspx) is perfect for this. Lift the rig with the X-Jack, fill in the holes, and get it back on top of the sand. Digging for hours and making ramps back to the surface may or may not work, and it's a waste of time. And... mainly because the undercarriage is against the sand, making too much drag.